Elden Ring - From Software + George RR Martin

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
I nearly one shot Malenia back when I first went through the game. It was way late, I was exhausted and awake for far longer than I intended to be. I hacked my way through the Haligtree stuff, and then there's Malenia as I'm literally nodding off with the controller in my hand. Alright...one attempt...I'll die horribly and log off.

I absolutely punished the first phase, somehow dodged out of her nuclear flower shit in her second phase, and got to the point that I could barely see any of her health bar left. Yeah, of course I died right there, but that was nuts. It took like 30+ attempts the next day to get anywhere near that again, lol.

Agreed that nothing in the DLC has come close to her level until Messmer.

Haha that’s funny, I did the same with Messmer. Got him to under 10% hp first attempt then died, next few attempts went worse. Decided to explore elsewhere for a bit.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Any upgraded Breath or Dragon Communion stuff in the DLC?
Ghostflame is good, it's a direct upgrade from Borealis despite being a generic breath rather than a named one. The Bayle ones suck at the moment and even worse Bayle's Heart isn't considered a remembrance so you can't dupe it to get both of them. IMO don't buy either one until From makes a balance pass on all the shit they erred too far on the side of caution (which is bizarre when stuff like Impenetrable Thorns and Bloodfiend's Arm somehow made it in).

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>

Asmongold's meltdown was short lived

I've got a few days of distance now post end of game, and I disagree on his ranking. I actually think the base game is far, far superior to the DLC in a number of critical, important ways. The world in ER feels much more alive, with not nearly as many zone wide empty spots. There is also a sense of wonder in playing ER the first time, where this DLC feels pretty old hat in a bunch of ways. I do think the best ER bosses are to be found in the DLC, but I enjoyed ER quite a bit more. The progression system of the DLC was also very lackluster to me and felt tacked on - I get why it's there, and it works, but it doesn't feel as refined as the rest of the package. This also suffers from the classic - "everything is too hard, then everything feels great, then I'm overpowered and one shotting everything, then I get to cock block final boss and need to grind a few hours to beat it or cheese it with a cheese dick build that I don't even want to play". I give this a solid 8.5/10, but the best DLC ever? Blood and Wine? Hell I thought Phantom Liberty was also far superior to this.

That being said, ER & DLC as a package is still my favorite game ever so really interested to hear what they're cooking up next. One of the only studios in the world that gets my $ sight unseen.

• 4Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Vinjin

Lord Nagafen Raider
I just picked up two pretty sweet talismans in the span of about 30 mins. One was the Talisman of All Crucibles which bestows all the benefits of all the other crucible ones, and the other was the Two Handed Talisman. I always prefer going two handed so I was pretty stoked the find that one.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
This also suffers from the classic - "everything is too hard, then everything feels great, then I'm overpowered and one shotting everything, then I get to cock block final boss and need to grind a few hours to beat it or cheese it with a cheese dick build that I don't even want to play".
Eh, to be fair, this is true of the base game as well. Or at least, I felt it was.

I fucking struggled like a little bitch through Stormveil and had so many attempts on Godrick before finally killing him that I put the game away for almost a year. But as I slowly worked through Lakes, then Caelid, etc., and got access to better weapons, I felt like I was gradually getting a lot more powerful. As my vigor stat increased, I was able to make a couple more than 1 or 2 mistakes each fight, allowing me to learn more on each attempt, etc.

Limgrave felt like absolute ass to me, but like I posted earlier, Altus Plateau felt like a joke, outside one boss. Caelid was much the same. Radahn took a few attempts until I understood wtf was going on in the fight, then I even got him in 1-2 more tries after that. Even the Misbegotten Warrior and Carrion Knight fight only took me about 8 attempts. I did struggle a bit on Twin Gargoyle, but a lot of that was due to my Kaiden ashes only being +2. Once I got him to +5, I think I downed them in 2-3 more tries.

That's part of what I love about FromSoft and why their design is so brilliant. They really do make you feel as though you're a little "tarnished", maidenless bitch straight out of the gate. And despite facing deadlier and deadlier bosses, you also start feeling more and more like The One True Elden Lord.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Ghostflame is good, it's a direct upgrade from Borealis despite being a generic breath rather than a named one. The Bayle ones suck at the moment and even worse Bayle's Heart isn't considered a remembrance so you can't dupe it to get both of them. IMO don't buy either one until From makes a balance pass on all the shit they erred too far on the side of caution (which is bizarre when stuff like Impenetrable Thorns and Bloodfiend's Arm somehow made it in).

Good to hear at least there was a succession from Borealis even if Fromsoft couldn't take the time to name it properly.

I became addicted to trying to find windows on bosses to freeze them in the base game. Nothing gave me as much of a rush as getting a fully powered breath off given how difficult it is-- now even more difficult or impossible in the DLC.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Blueweed

Silver Baronet of the Realm
rocking int build, 101 poise with great katana and carion sovereignty ash. good fun, esp when me and mimic both chomp down with gigantic magic sword. katana is slow but provides good stagger against fire knights too

btw seeing claws and ice perfumes invasions. these guys one shot everything, way overtuned

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
So basically Messmer and Bayle are on that Malenia tier on the general dificulty spectrum, with the final boss at a new level above that.

I'd put Isshin in the Malenia tier also, but different game so harder to measure etc.

What's the orange spear looking thing people are using in videos? Saw someone beating the Guts boss with that. My weapons don't reach far enough to hit and run successfully.

• 1Like

Vorph

What's the orange spear looking thing people are using in videos?
https://eldenring.wiki.fextralife.com/Bloodfiend's+Fork ? Haven't tried it but it's another one that's supposed to be grossly overpowered. Kind of a shame that all the cool flashy weapons that you'd want to be OP at launch so you can stomp the DLC in style actually just range from trash to mediocre, and it's a bunch of the plain boring "junk" weapons that are completely broken. Even the Barbed Staff-spear is a crappy model and it basically just shoots rune arcs.

Vorph

Nothing gave me as much of a rush as getting a fully powered breath off given how difficult it is-- now even more difficult or impossible in the DLC.
Perfume bottles are the new dragonbreath now. Can one-shot the early bosses and even the final boss only takes 1 hit to phase him and 2 more to end it (could probably be 1+1 with more aggressive buffing).

PS -- for anyone else who didn't actually read the official patch notes and plays offline like I do, you have to login once to get the calibrations. I've been wondering since Thursday why I had 1.12 instead of the 1.12.1 (now 1.12.2) it said it was supposed to be.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
Made it to Abyssal Woods…

IMG_5474.jpeg

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I just found out those pot head guys can drop scat fragments. Can't imagine how many I missed.
Yeah I saw the video about the ghostly guys with a pots on their heads, and you want to kill everyone of them you see. The other thing is at night time, there's r areas of the map that have like a puddle of moonlight and the only time you can pick up items or treasure in them is when it's night time in that specific spot, otherwise it's gone during the daytime.

Last edited:

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I've got a few days of distance now post end of game, and I disagree on his ranking. I actually think the base game is far, far superior to the DLC in a number of critical, important ways. The world in ER feels much more alive, with not nearly as many zone wide empty spots. There is also a sense of wonder in playing ER the first time, where this DLC feels pretty old hat in a bunch of ways. I do think the best ER bosses are to be found in the DLC, but I enjoyed ER quite a bit more. The progression system of the DLC was also very lackluster to me and felt tacked on - I get why it's there, and it works, but it doesn't feel as refined as the rest of the package. This also suffers from the classic - "everything is too hard, then everything feels great, then I'm overpowered and one shotting everything, then I get to cock block final boss and need to grind a few hours to beat it or cheese it with a cheese dick build that I don't even want to play". I give this a solid 8.5/10, but the best DLC ever? Blood and Wine? Hell I thought Phantom Liberty was also far superior to this.

That being said, ER & DLC as a package is still my favorite game ever so really interested to hear what they're cooking up next. One of the only studios in the world that gets my $ sight unseen.
Are they planning on making a second one? I know at one point there was talk about the land of reeds which was originally thought to be in the expansion, because there was some big civil war there or so. Sorry I just don't keep up with gaming news, but I was watching some videos recently just to remind myself of what was going on story wise, and it's something that tickled the back of my brain.

I do agree though but it's probably one of the greatest games any of us will play In our lifetime. There's nothing that quite compares to it, and I don't even play a lot of these games, on many games nowadays.

To say the original game, and I guess with the addition of the DLC that's a work of art, probably an understatement, but that's what good games are supposed to be. You hear all these assholes saying gaming is art, blah blah blah, then crap on a canvas and smear it around, and there's your second iteration of Call of Fortnight.

It's just good to see that people are so enjoying the original game, which I am doing a fresh playthrough right now, and I don't remember much at all other than pieces here and there, trying to hone my skills and relearn playing, and I can't wait to finally get to the new content, but hell I still got the back quarter if not a third of the game to finish.

It's utterly fantastic that I now have this weird confluence of an opportunity to enjoy what will probably go down as one of the greatest games ever made.

Anyways, glad everybody's having fun... I also suck at the game 😉

• 4Like
  • 3Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Are they planning on making a second one? I know at one point there was talk about the land of reeds which was originally thought to be in the expansion, because there was some big civil war there or so. Sorry I just don't keep up with gaming news, but I was watching some videos recently just to remind myself of what was going on story wise, and it's something that tickled the back of my brain.

I assumed the Land of Reeds would be either Elden Ring 2 or the DLC. The DLC's out now so... maybe ER2? If they're going to make it at all. The Badlands is another location they could tap into for ER2.

Also had a crazy theory that the Land of Reeds is just a reference to Sekiro. If they aren't making any more ER content, then LoR probably really IS just Sekiro...

• 4Like

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>
What are the buffs he casts at the beginning of every fight? Looks like 3 or 4 of them.

Tripping up Mohg before using the Kamehameha is an inspired move.

Most DLC bosses are way too aggressive to allow ANY moment of buffing after walking into their room, but if all these buffs can be used outside the room, and a Greatshield Spirit summoned quick enough after going in, then this strategy could work in the DLC too.

All in all it's a pretty impressive video and doesn't seem like it'd be that hard to replicate.
I didn't see anyone answer this so my apologies if I missed it, he answers this at 8:20 in the video:
-Golden Vow
-Jellyfish Shield
-Terra Magica
-Howl of Shabriri

Followed up by Flask of Wondrous Physik.

This video was done in NG+7.

• 1Like

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Here I am jousting mr sprouts flowers from his chest and suddenly wondering wtf this is

20240627010051_1.jpg

Oh its wickerman attacking me from across the map

20240627010043_1.jpg

• 3Worf
  • 1Rustled

Vinjin

Lord Nagafen Raider
I just went through that area yesterday. Fortunately, the wickerman left me alone while I figured out Captain Devona and her bullshit. But once I did, yeah casually strolling across the bridge and then have that shit fuck me up.

Good times.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

I didn't know Let Me Solo Her had a YT channel. Whoa, here he is just casually no-hitting the third-hardest DLC boss. Unbelievable.

Notice the restraint he shows at the end of the fight when the boss has 1 tick of HP left. He could have gone for another hit to finish the fight but instead he dodged. Guy always seems to know exactly what he can get away with before dodging and doesn't try to reach for any more hits than that. Which sets him apart from almost everybody.

• 1Like