EQ TLP - Oakwynd (Evolving Ruleset Progression Server)

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Why are you so butthurt? Jesus, dude.

You're all angry and you can't even do the most basic step of checking your game settings like any other game ever made.

P99 is much more accurate to the original game than a TLP. That's the world you want.

Though, based on your inability to think maybe 640x480 isn't the only possible resolution (which wasn't even true back in the day), I'm not sure you can figure out how to connect to P99.
Ill freely admit i gave this game more credit than i should have and made some basic assumptions which turned out to be wrong. But LOL at this comment right here look at this retarded faggot.

What fucking game made this century doesnt have in game settings, in game? A basic menu with video settings like resolution and shit? This shit is hidden in the patcher not even in game, so no i didnt find it because it is unlike every other game ever made.

Then i realize, oh yeah this game wasnt made this century, so technical its fine.

• 1Imbecile
Reactions: 1 user

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Uh iirc they are in game? The luclin models is the one you change outside it(for very obvious reasons). Otherwise resolution and such is all in the options.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Ill freely admit i gave this game more credit than i should have and made some basic assumptions which turned out to be wrong. But LOL at this comment right here look at this retarded faggot.

What fucking game made this century doesnt have in game settings, in game? A basic menu with video settings like resolution and shit? This shit is hidden in the patcher not even in game, so no i didnt find it because it is unlike every other game ever made.

Then i realize, oh yeah this game wasnt made this century, so technical its fine.

You can change resolution under video settings while in game.

You're just retarded

• 2Like

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Calling people retarded faggot(obvious defense mechanism), but cant figure out how to open options in a 20+ year old game :p

Talk about try hard edgelord.

• 2Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Ill freely admit i gave this game more credit than i should have and made some basic assumptions which turned out to be wrong.
What fucking game made this century doesnt have in game settings, in game? A basic menu with video settings like resolution and shit?
How frequently in your personal life are you forced to realize you made a mistake, only to make the same mistake soon after?

• 1Worf

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
Playing the best classes isn't always a good idea either. While most people can get a spot on the roster, you might find yourself doing jack shit with the other 20+ people that chose to play a tank or monk. Most healers are pretty safe, monks at least do damage that is always productive but if you have dreams of being a main tank or puller for a guild you might be disappointed. Being one of 20 monks is also a pretty shit experience as far as getting any loot that is lusted for.

Keep in mind if you really want to play a rogue, it's infinitely easier to level one in classic to max, rather than waiting until kunark or velious to do the 1-60 grind with hardly anyone to group with.

Nobody wants to xp after hitting 60, it's a long hard grind that once you're done, especially with the new benefits to not lose a level on death, you're 100% done with that shit and any calls for a group in guild chat will be tumbleweeds.

Play what you want, don't be a constantly afk douche and enjoy the ride.
You could always level as many clerics as possible on one account and then create a rogue on the same account to have 100% bonus exp :p That would make it way easier seeing as a cleric can get a group with their eyes shut, hands tied behind their back, and telling everyone to go fuck themselves at the same time.

Jasker

brown please <Wow Guild Officer> /brown please
Calling people retarded faggot(obvious defense mechanism), but cant figure out how to open options in a 20+ year old game :p

Talk about try hard edgelord.

How frequently in your personal life are you forced to realize you made a mistake, only to make the same mistake soon after?

It's funny because I know a bunch of you guys know him personally from our WoW classic guild. He is either reserves or active infantry. Also, he might have some challenges or difficulties that you guys don't have to face in this life that he does, I used to hear him speak in discord and I understand this about him.

Put him on ignore for a few days if you need to.

Else, honestly, let this guy talk any shit he needs to.

We've all been in that space. It sucks to hear it, sure. Yep, it's a downer - no kidding. He's got to work himself out of that mindset, yes indeed he does.

Know what isn't cool? Hating on a guy that's being hateful after the agony this guy has faced.

It's like telling a war veteran not to have bias against his enemies race or species that they have fought when they're sitting around a fire with friends or peers. Of course no one wants to hear racist bullshit, but we can emphasize, we can understand, we're grown up enough to let it pass or be mature enough to take mature approaches and stances.

