Elden Ring - From Software + George RR Martin

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
I know you guys have been talking about other games after Elden Ring. I just saw a trailer for this, but there's not much information about it. Looks like it'll be open world and heavily influenced by a particular artist, can't remember the guy's name, but you'll recognize it if you've seen his work.

Could be an absolute dud or could be awesome, who knows.

I don't think it's even popped up on steam yet.

Zdzisław Beksiński is the other artist who comes to mind. His stuff gets posted about once every few weeks in FSR

8B8752FB-A525-4870-BCB7-196862432D24.jpeg
897A2B34-5B36-436A-B7B1-D623BAAD3287.jpeg

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Zdzisław Beksiński is the other artist who comes to mind. His stuff gets posted about once every few weeks in FSR

View attachment 410273View attachment 410274
I think that's the exact artist I was thinking of because of the landscape in particularly the church they show at the end of the trailer.

zdzislaw-beksinski-cathedral-00003390.jpg

I think Tauntworth Tauntworth hit the nail on the head too with Barlow. I was looking through his art over the past hour and there's definitely very strong similarities with the design of the figures/persons in the trailer. I really wonder if either of those two artists are involved in the project at all, or if the developers we're just drawing inspiration.

Pretty cool.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
I think that's the exact artist I was thinking of because of the landscape in particularly the church they show at the end of the trailer.

View attachment 410277

I think Tauntworth Tauntworth hit the nail on the head too with Barlow. I was looking through his art over the past hour and there's definitely very strong similarities with the design of the figures/persons in the trailer. I really wonder if either of those two artists are involved in the project at all, or if the developers we're just drawing inspiration.

Pretty cool.
I think Beksiński has been dead for like 2 decades so definitely just inspiration. Barlowe is still alive and kicking.

I’ve actually bought his book, Barlowe’s Guide to Extraterrestrials like 3 times in my life because I’ve worn out the spine from looking at it so much since I was a kid. It’s a fucking fantastic art book.

A3B607F0-82E0-4BDD-ABED-4B16661D939D.jpeg

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Y'all need to stop praising BotW so much. That game is really just okay. Maybe it seemed like it was a huge deal because it was a Nintendo game doing an open world in a sort of unique way, but most "BotW clones" that released in its wake have turned out to be better than BotW actually was. If you don't believe me, go back and play it. It's just... okay.

I kinda agree, but I also don't know what I'm talking about because I've mostly only seen it, not played through it. The game strikes me as kind of redundant though with all these areas that look the same, I don't like the weapons breaking all the time, and the visuals look washed-out. Is that giant field the only area in the whole game? Cause every time I see any pictures of it, it's always the giant field. How about some other biomes?

Ghost of Tsushima on the other hand is much closer to ER visually. The colors have contrast and depth, there's a variety of scenery, and everything is constantly moving from wind or storms. It looks like an absolute joy visually.

Having barely played any of either, I think GoT is underrated and BOTW is overrated. But maybe I'll change my tune later, who knows.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I think Beksiński has been dead for like 2 decades so definitely just inspiration. Barlowe is still alive and kicking.

I’ve actually bought his book, Barlowe’s Guide to Extraterrestrials like 3 times in my life because I’ve worn out the spine from looking at it so much since I was a kid. It’s a fucking fantastic art book.

View attachment 410285

Dude, this was my favorite book growing up. It also got me to read stuff like Childhood's End and the Tripods series. I still have it (completely worn out and with pages missing), along with a bunch of paper cutouts of the Overlord, Pnume, etc from making copies of the book and cutting them out.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
Well 156 bosses down now and came across the last legendary summon exploring haligtree, making my way down while exploring.

Game has so much exploring to be had, and its driving me to try and find everything.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Very similar but in a Greek myth setting. I liked it a lot but it's got BOTW all over it. And my jizz.

Played this when it launched, didn't like it much. 100% a BOTW clone, only it has CONSTANT block puzzles. A lot of them are obscure so I ended up having to keep a guide handy and refer to it a lot, which is one good way to make me stop enjoying a game. It was either that or be lost half the time when puzzles had no readily apparent solutions whatsoever (because you had to look across a nearby gap to spot a hidden thing, or whatever). Being lost is my biggest game peeve, even beyond having to check a guide often.

