EQ Never

Dumar_sl

shitlord
We have this book called a Rohsong, and it has all kinds of tips and hints in it. We know what you?ve done in the past. We know that you?ve done a bunch of crafting or done a bunch of exploring or done a bunch of combat. And what we?re going to do through the Rohsong is give you tips and hints on how to get to more of the stuff that you have already shown us that you like to play. We?ll be guiding you into areas of the world where you might find that stuff.
What the fuck is this. I don't want a 'hint book' you fucking ponytail faggot. So ridiculous. STOP WITH THE HANDHOLDING.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
Sounds Just like a huge yellow mark to be honest. A book of tips and hints eh?

One thing I hoped for was a game where I had to figure my own stuff out, like WHERE I SHOULD GO. Not to have some little magical BOOK telling me what or where I should go.
This is what worries me the most. They make comments saying "It's a very non-guided experience" where players have to "figure things out on their own", then they later make comments about some magical book that suggests where you go.

I really liked most everything they said at SoE Live, I'm just afraid that it's not going to be quite what they claimed it was once it's actually out of the 'idea' phase and actually implemented.

Hmerly

Golden Knight of the Realm
Lol, you bring up EQ as having multiple starting cities and state why they can't do it today? You do realize that this argument is stupid as the amount of resources necessary to create content today is astronomically higher than it was back when EQ launched right? Do you not even realize the vast amount of artwork that is required for a game like EQN, especially compared to the artwork for a game like EQ when it launched? Games cost a ton more to develop now so don't bring up how thing were done in the long past and say why can't they do it today. It is a lot more costly to produce all this high fidelity artwork we demand today compared to the basic triangles for mountains we had back when EQ released.

People are not defending SONY, people are saying this game is at least something on the horizon that isn't trying to be another WoW clone. i don't care for much of what has been described, but I do understand their reasoning. I also hate some of the lore they've put out, but hell, I really could give a rat's ass about the story as I sure didn't care much about it back in EQ. Its all going to be about how this game plays when it gets released. If it is enjoyable and engrossing then great, if not, well, at least it doesn't cost me anything. This is basically a best of all worlds situation to me. I don't really like free to play, but if you think about it, FTPlay makes it so the devs better delivery something decent or they're not going to have many people staying on for long. I didn't pay for this so I am not going to slog through crap.

one starting city for all races is lazy, shitty programming. seriously, you're telling me it's doable in the original EQ in 1999 but somehow would be too taxing to do it in 2013 and beyond? the depths at which the people posting here will go to defend the devs at sony is truly pathetic. they had a chance to make a truly epic next gen EQ game, and they are doing whatever they can to fuck it up, and that's the truth of it. they are shitting in your mouths and calling it a sundae, and you are letting them.

Furious

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Not vomiting all over it at all bro.

A poster said there won't be yellow marks above the npc heads and I showed him there will be. It is very scary that the people in charge of making the next everquest seem to not understand immersion.

Drop me on a rally cry? Why not let me wonder till I find it or I fall into a ditch and drown.
Give me a magic book that tells me where to go? Great no need to learn myself!! ect ect ect.

Tad, we all wan't to love this game, Hell I was shopping for a New GPU and I just bought one for GW2 just anticipating this game.

BUT, the list of stuff they are doing wrong in the perspective of the most dedicated EQ players ever (RR) gives me great concern. Hopefully our voice can be heard a bit, as I hope yours is concerning the lore.

Furious

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This is what worries me the most. They make comments saying "It's a very non-guided experience" where players have to "figure things out on their own", then they later make comments about some magical book that suggests where you go.

I really liked most everything they said at SoE Live, I'm just afraid that it's not going to be quite what they claimed it was once it's actually out of the 'idea' phase and actually implemented.
I honestly think as of right now, they are just saying whatever comes into their heads. Another poster said a few pages back that he thought the world was almost made/finished. In that interview the producer said that they want US to build the world using Landmark.

On EQ Next Landmark vs. EQ Next: While having two separate hit games would be great with Georgeson, he said, "We're serious about Landmark being the gateway to EverQuest Next. We really want it to be the vehicle by which everybody gets to help us build that next big virtual world."

He never said "use landmark to add/grow this huge world we already have made". Makes it sound like there's not much there yet.

I'm positive what they showed at SOE live was All they have. VOXEL farm is too new to have built a world on it yet with their limited staff (what 20-30?)

It will be interesting to watch this play out.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
Another poster said a few pages back that he thought the world was almost made/finished. In that interview the producer said that they want US to build the world using Landmark.
I wonder how true this is, or if it's just a marketing gimmick to try and get Landmark to the 'critical mass' that they kept talking about.

dechire

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Didn't Warhammer Online at one point pimp this book that was all your stats and a living thing or some such? I remember the man in white sunglasses talking it up at one point

Lleauaric

Sparkletot Monger
Sounds Just like a huge yellow mark to be honest. A book of tips and hints eh?

One thing I hoped for was a game where I had to figure my own stuff out, like WHERE I SHOULD GO. Not to have some little magical BOOK telling me what or where I should go.

Hard mode, PVP, Death Penalty, no TIPS server please.

Oh plus original Gnomes.
I don't see how a book that is telling you to explore a general area in a pretty huge world is JUST LIKE a big fucking exclamation point telling exactly you where to go and exactly what to do. Sounds to me like they are just trying to put people with common interests in the same area.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Not vomiting all over it at all bro.

A poster said there won't be yellow marks above the npc heads and I showed him there will be. It is very scary that the people in charge of making the next everquest seem to not understand immersion.
I'll wait until i see the book in action before making that call.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
Didn't Warhammer Online at one point pimp this book that was all your stats and a living thing or some such? I remember the man in white sunglasses talking it up at one point
rrr_img_40817.jpg

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
Going on vacation for a week in the mountains with no internet, I'll expect a full briefing on what I've missed next Saturday brews

Lleauaric

Sparkletot Monger
I wonder how true this is, or if it's just a marketing gimmick to try and get Landmark to the 'critical mass' that they kept talking about.
They said that they MAY choose really excellent pieces of player made architecture to include.. Through contests or whatever.. Not that they wanted players to build all the cities for them.

As far as the game and its level of completion.. They probably have all the land generated and a couple rally calls/cities set up. I'm thinking all the stuff "god" made (land, physics, life forms) is close to done and all the stuff made by "man" (cities, structures, dungeons, factions, populations, weapons, ect) being worked on.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
Applies to EQN.

video snip
You know what sucks? This dude had to preface everything he said with GUYS I ACTUALLY LOVE THIS FUCKING SERIES for like a minute or two before getting on with his point because people would are so easily offended by criticism that they would've worked themselves into a frenzy without it.