EQ TLP - Oakwynd (Evolving Ruleset Progression Server)

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
can you turn off luclin models still? I think that was a big part of the wtf factor trying to fire this shit up after 20 years of not playing it.

also lol look at all these faggots in this thread who can't read. stop trying to sell me on this like I never fucking played, lol.

The gameplay of this was absolute ass. it doesn't stand up the even 2003 standards which is why it basically became "a tale in the desert" the moment an actually polished MMO released and it has remained there in the bargain bin tub at walmart along with every other garbage game next to the 2 for 5 DVDs of late 90 buddy cop films.

The only thing this game has is nostalgia but like I said, main'd a rogue there is no nostalgia there for combat or gameplay. it was the first 3d virtual world and despite being generic fantasy the world holds a special place. I can fondly remember guk and lake rathetear or aviaks in south ro and shit like that while simultaneously recognizing how absolute ass the game was and from the looks of it, still is.

with all the talk about this new TLP and how devs weren't listening and trying to force through some gay change called FTE, it got me thinking and maybe, give it a shot you know?
it's disappointing I was hoping that this would be classic EQ but TLPs aren't classic, they are just live retail game without access to certain zones or features until X unlock happens.

Like I said the gameplay is not worthy of a second thought and I never looked back after quitting, I never had interest in any of the private server or planet 1999 or whatever it was called trying to come up with a classic realm. I had hoped that's what TLPs were but I guess not.

So you wanted it to be like classic EQ except you dont like classic EQ and that's not what you wanted but then you found out it wasn't classic EQ so fuck that, what you wanted was classic EQ but that gameplay sucks so fuck that, too.

Cool story, keep us updated.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
I see reading comprehension is your achilles heel as well.

there is a classic version of EQ right, p99? or is that also just reskinned retail?

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider

there is a classic version of EQ right, p99? or is that also just reskinned retail?

A lot closer to classic, which based on your complaints you'd hate 10x more then a TLP

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
So you wanted it to be like classic EQ except you dont like classic EQ and that's not what you wanted but then you found out it wasn't classic EQ so fuck that, what you wanted was classic EQ but that gameplay sucks so fuck that, too.

Cool story, keep us updated.

I felt like Sylas did when the latest DAOC freeshard came out. I have no idea how I played that when it released, much less did effective PvP as a cabalist lol.

EQ though plays fine, yeah it's slow compared to just about everything out there, but a lot of us appreciate the slow challenging pace as long as there's forward progression.

I wonder what % of these serious TLE types and Krono farmers fire up ShowEQ for these releases.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
I felt like Sylas did when the latest DAOC freeshard came out. I have no idea how I played that when it released, much less did effective PvP as a cabalist lol.

EQ though plays fine, yeah it's slow compared to just about everything out there, but a lot of us appreciate the slow challenging pace as long as there's forward progression.

I wonder what % of these serious TLE types and Krono farmers fire up ShowEQ for these releases.
99-100% are using SEQ or MQ2.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
99-100% are using SEQ or MQ2.

Out of the serious hardcore players I'd say maybe 99% for SEQ but nowhere near that for MQ2. I have nothing to base this on statistically and don't know what percentage I'd say it actually is, but IMO it's nowhere near that. In my experience it's largely the boxers that are using both while regular hardcore people are relying more on SEQ. There are specific small ultrahardcore groups where everyone's using MQ2 though.

Nobody's trying to sell you on anything and if our reading comprehension is lacking it's because we don't care enough to pay careful attention to what you're saying. If you don't like EQ's gameplay and think it's antiquated, cool, maybe you're right, but you're also shitting up an EQ thread.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I would say its 50% nostaliga and 50% a game that has game play that just doesn't happen anymore. Slower combat, CC, camping for items/non quest exp , dungeon crawls, non instance raids, pulling, etc. Lots of things that just dont get made anymore. Good or bad.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I would say its 50% nostaliga and 50% a game that has game play that just doesn't happen anymore. Slower combat, CC, camping, dungeon crawls, non instance raids, pulling, etc. Lots of things that just dont get made anymore. Good or bad.

