EQ Never

gogojira_sl

shitlord
Maybe. But smokejumper's other tweet alluded to something else. I honestly don't care, I'm just glad permadeath isn't actually a thing.

Rhuobhe

N00b
EQ was fucking BRUTAL at lvl1 (see erudite paladin) or humiliating (getting raped by a wasp as a wood elf) or sadistic (getting camped by Dvinn at crushbone entrance).
No spoilers, no < ! >, nothing at all, roaming Sand Giants/Spectres, Skeletons after dark, dangerous travel... SWIM OR DROWN.

This is not viable on the long run, you can not kick new players in the balls at lvl1 and expect them to "try again" or "keep coming" while there are so many games out there.
I'm all for "Get better, Get organized, Get Friends or suffer like a bitch" (Death Penalty, CR, Naked at Bind, XP Loss, etc etc) but having the "correct balance" is fucking hard.
Something like "1 get out of jail free via 100% rez+corpse summon ever 16 hours, stacks up to 2" is a good start.

I want a game that punishes its players for failure, but doesn't ruin my evening making me lose 4 hours of play because someone pulled a Leeroy Jenkins.
The most humiliating death I had was getting killed by a fish on a level 1 Erudite Paladin (helping a friend get their Barnacle Breastplate).

Teoo_sl

shitlord
One of my friends convinced me to buy the game late Kunark. Loaded into Rivervale, where he was waiting for me invis (he was an Ogre and KoS there). He gave me a full set of twink gear and plat. Not long after that trade, I fell into the water where some KoS fish killed me. B/c I was lvl 1, my corpse did not last long, and the twink gear and plat was lost.

Welcome to EQ.

Azziane_sl

shitlord
One of my friends convinced me to buy the game late Kunark. Loaded into Rivervale, where he was waiting for me invis (he was an Ogre and KoS there). He gave me a full set of twink gear and plat. Not long after that trade, I fell into the water where some KoS fish killed me. B/c I was lvl 1, my corpse did not last long, and the twink gear and plat was lost.

Welcome to EQ.
Had you retained the twinkage it would have ruined your newbie's experience. Many reasons to thank that fish.

Xeldar

Silver Squire
EQ next should be like real life. You graduate from Adventurer's college, laden with plat debt, and there are more people LFG than spots available. Furthermore, 90% of the people LFG are better geared/higher level than you. Bootstrap bitches.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
You mean 90% of the people LFG have dibs because of non-merit based shit like race, gender, and sexuality?

gogojira_sl

shitlord

Welcome to EQ.
I bought it around the launch of Kunark. I was a dirty ass beggar, too. I would ask any random people for money. This one dude was a dick to me (a dwarf at the time) and when I bumped back into him about an hour later in BB he felt bad and gave me some bronze armor and a few platinum. I felt like I was balling. I deleted that character and had all my shit transferred to a high elf. Back then you could drop money so I stashed it on top of a roof in Felwithe and was terrified that someone would steal it.

Also, I fell out of the boat from BB in the middle of the ocean and swam for like 3 hours before finding a pile of rocks with an NPC troll that hated me. Welcome to EQ.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
I bought it around the launch of Kunark. I was a dirty ass beggar, too. I would ask any random people for money. This one dude was a dick to me (a dwarf at the time) and when I bumped back into him about an hour later in BB he felt bad and gave me some bronze armor and a few platinum. I felt like I was balling. I deleted that character and had all my shit transferred to a high elf. Back then you could drop money so I stashed it on top of a roof in Felwithe and was terrified that someone would steal it.

Also, I fell out of the boat from BB in the middle of the ocean and swam for like 3 hours before finding a pile of rocks with an NPC troll that hated me. Welcome to EQ.
You can't imagine how many times people got lost in OoT. I would imagine like 1.5% of the playerbase quit based on being lost in that zone alone.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
You mean 90% of the people LFG have dibs because of non-merit based shit like race, gender, and sexuality?
You are just like the morons who all rolled rogue in wow and then cried when there were too many of you for the group slots available. Next time think before you roll up another white human male.

Drakurii

Golden Baron of the Realm
You can't imagine how many times people got lost in OoT.
Zoning and the boat being gone and floating in the water doesn't count as being "lost". Last I played they still hadn't fixed that shit, they just said fuck it and put in those npc's that would port you to Freeport.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Zoning and the boat being gone and floating in the water doesn't count as being "lost". Last I played they still hadn't fixed that shit, they just said fuck it and put in those npc's that would port you to Freeport.
Oddly enough, I don't think that ever happened to me. I don't remember the boats ever not working. I do remember the first time I saw the fucking island of cyclops and nearly shat myself when my pet died in like 3 hits.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
You are just like the morons who all rolled rogue in wow and then cried when there were too many of you for the group slots available. Next time think before you roll up another white human male.
Close, but he was making an analogy to real life. You're flipping it back to WoW, where people actually value merit/performance. I'm perfectly happy being better than everyone in WoW, it means I get what I want.

Noahx

N00b

How sad is it that I could read pages of stories like this and find tons of joy...

B_Mizzle

Golden Baronet of the Realm
And the liberal circle jerk has made it to the eqnext thread. Protip, don't flaunt your sexuality if your gay, in general most heterosexual males won't like you.

kudos

<Banned>
And the liberal circle jerk has made it to the eqnext thread. Protip, don't flaunt your sexuality if your gay, in general most heterosexual males won't like you.
...and honestly who can blame them? Why should I take a man who acts like a fucking girl seriously? Act manly and be gay and nobody will give a fuck what you are.

Ok back on topic. It's fucking horrible hearing that they had to basically start completely over. What the fuck is going on at SoE?