Edge of Tomorrow (2014)

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Looks really entertaining and compelling. Emily Blunt fits in that role well in a way I wouldn't expect from a female actress. Tom Cruise is always good at this part.

Beyond that I love big budget sci fi, robotics and power armor.

Phoenix Prime_sl

shitlord
Besides the obvious Halo look to it, I see inspirations from Wh40k techmarines, and possibly a slight bit of Exosquad if they have any heavy duty type frames.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
adoption from japanese light novel.

All_You_Need_Is_Kill.jpg

All You Need Is Kill - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Rime

<Donor>
The song from the trailer is 'This Is Not The End' (a cover/remix) by Fieldwork. It can be found on iTunes, but nothing on Youtube yet.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
The song from the trailer is 'This Is Not The End' (a cover/remix) by Fieldwork. It can be found on iTunes, but nothing on Youtube yet.
Thank you, it's on Amazon too. So freaking weird it's not on youtube after the trailer has been so popular.

Column_sl

shitlord
adoption from japanese light novel.

All_You_Need_Is_Kill.jpg
According to the people that have read that manga they are really pissed at the armor design.

in the book the armor completely covered them with thick plating because the enemies are ultra dense and tear through most human materials easily. These designs wouldn't hold up in a knife fight.

rrr_img_53030.jpg
rrr_img_53031.jpg

Juvarisx

Florida
I like it personally, its something I could see being used in our lifetime. I'd rather have a movie like that then one that is just whatever your imagination can think of disregarding current technology.

Column_sl

shitlord
Except it has nothing to do with technology. The design is shit...

who the hell keeps doing these mecha/exoskeleton designs where the soldier's torso and head are completely exposed?

I get the practical answer, it's that there's no way we're covering up one square centimeter of Tom Cruise's face, but dang, it's silly. Cover the torso and armor the limbs a little, at least. It could have been a totally cool helmet-less exosuit and I wouldna said nothin', but now all I can think about is the whole arm of the suit being useless because the guiding mechanism (your arm) caught a chunk of low-velocity shrapnel that nevertheless severed a major artery or ripped up the muscles.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Except it has nothing to do with technology. The design is shit...
Well, it's based off of a real thing military thing is developing. The powered exosuit isn't really meant as armor though, it's supposed to be for moving supplies and carrying larger weapons (And the ammo needed for it.) Essentially it's more of an endurance multiplier, because right now it needs an external power source (So it's essentially like a wearable fork lift, letting one guy do the job of 4 guys in terms of base set ups ect).

I think there is a more recent version that doesn't need outside power--but essentially it's the same principle, it's really just to move supplies and weapons to hard to reach areas, I suppose because of the constraints of the battery pack preventing them from really exploiting it for anything else for more than a few hours of operation.

However, yeah, it seems like the obvious practical evolution of that is to essentially account for the weight of armor thick enough to protect soldiers--considering the main constraint of armor right now, as far as I understand it, is the weight. An exossuit designed for lifting could make it so wearing 300lbs of armor felt like nothing (Which would be awesome.)

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
Trailer finally prompted me to read the English adaptation. I have to say I hate Emily Blunt for the role - the book version of her is a joined at 16, manner-less farmer's daughter that's turned into the world's foremost killing machine from being stuck in a loop for hundreds of battles. I still don't buy Blunt as a farmer. (SorryLooper.)

Yeah, the armor is different from the book version, but it's not because of the enemy's weaponry (nearly any hit from them is a kill, and the death rates for the humans are horrendous), but because their "blood" is actually terraforming nanobots, and highly toxic to earth life.

Whereas the trailer talks about "the invasion", and has quite a bit of footage of Cruise-on-human violence - I'm hoping the climax isn't Cruise killing the human leadership before they can launch their attack.

Oblivion was like 6 months ago
Given that I was responding to a comment thatmentioned Oblivion, I assumedanyonewould know that I was including that in the "since" math. Clearly I overestimated.

Column_sl

shitlord
Which would be fine if this was Ripley fighting off an alien with a top loader, but these suits were designed to fight aliens that shred humans like they are nothing...

Phoenix Prime_sl

shitlord
I find it funny how people are getting mad at the suit designs. They are mass produced light infantrysuits that are probably built by the lowest bidder. Of course their gonna cut corners on armor for the mass production types. You can see Emily Blunt's character using a more streamlined version that covers more and seems lighter. She also has a full helmet she uses too.

The suit design gives me a 40k techmarine vibe and if they have bigger more heavily armed suits maybe even an exosquad vibe as well.

Column_sl

shitlord
I find it funny how people are getting mad at the suit designs. They are mass produced light infantrysuits that are probably built by the lowest bidder. Of course their gonna cut corners on armor for the mass production types. You can see Emily Blunt's character using a more streamlined version that covers more and seems lighter. She also has a full helmet she uses too.
According to the cliffnotes on the short story that is not how it worked.

They built an exoskeleton that could lift a ton of weight, and then put heavy armor on it so the troops were mobile...

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
IM SO MAD THE ARMOR ISNT RIGHT

No wait i dont give a shit. Looks interesting.