I think that's the key: Nothing else like EQ gets made anymore. It fills a certain retro niche that just isn't being filled otherwise. I guess Pantheon was supposed to target that retro niche but yeah. Every time I play a turn of the century CRPG or open world game I hope to get that same sense of danger, and anything being possible, that EQ provided. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. It definitely isn't something I'm finding in modern games at all though. They sacrifice a lot of danger and wonder at the altar of "UX" and making sure the player is never lost during their guided tour.

• 1Like

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider

I get where he's coming from, EQ's gameplay is pretty ancient. it's just odd that what he's complaining about is actually much worse in real classic/P99, yet seems to think that's really what he wants

• 1Solidarity

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Yes.

Game Launcher (before you hit PLAY) ---> Advanced Tools ---> Game Configuration
Thank you someone who can read. Turns out by the default the game is 640x480 with Luclin models. that's a recipe for looking like complete shit, thanks for showing me where the find the settings for this

I get where he's coming from, EQ's gameplay is pretty ancient. it's just odd that what he's complaining about is actually much worse in real classic/P99, yet seems to think that's really what he wants
Since you are too retarded to read let me spell it out for you once again, but slower and smaller words this time:

EQ gameplay lame as fuck. I played rogue in 1999. just turn on auto-attack, press back stab every 6 seconds. If you do more damage than the warrior, you die. can't even mend like a monk or feign death. That is the entirety of combat. lots of chit chat typing. nobody used voice back then. there wasn't anything else. no disciplines, no evade (added later to let us reduce threat). That shit sucks, nothing great or sentimental about this. I don't want to play EQ for the "Game play" the game play is aids. I got nostalgic about the world.

But the world isn't the world i knew on TLPs. The world is fucking retail with revamped zones and shitty luclin models. luckily someone who can read told me how to turn those off.

its like if blizzard did a classic server but with cataclysm zones instead of the original. I never played cataclysm I have fucking zero nostalgia about WoW post cataclysm.

Is there a fucking version of this game that is actually classic, not retail with all the latest zones simply turned off?

• 1Moron

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Thank you someone who can read. Turns out by the default the game is 640x480 with Luclin models. that's a recipe for looking like complete shit, thanks for showing me where the find the settings for this

Since you are too retarded to read let me spell it out for you once again, but slower and smaller words this time:

EQ gameplay lame as fuck. I played rogue in 1999. just turn on auto-attack, press back stab every 6 seconds. If you do more damage than the warrior, you die. can't even mend like a monk or feign death. That is the entirety of combat. lots of chit chat typing. nobody used voice back then. there wasn't anything else. no disciplines, no evade (added later to let us reduce threat). That shit sucks, nothing great or sentimental about this. I don't want to play EQ for the "Game play" the game play is aids. I got nostalgic about the world.

But the world isn't the world i knew on TLPs. The world is fucking retail with revamped zones and shitty luclin models. luckily someone who can read told me how to turn those off.

its like if blizzard did a classic server but with cataclysm zones instead of the original. I never played cataclysm I have fucking zero nostalgia about WoW post cataclysm.

Is there a fucking version of this game that is actually classic, not retail with all the latest zones simply turned off?
Why are you so butthurt? Jesus, dude.

You're all angry and you can't even do the most basic step of checking your game settings like any other game ever made.

P99 is much more accurate to the original game than a TLP. That's the world you want.

Though, based on your inability to think maybe 640x480 isn't the only possible resolution (which wasn't even true back in the day), I'm not sure you can figure out how to connect to P99.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

For someone with a puppy as an avatar, you sure come off like a fuckin' douchebag.

I also played a rogue back in the actual classic and it really was horrendous. People told me to stick with it because rogues were good on raids (this was circa Velious because it took me like 18 months to reach max level). Had a lot of short bursts of playtime and couldn't get anything done the way, say, a druid would have been able to. LFG for a while, get a group out of pity probably from people who knew me, get 5-10 kills, time to go. Finally got to raid, got screwed by a bunch of guild drama and bullshit by the clique that the only other rogue was in. Game was total ass and not enjoyable, but the world sure was an exciting place to explore nonetheless. Being freaked out by the Tangrin and running for my life, or sneaking around Skyfire, or worrying about Trakanon bum-rushing me randomly in a Sebilis tunnel (when I was nowhere near him and didn't understand how aggro worked). Those were all awesome memories, despite how much the gameplay sucked for a rogue. I wish I'd have played something more fun like drood, though. Every time I tried to do ANYTHING by myself as a rogue I just died.

