Enter the Gungeon

Croetec

Lord Nagafen Raider

Comes out on Tuesday for Steam/PS4, co-op version of shmup/bullethell roguelikes such as Nuclear Throne and Binding of Isaac.

norp

Bronze Squire
Been watching the promotional stream on Twitch, looks real fun from what I've seen so far. Will be picking this up I think, hopefully it has neat secrets and extra end-levels like Isaac does.

Agreed, this looks like one of the better games of this sort to release on Steam.

Norp you probably know about Nuclear Throne already, if not you should check it out based on what you said about secrets and extra levels. One of my favorite games of 2015 overall.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I got to play this a bunch at PAX last year, and even the build from back then was a blast to play. Really looking forward to this.

I do kind of wish it had better multiplayer, as it mostly uses the Isaac system where P2 steals a life from P1 and spawns in as a one health guy with a shitty attack. Also it's local only. Maybe it's just me but I'd love to see one of these rogue-lite type games have a solid multiplayer component.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Released now. Tried it some on PC. Bought it on PS4 too.

Fun but hard? Added a question mark since a majority of the difficulty probably comes from me being bad. Opening level seems harder than Isaac for sure.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Game is definitely harder than Isaac, thought probably not as hard as Nuclear Throne.

It's a fucking blast and a half though.

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
Are the controls twin stick like Issac or more mouse keyboard like Nuclear Throne?

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Much closer to Nuclear Throne. You can play with a gamepad, and it gives you an aim assist when you do, but I'm kinda torn still. Game pad is obviously way more comfortable, but even with the assist it feels like you lose a lot of precision compared to using the mouse.

Croetec

Lord Nagafen Raider
Games alright so far but most of the guns feel like they do next to no damage or at most some enemies need their hp tuned better. Machinegun hand was the only weapon I've found so far that was even remotely good, tank boss was a royal pain in the ass as it summons machinegun minions alongside its giant room covering spray.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Guns are definitely not all created equal. Usually you wind up having a few burner guns that you use to clear rooms, while saving 1-2 of your better weapons for bosses. The starter weapon for all the chars really can't keep up by like floor 3, so having a lot of middling-tier guns available is kind of required just to clear normal enemies past a certain point.

Seems a lot of guns fire faster as well if you mash the button rather than just hold it, revolvers and handguns especially.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
It seems like Isaac in that respect, if you don't get some damage upgrades early on you're just going to hate your life. So far my Isaac skills are somewhat but not really transferring over...

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
It's definitely far harder than Isaac in a purely twitch sense. Not quite as rapey as Nuclear Throne, but definitely up there.

It does share a lot with Isaac in terms of strategy/resource conservation though. I think it'll get easier for people once everyone figures out the secret room mechanic, which chests to spend keys on/which to ignore etc. Also a lot of the unlocks are quite good, so just spending more time clearing bosses to buy more items helps a lot.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yea I mean I got to level 3 on my first run so it's not completely alien. Unless that's level 3 of like 90 in which case fuuuuuccckkkk. I haven't been able to figure out secret rooms yet so probably gonna wiki that as people figure it out.

The Windup gun is both hilarious and obnoxious at the same time

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Wait until you find the lower case r gun, it shoots the word bullet over and over and high speeds and says it every time it does so -_-

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Almost grabbed for some couch co-op with my daughter then I saw you have to beat the game once to unlock co-op, that seems rough.

Read some more and co-op isn't really recommended anyway
frown.png

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
You don't have to beat it to unlock co-op, it's available from the start.

The co-op isn't perfect, but it ain't bad. Player 2 doesn't get to pick their character, they are always the same little purple robed dude, and they start with a shitty nerf pistol but can pick up other guns same as player 1.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Just picked this up and I'm enjoying it but dear lord do I suck. Getting to level 3 is considered a good run for me. Any general tips on shit I may be missing because I'm finding this quite difficult. I generally play the Marine.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Shop on the first floor will always have a key if you haven't found one yet, so always check it first so you can pick up a key for 25 brass.

Secret rooms are slanted towards sticking off of the dungeon map rather then being someplace interior, so better to check outer walls for them, especially the chest rooms.

Ammo drops are a separate roll from getting a generic item drop on room clear, and chances increase if you're carrying guns that use ammo and/or are empty, so don't be too afraid to use that shit.

Chest tiers go wood > blue > green > red > black. Wood chests are rarely worth opening unless you have a massive glut of keys or have the lockpick. If you open both chests on a level one will be a gun and the other will be a passive/active item. Bosses will always give a gun as a reward if you haven't found one that floor.

You can steal items from the shop if you have things that invis/conceal you, or with the grappling hook from very far away. Stealing more than one item almost always gets you caught and closes shops for that entire run. Also curses you, which isn't normally a huge deal.

Bullet idol shrine trades a heart for damage, always worth. The skeleton ammo shrine fills all guns at the cost of curse, always worth unless you're 100% full on ammo. Dice shrine is very random, but generally worth touching imo. Blank shrine spawns a chest for using a blank, but it's still often locked so use at your own risk. The gun knight shrine or whatever heals you at the cost of the gun you're holding, sometimes worth.

Enemies you get hit by in a room won't drop brass on death, so pay very close attention to the big enemies like gun knights or iron maidens to avoid taking damage from them, as they often drop 10+ brass on death.

Coolness is a hidden luck stat basically that affects item drops upon room clear and items that increase coolness tend to be quite good. Item drop chance (ammo/key/armor/heart etc at end of a room) also increases the longer you go without a drop as well as without getting hit, so taking less damage means more items in general.

The secret floor, the oubliette, is almost always worth doing, even if you have to skip both first floor chests to have enough keys, at least once you're good enough/confident you can kill the first floor boss with a starting gun. The additional rooms for item drop chance and brass pickups far outweigh the two key costs, plus it has 2 chests + possible special rooms and an additional boss drop.

Because of the oubliette I tend to favor the hunter as the "best" character, simply because the crossbow is more than capable of clearing the first floor boss flawlessly, which means you can always have the 2 keys required to get in to the oubliette. Dog finding items is just gravy really.

The 2nd secret room is generally only worth it once you're pretty good at the game, or have a very good room clear gun, as the floor is MUCH harder than the regular floor 3, and the boss there is one of the most difficult in the game aside from end bosses.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Gamepad has auto aim but is still much shitter shooting than with a mouse.

Dodgerolling and movement in general is better with an analog stick though.

I prefer keyboard overall, having dodge roll on mouse2 and reload on a thumb button is what feels best so far.