Elden Ring - From Software + George RR Martin

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Idk my son has played through it like five times, he loves it. There are some things I don’t like about it that keep it from getting a lot of praise from me but I’d still say it was better than okay.

What are the BotW clones? He’d probably like something before botw 2 comes out, if they’re on Switch.

Fenyx is one that has already been mentioned. Another one worth mentioning is Genshin Impact. Maybe not good for your son because the pay model is extremely predatory but as far as gameplay goes, it did BotW but better in every area except dungeons (BotW divine beasts were better).

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Fenyx is one that has already been mentioned. Another one worth mentioning is Genshin Impact. Maybe not good for your son because the pay model is extremely predatory but as far as gameplay goes, it did BotW but better in every area except dungeons (BotW divine beasts were better).
Yeah I’m not letting him do the mobile game thing. He’s only 7, doesn’t fully get the value of money yet. He played one called fishdom for a long time that is like candy crush I guess but with fish theme. He would ask for money to buy boosts and shit and we’d usually tell him no and discuss why it was so wasteful. We did buy him a pack a few times and made him use his own money and after his boost shit was gone I’d talk to him about how now he has nothing and he could’ve still had money. He wouldn’t get sad or anything I’d just kind of say “Do you see what I was talking about how it was a waste?” He didn’t really at first but eventually he would respond with “they’re just trying to take my money” and stopped asking for it. Hopefully he will grow up to be a cheap bastard and never gets hooked on mobile.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Checking some quest guides and yea... I missed like 80% of the npcs in this game.

• 5Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
So I cleared the topside portion of the capital, and have the Grace point outside of the erd tree. If I go into the boss gate there, does that end the game?

I'm still working on volcano world, some of the underground, and haven't even been to snow land.

I've been trying to keep away from spoilers with the story, and typically the only time I might look up something on a boss is if I'm at them and I'm just banging my head against a wall.

I guess it's safe for me to go in there, or does it conclude the main game?

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
So I cleared the topside portion of the capital, and have the Grace point outside of the erd tree. If I go into the boss gate there, does that end the game?

I'm still working on volcano world, some of the underground, and haven't even been to snow land.

I've been trying to keep away from spoilers with the story, and typically the only time I might look up something on a boss is if I'm at them and I'm just banging my head against a wall.

nope, where you're at isn't the end of the game

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

zignor 4

Molten Core Raider

Not even close.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Thank U GIF

• 2Worf
  • 1Like

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I think I have a solution for ER depression. The only thing From Software could have added to make the end game even better and NEVER stop playing it.

• 2Solidarity

Yaamean

Molten Core Raider
Damn, man, still cant fucking get the W on Elden Beast. I have literally gotten him below the B in his name with like 6 flasks left, and I mis-timed the aura grab move he does and it was game over.

It really wouldn't be bad if he didnt teleport after I am able to land like 2 hits on him. Every once in a while he will do the melee stuff and I've staggered him, but most of the time the fucker ports away as soon as he takes a hit. So frustrating, but the game is still amazing!

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I think I have a solution for ER depression. The only thing From Software could have added to make the end game even better and NEVER stop playing it.

The bishop of battle!

That was such a great movie growing up as a kid. I think I caught it on a midnight local station on a Saturday, or you'd stay up all night to watch a scary movie. I don't remember the name of it but I think it was a tales from the creep show montage.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Hoarax Loux or whatever was a nightmare for me, mainly due to his annoying grab attacks, I thought the first phase was pretty fun but I was so glad to kill him after the 2nd phase, not sure why but it seemed cheesy as fuck.

Elden Beast is all that remains before the next playthrough, still not sure what build I'm gonna try but I do want to use the summons and magic, they both look like they could be fun.

157 hours and I still want more :(

I'm actually considering getting the PS4 version just to play it form scratch and platinum it a second time. So if all else fails, platinuming it twice is an option.

NG+ isn't lighting my fire, cause as others have said, the magic isn't really there compared to the first run when you're filling everything in. At least you can roll over the early bosses. It's mostly just making me want to start over on PS4.

