EQ TLP - Oakwynd (Evolving Ruleset Progression Server)

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Crazy. I love being the puller. 1000x beats sitting in camp waiting for mobs. So much more interaction and playing. Maybe its just that feeling after so many years as a wizard in live, where all I did was sit in camp, stand, nuke, sit.
Being puller is great for the first hour of a camp. Then after it's nice being in the camp so you can catch up on Netflix and just spam the same abilities over and over.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Being puller is great for the first hour of a camp. Then after it's nice being in the camp so you can catch up on Netflix and just spam the same abilities over and over.

i get the ones that want more relaxed. You have time to chat with guild/group, friends. Watch other screen, etc. Just too boring for me after doing it for so long. its even more exciting if I have to pull and be the CC :p

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Don't play a melee during release if you don't want to pull because it will fall to you because everyone else will be medding. Did a warrior as first character last time, was pulling more than I was tanking. Not like you can hold aggro anyway while casters blow everything up in 2 casts.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

I feel the same way. Back in the 2000's I was a monk and was constantly active, couldn't imagine the boredom of sitting in camp. Spent so much time monking that I was probably one of the fastest pullers on the server in addition to being in the top 3 monks on the server on stats (we traded positions within those 3). Never a dull moment to say the least.

Now I'm old and slow and prefer to stay in camp, though there are times when I want to pull again. One of the reasons I like SK the most is that I can take charge and pull when needed/wanted/to speed things up, but am not --expected to- the way a monk or bard would since my primary role is to tank. Gives me a bit of leeway to be, well, old and slow.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Depends how far back you go. Off the cuff you have basic shit like target of target, seeing debuffs on the target. You then also have 'new' things like xtar and aggro meters on by default. Mounts, poisons, potions out of era. All the 'new' PoR shithole zones like ugly freeport. The krono economy, pick zones, no corpse runs, soulbinders in town, origin AA, banestrike, etc.
fuck i have no idea wtf any of that means.

I literally only played original, kunark, and Velious, then briefly in POP. I skipped luclin because cats on the fucking moon was the gayest most immersion breaking lore pivot in the history of gaming.

Is this game playable with 1 character or is multiboxing required? Boxing has no appeal to me. tbh I really don't have much nostalgia for EQ1 gameplay at all but it would be nice to see some old original content if its still around.

Is old content still in or is it all new/different? what about original items are they around? Like Guise of the Deceiver (was changed to mask and made rogue/bard only). how about rubicite? or shit like mana stones or pegi cloaks? or is everything just watered down +gooder stats retail shit?

honestly i'm just bored leveling my 6th 80 in WOTLK classic waiting for the next phase to come out.

Jasper

Bronze Knight of the Realm
fuck i have no idea wtf any of that means.

I literally only played original, kunark, and Velious, then briefly in POP. I skipped luclin because cats on the fucking moon was the gayest most immersion breaking lore pivot in the history of gaming.

Is this game playable with 1 character or is multiboxing required? Boxing has no appeal to me. tbh I really don't have much nostalgia for EQ1 gameplay at all but it would be nice to see some old original content if its still around.

Is old content still in or is it all new/different? what about original items are they around? Like Guise of the Deceiver (was changed to mask and made rogue/bard only). how about rubicite? or shit like mana stones or pegi cloaks? or is everything just watered down +gooder stats retail shit?

honestly i'm just bored leveling my 6th 80 in WOTLK classic waiting for the next phase to come out.

I came back 2 years ago ( since quitting in 2003 ) for Mischief. A lot has changed. Takes some time to get used to. Mainly interface, commands, quality of life stuff. Positive changes really, but it's a lot to learn. The advanced loot window, still confuses me sometimes... lol. Plenty of old school feels though. Most of the dungeons still felt the same to me. Most of the zones really. I caught the EQ bug again for sure. You don't need to box at all. I just played one toon on Mischief and Yelinak. Lots of people still go that route. You might want to pick a sought after xp group class though. It took me a couple expansions on Mischief before I started to get the feel for all the changes, but I felt pretty comfortable on Yelinak's launch.

