EQN:Landmark Beta Starts March 26th!

Flight

Molten Core Raider
I'd still guess some time in the next 48 hours. SoE has a tendency to put stuff out on Wednesdays. It makes sense - couple of days in the working week to prepare for it and a couple days after it to deal with any issues.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
The depth part is exciting, I still think the rest is pretty small.
You have never tried to build large-scale stuff in Minecraft, do you?

For reference, I'm doing a large-scale project: 155x155x155 (about 6-7 claims volume), using common materials (wood/stone/wool). I've started last february, and am probably putting an average of 20-25h/week on it.

It's currently 1/3rd done.

Of course, the building tools are obviously a lot easier in EQNL (you paint large scale surfaces rather than placing every 1x1x1 bloc individually), you can - after a while - fly around to build. But we still don't know the speed at which you'll gather resources, and you can obviously put a much higher level of details than the rough 1x1x1m voxels of Minecraft.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Hmm pretty weak, why mention a mile deep if players only ever see 100m down. That video Quaid posted seemed to assume players will have that entire mile to play with.
You can certainly play, but parts outside of your claim regenerate, so anything dug or excavated below the claim will refill and close. If you want to create a dungeon, you have to claim below ground.

Claims do three things: prevent others from claiming close to you unless you allows them (limited radius horizontally, entire size vertically), prevent others from building inside your claim, and prevent the claim from reseting to base world state after you've dug up tunnels/built structures.

Daelos

Guarding the guardians
Claims do three things: prevent others from claiming close to you unless you allows them (limited radius horizontally, entire size vertically), prevent others from building inside your claim, and prevent the claim from reseting to base world state after you've dug up tunnels/built structures.
Are you permitted to build outside your claim, even as it resets after a while, or is only destructive actions (mining) permitted?

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
For people like me who dislike minecraft and and building structures and shit does Landmark offer anything for us? I know they said it would have combat and shit eventually but have they gone into when this will be in and how be? Is it basically a "build stuff" game?

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
If you don't like Minecraft I doubt there will be anything for you in Landmark at first. Maybe once they get combat and mob AI in for people to play around with. Then you will probably start seeing dungeons and Minecraft style adventure maps start popping up which may interest you more. Of course then you'll have the problem of sorting through a mountain of shit to find the gems that comes with any community content driven game.

Tol_sl

shitlord
I hope they eventually embrace underground building to a degree. Maybe in limited areas or quantities, but I think it would be really neat to have underground trade outposts and settlements to serve as base camps to go deeper down. Stuff like the underground luclin tunnels and caverns that kept a sense of permanence would be kind of cool to have, in moderation.

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
If you don't like Minecraft I doubt there will be anything for you in Landmark at first. Maybe once they get combat and mob AI in for people to play around with. Then you will probably start seeing dungeons and Minecraft style adventure maps start popping up which may interest you more. Of course then you'll have the problem of sorting through a mountain of shit to find the gems that comes with any community content driven game.
This saddens me. I wish I had that interest/ability for stuff like this but it's simply not to be.

I am still cautiously super excited for EQN itself. I just hope it has little minecraft to it and comes out before 2019 or something,

Iadien

Silver Knight of the Realm
For those that can't visualize how big the claims are and depth is, watch:EverQuest Next: Landmark - Size Depth - YouTube

Seems odd to play this type of game for exploring or resource gathering. It's there to build shit, the bigger the better and leave the RPG elements to Next. I don't want to see little johnny's house or tower, I want to see people re-create entire dungeons, entire landmarks etc.
Here's a shocker, not everyone plays games for the same reasons. What a revelation.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
This saddens me. I wish I had that interest/ability for stuff like this but it's simply not to be.

I am still cautiously super excited for EQN itself. I just hope it has little minecraft to it and comes out before 2019 or something,
Have you ever really given Minecraft a go? Honest question. I had it for a while and thought it was stupid, but then one day I really dug into it and was hooked. Not creative mode, but survival mode where there's an actual "sort of" game there. It was only better when playing on a MP server with other ReRolled people.

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
rrr_img_58241.png

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Ok now he's starting to piss me the fuck off. We should get more than a few fucking hours notice... Just announce the shit already.

Zx88_sl

shitlord
Anyone know if there are going to be guilds implemented for alpha? I bought a pack the other day and was wondering if people are going to congregate to a specific area or is it going to be free-for-all, so to speak.

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
This from Smokejumper:

"Just to reassure, this is one of the best Alpha stages I've been associated with in all my years in the industry. Alpha is not usually public-facing, so it's usually a lot shakier than this. Setting ourselves up so you can see it has created an amazing amount of focus for the team. It kind of makes me wish we'd had public Alphas before on my previous teams.

Yes, there's still a lot to do.

About the teasing. Hmmm...well...those are the personalities involved. This team really likes fun. We work stupidly hard, but we're ALL about the fun of the game. That's going to leak out in weird ways.

And I'm not going to stop any of those oddities. Letting people have fun makes the game better. When we invited you inside to the Alpha, so that you could become part of the dev team, that comes with all the oddities too. Our personalities are part of that.

We don't lie. We don't swindle. We're the good guys in the industry and we really want to build this game with you.

But we do subject you to our personalities. Alpha's going to be worth it, I think." - DG