Elite: Dangerous (Kickstarted Sandbox Space Flight Sim)

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Also, I should point out they are trying to figure out how to nurf the Mission stacking/Skimmer thing so I would recommend loading up while you can. They have said they don't consider it a exploit per se but they do want it fixed. They just can't figure out how without breaking some of the game systems. Last I had heard they were mulling over some community feedback and we may see a fix whenever they release the next patch (rumor says this month).

Yeah well, don't really have time right now unfortunately.

Oh well.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
I'm still a little over halfway to the core .....I could just suicide and get back to civilization but I'd lose millions in discoveries ...ugh.

I feel ya, I just finished a Space Bus mission that took me 22k LY out to Colonia and then a return trip. Took me about 2 weeks of traveling and got about 14 million from just system scanning (No planets) plus the 55 million from the mission. I'll never do that again.

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
No unless you have vr maybe and really really like more tedious space games.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Yeah not much there unless you loved privateer and galactic trade wars BBS. It is cool though to fly through space and sandbox it. But it’s nithing else but that.

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
I've taken this back up since there's not much in WoW for me currently, travelling towards SagA* only 8kly to go I think.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
I've taken this back up since there's not much in WoW for me currently, travelling towards SagA* only 8kly to go I think.
I did it! I'm at the centre of our fucking galaxy!
Now what do I do.
Guess I'll go back home.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Go Thargoid hunting. The only good Thargoid is a dead Thargoid! :D

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
the thargoid encounter design is seriously underwhelming. Especially "only 4 experimental weapons" part is fucking stupid. Even more so when they bring out a designated anti-thargoid ship with more than 4 hardpoints.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I got roughly $0.44 worth of enjoyment out of the game. Probably the worst game purchase I've made.

Completely my own fault though. It was an impulse buy of a game I knew I wouldn't like. It got me to finally start watching streamers before a buy though.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
its a really grindy game, making profits is boring, and there isn't really an end game besides grinding a lot of hours for marginal improvement

the main issue is that there isn't just much gameplay, you either do transportation or exploration or trade, which are pretty much the same thing gameplay wise, or you do combat which is pretty shitty income all-around

coop ship control is a griefing fest and doesn't really work

gfx are amazing at 4k and i really enjoyed the first 20 hours, before noticing the games flaws

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This.

I loved exploring in Freelancer back in the day. Roaming around and finding all the wrecks with OP weapons and such was awesome.

That's the thing, you simply can't find really interesting stuff in ED. Everything is so generic and formulaic.

And their development is the most misguided shit I've ever seen.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
It's amazing how hard developers seem to find it to recreate the magic formula behind what made Freelancer 2 so awesome. You don't need 400+ billion worlds as with Elite, or space toilets as with Star Citizen.

Realism =! fun

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
I decided to head back to the bubble for now, stopping at a few nebulae along the path and putting the Asp in front of things.
Yeah it's extremely repetitive, no matter what you're doing. Travelling long distance is "red star, honk, scoop, jump, blue star, honk, scoop, jump, red star, honk, scoop, jump, neutron star, honk, boost, jump, red star, honk, scoop, jump, blue star, honk, scoop, jump" for 25kly basically. Trade is flying back and forth with the same two commodities for hours on end. Transport missions are the same more or less, only replace commodities with people. Mining... well I never got into mining. Then you can land and drive around in your SRV which is fun but I guess it will be boring soon. And then you have combat, which has shit pay.

All that aside I'll still keep it as my secondary while WoW is in "end of expansion" mode.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The difference between mining and all other activities is that one mining run takes well over an hour (or even 2), so when trading or bounty farming or anything else, you have to ask yourself every five minutes "Why am I doing this?" because you just finished one step and you could quit now with zero burden in your cargo hold or whatever remaining.

With mining you just keep racking up more and more valuable metals, there's also a much higher degree of randomness to the asteroids which imo helps a lot as well and your piloting skill makes a huge difference in how much you are actually making per hour.

Trading really suffers from being the exact opposite. It is very static, it is irrelevant how well you can fly, every five minutes you can just log out and there are no opportunities that would ever make you stray from your path. You never dock somewhere and be like "wow, crop harvesters are only 1200 credits here? I'll find a place to sell them to!"

It's static, and 90% of the commodities aren't worth being traded because the profit is relative to their absolute value, and anything worth less than 6000 cr base price simply cannot produce enough profit per ton to be relevant.

Dalven

Saor Alba
<Donor>
I downloaded this on a whim last night, smoked a joint and spent quite a therapeutic few hours flying around doing data courier missions. However once I've tried all the different playstyles and ground out a few ships I'm pretty sure I'll have the same complaints as everyone else.

That being said this is probably the first space sim I've bought since playing frontier and frontier first encounters as a kid so the nostalgia factor probably helped.

Landing and docking isn't that hard though - I don't know if they've changed it but I remember a ton of people bitching about that the last time I looked into this game.