EQ TLP - Oakwynd (Evolving Ruleset Progression Server)

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
this please holy fuck I don't know wtf you are on about jasker I talk shit about you all the time did you stop taking your schizo meds? You clearly are confusing me with someone else? Yes I was in the WoW Classic guild but I never talked to you in discord ever, I only saw you guys on weekends cus I was living in Japan and the time zones didn't match up.

digging around through this god awful bloated ass ui to try and find any settings is absolutely aids, so yeah i missed where to find it. Hell even now since you guys claimed it as a gotcha, knowing it was in here somewhere, digging through trying to make sense of this completely shit and counterintuitive UI, it still took me 5 minutes to find it.

this shit is garbage, they just keep piling new and new shit on top of this text based mud and its just cluttered shit.

You guys should try a fresh install to see what its like as a new or returning player. you load in to 70 fucking windows all stacked on top of each other, none of which make any sense nor do any of them follow any standard video game design principles from this century, its all clutter on top of clutter because the default settings is 640x480 with shit luclin models, and if you didn't know any better, you better believe you would immediately uninstall too.

edit: please can someone tell me how to put a spell on a hotbar? in 1999 you just dragged that shit over, simple, intuitive, easy. that's how every game ever made ever since has done it, following in these footsteps. Except now its' 2023 so it doesn't work any more?

sure, if you've been playing live or TLPs for years then this is probably so simple you overlook it, but this shit is completely confusing.
Also why the fuck doesn't the UI stay the same layout when you logoff. whats the point of customizable UI placement it it doesn't remember from session to session? and it's not like it reverts to some default. it just randomly places the windows all around the screen in random order.

I get it, it's been several owners/buyouts since this dev team has been run by a legitimate company. I mean I didn't really follow the story or anything but after they got sold by Sony they got owned by some pyramid scheme then some russian money laundering operation and now they are fan owned or something? some volunteer guides saved up their pensions and bought the rights? I mean this is clearly a labor of love at this point but fuck, get it together.
Jasker is clearly projecting, given his schizophrenia and deeply emotional outbursts he has from time to time.

Right click on the spell slot. It should bring up a menu to choose a spell.

It's actually a really nice system because the spells are logically grouped into different categories. As you get deeper into levels and have more spells it's a lot better than trying to flip through the spellbook. You can also save combinations of spells as a spell set and quickly switch between them. Again, not all that useful at level 50, but it can be very useful later on, especially if you're a buffer.

That said, I think if you just left click on the gem in the spell book it will automatically scribe into your slot.

As for the UI windows getting misplaced, that didn't happen to me when I played. You might try playing full screen or windowless full screen. I guarantee most people don't have this problem but I do recall an issue with the game not starting you in the same screen border option and when it does the switch it screws up the windows.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
The man played through the FFXIV msq and bitched about it in that thread the entire time. Adversity has made him persistent.

Man he has more resolve than I do. I made it about 25% through the vanilla MSQ which I think equates to about 540 'AnimeHeadNods' from my character in cut scenes. I'll bow out to the superior gamer.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
edit: please can someone tell me how to put a spell on a hotbar? in 1999 you just dragged that shit over, simple, intuitive, easy. that's how every game ever made ever since has done it, following in these footsteps. Except now its' 2023 so it doesn't work any more?
It's easy.

First, you look up a guide on how to play your class, to find what abilities to use, then because that guide is 5+ years old you have to research what the latest spell names are and what the abilities currently are since they got renamed. Then you use a combination of a few EQ websites to find out the ID of the abilities Alt Activate List - EQ Resource - The Resource for your EverQuest needs AA Search Fanbyte EverQuest :: An EQ Community, Wiki, and Database Site and write a social macro like

/alt activate 8204
/alt activate 544

Be sure to spam it because EQ doesn't respect key presses very well. Once you create a handful of these macros and learn all the SPA (SPell Affect) stacking rules for all 16 classes, you're golden. Just be sure to set up a dozen GINA triggers so you know what is active, the multiple buff windows aren't great for telling you that info.

