EQ Never

tad10

Elisha Dushku
This all sounds awesome and sky's the limit but the little timmy player factor always comes into play.. How nerfed will it become due to that crowd complaining it's too difficult? I'm wondering if the SB guys are going to really get to see their vision fully play out.
EQN will play out just like Vanilla WoW. A lot of very difficult (and thus interesting) stuff will get nerfed as popuplation passes 2,000,000 and the Timmies cry fowl.

Therefore it pays to play early and often (just like Vanilla WoW).

rolx_sl

shitlord
This all sounds awesome and sky's the limit but the little timmy player factor always comes into play.. How nerfed will it become due to that crowd complaining it's too difficult? I'm wondering if the SB guys are going to really get to see their vision fully play out.
If they really want AI to be smart every mob has to come in and find the group of ppl and start spamming aoe mez and CC. That sounds fun.? Being stun locked half the fight?

rolx_sl

shitlord
You don't know this. There is no requirement that a raid bring 5 clerics for cheal chains. Doesn'tmeant that your average group and raid won't have one or five healing classes which have 1 or 2 healing type abilities slotted.
Yes I do know this. Georgeson said specifically there is no dedicated healers and they want everyone to be up close and personal in the fight.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
What they claim and the reality of what it will actually do remain to be seen. All I'm saying is... I'm very skeptical.
Since you won't go back 50 pages. It works more like this:

rrr_img_41050.jpg

rolx_sl

shitlord
EQN will play out just like Vanilla WoW. A lot of very difficult (and thus interesting) stuff will get nerfed as popuplation passes 2,000,000 and the Timmies cry fowl.

Therefore it pays to play early and often (just like Vanilla WoW).
Or the exact opposite like swotr? You spend 15 hours a day grinding pvp and then once you get the shit you wanted they nerf it to make it 2x as easy and everyone that starts has everything you have in a week that you spent 100's of hours getting.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Yes I do know this. Georgeson said specifically there is no dedicated healers and they want everyone to be up close and personal in the fight.
Nope. He said 'Everyone has responsiblity for their surivial" which means one guy isn't going to sit and tank and another guy going to sit and heal him.

But you're still going to want to group with a healer. And the healer is going to rotate between CC and Healing or maybe DPS and healing. And that fighter guy? If he's in a group with a healer he won't have a heal slotted - despite what Georgeson said.

Srathor

Blackwing Lair Raider
The AI in combat does not need to be emergent,All the Ai ever has to do is Send 3/4th of a pack at the pc's and 1/4 back for reinforcements.Any of the hate mechanic AI in games can be far far more challenging than it has been, Where the Ai has been lacking and I would hope storybricks would be used is in the out of combat realm. Stuff they have been talking about about tags like Guard or Orc and how they have movement patterns based upon those tags. If they blow that up to a zone wide and realm wide thing then we are now talking about really emergent stuff.

If I had the ducats and witherwall to make a game with storybricks and the Voxel farm tech, I would make the world, Make the races of the world with a city and some villages for each race around the city, make up resources like a 4x game, make up storybrick personalities for the rulers, the barons/flunkies, the guards/military, farmers, craftsman, Peons and log carriers and so forth. Then apply the work that has been done before.

The classes skills and spells of EQ1 Flesh out the gaps add some variations based upon racial preferences, Light elves sleep their target, Dark elves Terrorise them. Dwarves get them massively drunk. All three have the same effect.

Now based upon the races storybrick personalities They grow their lands. They build outword till there is conflict. Certain locations are marked as keep, village, farm, mine, logging locations and the tags from storybricks lets the AI send npc's to deal with that. All materials have inexhaustible supplies But you have to have workers/laborers to get the mats back to refineries and such. Mats can be stolen, guards can be killed, workers can be killed. Every npc has a class and xp and can level up. As they level up they get more useful and expensive to maintain.

Locations can be taken over, or destroyed. The world grows and lives and changes. Server downtime saves the state as is, so every server is different. Factions can be wiped out, races can be exterminated if they are driven to extinction and their gods are weakened enough to be killed in their plane.

Then you add in PC's, factions for guilds, the same as citystates and races. Individual factions for PC's and a separate faction for guild tabards and banners and such. Faction hits for actions like killing guards/orcs and faction hits for killing PC's as well depending on alliances.

Thats the game I want to play. Roughly

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Or the exact opposite like swotr? You spend 15 hours a day grinding pvp and then once you get the shit you wanted they nerf it to make it 2x as easy and everyone that starts has everything you have in a week that you spent 100's of hours getting.
Dude you can believe me or not. I don't really care at this point. EQN will follow the path of Vanilla WoW, because that's what it has to do to keep the megamillions of subscribers it'll get. The combats will get easier, the Rohsong will get more specific as to what Timmy should do, yada, yada, yada. But like WoW it'll take some time for that to happen.

So enjoy the ride when it starts, and jump off before it hits kiddie land.

rolx_sl

shitlord
Nope. He said 'Everyone has responsiblity for their surivial" which meansone guy isn't going to sit and tank and another guy going to sit and heal him.

But you're still going to want togroup with a healer. And the healer is going torotate between CC and Healingor maybe DPS and healing. And that fighter guy? If he's in a group with a healer he won't have a heal slotted -despite what Georgeson said.
This whole response is one big contradiction. Georgeson doesn't know what hes talking about but you do, ok.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
But you are thinking about this in todays standard of combat. This is goingto be different because of the storybricks AI. Or so they say.

start thinking outside the fucking box you obtuse motherfucker.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Thats the game I want to play. Roughly
Make it a mix of VG/EQ classes and I'm in. Though, TBH, I'd be happy w/o the destructible world - I'm still not convinced it's going to make that big a difference beyond being able to go down to find mobs.

I hope EQN is such a smashing success that Smed can throw money at a small team to make EQ3.

rolx_sl

shitlord
Dude you can believe me or not. I don't really care at this point. EQN will follow the path of Vanilla WoW, because that's what it has to do to keep the megamillions of subscribers it'll get. The combats will get easier, the Rohsong will get more specific as to what Timmy should do, yada, yada, yada. But like WoW it'll take some time for that to happen.

So enjoy the ride when it starts, and jump off before it hits kiddie land.
All my responses are based off experience, yours are speculation from something you have absouletly 0 knowledge of unless you are a dev. You have no idea about any of the skills that any of the classes get so how would you know what people will have slotted. Everyone will spec a heal that is just 1 more heal during a fight someone will need.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
This whole response is one big contradiction. Georgeson doesn't know what hes talking about but you do, ok.
Pretty much. I'm not the first to state this, Ukerric had a nice long post detailing why, at the end of the day, even with a bunch of hybrids you'll end up with a mix of fighers and support classes in your group. It's just more efficient.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I hope EQN is such a smashing success that Smed can throw money at a small team to make EQ3.
We gotta keep beating it! Voxels will be great for harvesting, treasure hunting, etc.. There is a place for this tech for sure but the whole world destruction thing isn't very exciting for me. Maybe within combat it will be. SoE Indie Studios!

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I'm still not convinced it's going to make that big a difference beyond being able to go down to find mobs.
I think its going to add a lot to the immersion. Also there will be some stratgic differences as in battlefield 3. when you destroy the suroundings, there is less and les places to hide in.