As far as Elden Beast goes, I managed to take off like half of its HP in one big round of attacks (think the Mimic and I staggered it) and then just...nothing, didn't damage it again for a minute or two, while it flew around with like 10% health left. Ran like hell from the big ring attacks and the energy rain. Use some holy resists. Dunno if scarlet rot works on it but if so you could get that on it so it's still taking damage when it flies off for a while.

Tauntworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I know you guys have been talking about other games after Elden Ring. I just saw a trailer for this, but there's not much information about it. Looks like it'll be open world and heavily influenced by a particular artist, can't remember the guy's name, but you'll recognize it if you've seen his work.

Could be an absolute dud or could be awesome, who knows.

I don't think it's even popped up on steam yet.

Some Wayne Barlowe lookin' shit in there. Good find

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Some Wayne Barlowe lookin' shit in there. Good find
That's the fucking guy!!!

I just couldn't remember his name, but his artwork is really amazing. I was just having a brain aneurysm earlier trying to figure it out and remember.

Thank you, sir.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Pretty noobish at the game. Started Vagabond and just beat Rennala. Entire Raya just super absurd, lol. I'm using shield and board - Zweihander and a blue crest knight shield. I still have all the basic armor. I have not used any spirit ashes (never really knew how to use them) nor incantations. Not entirely sure where to go - I have just been exploring. Don't even know where to get better armor. -.-

Is S&B pointless? Should I go other specs now that I can actually respec? My attacks are soooo slow.

Armor isn't really "better" or "worse" it's more about the heaviest armor you can wear while not fat rolling.

Depending on your endurance/talismans the "best" could be pretty much anything

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
133 hours later I finally beat the game. Have a few bosses and items I missed, but not bad for a first play through. Is it just me or was the story a bit confusing? Half the time I didn’t know why I was killing a boss or what their real significance was other than collecting great runes (which I never ended up using with rune arcs or buying their gear from the finger lady). 99% of the armor and weapon drops I didn’t even use. Felt like I was playing just to explore and discover things, which was thoroughly enjoyable. What a masterpiece of a game. I enjoyed just about every moment of the journey.

Most of the story of the game is your own journey through it IMO.

Which reminds me. Lot of Game Journalists saying that the game needs to have an easy mode so they can "experience the story".

I play the game as designed/intended and think that people wanting it changed might as well be scribbling on the Mona Lisa or saying she should smile more.

What do other people think about this? I know the predominant opinion is "no" on an easy mode, but why exactly? Why would it ruin the game for us, if we could just not use the easy mode? That seems to be the main crux of the argument.

Personally I think I'm too mentally weak, and if there's a readily-accessible easy mode, I'd default to that at the first sign of trouble (thus robbing myself of a much better experience). That could be a "me problem" but I feel like it isn't, humans naturally go after the path of least resistance. I like that ER can be made easy with some work and the right builds, and working to create my own easier mode is 100x more fulfilling than pressing a switch.

I could be wrong about myself because I put a lot of work into getting OP in FFIX Remaster, despite that they included a literal goddamn "win button" to instakill bosses. /Picard

Never used it, still micromanaged my party for optimal effectiveness. And "accessibility" babies could still use the win button the second they're faced with any kind of mild resistance.

Side note, weird how "accessibility" has been hijacked. Accessibility in the sense of making games that more people can play despite their disabilities = good thing. However The Journos have conflated the word with "making things easy so I don't need to work or think".

Last edited:
  • 4Solidarity

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Most of the story of the game is your own journey through it IMO.

Which reminds me. Lot of Game Journalists saying that the game needs to have an easy mode. I play the game as designed/intended and think that people wanting it changed might as well be scribbling on the Mona Lisa or saying she should smile more.

What do other people think about this? I know the predominant opinion is "no" on an easy mode, but why exactly? Why would it ruin the game for us, if we could just not use the easy mode? That seems to be the main crux of the argument.

Personally I think I'm too mentally weak, and if there's a readily-accessible easy mode, I'd default to that at the first sign of trouble (thus robbing myself of a much better experience). That could be a "me problem" but I feel like it isn't, humans naturally go after the path of least resistance. I like that ER can be made easy with some work and the right builds, and working to create my own easier mode is 100x more fulfilling than pressing a switch.

