Enshrouded

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Yeah, other then the bed, everything else looks like its falling apart. I'm not sure why that's the aesthetic they went with, but I hope it changes. Also, there just isn't much to make. lighting is like 2 torches, a candle, a globe with fireflies in it, and one other thing. Nice bed, junk bed. seating is a rickety old chair and a bench.

So much of this game was done right, and they fumbled something just super simple, its weird.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, other then the bed, everything else looks like its falling apart. I'm not sure why that's the aesthetic they went with, but I hope it changes. Also, there just isn't much to make. lighting is like 2 torches, a candle, a globe with fireflies in it, and one other thing. Nice bed, junk bed. seating is a rickety old chair and a bench.

So much of this game was done right, and they fumbled something just super simple, its weird.
Are you sure you've unlocked everything? I have more than that available for lighting sources. candelabras, chandeliers, etc. Nice chairs, tables, etc.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Learning from Valheim, I would assume. Putting off a big update patch with all the little tiny decorations and fancy little doodads to draw back all the world builders that go on to show their mega vanity projects and garner them some attention. Now if they'll also learn from Valheim that that patch was also fucking annoying because it didnt add any actual content to the game.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Are you sure you've unlocked everything? I have more than that available for lighting sources. candelabras, chandeliers, etc. Nice chairs, tables, etc.

Candles....nicer candles ;)

Edit: I'm looking right now and apparently the last few quests I did I unlocked a shit ton more stuff. My bad. I'd still like more options though!

Xevy

Log Wizard
I'm still waiting for the multiplayer progression change to play. I keep checking to see if it's gone through, but all I see is several dev posts saying they are "currently working on a fix". At this point I don't know if I want it done sooner or in a month or so after these other like 5 games shit out in the next two weeks.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I will say, as someone who went full archer, feathers are a pain to farm and they need to let you raise chickens or whatever those little running birds are in the highlands. I basically use up the same amount of arrows farming them than I'm able to craft after farming them.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
They nerfed the healing aura, but even at 50% it's still way too good, especially if it still ticks twice a second.

*edit only once a second post patch, but still super good

Caliane

from my testing it seems to tick at about 1.8s. just under 2seconds per tick. I tried to use a stopwatch to test, and consistant 1.8-1.9. so pretty sure its not 2s. 1.75 is possible. 1.8s seems like an odd value.

I never actually tested it before to see if its listed 1s tick rate, was correct.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Healing potions have no cooldown and are trivial to craft hundreds of, so their combat/healing system in general needs a lot of work.

The healing aura was pretty egregious, but just the most obvious problem out of a host of other system problems really.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I've been enjoying this quite a bit. Got 25 last night, I feel like probably only a handful of quests left. I honestly haven't fucked with any of the building at all, though it's on my list to build a nice base before I put it down.

I've been an Archer the whole time, and you can definitely cheese fights sometimes. I feel very glass cannon though, I've definitely been 1 and 2 shot a ton of times even with con food going. Arrows are also a pain in the ass. Twigs are easy enough but feather and metals can be annoying.

It's definitely a little funny as you get to the later parts finding Castles and stuff that are just no actually things. The early half is very polished though I feel like.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
For PVE, is there anything left besides that one boss fight? Like once the quests are cleared out on the server that's it?

nevergone

Low IQ Vegan Pacifist
<Gold Donor>
For PVE, is there anything left besides that one boss fight? Like once the quests are cleared out on the server that's it?
For now, yes, there are several areas where there's hard gates preventing anyone from accessing due to early access.
Not sure how expansive they plan on making the world and if there's an endgame loop planned, but the remaining area of the map is pretty huge.
The playable area currently looks to be about 1/3 of the total map.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Yeah I think I'll hold off until more area is opened up and the server progression thing is changed for individuals. I'm kind of glad I didn't play if there's still only a small portion of the game available. Now the hard part is just ignoring anything about the game so I can go in fresh.