Fenyx Rising has pretty good combat when it gets out of its own way, but most of the time it's just puzzle after puzzle. One of a few games I played in the past year that felt like work. If one loves block puzzles then it'd be a fine time though.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I think I have a solution for ER depression. The only thing From Software could have added to make the end game even better and NEVER stop playing it.

Oh man, I remember this. Saw it before I ever even picked up a video game controller. Now I want to find the whole thing and re-watch it.

This is all I could find online and it's in Dutch (I think). There's nothing on any streaming either. Damn. Maybe I need to buy the blu-ray.

There we go, getting it. All the stories in this movie are good, especially that one. It's like Black Mirror before Black Mirror.

• 2Like

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Almost lost my cool when trying to light the 4 candles. Those archers really pissed me off. Ended up having to get a big boi bow to knock one of them off the roof. After that I could sprint to the ladder ok.

Slowly progressing in the Haligtree now getting ambushed left and right.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Chris

Potato del Grande
I kinda agree, but I also don't know what I'm talking about because I've mostly only seen it, not played through it. The game strikes me as kind of redundant though with all these areas that look the same, I don't like the weapons breaking all the time, and the visuals look washed-out. Is that giant field the only area in the whole game? Cause every time I see any pictures of it, it's always the giant field. How about some other biomes?
The open field is the middle of the map and is maybe 1/4 of it. Around the edge are different biomes like desert, jungle, snow, canyon, lava etc.

Same as most other Zelda games.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Most of the story of the game is your own journey through it IMO.

Which reminds me. Lot of Game Journalists saying that the game needs to have an easy mode so they can "experience the story".

I play the game as designed/intended and think that people wanting it changed might as well be scribbling on the Mona Lisa or saying she should smile more.

What do other people think about this? I know the predominant opinion is "no" on an easy mode, but why exactly? Why would it ruin the game for us, if we could just not use the easy mode? That seems to be the main crux of the argument.

Personally I think I'm too mentally weak, and if there's a readily-accessible easy mode, I'd default to that at the first sign of trouble (thus robbing myself of a much better experience). That could be a "me problem" but I feel like it isn't, humans naturally go after the path of least resistance. I like that ER can be made easy with some work and the right builds, and working to create my own easier mode is 100x more fulfilling than pressing a switch.

I could be wrong about myself because I put a lot of work into getting OP in FFIX Remaster, despite that they included a literal goddamn "win button" to instakill bosses. /Picard

Never used it, still micromanaged my party for optimal effectiveness. And "accessibility" babies could still use the win button the second they're faced with any kind of mild resistance.

Side note, weird how "accessibility" has been hijacked. Accessibility in the sense of making games that more people can play despite their disabilities = good thing. However The Journos have conflated the word with "making things easy so I don't need to work or think".
The same people whining about they want an easy mode want the game spoon fed to them would proceed to whine about how the story isn’t spoon fed to them through endless dialogue and cut scenes.

Elden Ring has sold a shit ton of copies and the achievements show a lot of people are making it through the game. Easy mode isn’t necessary, there’s plenty of other games that have it.

This game you can just level up more, use OPed weapons, arts, magic, etc. It has a steep learning curve, it’s not overly difficult. Play a second character from scratch and you’ll see, you just get a lot better at it. Stuff that beat my ass on first character I just steamroll on second character.

• 3Like

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Seeing as I am way past my prime in gaming, even I could power through this game. I did use the heavy hitters and spirit summons to tank the big boss guys. But I also managed to get the stuff down where you could not use summons. But you could also play the game with sheer skill and not use the many things that can help you. I'd say I played easy/normal mode, but some bosses did take a bit of learning which is fine.

The only complaint I have is that some trash mobs are harder then the bosses, so you really do nope out fighting through some areas and just run to the next grace.

