EQ Never

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
That's the problem with these fucking games now. You get filtered into a guild based on your commitment and skill and it has fuck all to do with friends anymore. Especially the higher in progression you get.

Jarnin_sl

shitlord
The problem isn't voice chat. The problem is shitty friends. Make better friends.
^ this.

I've been playing the same game for about 4 years now. Joined a guild about a year and a half in, and was told I had to use voice chat for all guild events. No problem, I thought. Then I get into their TS server and it turned out that all it was was shit talk. They didn't use voice chat to communicate faster/more efficiently, all it was was bad jokes, shit talking, and e-peen waving. I stopped using voice after that, except when I group up with the few folks in the guild I get along with.

The guild leader actually asked me once, "how come you don't use TS anymore?" I told him if I wanted to hear a bunch of babbling idiots, I'd turn on talk radio.

Tol_sl

shitlord
That's the problem with these fucking games now. You get filtered into a guild based on your commitment and skill and it has fuck all to do with friends anymore. Especially the higher in progression you get.
That's really my issue. I have a great core group of friends from the old days, the problem is that any given time they're spread throughout 5-7 different MMOs and in the rare event several of us roll in the same game on the same server, we always end up having different playtimes and levels of activity, so we end up in different guilds most of the time.

Shit, even in EQ most of us hated the local idiots, the difference then was that we didn't have to listen to those morons talk nonstop and could just gloss over what garbage they were spewing into chat. I'm not the only one who was in a few cliquey subchannels of elitist assholes who hated everyone else in the raid, am I? The last time I actually enjoyed using vent was with 2-3 people from FoH back on FV, so it's not that I'm utterly opposed to it or anything. It's just hard finding people who aren't totally shitty in some games, and listening to them prattle endlessly in vent is like some horrible Guantanamo Bay torture. Every guild I've joined on a whim to burn through some content has always had at least 4-5 people like that who hang in vent all day.

MMOs: a social experience

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
That's really my issue. I have a great core group of friends from the old days, the problem is that any given time they're spread throughout 5-7 different MMOs and in the rare event several of us roll in the same game on the same server, we always end up having different playtimes and levels of activity, so we end up in different guilds most of the time.

Shit, even in EQ most of us hated the local idiots, the difference then was that we didn't have to listen to those morons talk nonstop and could just gloss over what garbage they were spewing into chat. I'm not the only one who was in a few cliquey subchannels of elitist assholes who hated everyone else in the raid, am I? The last time I actually enjoyed using vent was with 2-3 people from FoH back on FV, so it's not that I'm utterly opposed to it or anything. It's just hard finding people who aren't totally shitty in some games, and listening to them prattle endlessly in vent is like some horrible Guantanamo Bay torture. Every guild I've joined on a whim to burn through some content has always had at least 4-5 people like that who hang in vent all day.

MMOs: a social experience
Personally, Voice chat doesn't bother me. I enjoy Talking with people As I play. Otherwise it feel Too much like a Single player Game.

Big Dubya: Randomly Capitalizing words for No fucking reason.

Bellringer_sl

shitlord
Is it not probable that, in many cases, people with who share a common amount of commitment and skill would probably become friends?

Elidroth_sl

shitlord
The problem isn't voice chat. The problem is shitty friends. Make better friends.
This +millions. I've been playing with the same group of people now for the better part of 10 years. We play to have fun together, not to try and be on the bleeding-edge of a game's progress. It really is about the journey, and not the destination.

Madikus

Knows nothing.
This +millions. I've been playing with the same group of people now for the better part of 10 years. We play to have fun together, not to try and be on the bleeding-edge of a game's progress. It really is about the journey, and not the destination.
+1 for me as well. I'm still playing with the same 5 or 6 people I met on AOL Engage playing WC2 with.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
Might just be a situational thing, as I enjoy vent/skype whatever at times with folks of a like mind , but sometimes after all day at work , time with the wife and kids, then finally settling down by myself late at night to play a couple hours, the last thing I want to hear is a chat party line.

Again I get it's usefulness and enjoyment with the right crowd , but after hearing everyone all day long sometimes I'd rather just hear the in game music and sounds while still chatting in text chat in game. Voice has grown on me over the years with the right folks , just the "you have to be on vent if you are on" mentality I've found in some guilds gets old.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
That doesn't tell the whole story though. Sure, playing with the same 5-10 people isn't exactly what voice chat is usually used for many times. It's the 20 or possibly more that raid together as a guild. Get better friends...doesn't really mean jack shit in that circumstance. Sure, you meet friends in these guilds, but not every jackass in your guild is a friend. And sometimes the jackass helps get you through content better than the friend you have with the mismatched schedule. I hate voice chat but sometimes you have to put up with it. I do prefer my raids to have voice chat though.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Latest roundtable video, on grouping.

The short version:
-there will be a group-finding tool
-there probably won't be a raid-finder
-they're going GW2-style, where ungrouped players can work together without kill-stealing, and without any sort of encounter-locking mechanic.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Do they specify if the group feature is automated and you get penalized for not putting up with the clowns?

Devnull_sl

shitlord
I got a kick out of this today. Ponytail posted this to Twitter

@DaveGeorgeson_sl said:
Here's a key for Alpha, but you have to work at it a bit. J7FA-GHCT-V3MT-4#VH-33FR (NOTE: The # is not a legit char. Figure it out!)
Which caused several people to lose access to their SOE accounts out for invalid key attempts.

@DaveGeorgeson_sl said:
Give CS a call and they'll unlock your account. Once again, I sincerely apologize.

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
Smed just tweeted this pic and said it was not Landmark (So assuming it's not EQN)

The new game possibly?

rrr_img_58419.jpg

arallu

Golden Knight of the Realm
New game is prolly that H1Z1 zombie thing. You know zombies are all the rage now, and sandboxes.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Shitty shitty shit.
See, now that part I actually liked. Going from EQ2 to GW2, I found it a nice change of pace to be able to actually play with other people, even if I wasn't grouped up with them, and our paths had just happened to cross for a few minutes. And looking back at past games, designing a supposedly social game so that the presence of any player you aren't grouped with actively detracts from the gameplay is kinda ass-backwards.

Column_sl

shitlord
I don't think they're dumb enough to do another Zombie game, those waters are saturated, and people are usually pretty loyal to just one.