I suggest if you've seen strife not many men have faced, you're allowed a certain amount of cringe, bitch-fit, shit-talking. Let Sylas Sylas emo. Man, it's a lot better he's doing it here then elsewhere. He's been officially registered with us for 6 years, probably a lurker longer...Why the heck dont we have a stronger sense of community here and 'help-others' help our brothers-ness? Says a few shittalking comments about everquest and several of you are making him eat shit for it. Let it pass, damn.

I'm here to advocate for this fellow and tell you folks he is worthy of us hearing him bitch about shit.

Give him a pass.

And i'm not saying we don't all deserve passes from time to time. Or that you have something to bitch about but refrain. He's not there yet, he's one of our guys. Hopefully he works on it and can get in a better headspace.

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Rogues in classic are a pity spot only, an unhasted rogue with some fine steel daggers will get significantly outdamaged by a mage pet by itself. I'd level something useful first so you can hand your rogue twink a haste item and a slightly less shit weapon once Kunark comes around, at least then you won't feel like you're being carried for 50 levels. You'll have plenty of time to level your rogue before they become useful.

Needless

Toe Sucker
they're definitely booty at first but once people start farming those spectres in the aquaducts and those daggers start hitting e tuns, rogues are fine. Which is like day 2 lol

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
I'm here to advocate for this fellow and tell you folks he is worthy of us hearing him bitch about shit.

Give him a pass.

The man played through the FFXIV msq and bitched about it in that thread the entire time. Adversity has made him persistent.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Play what you want, don't be a constantly afk douche and enjoy the ride.
Suggesting people to play a Rogue in classic is one of the most evil things you can suggest someone do. Rogues are basically more worthless than an afk player.
Shaman is a great suggestion if you really dislike someone.

Definitely just play some OP shit like Enchanter/Cleric in group content. With the alts system, you can just play a higher dps (ie; monk, wizard, magician, necro, etc) in raids.

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Give him a pass.
I don't know you or Sylas but if someone infantilized me this much I'd be infuriated and massively insulted. He's more than welcome to shitpost and be treated like an adult for doing so.

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Rogues in classic are a pity spot only, an unhasted rogue with some fine steel daggers will get significantly outdamaged by a mage pet by itself. I'd level something useful first so you can hand your rogue twink a haste item and a slightly less shit weapon once Kunark comes around, at least then you won't feel like you're being carried for 50 levels. You'll have plenty of time to level your rogue before they become useful.
A compounding effect is that a rando rogue you give a pity invite to in original EQ is probably too obtuse or ignorant to play a better class, so they aren't the diamond in the rough that makes up for class imbalance with force of will, but a subpar player who chose a subpar class.

YttriumF

The Karenist Karen
<Silver Donator>
So anyway, i was able to get my 2 neighbors to play test before launch and they wanted to roll melee, first timers etc Let them get to lvl 5 and rerolled mages just to show it’s not as balanced as most games and one guy was laughing maniacally at the ability to point / kill with the pet.

They both want to give it a shot, but with d4 launching I doubt it’ll hook em

Funny stuff was hearing them complain about the combat music and one dude going 0/3 on a fire bolt bc geometry and him realizing it too late / getting rocked

If they (or anyone else) roll WAR PAL RNG SHD MNK BRD ROG BST BER ... be sure they buy their melee augments at the npc vendor.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I thought I'd go ahead and pool together some general TLP advice as it looks like we've got some people that either haven't played on one of these or haven't in a long while.

Something to keep in mind with Oakwynd is that while the boards aren't screaming white hot for it we're only getting a single server this year. It's common for these launches to not go all that great and it taking a couple of hours for a premade to get everyone in and on the same page. Even if you're just by yourself there are some things you can do ahead of time to smooth things out-

1. Set up your UI ahead of time and then import it at launch. If you like having things a certain way get that knocked out ahead of time so you aren't messing around with it when there's stuff to kill. That's doubly true if you had to battle the queue first.
2. We've had the shops and payment processors go down on launches before so if you're going to buy a 40 slot bag do it now. You can /claim it any time. The basic bag is 40 slots, 100% weight reduction and comes with three 25% exp potions. They are flagged as heirloom so they're transferable between your characters on that server. I'm a miserly curmudgeon who hates spending money and the quality of life upgrade they provide is worth it. There's a bigger package as well with more shit - Packs | EverQuest
3. DBC or Daybreak Cash. Each month you have an active account you can claim in game either 500 DBC or three 25% exp potions (store price 300 each). Typically there is a third option like a heritage crate that has a small chance of something really cool like a mount but probably not. You access the store by pressing the orange DB button on your screen