Stumbled my way to the rot woman and started hammering her down, took maybe 10 tries before I got her. Had to get the Mimic to help this time around as Tiche got hurt real bad and left me alone for the 2nd part.

malenia.png

• 1Like

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
The difficulty is part of the experience. You're always on guard wondering whats around the next corner combined with that sense of accomplishment when you kill the boss you struggled on. If you want an open world game with story and accessibility via difficulty settings, go play witcher 3, skyrim, fallout, etc. Not bashing those games, they're great for their own reason and people have plenty of options. Whats next, people asking for speed limits on racing games?

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
The difficulty is part of the experience. You're always on guard wondering whats around the next corner combined with that sense of accomplishment when you kill the boss you struggled on. If you want an open world game with story and accessibility via difficulty settings, go play witcher 3, skyrim, fallout, etc. Not bashing those games, they're great for their own reason and people have plenty of options. Whats next, people asking for speed limits on racing games?
Yeah. There are plenty of easy open world games. Not all games need to fit the same model and do the same thing, fucking boring. If you don’t like one there is a huge amount of other options, go play one that fits what you want and stop trying to force what you want onto everyone else. Not sure why people think every game should be made for everyone, that’s impossible.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
  • 1Truth!

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Almost lost my cool when trying to light the 4 candles. Those archers really pissed me off. Ended up having to get a big boi bow to knock one of them off the roof. After that I could sprint to the ladder ok.

Slowly progressing in the Haligtree now getting ambushed left and right.

Knocking them off with big boi arrows is literally the only way I was ever able to get through that area. I couldn't find ANY other way to get past those archers. It was Anor Londo on crack.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

spronk

FPS noob

Ghost of Tsushima on the other hand is much closer to ER visually. The colors have contrast and depth, there's a variety of scenery, and everything is constantly moving from wind or storms. It looks like an absolute joy visually.

Having barely played any of either, I think GoT is underrated and BOTW is overrated. But maybe I'll change my tune later, who knows.

I think your appreciation of GoT correlates directly to how much you like Samurai shit. I plat'd GoT and I don't really think its too much like ER, other than a big world to explore. But its far more Ubisoft like in that everything has fucking icons everywhere, quests lead you by the nose, and the NPCs are generic as fuck and serious-boring instead of serious-fuckedup-WHAT-THE-FUCK-IS-THAT of ER. You see all the story beats a mile ahead and are never really shocked or surprised by anything.

obviously if you loved ER you definitely should go through the entire From catalog, some will click and some won't. I absolutely loved Demon Souls and it reminded me a lot of ER but didn't really care much for Nioh or Sekiro. I enjoyed BOTW and its really close in that "not much hints, just go do what you feel is right" but weapon durability and NPC goofiness is a turn off. It took me 2 years to play BOTW, I stopped/started like a dozen times but once I stuck to the game it grew in appreciate over time and while I first hated the game after 20 hours I really turned the corner.

Jedi Fallen Order, Immortals Fenyx, Watch Dogs 2 (skip 1 & 3), pick a Far Cry, AC Origins/Odyssey/Valhalla, and Ghost of Tsushima all have some aspects of Elden Ring but are mostly "map icon clutter and guided quests", I don't really consider any of them that similar, just like I wouldn't really consider Skyrim or a Dragon Age a similar type.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
One of my best homies over the years hates this game so fucking much, it's actually amazing. He's like level 90, with 100 hours in the game, and is hard cockblocked in the post-capitol area of the game just raging out constantly dying in field of giants or the sewers of the capitol and just sperging out in discord because he can't get anywhere.

10/10, best in game in years just for all his salty tears.

Last edited:
  • 7Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 8 users

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
I feel like ER makes me think of playing Valheim more than any other Souls/BotW type game, just with a heavier focus on survival-craft instead of combat. All sorts of crazy places to explore and the game is full of enemies wanting to shovel a pile of shit down your throat.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
One of my best homies over the years hates this game so fucking much, it's actually amazing. He's like level 90, with 100 hours in the game, and is hard cockblocked in the post-capitol area of the game just raging out constantly dying in field of giants or the sewers of the capitol and just sperging out in discord because he can't get anywhere.

10/10, best in game in years just for all his salty tears.

Sounds like he needs to play a different game for a bit and return to this one later. At that point he needs to get like 40-60 more levels which is pretty easy if you go around doing everything. Level 90 at the post-capitol is way low. Course, don't tell him any of this