EQ Never

slicedmass_sl

shitlord
Would be really cool if they had 3-4 month long rally calls and had like 2-3 happening at a time and obviously 1 would finish before the others to potentially change whats available at what time on what server. Then you would see posts online talking about the cool features of whatever one of the rally calls brought to the game and see other servers change course to finish that particular rally call to see the cool features themselves.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
I hope they only have one RC at once, simply for the player concentration effect. Having the whole server in one place would be awesome.

I'm sure there'll be as many Rallying Calls at the same time as they can make produce them.

So knowing SOE probably somewhere between one and one at the very beginning of the game, and then more at the same time as they get to reuse already produced templates.

The genius with this system is that it will allow them to dribble content just like EQ1 but without the accompanying shit storms as they tweak the overall difficulties of objectives over a much bigger scale than in any MMO before except for maybe Anh'Qiraj in WOW, which makes it very difficult to detect that players are being just effectively cockblocked.

Concrete example: The Halas opening event HAS TO LAST A MONTH. No matter what. The "Karana Wars" leading to the wiping of most griffons and giants and the creation of the guard towers making the Karanas safe just isn't ready. So they tweak the armies opposing the players making them bigger and regenerate faster than initially planned; they have them charge at night when less players are available to deal with the attacks so the construction is set back, etc. Very difficult to detect.

Shit we might actually come to love it as somewhat difficult & involved server objectives might have the same overall Social effect on entire servers had they had on single guilds back in EQ1, focusing people towards a clear objective.

Caliel

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I was just reading bird entrails, take it as you want, I know nothing. Anyway all sounds plausible to me and handy for SOE to not have to build a lot of stuff before shipping.

But they have to fix the shitstorm over combat ASAP. We're all getting bored of the hype and lack of concrete info about some important stuff.

Memo to Sony Marketing: Dribble out classes/races. Release other info.
They can't release info on stuff they haven't even decided yet. I doubt they even know how to implement half of the stuff they have decided on.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
They can't release info on stuff they haven't even decided yet. I doubt they even know how to implement half of the stuff they have decided on.
The spent a year and a half on design, they've decided 98% of the game except for things like "do female dwarves have beard" i.e. stuff that Butler and McPherson don't give two shits about.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
One thing I really like about Rallying Calls is the potential for the release of new servers as the game ages. Be able to participate in old ones on a new server and possibly get different outcomes. This would really be nice, especially for those that end up taking a year or so break sometimes.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
One thing I really like about Rallying Calls is the potential for the release of new servers as the game ages. Be able to participate in old ones on a new server and possibly get different outcomes. This would really be nice, especially for those that end up taking a year or so break sometimes.
They got all super duper top secret hush-hush on what to do if you had missed an RC on your server but it was still going on on another server. Expect either (a) some bizarre cross-server options of some kind or (b) progression servers like you describe.

I hope they only have one RC at once, simply for the player concentration effect. Having the whole server in one place would be awesome.
Once the game gets into its groove, it would make sense to have 1 major Rallying Call and a few other more minor, short lived one.

EX:

-Rallying Call(major): Troll Freeedum! Liberate the ruins of Grobb.
-Rallying Call(minor): Secure the river between South and North Karana for the Bridge construction crew.
-Rallying Call(minor): A mysterious, broken portal has been found hidden deep in the Feerrot. An unknown source keeps the area infested with Specters and other undeads; protect the Combine Wizards while they work on painstakingly reconstructing the portal.

italica

Trakanon Raider
Opening of Ahn'Qiraj anyone? Cool theory... poor practice to have thousands of people in one place generally.

Jais

Trakanon Raider
I hope Ralling Calls don't turn into some sort of delay tactic so we can feel like we're playing and building our world while they just wrap up on stuff they might should have launched with. "Uhh Boss, the players have been chopping wood for 3 weeks now..." "We're not ready, give em 20 feet of wall, should buy us another month." Me being pessimistic again.

If it works out like we all hope, it's gonna be badass for sure though. I'm a goal/direction/objective oriented player so settling and civilizing the wilds of Antonica from one end to the other sound pretty fucking sweet.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
Domino ?@pentapod 23s

@FlexMMO no comment on which game team was overheard.
wink.png
But there are always new potential features being considered all over. Normal!

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
I hope Ralling Calls don't turn into some sort of delay tactic so we can feel like we're playing and building our world while they just wrap up on stuff they might should have launched with. "Uhh Boss, the players have been chopping wood for 3 weeks now..." "We're not ready, give em 20 feet of wall, should buy us another month." Me being pessimistic again.

If it works out like we all hope, it's gonna be badass for sure though. I'm a goal/direction/objective oriented player so settling and civilizing the wilds of Antonica from one end to the other sound pretty fucking sweet.
As long as they dont pull a warhammer and tell everyone the system has hidden unlocks when in reality it is just unlocked manually by soe when they are ready. I remember how infuriated i was with warhammer when we figured out that the contribution system was just random and they were lying about it actually being a system.

I honestly dont care if they have a constant stream of RCs, from the interviews it sounded like they planned that sometimes there would be no RC running, which is fine by me since it is not supposed to be the only thing to do in the game.

Even if they do what you say its fine by me, players finish in 3 weeks, RC then says come back in two weeks and the NPCs will be done building. As long as they dont lie about it. I would much rather that than them never tell you how much wood exactly you need to gather and keep moving the bar internally to buy themselves time all while saying that you just haven't hit the mark yet, working as intended!~

The spent a year and a half on design, they've decided 98% of the game except for things like "do female dwarves have beard" i.e. stuff that Butler and McPherson don't give two shits about.
This is where they lose me. Did they say precisely how long Storybricks and Voxel Farm have been involved in the project? I doubt both have been in for more than 6-8 months and that has to have a massive impact on design.

Voxel Farm's first license was in October of last year and it was not EQN:http://procworld.blogspot.fr/2013/06/tug-too.html

Storybricks is harder to tell, but the very first hint they gave was when they tweeted how excited they were by the PS4 in February:https://twitter.com/Storybricks/stat...98794043297793
In late 2012 they were still doing very indepth interviews trying to gain visibility:http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/12...ng-npcs-to-li/but after thatnothingso you can presume they were snatched up at the beginning of the year. That article where you can see updated shots of their internally developped MMO they were trying to kickstart is possibly what got them face time with Butler and Georgeson.

Of course it's possible they already had a clear idea of what classes and combat would look like, and then when they saw those additional opportunities they jumped on them.