1684783024486.png

1684782992701.png

and then hitting the green "Claim" button. Once you open this window you have to make a selection so if you just activated an account for Oakwynd and you want the exp potions wait until you've on Oakwynd. You can use DBC to buy a bunch of different things including 4 hour potions that persist through death with a host different buffs including mana regen, health regen, movement speed, levitate and enduring breath. The regen pots scale with level. Much like with the bag if you know you're going to be burning through a bunch of DBC at launch buy it ahead of time.

The other way for you to give Daybreak extra money is with perks.

1684783068302.png

Again, I hate spending money you kids get off my lawn but being unable to delevel no matter how many times you die or how embarrassing those deaths are is worth 2.99 a month. Raid over? Run in to the jaws of death for a free trip to bind. Origin on cooldown? Nothing that drowning yourself in two inches of water won't fix. It also opens up bind rushing options for some content if you're stubborn enough.

The last thing I want to say about spending money is you can buy a race change for 2500 DBC. This also changes your bind point. If you're really picky about where you level or one of the high speed types you can start in one area and then race swap to save yourself a run to the next premier location.

In regards to playing the game itself I've got a list of tips to help you save some time. Some of these are small but I think the first six or seven levels of EQ are the worst part of the game. I'm always interested in getting through them quicker

1. Don't solo. Even if you're level one group up. The bonuses got boosted a few years back and really big now -

expssssss.png

2. There's no penalty at all for dying from levels one through five plus you respawn with full health and mana. Never, ever run from something in the newbie yard. Fight until you die, respawn, repeat.
3. None of the newbie tunics sell for money anymore. You can't cash in your robe and buy an extra spell.
4. Low level Magician, Necromancer and Enchanter pets do more damage with a rusty two-handed scythe, sword or halberd. A level two water pet or animation rocking a rusty halberd hits for twenty instead of twelve.
5. Everyone gets Origin at level five. It is an AA that returns you to your home city's class guild with an 18 minute cooldown. During leveling it is very convenient for someone to bind nearby, sell trash/buy spells and gate right back.
6. The melee classes and hybrids get an AA for free (first rank coming in at 40) that boosts their auto attack damage.
7. Each town has weapon augments you can buy that are usable by non-casters that provide procs. There are four types - direct damage, damage over time, self heal and self heal over time with multiple tiers of each. The straight DD has a tiny stun component and thus generates quite a lot of aggro. The dot will break mezzes so being lazy with targeting and auto attacking somewhere like Isle 5 of Sky is generally a bad time. Some Rogue or Ranger is for sure going to show up to an early raid with weapons they shouldn't wielding jammed with augments they shouldn't be using and explode a couple times for it.
8. The exp rewards for the repeatable quests we all did a bajillion times to skip levels (Crushbone belts, Kaladim bone chips, FP fire beetle eyes, Tumpy Tonic, etc) have all been giga nerfed. Leveling means killing mobs that award exp. The UI and chat both display precise exp numbers now so you can determine when you need to leave an area. You want to be killing the highest level things you can kill safely but there is an experience cap in place. It's fairly stiff early on and goes up as you level so killing +5 reds at level 2 with your Mage pet army may not be worth the extra hassle. Don't be the guy that demands the group is always killing mega reds and don't be the guy that doesn't want to leave when things turn blue. You can generally squeak by killing -1s but anything lower than that is going to be really bad.

Legacy Characters Ruleset

1684783133962.png

Items with the Hierloom tag can be parceled back and forth to your other characters or transferred by placing them in shared bank slots. The only items that will be no-drop but also not be Hierloom are Epics and I think some of the related quest items. Basically if an item is still no-drop on a free trade server like Mischief or FV it won't have the Hierloom tag on Oakwynd. Aside from just moving your good shit between whatever character you're piloting at the moment this has important implications for quests and quest items. For example assume you are exping in Sol A and a Heart of Fire drops. That item is one of the components for the Staff of Temperate Flux. If you were planning on making a Wizard later or already have one you can loot that Heart and send it over or complete the whole quest on your main and put the staff itself in the shared bank. All the quest items in the game have that additional dimension. You're going to want to keep that in mind when you're out hunting. It's also going to mean that some people are going to be quietly pushing Need on things that are for alts when a primary is in the group. If you're in a pug with some shitters watch out for that.

