EQ Never

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Same thing with EQ! If one camp is killed and you want to check out another spawn you have another destination in mind! You're always running somewhere else!

Meh. If you're going to start breaking down the game to every keystroke then I'm not gonna get involved. You can keep your semantics and minutia. You get that style of play in raid zones and dungeons etc. That's fine, because in most games these days you can level strictly by doing dungeons and shit. Or grinding in one area. Or whatever.

Hell in Rift, I leveled a Cleric to 50 by killing in a single zone doing instant adventurers over and over. Most often in the same spot. Then I leveled killing the same 40 level 13 undead farmers for a while too sitting in one spot. A brother likes some variety once in a while.

Every game allows you to play the way you want, it just might not be obvious to you if you can't seem to ignore all the yellow exclamation points.

Deisun_sl

shitlord
Fair enough.
Well, either way I think we went off on a tangent with this discussion. I don't even remember what the real argument is :/

Lets get back to something more important.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
There's nothing more important in this thread other than yelling at each other. The main point was that Laura was calling WOW Runcraft and I said that was retarded, then Convo and Flip derped in thinking that I'm some WOW fanboy. Then you chimed in and said that because WOW's main form of leveling was questing which keeps you moving around areas within a zone that means your "always running" because anything other than standing in a corner of a dungeon somewhere pulling shit is considered "running around".

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah, I mean we do run our asses off in these games, that's true. But what really matters, especially now that were all pretty much seasoned mmo players, is how the travel and other designed in time sinks are masked. In vanilla wow I did not mind the running, because the entire notion of questing for exp was new and fresh idea. But today, after having played WoW, Rift, SWTOR, WAR, Conan and others to max level, the entire questing and running is not so fresh anymore and a drag.

Draegen is right, wecanjust sit in one spot and camp shit in any of these games /shrug

Deisun_sl

shitlord
Draegan: well if you hate travelling and you're playing a quest treadmill game that's forcing you to travel back and forth 100 times for every area.... I guess I can see why you hate travelling.

And mkopkec, I agree. It's definitely a drag. I'm not really sure anybody likes having 50 quests to go kill things or collect things anymore. At least I hope not. This quest treadmill mentality has to go away if the genre wants to have any chance at saving itself. Or I mean, MAYBE just having LESS quests and make them much larger instead - spanning multiple levels for 1 quest and involve many parts of the world? Is that viable? I don't know. All I know is I hate having 50 small collect 10 bear ass quests to complete for every single area.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Draegan: well if you hate travelling and you're playing a quest treadmill game that's forcing you to travel back and forth 100 times for every area.... I guess I can see why you hate travelling.

And mkopkec, I agree. It's definitely a drag. I'm not really sure anybody likes having 50 quests to go kill things or collect things anymore. At least I hope not. This quest treadmill mentality has to go away if the genre wants to have any chance at saving itself. Or I mean, MAYBE just having LESS quests and make them much larger instead - spanning multiple levels for 1 quest and involve many parts of the world? Is that viable? I don't know. All I know is I hate having 50 small collect 10 bear ass quests to complete for every single area.
It's definitely viable. I am not too sure why every designer under the sun needs to think we need to be level locked into zones/areas. Rather than worry about that, XP gain should be dynamic based on the mob per level (Have the mobs grow with the character on a flagging system they could also grow their abilities with them so the encounters are not so bland) and then with a standard XP base per kill, design quests to go around the entire world involving groups, raids, single player content, etc. And design those from great hand written material without quest text to span an entire life of a character.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
The "next best thing" whatever that means, won't have quest grinds or mob grinds. It will have some form of activities and objectives rather than laundry lists of things to do and turn in. Think GW2 or Rift.

I honestly think the "next best thing" won't have levels at all honestly, but we had that discussion already.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
The "next best thing" whatever that means, won't have quest grinds or mob grinds. It will have some form of activities and objectives rather than laundry lists of things to do and turn in. Think GW2 or Rift.

I honestly think the "next best thing" won't have levels at all honestly, but we had that discussion already.
I missed it. Lets have that discussion again. At least until Smedley releases anything on EQNext.

