Elite: Dangerous (Kickstarted Sandbox Space Flight Sim)

Janx

<Silver Donator>
If you people that bought this haven't spent an extra $8 for voice attack you're missing out. Set it up and "trained" speech recognition on my PC last night..Good lord is it awesome.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Not yet. Depending on how much I end up playing I may look into that. Pretty crazy the amount of work they put into it.

Running Dog_sl

shitlord
The small targeting circle to the left of the radar will point towards your landing spot once you are inside a station.

Today I had a pirate Viper suicide-run into my Cobra, and immediately thought that was that as my shields went and sparks flew, but no, the ship seemed intact... then I got the message about hull integrity being compromised and life support (the one thing I haven't upgraded) kicked in.

So, 5 minutes to find somewhere to dock, and luckily there's a friendly outpost not too far away and into Supercruise I go, only to find that the whole central section of my canopy is now missing, so no more helpful targeting rings to aim for. Now I know why they put that square on the console that goes blue when you have your target lined up. Docking was interesting too; I had about 20 seconds of air left when I finally made it down.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Holy shit, the tutorial was exhausting.

A friend of mine loaned me their account.

What do?

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
Holy shit, the tutorial was exhausting.

A friend of mine loaned me their account.

What do?
Whatever you want, thats the point of the game
wink.png

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
I like the combat, how hard is it to get money via fighting NPCs?
Depends on what you mean with "Money". A trader can reliably get 800-1500cr per ton per trip. In a medium ship (Cobra, Type 6) you can pack 50-100 ton of cargo per trip so you earn about 50.000-100.000cr per run (average for me is 200.000 per run since I found a good run yesterday).

When I use my bling bling Viper to kill off some WANTED ships around belts and nav-Points I can do 50-100k per outing, this is more fun the space trucking, but it also takes longer time as you hang around waiting for ships to appear, scan them, fight, repeat.

No experience with war-zones so cant say.

I would say that yes, you can make money fighting other ships (especially when you get 150-200k Bounty missions, but man some of them are rediculously hard for my viper) but not as much as a well planned trade route. Also, to bring in the bounty missions you will need to spend serious credits on weapons and systems to stand a chance. It is however more fun if you are into pew-pew more then spreadsheet plotting trade routes that change periodicaly.

PS. Anyone have any experience with the Asp? Consiering Selling off my Viper and Type 6 and go for a more balanced all-round ship like the Asp and do a balanced loadout to avoid having to change ships when I feel like exploring or Bounty hunt.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Very best I've had so far is around 830cr on a high demand for Indite. Where did you pull 1500 and with what?

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
Very best I've had so far is around 830cr on a high demand for Indite. Where did you pull 1500 and with what?
Per trip, i.e. 1.000cr for gold in one direction, 500ish on some other goods in the other direction.

Just bought my Asp, Im broke again :p

I have seen some trades giving like 1200 per ton one way, but usualy the second station have nothing worthwhile in the other direction making you have to go to a third station and so on.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
So I killed an aggressive pirate NPC in a viper with my starter ship. Is that good?

I'm so fucking lost.

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
So I killed an aggressive pirate NPC in a viper with my starter ship. Is that good?

I'm so fucking lost.
Mist, you seem to be trying to find something to measure your gameplay against and I dont think thats how you should look at it. Its a sandbox, there is no "right" way of playing this game, its more of a World simulator.

Wanna kill ships? Excellent, build up cash to get an Eagle or Viper (tho in my opinion, the Viper is just an under-sized Cobra with better hardpoint placements) and kit it out. Jam higher quality weapons into it, say C or better, get a better powerplant since you will need that to Power the better weapons, invest in a higher grade Power distr. to bleed off more heat and recharge weapons faster. Mix lasers and cannons for shield/armor work and you should be set to go out there and hunt most things.

Wanna make some Quick, tho less exciting, Money? Get a Hauler, rip out the shield system and install as much cargo space as you can into it. Invest in a a better frame shift drive to increase your jump distance and start exploring the markets/stations around you to get the best prices and highest profits. Once you start hauling 1000+ per trip and ton you can afford a bling-bling Eagle really fast to play with when you feel like doing some dog-fighting at nav Points.

Wanna explore the universe? Grab a ship with a huge jump range and a fuel scoop and get out there and poke around. Find unexplored systems, scan them and sell the data off at stations to finance upgrades.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Alright, it took me a while to figure out where/how to actually find pirates but they seem to be the signatures around resource extraction sites in busy systems. Killed a couple 10k+ bounties, those helped. Seem to be doing fine with mouse/kb setup.

The stolen cargo that pirates drop never seem worth picking up. Only one time did I actually turn a profit on it.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Where the fuck do you find C weapons? I've never seen weapons of that level and I've checked two different High Tech stations as well.

Also, wouldn't these be ridiculously expensive?

BTW Mist, you're way ahead of me. I have yet to kill something, everytime I actually got interdicted, I just boosted out until I could supercruise again.

Now that I decked my Cobra out for Combat, I'm not getting interdicted anymore. This is how I set it up now.

rrr_img_86132.jpg
rrr_img_86133.jpg

I haven't quite figured out yet how to use the KWS, due to no opportunity mostly I think.

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
Dont you want a cannon or two in that mix Quin? They help a LOT with hull Heavy targets such as Pythons+, and also help you conserve your energy settings. I also see that you use direct fire, might wanna look into gimballed weapons that have a larger tacking cone (or even turrets for "drive by shooting", helps a lot in the twists and turns of space combat.

When it comes to C or better weapons, yeah its hard to find. Found turreted beam lasers of C quality on a fucking outpost in the middle of nowhere (heck, even the system was undiscovered so I dunno why the military complex decides to sell weapons out in nowhere instead of normal high Tech systems where you would expect it).

You find targets to kill by going to the Nav Point in system, drop out of Cruise and then target the ships as they appear and look for wanted ones. Pirates are pretty much the same, but you need to drop into extraction Point thingys in mining belts or investigate unidentified signal sources (USS?s in the lingo ofElite).

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
I am a bit confused about the market in this game tho. Monday my staple station for silver suddenly decided they only do minerals now. Today the prices on slaves jump from 10.200 (8:30 this morning) to 16.742 (12:20 after lunch).... Seems a bit wonky with these huge changes.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I just want to defend myself now instead of running away, not actively look for fights. Still not attacked since I got geared