Finally I'm going to do is post my image of all the instant clicks I could think of. Oakwynd has the first to engage rules. You are going to want to have a way to gain aggro instantly even if it is just a few charges for emergencies.

Classic Clickies Oakwynd v4.png

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I don't know you or Sylas but if someone infantilized me this much I'd be infuriated and massively insulted. He's more than welcome to shitpost and be treated like an adult for doing so.

But everyone else's life has been perfect and he's the only one to ever face any difficulties

• 1Like

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
this please holy fuck I don't know wtf you are on about jasker I talk shit about you all the time did you stop taking your schizo meds? You clearly are confusing me with someone else? Yes I was in the WoW Classic guild but I never talked to you in discord ever, I only saw you guys on weekends cus I was living in Japan and the time zones didn't match up.

digging around through this god awful bloated ass ui to try and find any settings is absolutely aids, so yeah i missed where to find it. Hell even now since you guys claimed it as a gotcha, knowing it was in here somewhere, digging through trying to make sense of this completely shit and counterintuitive UI, it still took me 5 minutes to find it.

this shit is garbage, they just keep piling new and new shit on top of this text based mud and its just cluttered shit.

You guys should try a fresh install to see what its like as a new or returning player. you load in to 70 fucking windows all stacked on top of each other, none of which make any sense nor do any of them follow any standard video game design principles from this century, its all clutter on top of clutter because the default settings is 640x480 with shit luclin models, and if you didn't know any better, you better believe you would immediately uninstall too.

edit: please can someone tell me how to put a spell on a hotbar? in 1999 you just dragged that shit over, simple, intuitive, easy. that's how every game ever made ever since has done it, following in these footsteps. Except now its' 2023 so it doesn't work any more?

sure, if you've been playing live or TLPs for years then this is probably so simple you overlook it, but this shit is completely confusing.
Also why the fuck doesn't the UI stay the same layout when you logoff. whats the point of customizable UI placement it it doesn't remember from session to session? and it's not like it reverts to some default. it just randomly places the windows all around the screen in random order.

I get it, it's been several owners/buyouts since this dev team has been run by a legitimate company. I mean I didn't really follow the story or anything but after they got sold by Sony they got owned by some pyramid scheme then some russian money laundering operation and now they are fan owned or something? some volunteer guides saved up their pensions and bought the rights? I mean this is clearly a labor of love at this point but fuck, get it together.

Last edited:

Needless

Toe Sucker
I thought I'd go ahead and pool together some general TLP advice as it looks like we've got some people that either haven't played on one of these or haven't in a long while.

Something to keep in mind with Oakwynd is that while the boards aren't screaming white hot for it we're only getting a single server this year. It's common for these launches to not go all that great and it taking a couple of hours for a premade to get everyone in and on the same page. Even if you're just by yourself there are some things you can do ahead of time to smooth things out-

1. Set up your UI ahead of time and then import it at launch. If you like having things a certain way get that knocked out ahead of time so you aren't messing around with it when there's stuff to kill. That's doubly true if you had to battle the queue first.
2. We've had the shops and payment processors go down on launches before so if you're going to buy a 40 slot bag do it now. You can /claim it any time. The basic bag is 40 slots, 100% weight reduction and comes with three 25% exp potions. They are flagged as heirloom so they're transferable between your characters on that server. I'm a miserly curmudgeon who hates spending money and the quality of life upgrade they provide is worth it. There's a bigger package as well with more shit - Packs | EverQuest
3. DBC or Daybreak Cash. Each month you have an active account you can claim in game either 500 DBC or three 25% exp potions (store price 300 each). Typically there is a third option like a heritage crate that has a small chance of something really cool like a mount but probably not. You access the store by pressing the orange DB button on your screen

View attachment 474714

View attachment 474713

and then hitting the green "Claim" button. Once you open this window you have to make a selection so if you just activated an account for Oakwynd and you want the exp potions wait until you've on Oakwynd. You can use DBC to buy a bunch of different things including 4 hour potions that persist through death with a host different buffs including mana regen, health regen, movement speed, levitate and enduring breath. The regen pots scale with level. Much like with the bag if you know you're going to be burning through a bunch of DBC at launch buy it ahead of time.