Oh, and if you're playing on TLP you need to run a linux virtual machine with ShowEQ on it and multiplicity to synchronize some multiple PCs you need to string together, you can get used laptops. It's all pretty basic stuff. If you play a lot of boxes you're going to want another third party application called inner space boxer or macroquest 2 to really get going.

You see, it's a simple matter of dedicated a few weeks to setting up a whole orchestra of stuff so you can really play this game.

• 1Double Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
But seriously, I love the cacophony of garbage that is EQ in 2023. I box six characters on live and it's a totally unique experience.

Jasker

brown please <Wow Guild Officer> /brown please
Arbitrary Arbitrary Write up was awesome man! Thank you. May i ask some questions if you dont mind?

1) if you're a gating class, you should bind somewhere far away from origin then, correct?

2) do you know if the translocators are in the same respective zones since boats are not used, and some of those zones are revamped?

3) is that veteran AA still in existence? you know, the one where the red imp is summoned and he can cast heal over time on you? the other perks? if so, what is it called?

4) are instant clicks clickable from every class, or is it class specific?

5) When you mention Oakwynd having first to engage rules, do these servers generally have players that dont play nice beyond not playing nice? If i'm camping assassin and was there, i can expect anyone at any time to just roll up and contest my mob despite me being there, not care, /ignore, and be on his day? are there any reprocussions for players like this? should we be frap'sing and posting in sections somewhere?

Last edited:

Jasker

brown please <Wow Guild Officer> /brown please
this please holy fuck I don't know wtf you are on about jasker I talk shit about you all the time did you stop taking your schizo meds? You clearly are confusing me with someone else? Yes I was in the WoW Classic guild but I never talked to you in discord ever, I only saw you guys on weekends cus I was living in Japan and the time zones didn't match up.

edit: NSA removal

Last edited:

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Arbitrary Arbitrary Write up was awesome man! Thank you. May i ask some questions if you dont mind?

1) if you're a gating class, you should bind somewhere far away from origin then, correct?

2) do you know if the translocators are in the same respective zones since boats are not used, and some of those zones are revamped?

3) is that veteran AA still in existence? you know, the one where the red imp is summoned and he can cast heal over time on you? the other perks? if so, what is it called?

5) When you mention Oakwynd having first to engage rules, do these servers generally have players that dont play nice beyond not playing nice? If i'm camping assassin and was there, i can expect anyone at any time to just roll up and contest my mob despite me being there, not care, /ignore, and be on his day? are there any reprocussions for players like this? should we be frap'sing and posting in sections somewhere?
Bind wherever is useful. Yes, it wouldn't make sense to bind by your origin.

Boats don't work. Translocators are where you would have got on or off the boat, generally

Some clicks have restrictions and some don't. Some you must equip and others not.

Veteran AA are available to all but it's a staggered unlock. First don't unlock until GoD.

Very little repercussions. Videos of training can work some but DPS races are explicitly fine; DPG does not recognize camps. Most of the time people leave you be, especially if you're in a legit group.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Ill freely admit i gave this game more credit than i should have and made some basic assumptions which turned out to be wrong. But LOL at this comment right here look at this retarded faggot.

What fucking game made this century doesnt have in game settings, in game? A basic menu with video settings like resolution and shit? This shit is hidden in the patcher not even in game, so no i didnt find it because it is unlike every other game ever made.

Then i realize, oh yeah this game wasnt made this century, so technical its fine.

Wow, what a retarded faggot.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser

1. All binding takes is a little mana and a location that allows it (which is most places) so change it whenever you think it will be convenient.
2. Translocators are in. You just talk to the little dude and he'll send you instantly to where the boat would normally go.
3. Vet AA exist but they don't activate until much, much later. Everyone gets all of them for free when they show up regardless of account time.
4. With the clicks the rule of them is if it says "Any Slot/Can Equip. Casting Time Instant" that means you have to be that class. If it says "Any Slot, Cast Time Instant" than anyone can use it. Some say Must Equip which means you have to actually wearing it.
5. In my personal experience players are pretty well behaved but when you do come across a mega asshole it makes an impression.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
The worst part about my experience in this game is trying to find your class dude to train spells from in a city, no matter what city it is, its like a fucking maze and you get lost on they way there a few times and then get lost a few more times trying to get back to the zone you were leveling in. Now Im sure all of you TLP Andys have that shit memorized but I sure as fuck dont.