Deisun_sl

shitlord
It would be a super interesting experiment to have no levels and just allow players to get stronger through items and spellbooks found throughout the world. Not sure what kind of complications would arise out of that though (haven't thought about it much)

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
It would be a super interesting experiment to have no levels and just allow players to get stronger through items and spellbooks found throughout the world. Not sure what kind of complications would arise out of that though (haven't thought about it much)
Developers would actually have to work in the office to balance the dynamics.

(Sorry)

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I missed it. Lets have that discussion again. At least until Smedley releases anything on EQNext.
Go back a few pages and look for the shit fest where people love slow leveling and hate people "rushing to max". It wasn't a very good discussion honestly. Most people wanted levels to take forever so they can grind the same area forever.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Go back a few pages and look for the shit fest where people love slow leveling and hate people "rushing to max". It wasn't a very good discussion honestly. Most people wanted levels to take forever so they can grind the same area forever.
That would suck. How about they make leveling take forever but the quest is so long it doesn't matter and it takes people across completely different quest mechanics, styles, groups, raids, etc - so by the time 5 months is done it feels like 4 hours.

Mythas 5thboardnow

Silver Knight of the Realm
Its completely cool to sum up your oppositions argument into one cliche and completely wrong "quote". So yeah clearly the better choice is to install the game and get rewarded with

" A WINNAR IS YOU! "
You have gained level 50 / 50
You have looted superdeduper +1 bestest dragon slying armor
Begin your journey now at the start of the game ( even though there were 49 previous levels spanning multiple contients ( but who wants to see that shit anyway) )
You have 3 dunegons and one half tuned raid instance from which you can enjoy in one tiny lobby while you que up with people you'll never see again for a quick 5 minute "dungeon adventure"

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
There's nothing more important in this thread other than yelling at each other. The main point was that Laura was calling WOW Runcraft and I said that was retarded, then Convo and Flip derped in thinking that I'm some WOW fanboy. Then you chimed in and said that because WOW's main form of leveling was questing which keeps you moving around areas within a zone that means your "always running" because anything other than standing in a corner of a dungeon somewhere pulling shit is considered "running around".
I never said you were a WoW fanboy. Don't get so defensive guy. I said you were probably the guy who was behind poopsickledeath.. ;-) I would say your idea of what's fun is different than mine. It's just I respect yours a bit more as opposed to you writing little condescending blubs about how silly we are for enjoying "pulling" shit to a corner. Even though it's much bigger than that.

arallu

Golden Knight of the Realm
EQNext on PS4?

John Smedley ?@j_smedley
we are VERY excited about the Playstation 4. Read into that what you will
smile.png

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
EQNext on PS4?

John Smedley ?@j_smedley
No doubt in my mind that MMO's are going to show up on the next generation consoles. More people on servers are ultimately more appealing. Cross-platform makes sense, especially being under the same umbrella. I still prefer PC when playing MMO's but to my understanding a lot of people like playing them on consoles just as much. Good way to get more box sales in a F2P model as well.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
From my understanding the next gen consoles might as well be called PCs anyway, so yeah, it makes sense. Same with Palnetside 2 as well.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Its completely cool to sum up your oppositions argument into one cliche and completely wrong "quote". So yeah clearly the better choice is to install the game and get rewarded with

" A WINNAR IS YOU! "
You have gained level 50 / 50
You have looted superdeduper +1 bestest dragon slying armor
Begin your journey now at the start of the game ( even though there were 49 previous levels spanning multiple contients ( but who wants to see that shit anyway) )
You have 3 dunegons and one half tuned raid instance from which you can enjoy in one tiny lobby while you que up with people you'll never see again for a quick 5 minute "dungeon adventure"
What? That's what I said at all. Nice effort though.

Agenor

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
EQNext on PS4?

John Smedley ?@j_smedley
I swear I remember reading an article a few years back stating that when the next gen console launches for Sony, that all mmorpg's will be launched on their console, as well as pc's to try and level the hardware playing field to the masses. My google fu is not serving me well on said article so far though.

Edit: Here's the artilcle about MMO'S in the future, interview with Smed.

http://www.engagedigital.com/blog/20...ny-to-take-al/