Enter the Gungeon

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
I disagree entirely. Maybe I don't have enough unlocks, but it seems that you are underpowered way too often going into floor 4.

I don't agree with the game being more fair then Isaac. While you definitely can get sick overpowered in BoI, it isn't nearly common. With smart play you can consistently power up, though, and there are a greater variety of non-shit tier items. Again, that is my biggest problem with this game. There are too many items that are worthless for later floors that clog up chests. Being able to open all your chests on 1 through 3 but getting heart containers, ammolets, or guon stones from green chests really sets you back.

Also, Isaac had some good item fixing through smart pooling that gungeon lacks. Don't even get me started on how often red chests drop heart containers. That is fucked. Combine pooling with ways to reroll drops and Isaac just has far more consistency. Fuck the rat, too. Not being able to drop things and come back is fucking retarded, especially ammo.

Elminage

N00b
I would say that Isaac is generally a more interesting game because you can combine different abilities and you get to abuse/enjoy the synergies. In Gungeon, you usually only use one gun at once, without much of a modifier or differentiator. Also, like LiquidDeath said, so many of the guns are just worthless.

Gungeon and Isaac are different games though: Isaac uses keyboard for attack, while Gungeon uses mouse for attack. So they're both good, and both worth playing, and it's tough for me to make a deicsion as to which control scheme I prefer. I consider it often.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Update is just gravy. New bosses/rooms/guns/enemies etc etc. If you liked it before it's even better now. The hardmode curse thing is pretty interesting as well, but probably not for everyone cause it does get pretty rough.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
After an embarrassingly high amount of time I finally killed my first past. It was Hunter and I got carried pretty hard by getting fat bullets + stout bullets. I didn't get any guns to really rave about but my Mac-10 bullets were taking up like a quarter of the screen and hitting like trucks. I also had to still turn in 2 parts of the bullet so I got the part from Hallow and the part from Dragun (first time killing him as well) then went and killed my past on Hunter which was trivially easy. Going to try and unlock the bullet now.

Rime

<Donor>
Supposedly, the Supply Crate Update seriously nerfed your chances of 'snowballing' by getting numerous good items. Sucks. That has always been one of the best parts of games like this.

Despite the gross atmosphere/theme, Binding of Isaac is probably still the best game in this genre. Bullet Hell/Rogue Lite?

kudos

<Banned>
What's with this 8-bit pixel bullshit the last few years? I'm tired of it. Is it due to lack of money or graphical talent? Why can't we have good graphics with this style of gameplay? In my head I equate this to fund me style games.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 1 users

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Well animated, designed, and drawn pixel art is INSANELY easier/cheaper to make than "realistic" 3D rendered models. Look at games like Clandestine if you want to see what cheap 3D models gets you. Awful animations, awful design, I would much rather have had that game be cartoony but what can ya do. If you want expensive-ass realistic 3D rendering, you pay for it with your $60 AAA titles (and even a lot of those fuck it up).

In several more years, maybe there'll be a better system for that sort of thing and it will be more accessible, but it's hard to say since the bar for "good" graphics always moves to the newest hot titles.

kudos

<Banned>
I don't mind drawn art in video games. I really like the animated style in a lot of Japanese RPG games. Even if these games had an HD updated version of Diablo 2 style I'd be happy. Every time I see this pixel art shit I instantly think some basement nerd or some kid going to school to be a video game designer decided to make a gofundme for his stupid idea for a game.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Diablo 2 wasn't cartoony at all... And this is just a different type of approach than the JRPG animation style. There are top-down-ish actiony games that use that style (like the old Rangnarok Online I suppose), it's just different art styles with pros and cons of each. I think the art and design of Enter the Gungeon is absolutely fantastic, the little details and charm of everything is top notch. If you just don't LIKE pixel art, then yea you won't like that. But it's as valid as any other cheaper way of designing game assets really.

I don't much like Monet but I wouldn't argue that those pieces are from some talentless loser.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Just picked this up on the steam sale after seeing the dunkey video.

This game is great. Do recommend.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
The huge free content update is out today and it's fucking great.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Bullet hell games aren’t typically my thing, but that dunkey vid made it look pretty fun.

ValkyrieIATD

Silver Knight of the Realm
New content update is great, but they jacked up the screen borders on console. Health, inventory, etc is cut off. Dodgeroll is aware of the issue and working on a patch but that kind of stuff makes it impossible for me to play -- like a splinter in the corner of your eye -- you can't ignore it.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Some necromancy here but I have been playing this a good amount lately. It's kind of addicting once you get good at it. Runs are short. I haven't beat any of it yet but I have unlocked a lot of stuff.

I do dislike getting boned with super shitty guns early so the bosses are just a slog. The Pilot is worthless, fuck that character.

Metalhead

Blackwing Lair Raider
The only redeeming quality of the pilot is I believe he has a 50% chance to not use a key when opening chests.

Also each main level has a alternate level to it if you are picking up the "secret" items to open up the alternate paths. Doing so will double the amount of chests you get on a run, but the secret levels themselves are relatively hard. Good to get used to running them though.

A good early game strat if you have the first floor bosses down is to kill the boss before unlocking anything. If you haven't picked up a gun on the level yet the boss is guaranteed to drop one. Kill boss, get gun, open chests (or in the case of floor 1, you need two keys to open up the secret path - roll a water barrel into the fireplace and hit the switch behind it).

Last edited:

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I've done that, I've saved like 5 NPCs and I get to level 4 often enough.

Metalhead

Blackwing Lair Raider
If you've unlocked rainbow chest runs those are pretty fun. You get one chest on each floor when you start that spits out 8-10 items and you pick one item out of the pile up. You get lots of good items quick.