With the epic I might be able to solo a very low blue con, and thought I'd be able to actually exp that way (lol). Except then I'd have to sit for 15 minutes. Was so happy when I got a BP that cast a heal, cause it meant that between fights I could actually get back to full health in a timely manner. Except I still had like a 50% chance of actually winning said fight to begin with, even against things 10 levels below me in Dreadlands and stuff. I tapped out in 2001 and it's amazing I went back to the game in 2004+ at all.

Jasker

brown please <Wow Guild Officer> /brown please
FYI Sylas Sylas is in the armed forces or reserves last I recall and has been out on assignment like twice at the very least. Gets a free pass in my book for being braver than myself any day of the week. Go ahead and talk that smack if you want man.

• 1Brony
  • 1Worf
  • 1Pathetic

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I don't care if he's the second coming of jesus christ, if you come into an everquest thread and bitch about everquest, you are going to be told to fuck right off. If I go over to somewhere like the hentai waifu thread and start talking shit about it, I'm gonna take flak. If I head over to the gun club and spout that nobody needs an ar15, more shit on. This is the internet. Zaide serves and takes shit sometimes, including for deploying and being called a ditcher over it. Navy seals get beat up the quarter dozen around here. No mercy.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

Jasker

brown please <Wow Guild Officer> /brown please
I don't care if he's the second coming of jesus christ, if you come into an everquest thread and bitch about everquest, you are going to be told to fuck right off. If I go over to somewhere like the hentai waifu thread and start talking shit about it, I'm gonna take flak. If I head over to the gun club and spout that nobody needs an ar15, more shit on. This is the internet. Zaide serves and takes shit sometimes, including for deploying and being called a ditcher over it. Navy seals get beat up the quarter dozen around here. No mercy.

Take your meds yerm yerm I was talking about myself and my own opinion. You are entitled to your own.

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
So anyway, i was able to get my 2 neighbors to play test before launch and they wanted to roll melee, first timers etc Let them get to lvl 5 and rerolled mages just to show it’s not as balanced as most games and one guy was laughing maniacally at the ability to point / kill with the pet.

They both want to give it a shot, but with d4 launching I doubt it’ll hook em

Funny stuff was hearing them complain about the combat music and one dude going 0/3 on a fire bolt bc geometry and him realizing it too late / getting rocked

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
TLPs might not nail the 99 gameplay but it sure fucking brings old school toxicity lol

Last edited:
  • 1Worf

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
The tools for a low-level rogue are extremely minimal and playing them is boring. It only gets fun in certain situations or when you get deep into EQ's lifetime where you are focused on buff stacking, rotations, etc.

EQ is a unique game for a few reasons, one of which is the massive amount of complexity and "gameplay" from years and years of stacked up features different developers yeeted onto the pile. Going from live or late TLP EQ to a fresh TLP with a low-level character is kind of refreshing but can also be really boring if you're not boxing, and especially if you're playing some broke down class like a rogue.

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Playing the best classes isn't always a good idea either. While most people can get a spot on the roster, you might find yourself doing jack shit with the other 20+ people that chose to play a tank or monk. Most healers are pretty safe, monks at least do damage that is always productive but if you have dreams of being a main tank or puller for a guild you might be disappointed. Being one of 20 monks is also a pretty shit experience as far as getting any loot that is lusted for.

Keep in mind if you really want to play a rogue, it's infinitely easier to level one in classic to max, rather than waiting until kunark or velious to do the 1-60 grind with hardly anyone to group with.

Nobody wants to xp after hitting 60, it's a long hard grind that once you're done, especially with the new benefits to not lose a level on death, you're 100% done with that shit and any calls for a group in guild chat will be tumbleweeds.

Play what you want, don't be a constantly afk douche and enjoy the ride.

• 1Like