The other way for you to give Daybreak extra money is with perks.

View attachment 474715

Again, I hate spending money you kids get off my lawn but being unable to delevel no matter how many times you die or how embarrassing those deaths are is worth 2.99 a month. Raid over? Run in to the jaws of death for a free trip to bind. Origin on cooldown? Nothing that drowning yourself in two inches of water won't fix. It also opens up bind rushing options for some content if you're stubborn enough.

The last thing I want to say about spending money is you can buy a race change for 2500 DBC. This also changes your bind point. If you're really picky about where you level or one of the high speed types you can start in one area and then race swap to save yourself a run to the next premier location.

In regards to playing the game itself I've got a list of tips to help you save some time. Some of these are small but I think the first six or seven levels of EQ are the worst part of the game. I'm always interested in getting through them quicker

1. Don't solo. Even if you're level one group up. The bonuses got boosted a few years back and really big now -

View attachment 474716

2. There's no penalty at all for dying from levels one through five plus you respawn with full health and mana. Never, ever run from something in the newbie yard. Fight until you die, respawn, repeat.
3. None of the newbie tunics sell for money anymore. You can't cash in your robe and buy an extra spell.
4. Low level Magician, Necromancer and Enchanter pets do more damage with a rusty two-handed scythe, sword or halberd. A level two water pet or animation rocking a rusty halberd hits for twenty instead of twelve.
5. Everyone gets Origin at level five. It is an AA that returns you to your home city's class guild with an 18 minute cooldown. During leveling it is very convenient for someone to bind nearby, sell trash/buy spells and gate right back.
6. The melee classes and hybrids get an AA for free (first rank coming in at 40) that boosts their auto attack damage.
7. Each town has weapon augments you can buy that are usable by non-casters that provide procs. There are four types - direct damage, damage over time, self heal and self heal over time with multiple tiers of each. The straight DD has a tiny stun component and thus generates quite a lot of aggro. The dot will break mezzes so being lazy with targeting and auto attacking somewhere like Isle 5 of Sky is generally a bad time. Some Rogue or Ranger is for sure going to show up to an early raid with weapons they shouldn't wielding jammed with augments they shouldn't be using and explode a couple times for it.
8. The exp rewards for the repeatable quests we all did a bajillion times to skip levels (Crushbone belts, Kaladim bone chips, FP fire beetle eyes, Tumpy Tonic, etc) have all been giga nerfed. Leveling means killing mobs that award exp. The UI and chat both display precise exp numbers now so you can determine when you need to leave an area. You want to be killing the highest level things you can kill safely but there is an experience cap in place. It's fairly stiff early on and goes up as you level so killing +5 reds at level 2 with your Mage pet army may not be worth the extra hassle. Don't be the guy that demands the group is always killing mega reds and don't be the guy that doesn't want to leave when things turn blue. You can generally squeak by killing -1s but anything lower than that is going to be really bad.

Legacy Characters Ruleset

View attachment 474717

Items with the Hierloom tag can be parceled back and forth to your other characters or transferred by placing them in shared bank slots. The only items that will be no-drop but also not be Hierloom are Epics and I think some of the related quest items. Basically if an item is still no-drop on a free trade server like Mischief or FV it won't have the Hierloom tag on Oakwynd. Aside from just moving your good shit between whatever character you're piloting at the moment this has important implications for quests and quest items. For example assume you are exping in Sol A and a Heart of Fire drops. That item is one of the components for the Staff of Temperate Flux. If you were planning on making a Wizard later or already have one you can loot that Heart and send it over or complete the whole quest on your main and put the staff itself in the shared bank. All the quest items in the game have that additional dimension. You're going to want to keep that in mind when you're out hunting. It's also going to mean that some people are going to be quietly pushing Need on things that are for alts when a primary is in the group. If you're in a pug with some shitters watch out for that.

Finally I'm going to do is post my image of all the instant clicks I could think of. Oakwynd has the first to engage rules. You are going to want to have a way to gain aggro instantly even if it is just a few charges for emergencies.

View attachment 474721
old bundles are still there so if you dont have these ones you can buy them and get the new ones that will be tomorrow/weds iirc?