I could be wrong about myself because I put a lot of work into getting OP in FFIX Remaster, despite that they included a literal goddamn "win button" to instakill bosses. /Picard

Never used it, still micromanaged my party for optimal effectiveness. And "accessibility" babies could still use the win button the second they're faced with any kind of mild resistance.

Side note, weird how "accessibility" has been hijacked. Accessibility in the sense of making games that more people can play despite their disabilities = good thing. However The Journos have conflated the word with "making things easy so I don't need to work or think".
I don't really care what journalists say, but I understand what you're saying.

Easy mode is if you decide to over level and then use whatever powerful weapons, ashes, tactics to blow an encounter out of the water. You can do whatever you want.

You have every right to do so and the capability of achieving it, it's just whether you want to or not. There are some fights where I become a cheese fucking master, trying to exploit terrain, and figuring out the cheapest / convenient spells or weapons to take down a boss. Others it's a straight-up brawl, and you got to put your money where your mouth is with having learned the game and whatever weapon you're using. Either victory is satisfying to me. I'll never be one of those autistic weirdos running around handicapping themselves. I don't have a time to sit there nor the massochism to put my dick against a cheese grater trying to be the game only using torches.

At the end of the day that's all about whether or not I had fun. I don't need some faggot writing an article to tell me I didn't play the game the way it was intended.

I just want to have fun playing a video game in my spare time. I guess to each their own, even if they have dumbass opinions.

• 3Like
  • 1Truth!

Yaamean

Molten Core Raider
Finally got that mofo, I didn't take as long as I did on Malenia, but damn, it definitely shouldn't have taken that long.

The winning fight I started Elden Beast with 12 flasks and ended with 3, insane. I really think a big part of it was going from such a quick reaction time for Radagon, to a much slower dodge speed for EB. I'll post a video of my Radagon kill but leaving my sloppy EB kill out haha, I think the Radagon part was probably my favorite fight of the game, pretty epic and kept me on my toes the whole time.

The cool part is I won with a +25 Lordsword Greatsword that I got in the first hour or so of the game. Time to NG+ and rock some boss weapons!!!

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I'm stuck in this game. Not that I am stuck in where to go, but everything else just seems.... not Elden Ring? I try to play something else, and feel like I am wasting my time not rather playing Elden Ring which is just better than any other game I have right now. Restarted on the PS5 and doing a mage run. Over 50 hours into that with a total of over 200 hours on PC and PS5. I haven't opened up Horizons again since Elden Ring released. And I enjoyed that game.

I still haven't finished it because I started the PS5 run not long after I got to the last zones / hidden zones on the PC version and didn't like my build. I will most likely go back and finish that up too, but will complete the PS5 run now.

I did start Rogue Legacy 2, which is fun to do a few runs in, but the next game I try will most likely be the Knight Arthur turn based Xcomish game. It looks fun, and very different from Elden Ring. I am not sure how to go back to open world games which has been my favourite genre of games (other than souls games). Now that I have a souls open world, looking back at open world games and they are ..... It's like taking a "souls like" game and comparing it to a From Software game. They are miles ahead of the curve and set the standard with every game they release. It's why it's called souls like. It's similar, but not the same. Now From Software has done the same with the entire damn open world formula. Games from now on will be "sure it's open world, but it's not From Software open world".

I agree with Maximillian Doods review. In todays world of game development, featuring DLCs, MTX and the likes, a game with the feature full scope of Elden Ring shouldn't exist. But it does.

Sounds like you've got some backlog and not as much motivation to clear it. Check out the backlog thread at: The "Defeat Rajaah" Backlog Challenge (Ends May 31st @ 11:59 PM EST)

Where we are being accountabilibuddies to get our games done.

That said, Elden Ring does make all other games look subpar by comparison, and going back to "normal games" has been a jarring withdrawal for me. The good news is that it isn't too tough to do everything in ER and once you do, you don't really have anywhere else to go with the game and can finally move on for real. Unless you decide to do everything again on a different system. That first do-everything run of ER is pretty much the best thing in years though.

• 1Like

Yaamean

Molten Core Raider
This is probably the best Radagon fight I did, not the one where I beat EB though....

• 2Like

Yaamean

Molten Core Raider
And this is the full fight where I won, EB was super sloppy but a win is a win at this point!

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity