Elden Ring - From Software + George RR Martin

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Wonder how long a wait it'll be for DLC? At the rate I get to play I probably still have another month or so left of my first playthrough, then I'll probably start from scratch again and follow guides for a 2nd playthrough where I try to find everything, so that's another 2-3 months.

Maybe by the time I get bored of this game therell be even more content to explore. I'd have to assume a game like this would have a decent sized chunk of DLC, at least I hope so!

I have a feeling there'll just be one huge DLC for this game. However there's no telling because their previous Souls games don't really follow any pattern of DLCs:
Demon - 0 (1 planned and scrapped)
Dark - 1
Dark 2 - 3
Dark 3 - 2
Bloodborne - 1

One big DLC worked well for Ghost of Tsushima and it seems like what From usually goes with on the launch of a new IP (Dark 1, Bloodborne, and Demon's).

That said, IMO the base game already has two DLC-sized optional areas. One is Consecrated Snowfield/Haligtree/Malenia, one is Mohgwyn Palace / Mohg. Hell a lot of the underworld could have been included in that second one. To me these are the equivalents of the Upper Cathedral Ward and Cainhurst Castle in Bloodborne, and we'll get an Old Hunters later. They could have EASILY released the above as 3 DLCs instead though...in both games.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Beat Malenia this morning. Didn’t use ice pots but figured out you can interrupt her anime attack by hitting her with the moon great sword while it has the ice enchantment, so I’m guessing anything with ice may do it.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
That’s the spirit!
Had to change up the strat.

Started using skeleton summons, instead of wolf summons. They can keep a boss busy forever since they resurrect in 20 seconds after they die. Killed Erdtree avatar on first try. Helped a ton with Margit too.

For Morne castle I brought a crossbow this time and just singled pulled anything I couldn't stealth kill. Died only twice, killed boss on first attempt.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Had to change up the strat.

Started using skeleton summons, instead of wolf summons. They can keep a boss busy forever since they resurrect in 20 seconds after they die. Killed Erdtree avatar on first try. Helped a ton with Margit too.

For Morne castle I brought a crossbow this time and just singled pulled anything I couldn't stealth kill. Died only twice, killed boss on first attempt.
Skeletons are good decoys for big bosses but keep wolves for fast/squishy/mage bosses

Blueweed

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
zfovvtppj7s81.png

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I have to actually go into the office today, so no Melania attempt until this evening. I'm at about 20 tries. All I need for the plat trophy...that fucking whore.

Malenia is probably way way easier on NG. In a situation like that I'd consider just doing a new NG runthrough and getting her there while trying a new character type. Maybe Samurai and killing the intro area boss while you're at it.

However I can get why doing that would feel like giving up after spending so much time on Malenia in NG+4 or whatever (and you probably got her by now).

I had a TON of trouble with the DLCs of Souls 2 and a lot of the reason for that was because I did them all on NG+ / Journey 2 because I didn't want to start over. Similar thing happened in Bloodborne with the Chalice stuff and Pthumerian Queen. Now I make sure to do everything boss-wise on NG if possible so that I'm not locked into an impossible fight later when going for the plat.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I know the subtitle in that video says "gush" but I think it should be "gash", that's the disgusting English slang word for vagina anyway and I think it's spoken correctly.

The British version of Tinder should have been called "Gashdash"

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
That blows and would definitely be discouraging. Personally I would look up the “how to get overpowered early” type videos and just start again and catch up to where I was. The second time goes way faster as you know where things are, know where to farm runes, etc. you could probably be caught back up to where you were in half the time or less.

So I started again, this time as a Samurai, and you were right, the second time through is definitely quicker, knowing where things are, where to go, what to do, and how to farm runes. I actually caught up to where I was before in under 10 hours (including farming runes for 2 hours). Unfortunately, the white screen crash just started happening again. I'm so fucking pissed I can't even see straight. I have no idea what is causing this issue. I downloaded Windows 11 to fix the issue the last time, but I am not starting over for a third fucking time. They need to find out what's causing this white screen crash to desktop and fix it. I'm attempting everything that is being suggested online (just like the last time it happened), but I am not downloading Windows again, nor am I starting over again if my character is lost. They obviously know it's an issue, since there are literally thousands of videos, articles, and posts about this problem. Never had this issue with any other game.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah that blows. I haven’t had a single crash in 150 hours. If I had one that bad I’d be waiting on patches, would definitely be mad though.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
So I started again, this time as a Samurai, and you were right, the second time through is definitely quicker, knowing where things are, where to go, what to do, and how to farm runes. I actually caught up to where I was before in under 10 hours (including farming runes for 2 hours). Unfortunately, the white screen crash just started happening again. I'm so fucking pissed I can't even see straight. I have no idea what is causing this issue. I downloaded Windows 11 to fix the issue the last time, but I am not starting over for a third fucking time. They need to find out what's causing this white screen crash to desktop and fix it. I'm attempting everything that is being suggested online (just like the last time it happened), but I am not downloading Windows again, nor am I starting over again if my character is lost. They obviously know it's an issue, since there are literally thousands of videos, articles, and posts about this problem. Never had this issue with any other game.

What's the best way to farm runes?

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
What's the best way to farm runes?

That's going to depend on your level and build. There's also a cheese method involving completing a specific quest and then abusing a mob to jump off a cliff. You can find a youtube video of it easily enough

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
That's going to depend on your level and build. There's also a cheese method involving completing a specific quest and then abusing a mob to jump off a cliff. You can find a youtube video of it easily enough
Shark Tank Writing GIF

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I've got around 115 hours on this IIRC, which puts it at roughly my 5th most played single-player game of all time. I've only broken 100 hours on five 1P games which makes this easy to keep track of:

Bloodborne - 255 hours
Final Fantasy 12 - 230 hours (not sure how I got this much out of FF12)
Final Fantasy Tactics - Around 180 hours
Dark Souls 2 - Around 140 hours
Elden Ring - 115 hours

ER is the 2nd-highest for a single playthrough, behind FF12. The others all got these times over multiple playthroughs.

Since I've only done NG in ER I still have another full playthrough to go for NG+ and the last ending, plus probably a third one from scratch at some later time, and DLC. So I'm pretty sure this will surpass Bloodborne's time, it's just a matter of when. Though BB might yet get a further boost if it gets a PS5 release, so we'll see. And FF12, against all odds, is gonna pass up BB whenever I play the remaster of that game. Unless, again, BB gets a re-release which I sure hope it does. Either BB or ER should be the champion of my playtime. There can be only one!

Yaamean

Molten Core Raider
Hoping they announce a remaster and sequel to Bloodborne this year, in addition to some sort of ER DLC.

Krowbar

Molten Core Raider
So I just finally finished the Raya Lucaria Academy this morning at level 61 and took the portal from the side. Now I'm not really sure where to go.

The grace point doesn't have the pointing arrow in any direction so I wandered SE and came to a tower with a mage invasion type caster and a bunch of low hp melee mobs that appear when you get close. I cleared it to the second floor and climbed up a ladder to end up on the rafters with a couple of rats running around.

Anyone have any suggestions where I head to next?

Bruuce

Blackwing Lair Raider
So I just finally finished the Raya Lucaria Academy this morning at level 61 and took the portal from the side. Now I'm not really sure where to go.

The grace point doesn't have the pointing arrow in any direction so I wandered SE and came to a tower with a mage invasion type caster and a bunch of low hp melee mobs that appear when you get close. I cleared it to the second floor and climbed up a ladder to end up on the rafters with a couple of rats running around.

Anyone have any suggestions where I head to next?
Caria Manor, Ainsel River, can fuck around some in caelid, but ultimately your goal is to get to Altus Plateau which you can achieve 2 different ways. I think Melina tells you to go to Altus Plateau after you clear the academy when you rest at one of the graces past the academy. Dont forget to get your 2nd talisman pouch from Table of Lost Grace from one of the finger lady people

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Melania down

From the power of overlevelling and rivers of blood build

Went hard in the paint

• 9Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 9 users

Krowbar

Molten Core Raider
Caria Manor, Ainsel River, can fuck around some in caelid, but ultimately your goal is to get to Altus Plateau which you can achieve 2 different ways. I think Melina tells you to go to Altus Plateau after you clear the academy when you rest at one of the graces past the academy. Dont forget to get your 2nd talisman pouch from Table of Lost Grace from one of the finger lady people
Thanks I'll try those out.