EQ Never

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
This is shaping up to be a blend of all the sterile, casual MMO features of the last decade. This is seriously embarrassing. It's amazing that developers keep churning out games that don't inconvenience but also don't engage.

I haven't really kept up with the Brad McQuaid news. Have his ideas about a "hardcore" MMO gained any traction?
It doesn't seem you've kept up with any of the games. Maybe you should educate yourself first?

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Meh, any game that tries to get away from the tried and true trinity is fail in my book. Content that you dont need heals for, seriously?

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Is it a tank/heal/dps or tank/heal/cc trinity in that book of yours? Just wondering where you stand.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
Tank/cc/healer is fine but the interaction with enemies leaves a lot of room for improvement. Things like mob ai/intelligence should effect the mobs actions, ie a tank should have no problem keeping an angry elephant on him by getting its attention, but an enemy human caster might quickly figure out he needs to kill the healer first. And there should be abilities implemented to let us modify these scenarios as well. For example if the mob is intelligent ai, then maybe we need to use a skill to debuff it's intelligence first. Or maybe there's a skill that involves either making the healer difficult to identify for the enemy, etc.

Tank and spank is ok but not every fight should be the same, and common sense should dictate a mobs behavior pattern, rather than just giving the same ai to every creature you fight

Randin

Trakanon Raider
I am just worried that they are headed down the Guild Wars 2 route. While it sounded good in theory, the group mechanics in PVE was terrible. GW2 should be the benchmark in combat that you steer clear away from, not the one that you set your sight to obtain.
The downfall of GW2's group combat was that their solution to getting rid of the trinity was to make it so all classes could perform all three roles at once; everyone could tank and/or CC, everyone could dps, and everyone had a dedicated heal slot on their hotbar, and everyone could do them all simultaneously. This led to group combat largely boiling down to everyone taking care of themselves, with no real coordination between players.

EQN's class system, with the restrictions on what types of abilities specific classes can slot, ought to avoid that particular pitfall. We'll see if they manage to find entirely new pitfalls.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Who said anything about tank and spank?

Also if they design AI to be "smart" it will beat you every time. There is a fine balance between smart AI and AI that people will tolerate.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
EQ next isn't going to be like any MMO we've seen so far, it's honestly just a whole new type of game imo.
Anyone expecting it to be what we have seen for the last 14 years, or any type of MUD is going to be very disappointed.

Either this game won't work at all, or will be the next big thing. There really is no middle ground for this one.
I'm good with that though... I'd rather have a hit or miss than play for 2-3 months and just get tired. At least i'm going into this without any certain expectation.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
I'm good with that though... I'd rather have a hit or miss than play for 2-3 months and just get tired. At least i'm going into this without any certain expectation.
Basically. There are two extremes I want: an old school experience like Pantheon is trying to be or something entirely different like EQN because I can't the same routine shit we've been seeing since the WoW and EQ2 days.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Its how everything is going these days. Make everything PC and make everyone winners. Then everyone wins and everyone is happy, right? Sharing shit like care-bears? Until they find out that its boring as fuck to live in vanilla PC landia.

arallu

Golden Knight of the Realm
So, there's no encounter-locking mechanism in place and loot will be shared? Please tell me I am wrong.
rrr_img_58519.jpg

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Well EQ didnt have encounter locking either, and they've not said a word about loot in that regard.

I doubt they go EQs way there (do more damage to loot), but that doesnt mean GW2 either (although I could live with GW2). Might be loot is randomly given to anyone contributing past a threshold instead of the one with most dps. Might be the initiating party gets any "special" loot while all participants can get xp, vendor shit, coin and craft stuff.

I do dislike mobs locking to the first person to hit them like in WoW, TOR (and EQ2?). I like the GW2 system of people being encouraged to assist each other on the fly. Now GW2 didnt have a good loot system (to go along with them not having any good loot) so they have to figure something out in that regard, but it's an area that can be improved.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Well EQ didnt have encounter locking either, and they've not said a word about loot in that regard.

I doubt they go EQs way there (do more damage to loot), but that doesnt mean GW2 either (although I could live with GW2). Might be loot is randomly given to anyone contributing past a threshold instead of the one with most dps. Might be the initiating party gets any "special" loot while all participants can get xp, vendor shit, coin and craft stuff.

I do dislike mobs locking to the first person to hit them like in WoW, TOR (and EQ2?). I like the GW2 system of people being encouraged to assist each other on the fly. Now GW2 didnt have a good loot system (to go along with them not having any good loot) so they have to figure something out in that regard, but it's an area that can be improved.
I also hope they have learned from the things GW2 did poorly. That is one advantage to GW2 doing certain things first. Good feedback for this team on what to try and avoid. If you don't like something then we just have to hope theres enough negative feedback for them to reassess. This game won't be perfect especially since it's doing new things. I do think it will be fun, difficult, and completely different.

Mughal

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Also if they design AI to be "smart" it will beat you every time. There is a fine balance between smart AI and AI that people will tolerate.
Designing soul crushing AI is super easy especially as you start adding more and more units where they can coordinate with each other.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Are you serious?

For instance in early EQ they made the AI smart in that it attacked the healer first. Like you or I would do in a PvP situation. People were getting their asses handed to them, complained and they changed it.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Are you serious?
People scream for better AI all the time and go off on how they hate trinity combat. The trinity system was a compromise between player ability and coding an ai players could deal with while still being fun.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
People don't know what they ask for. People are dumbasses. This is why we have game designers which study game design making those decisions, not dumb people.