• 1Like

fris

Vyemm Raider
has anyone played this, and Scum or Icarus? looking for a survival game that's solo friendly. I might have a duo that jumps in occasionally. looking for something i can play, progress, and not have it wiped out if I log out for a while.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
has anyone played this, and Scum or Icarus? looking for a survival game that's solo friendly. I might have a duo that jumps in occasionally. looking for something i can play, progress, and not have it wiped out if I log out for a while.
I will say a thing about Enshrouded that kind of bothers me, though I think it's intentional design, the only stuff that is persistent is your character progress and stuff within range of your bases. The rest of the world resets. Though I think it's intentional, because most chest loot is random and stuff so it lets you farm it. Also lets you mine stuff again, etc. I would rather be able to just permanently change the world. But it's kind of whatever, I still enjoy the game.

• 1Solidarity

Xevy

Log Wizard
Yeah in the open beta it was the opposite and it was kind of a pain in the dick. We'd have people go "exploring" while we worked on the base and then when we went out all the chests were looted and there was no reward to really exploring nooks/crannies/hard to find places.

Caliane

I put a pretty good amount of time into this one, not scum or icarus though. decent amount of time into conan while it was in EA, not sure on where it endedup. tiny amount into ark.
7days to die, palword, valhiem, etc. a good number of others various amounts in..

Ok, so enshrouded. This one stands out for 2 things. 1. its mostly handcrafted voxel world. 2. its voxel base building.

1. handcrafted voxel world.
so, they used a.i. proc gen to generate the world in the first place, then went in after and refined it to build specific elements. theres times you can tell, other times when its pretty finely handcrafted. The preset hand crafted world absolutely plays better as a single player game. Theres lots of hidden treasure you'd miss out on playing party running off in every direction at once. its 1000% more enjoyable to explore and uncover at your own pace here.
The voxel world, you can dig anywhere. you can read amusing reviews complaining about being locked in the tutorial area by the grapple hook gateway. people who never thought to just dig a tunnel up the cliff. (or noticed the obvious path across) Theres entire ass dungeons HIDDEN behind collapsed tunnels, under rubble, etc, you need to keep your eyes open notice a tell, or whatever and DIG. This is largely why the world reseting is a thing. its not minecraft where, when hollowed out, you can expand spawn more progen world. if the world didnt reset, mining it out, would create a dead server eventually.
loot... is pathetic atm. there are so many hidden chests, and dungeons.. but way, way too little loot to fill them. a huge part of the game atm is finding some super cool secret dungeon, chest, opening it... and getting the same level 10 green wand you already got and salvaged 20 times. This is by far one of the biggest flaws with the game atm.

2. voxel base building. lots of visual pieces. massively simplifies actually placing blocks, so actually building things is easy and effective. something landmark failed at for example. it was so powerful and complex.. that it was a chore to just build a simple 4 walls and a roof... The things people are building in this are incredible.
your bases, up to 8, are permanent with no decay mechanic. Everywhere outside of them is a 30min timer.

limited, repetitive enemies are the other big flaw here.

Guzrog

<Gold Donor>
The everything respawning was also a weird choice to me but I was playing solo. Ultimately the game was just to vanilla to hold my interest. I'm not a big builder either though. I got my 6 NPCs and more or less had seen enough.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Think they reduced some respawn timers on things too to help with some of the problems with the way progression works, allowing bosses to be hit again every 30 minutes or something.

Given the option right now, I'd go Icarus if you want to sink dozens of hours into something and occasionally have someone else drop in for a session or two. You can have food/gear setup and ready to go for them and don't have to worry about any of the progression stuff, etc.

We've decided on Enshrouded for LAN next weekend, will report back on how that goes. Just going to run a dedicated on my local machine for the duration and tell people to not progress certain quests unless the bulk of us are on the server. I've put 11 hours into the game, think I've only gotten 3 of the crafter guys and spent the rest of the time messing w/ building.

Caliane

Theres also Nightengale coming out in a couple days. didnt try that one myself.