EQ Next: #1 Next gen MMO

Dalven

Saor Alba
<Donor>
Domino and Seed been pretty active and quite bold in they tweets and replies tonight. Here is just one that I thought was slightly amusing...

View attachment 122206

Actually snorted when I read that tweet. If it had any chance of success Daybreak wouldn't have canned a game 3+ years in development when they took over. Fucking delusional.

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider
Admittedly, I never cared for the gameplay direction they were going for with EQN, but I thought the world Rosie and artists were creating was amazing. I really think the destructible world aspect could have been dropped and most people wouldn't have cared. There would be some grumbling from some people, but a good game has to come before crazy tech IMO. I would still love to see an EQ3 someday, but I just don't see it happening now, and certainly not how I would make it.. Probably because my ideas wouldn't appeal to the casual gamer all that much, so I'd be limited to a niche group of gamers at best. C'est la vie.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mughal

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Admittedly, I never cared for the gameplay direction they were going for with EQN, but I thought the world Rosie and artists were creating was amazing. I really think the destructible world aspect could have been dropped and most people wouldn't have cared. There would be some grumbling from some people, but a good game has to come before crazy tech IMO. I would still love to see an EQ3 someday, but I just don't see it happening now, and certainly not how I would make it.. Probably because my ideas wouldn't appeal to the casual gamer all that much, so I'd be limited to a niche group of gamers at best. C'est la vie.

After three years there was no agreement on gameplay and core features. Apart from that I agree the art was amazing. Especially the art of the buildings that was done without knowing how to actually build it with voxels, or if the voxels could have been implemented at all in buildings.

zero_name

Golden Knight of the Realm
They could have made EQN great if they would have blown it up for the 15th time, been given more money in their exhausted budget, hired an all new management team, took Landmark out back and took a shit on it, etc. etc. They were so unfairly cut off!

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I can appreciate the ambition of wanting to incorporate new technologies into your game, but by all appearances they never considered the feasibility or compatibility of the various systems.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Dalven

Saor Alba
<Donor>
I can appreciate the ambition of wanting to incorporate new technologies into your game, but by all appearances they never considered the feasibility or compatibility of the various systems.

Aye its absolutely ridiculous how much that is the case. At the launch event it's now obvious they looked at whatever emerging technologies there were, decided they were going to put all of them in the game, make some art assets and announce it to the world.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
I wonder WTF daybreak is doing? I mean, did they just buy those shit sandwiches to sit on them and milk them dry?

You are correct. These games are much worse with DBG over them, and starving them. I played DCUO since launch, but they cut the budget to that also. Now content comes at a snail's pace, and when it does come out, it's too easy to clear fast.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
This is an unpopular opinion, but while Domino was a super nice person with good intentions, her vision and ability to persuade people to it did massive harm to EQ2. It was definitely a large part of the cause in decline of that game. She had a huge part in all the insanely repetitive shit that ended up filtering it's way to every aspect of the game.

• 1Solidarity

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
This is an unpopular opinion, but while Domino was a super nice person with good intentions, her vision and ability to persuade people to it did massive harm to EQ2. It was definitely a large part of the cause in decline of that game. She had a huge part in all the insanely repetitive shit that ended up filtering it's way to every aspect of the game.

Not unpopular in my opinion but spot on. She did well relating to the tradeskillers and some of the stay-at-home's that tinkered in the houses. Don't get me wrong, I think housing was a fantastic feature and no one has done it better but they really took a lot of areas of EQ that were just the icing on the cake and completely neglected the cake.

I'm not sure if EQ2 was a leadership thing or just the wrong talents working but they really missed an opportunity to ride the moment and make an excellent game in the long run but they got half way through the race and then fell flat on their face.

• 1Like

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Definitely leadership and oversight. There wasn't any after Scott left.

Also Gninja should have never got his job back after the layoff. That guys an idiot

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider
Aye its absolutely ridiculous how much that is the case. At the launch event it's now obvious they looked at whatever emerging technologies there were, decided they were going to put all of them in the game, make some art assets and announce it to the world.

Actually, it's more accurate to say the Creative Director saw how big Minecraft was blowing up.. They took the ENTIRE GODDAMN DESIGN TEAM to MineCon in Vegas, and came back with the "idea" to make a Minecraft style destructible world in an MMO.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Actually, it's more accurate to say the Creative Director saw how big Minecraft was blowing up.. They took the ENTIRE GODDAMN DESIGN TEAM to MineCon in Vegas, and came back with the "idea" to make a Minecraft style destructible world in an MMO.

Which is a horrible idea in any "persistent" type game. I mean, could you imagine 2K people building and destroying shit in an mmo and think how this world would look after a week, let alone a few years?

So you then have to reset everything after a certain time, which makes everything about minecraft mmo, totally worthless.

• 1Solidarity

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah, it is pretty moronic. There would have been a week or two where it felt pretty epic, then the novelty would have worn off and you would have come to realize your gaming experience was at the mercy of lil Timmy and his pick axe. There would have been entire guilds devoted to nothing but world destruction and it would have been the biggest troll-fest in the history of gaming.

• 1Solidarity

Reht

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, it is pretty moronic. There would have been a week or two where it felt pretty epic, then the novelty would have worn off and you would have come to realize your gaming experience was at the mercy of lil Timmy and his pick axe. There would have been entire guilds devoted to nothing but world destruction and it would have been the biggest troll-fest in the history of gaming.
No! It would have been awesome because ponytail said so!

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
Its on the level of designing an MMO pvp game in 2017 without *realizing* that players will often grief eachother any and every chance they possibly get. The curious thing is how this was not bleeding obvious to everyone (esp higher up people) involved from the beginning, seeing as, you know, they had been running EQ from 1999? Must have been a fair few of faces burried in palms in the lower ranks heh.

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider
Initially the idea sounded pretty cool.. but beyond that initial 30 minute tech demo.. the questions started pouring in from other designers in the company, and that's basically when the team went dark internally. There was a solid year+ when nobody outside of that team heard anything at all about the game.