Elden Ring - From Software + George RR Martin

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Got Messmer in one try after noping out the first time I encountered him and exploring more. Summoned the NPC mid-fight after I saw the symbol, and used Poopman as usual. Don't think I've ever seen a mid-fight NPC summon other than Radahn, odd they did that here.

Is it just me, or is the Messmer boss music a modified version of the title screen music? Or at least it has some of the same chords or whatever?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Know I'm slow but Belurat is an awesome level/area. Every time I think I'm lost / turned around - BAM I know where I am.

• 2Like

Vinjin

Lord Nagafen Raider
The one about Bayle‘s connection to Placidusax is some epic next level of awesomeness! Holy shit FromSoft! /bow

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Tried a couple more times this evening, all losses.

Midir has so damn much HP that eventually I inevitably run out of Estus. He isn't actually defeating me at any point before that, I'm just losing the attrition war. Every time. At best I get him down to about 40% and then I'm out of estus and it's just a matter of time before I get whacked by an unlucky tail swipe.

May try to defeat Gael first. Decided to finish this game off before I get back into ER+SOTE. I might be done with all of the above by the end of October
He is a mandatory parry fight. Parry once and crit, then you win. Simple as that. The npc summon is only there to give you some windows to set that up.

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Not sure if this is considered a spoiler but just in case

how the hell do I get to the map icon near Fog Rift Catacombs?
There is a cave path north of Moohr village by a lake (where you challenge Kung fu man, on the path to get to Metyr questline) that leads you to that area. Great place for some faith related gear and infants, plus a cool dungeon.

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
Man, this is the best game ever made, I think.
I made a post during release but yeah. It’s definitely the best game I’ve ever played in my lifetime. There was a period after I platinumed it that I couldn’t find any joy in other games strictly because they weren’t on this level.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Bald Brah

Silver Knight of the Realm
I made a post during release but yeah. It’s definitely the best game I’ve ever played in my lifetime. There was a period after I platinumed it that I couldn’t find any joy in other game strictly because they weren’t on this level.

I tried playing the Witcher 3 reskin right after ER and there was just no way. Just incomparable in the art, combat complexity, options. Sorry but the 2 sword gimmick is just sad compared to the endless weapon options and complex combinations in ER. It's amazing how far ER has advanced the genre.

• 2Like

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I must be 50 attempts in to this tree avatar and it's never once been even close.

It's such the perfect combination of having to chase the boss across all of creation to get a single swing in + multiple phases meaning buffs are all fucked constantly + horrific camera problems

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
He is a mandatory parry fight. Parry once and crit, then you win. Simple as that. The npc summon is only there to give you some windows to set that up.

You can parry Midir? Wow, no wonder I was doing chip damage the whole time. Wonder if Nameless King was like that, considering that was also a chip damage fight.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Will finally be able to play this weekend so I can meander through my 2nd playthrough and open up the DLC before summers out.

God damn adulting.

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
You can parry Midir? Wow, no wonder I was doing chip damage the whole time. Wonder if Nameless King was like that, considering that was also a chip damage fight.
Nameless is straight up an execution fight over a long time. The first phase has some RNG to it, with how the dragon attacks time out with the rider. But Phase 2 is all about reads and knowing when to dodge vs block, plus patient punishes. But Midir specifically you can parry and then critical him for like half his life bar, its just that the timing is tight and until ER parry was never a core build strategy before so its harder.

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I must be 50 attempts in to this tree avatar and it's never once been even close.

It's such the perfect combination of having to chase the boss across all of creation to get a single swing in + multiple phases meaning buffs are all fucked constantly + horrific camera problems
Yeah this is pretty much the entire DLC in a nutshell for most bosses, except they also will stop whatever they are doing and frame cancel into a wombo combo from a mile away the moment the AI notices you have pressed the flask input. I think ever player needs to work something ranged with high agro gen into their build, even if its piss poor damage (Omen Bairn is a great item for this purpose) just to draw certain froggy bosses in. The final boss makes the Elden Beast antics look tame, btw.

Which specific enemy is causing the issue? Is it the three times mario rules to win one deep under the Shadow Keep? If so, that one requires ranged attacks, preferably with fire or bleed build in and fast recovery time. Blasphemous, Rivers of Blood, the new Thorn spell (for now), and Rykard's Rancor all do great damage to him.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Nameless is straight up an execution fight over a long time. The first phase has some RNG to it, with how the dragon attacks time out with the rider. But Phase 2 is all about reads and knowing when to dodge vs block, plus patient punishes. But Midir specifically you can parry and then critical him for like half his life bar, its just that the timing is tight and until ER parry was never a core build strategy before so its harder.

I read that Midir is very weak to Pestilent Mist, as well. I don't have the int to cast that (as I haven't cast a single spell in DS3) so it'd require a respec. Also he's weak to lightning enchant, which I CAN do.

Bald Brah

Silver Knight of the Realm

What build are you? Blasphemous blade melts him pretty fast. One problem with him is you can't roll through his thorns. You have to jump.

When he does his swinging attack you can blast him right in the sunny face. With all the right buffs you can one shot him because you do double damage with fire and double damage from a head shot.

You also get a free critical if you do a regular attack at the end of each phase.

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
You can roll the thorns, but it has to be sideways and if you miss the first one you wont recover enough for the others. Also his range is huge and the windup is incredibly fast on his ranged thorns. You can shield block them, however. Stagger is not too bad on that attack as long as you are not getting fucked by the point blank one.

Chris

Potato del Grande
I tried playing the Witcher 3 reskin right after ER and there was just no way. Just incomparable in the art, combat complexity, options. Sorry but the 2 sword gimmick is just sad compared to the endless weapon options and complex combinations in ER. It's amazing how far ER has advanced the genre.
ER is lacking in boss music, cut scenes and casual replayability imo. The other things are genre defining yes.

The ambient music is the best I've ever heard but other than the main theme, generic orchestral is good for it's purpose but I'm not humming this stuff IRL.

Casual replayability, yes it's got high replayability in terms of commiting to a new playthrough, but I'm not logging in to just gank some soldiers in stormveil for fun.

Cut scenes are not good. Enigmatic story and a world building style narritive is great, but there's a middle ground where you know where the fuck the NPCs have gone next and there are more story beats actually in the game. I broke multiple NPC quests just by entering Shadow Keep, then again when entering the last dungeon, why?

Cyberpunk has these things (cut scenes are the best ever, because you have full control), but yes lacks in some RPG elements. Baldur's Gate 3 has the music and cutscenes but I think it lacks some replayability past a good and an evil playthrough.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
This morning's sesh: After losing to Midir a few times, I loaded up ER NG+++ and explored the SE swamp lands (noped out when I got to those unkillable poise-god frenzy monsters) and the NW ruins. Beat the centipede-scorpion and it was good to get an actual win on something.

Only map I'm missing now is that NW area, going to try to get down there with the maps people posted above. I guess you have to go in from the south rather than the ruins if you're after the map.