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
This is a shit server to start a melee on unless you are the only one, in a static, and its not a warrior or rogue even still. Make a mage, level your mage, farm shit on your mage, and then when you really want to suffer just transfer the gear and level the melee with a 10% bonus.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
This is a shit server to start a melee on unless you are the only one, in a static, and its not a warrior or rogue even still. Make a mage, level your mage, farm shit on your mage, and then when you really want to suffer just transfer the gear and level the melee with a 10% bonus.

Yep. Mage, Enchanter, and Druid are all solid mains to farm shit with early-on before transferring things to your actual main later.

Especially if you want to main a Beastlord or Zerker, since they straight-up aren't available. But in general it's advantageous to plow your farming with the above and then maybe main change a month in or something.

Cupcaek

Molten Core Raider
If you want a solid reputable long term guild I think Roosters is the best bet. If you want to race for firsts and do OW then the guild FTE led by Phatez is the place to go. It was a small guild of like p99 types but he absorbed (merged) with Legacy for a bunch of warm bodies. Phatez is the dude who ran Seal Team on Green and was also the first max level world wide in WoW Classic.

@Pharone I usually do newbie zone, Lavastorm, SolA, SolB, oot since the zem changes.
Phatez is not jokerd lol

Jasker

brown please <Wow Guild Officer> /brown please
Will anyone with just one character prosper on this server? with heirloom in place, arent camps and intentions going to be increased with the hand-me-down heirloom factor?

also, anyone recall the character amount at start? is it 1 char or 3?

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Will anyone with just one character prosper on this server? with heirloom in place, arent camps and intentions going to be increased with the hand-me-down heirloom factor?

Single character players did fine on mischief so I'm sure it'll be fine.

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

It's 1 character per computer until OoW, so multiboxing is fine if you use a separate PC for each.

I suspect many will be multiboxing as usual because a second character just adds so much capability. You can certainly go far with just a single character depending on what your goals are. If you just want to group and raid Classic-PoP you will be fine, the further past that you get the harder groups become to find and the more a second/third account becomes the difference between getting stuff done and logging off.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
I’m thinking of going in on a bard, I know it will be hell but I’ve played a bard to 70 with 110 AA on mangler but started in POP so I never did classic bard. Also never raided bard.

How viable is charm kiting on TLP in classic? What is old world raiding like for a bard beyond twisting resists and mana? I feel like I don’t remember them being on pull teams ever. Just curious the role. I’m super newb on raiding in general. I have probably 20 max level characters over the years just never got sweaty, just liked the thrill of the hunt. Figure now is the time to try it for something to do after the kids go to bed now that I’m California sober lol

Elderan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Oakwynd hype seems to be building up decent, more than I saw for Yelinak atleast and it turned out ok. I still stick to my thought that oakwynd will be more popular than Yelinak but less than Mischief.

This assumes that FTE is not a complete disaster.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Juvarisx

Florida
I’m thinking of going in on a bard, I know it will be hell but I’ve played a bard to 70 with 110 AA on mangler but started in POP so I never did classic bard. Also never raided bard.

How viable is charm kiting on TLP in classic? What is old world raiding like for a bard beyond twisting resists and mana? I feel like I don’t remember them being on pull teams ever. Just curious the role. I’m super newb on raiding in general. I have probably 20 max level characters over the years just never got sweaty, just liked the thrill of the hunt. Figure now is the time to try it for something to do after the kids go to bed now that I’m California sober lol

Every group is better for having a bard. You are not expected to pull until Planes for groups but the good ones still can however its more of a practice and location thing. Plus every group will have a couple monks, one of them should be pulling in dungeons. Noone will really care if you have to go afk for a reasonable time as you are always contributing.

Charm kiting works but I never liked soling in EQ, but I've seen it done, its okay but soloing in EQ is OKAY at best really anyways.

Raiding on a bard is probably the most boring shit I have ever done however, so really if you can box one even if its set as your main I recommend it for raids.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Jasker

brown please <Wow Guild Officer> /brown please
Anyone know if current rules on these servers have bard songs only reaching a max of 8 targets for AEPB etc? What's the AE Max targets?

Going bard as well.