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
The worst part about my experience in this game is trying to find your class dude to train spells from in a city, no matter what city it is, its like a fucking maze and you get lost on they way there a few times and then get lost a few more times trying to get back to the zone you were leveling in. Now Im sure all of you TLP Andys have that shit memorized but I sure as fuck dont.
Ctrl + F works most of the time.

Gives you a trail you can visually follow to said class trainer/spell vendor.

Most peoples issues with EQ has a solution to their problem, just need to ask.
---
TLP camps dont exist, the way the rules worked for the longest was DPS racing, whoever got the xp/loot, gets the loot. Here it's going to be, whoever hits the mob first gets it.

It's certainly going to be more of an even playing field with FTE rules, so high levels coming in to snipe your shit dont just get your camp with nothing you can do about it.

But... The average EQ player is a 30+ year old white guy reliving his younger life before adulting sucked his soul out, so for the most part you shouldn't have any issues with douchebags outside of a handful of high end camps.

• 1Like

Metalhead

Blackwing Lair Raider
I have a soft spot for rogues but realistically they don't start coming into their own until dodh. They start having adps abilities for other classes as well so it's worth having them around. A lot of the "rogues suck blah blah" stuff in later xpacs comes from where they are put by bad raid leaders.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
All melee classes in this game suffer from lack of skills to use, its literal auto attack and sit back. Other than the hybrids, but even then its not like they have a vast spell repertoire to weave.

• 1Like

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I have a soft spot for rogues but realistically they don't start coming into their own until dodh. They start having adps abilities for other classes as well so it's worth having them around. A lot of the "rogues suck blah blah" stuff in later xpacs comes from where they are put by bad raid leaders.

I don't know about "later xpacs" but they're the only class that brings only dps and isn't even good at it in classic, and then top out at sometimes being around monks on certain fights if everything works out perfectly for several expansions after that.

They really should get a dps boost that phases out slowly, but that sounds too easy and they'd rather make massive changes core mechanics that nobody wants and won't benefit anyone

• 1Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
All melee classes in this game suffer from lack of skills to use, its literal auto attack and sit back. Other than the hybrids, but even then its not like they have a vast spell repertoire to weave.

You don't see it all that often as they tend to build tanky but the SK can get pretty fancy with its weaving of lifetaps and auto attacks for maximum damage. It's not a particularly complex rotation but timing is key and you can really catch the other dps classes slipping starting with Kunark.

Metalhead

Blackwing Lair Raider
I don't know about "later xpacs" but they're the only class that brings only dps and isn't even good at it in classic, and then top out at sometimes being around monks on certain fights if everything works out perfectly for several expansions after that.

They really should get a dps boost that phases out slowly, but that sounds too easy and they'd rather make massive changes core mechanics that nobody wants and won't benefit anyone
Correct, rogues and warriors are jokes in classic. Warriors make up for it in kunark with defensive, but rogues really don't get a lot until way later when the game starts remembering they exist and need some kind of balance.

The revamped poison system should be in from the beginning and you'd see rogues have wayyy more usefulness.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

Yep, raid group composition is hugely important and can be the difference between a win or a loss. Or a raid taking an hour versus taking 15 minutes. It's that huge.

Especially where rogues, zerkers, etc are concerned. Might as well not even bring those classes if you're going to stick them with a group of cloth casters or something.

Maximizing inter-group DPS is a mini game in and of itself for a raid leader, but a fun one.

Late game rogues can really dish it out especially with the right group composition. Rencor, Savaka, and Shord were dominating in late-server Phinny and when it was up to me (zerk) I'd stick all of us with a Shaman and Bard and go to town.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Maximizing inter-group DPS is a mini game in and of itself for a raid leader, but a fun one.
Once auras come into play it's just a massive clusterfuck. You've got the egos, the min-maxers, and the "this should be better on paper" shit you get to figure out over weeks every expac.