Everquest Mysteries

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Treesong

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I still have the file, best to run it in win98 compatibility mode. Nostalgia to the max.

https://treesong.home.xs4all.nl/EverQuest.rar

I learned that this is not a standalone program so I included the entire pristine installation of Everquest from the original installation disk from '99.

Run in win98 comp mode.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
God damn. That tutorial. Much memories. Wish I were back in high school when all I had to do was dick around all day and look forward to bagel bites and hours of EQ after school every day.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Those days were sweet. I was in my freshmen year of college living in a private apartment off campus. My day consisted of two Jimmy Dean Sausage Bisquits and cokes, lunch was a marie calender pot pie and more cokes etc. Like being on coke and heroin at the same time. Just gained about 65 pounds in that year and a half.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
This fucking game was so magical and addictive back then. I got my first PC at home around 1999 and my wife bought me this shit for Xmas. it was literally my first PC game. It was a dream come true for a hardcore RPG addict from the console days of SNES and PS1. It was like a hardcore RPG with other people! Fucking great. Its all I thought about for years. I remember my wife being so pissed at me. Pissed at herself for buying me that stupid game, hehe. I was a bit older at that time, about 26 so I already had a real job and shit and my first kid was born that winter. So I was mostly a casual scum. I wish I had a game like this in high school or college, would of saved me a ton of cash and kept me out of trouble.

• 2Like

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
I thought I was hot shit when I learned how to use hex editing to load up any zone in the game using that tutorial.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Tried to run the tutorial in W98 compatibility mode. It's asking for missing .dll files.

Swagdaddy

There is a war going on over control of your mind
i remember everyone being a dark elf necro and being very impressed when someone was able to kill a guard

I was 10

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
fuck those freeport guards! farmed them for many an hour leveling my assling druid.

Used to exp Freeport guards as well, first wizard was kos everywhere because duels used to give faction hits and I would literally kill any npc I never seen before because who the fuck knew what it might drop.

• 2Solidarity

Treesong

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Tried to run the tutorial in W98 compatibility mode. It's asking for missing .dll files.
My bad, I was wrong about the standalone. Just adding those 2 dll files did not do the trick either, so I just wrapped up the entire Everquest map with everythin in it in a rar and posted that on my webdisk. So in that map is a pristine Everquest installation from the original disk. I can start the tutorial.exe from there (in win 98 comp mode) so hopefully this works. Sorry for posting broken stuff.

Its 450MB big but should download pretty fast if you have a fast connection.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My bad, I was wrong about the standalone. Just adding those 2 dll files did not do the trick either, so I just wrapped up the entire Everquest map with everythin in it in a rar and posted that on my webdisk. So in that map is a pristine Everquest installation from the original disk. I can start the tutorial.exe from there (in win 98 comp mode) so hopefully this works. Sorry for posting broken stuff.

Its 450MB big but should download pretty fast if you have a fast connection.

No biggie. I still have my original Kunark installation disk. Pretty sure the tutorial was on there too.

I will take a look at yours when I get home.

Masakari

Pattern Recognition Expert
<Gold Donor>

edit -- lol look at those timestamps.

i had a working .exe of the tutorial a few years ago, but not sure where it is now or where i got it from... P99 forums maybe?

Watching that vid brings back painful memories of corpse runs all over Kunark and Velious lol no idea why.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
when its late at night or very early morning does anyone get EQ flashbacks of logging on? you want to play a little bit, but there isnt anyone you know still online. you find two or three strangers in OS and they are in the same group and they /ooc come on down to join them and you run down the ramp cuz it looks clear when all of a sudden a roamer jumps you out of fucking nowhere and then you dead. this happened to me a lot back in the days of kunark when i was trying to get lv 60.

usually i wanted to finish up that bubble or maybe ding a new level and instead i lost exp and have to do the naked corpse run back to OS meanwhile scrolling through chat trying to find the name of the players in the zone hoping they can rez you. for a shaman i was usually shit out of luck because i was always the main healer in groups and the side effect of being picked for groups all the time was those late night groups had no other healers and so it was up to me to keep peeps in group alive and if somebody died, we had no clerics to rez us. the danger usually added spice to the game, but it sucked when you gambled on a PU group and got hosed.

anyway i was messing around on the computer and out of the blue i got one of those flashbacks and felt like sharing.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Not sure how many stuck around for Luclin, but whenever I wake up, and keep in mind it's been 15 years? since I did this shit, I always get the urge to check my seller to see if I sold anything in the Bazaar overnight.

It's fucking sickening.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vinjin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Not sure how many stuck around for Luclin, but whenever I wake up, and keep in mind it's been 15 years? since I did this shit, I always get the urge to check my seller to see if I sold anything in the Bazaar overnight.

It's fucking sickening.

LOL. I remember waking up, sometimes in the middle of the night, and checking up on my seller and hoping to see that big, beautiful wall of yellow text showing all the shit that sold. Was very satisfying.

I can't remember for sure when this was but I'm guessing 7-8 years ago when they started releasing the Hardcore Heritage content. I think it's an annual thing now but back then when it first launched, I quickly realized that my necro could solo the revamped LGuk zone without too much trouble. Pretty much everything had a chance to drop the new lvl 70 Darkened armor pieces so I absolutely cleaned up. I remember looting so much of it that I had to create a spreadsheet just to keep track of it all. Most of them were lore but having a Druid on my second account made that a non-issue. Each night, I would load up my bazaar mule and come back the next morning sold out. IIRC, I made about 4-5 million plat that month.

Good times!

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member

It's fucking sickening.
when sellers went up, it was always the first thing i checked when i woke up. then i went back to resubmit the stuff i didnt sell and go back to sleep or get ready for my day. during velius, my first to do thing after a raid or when i woke up was logging in my ranger who was permaparked in WW to check for myga. those dragonbane spells were the top priority for the guild at the time and we had like 8-10 wizards in guild so i did lots of myga camps. it must have sucked for our wizards too because my GL had all their phone numbers and when i spotted myga the alarm went off in /gu and we had to mobilize a crew to gank his ass before our "competition" grew a brain and did the same.

fast forward 15 years, i went back to EQ for a while and when i looked on my character screen, there is my little lv 52 human ranger still parked at the WW entrance waiting for his time to shine again. i finally took him out of there. he was happy. :)

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
Hehe since we're talking about weird flashbacks.. I was playing Mario 3D Land on 3DS the other day while bored at the in-laws, and I realized the noise it makes when you unlock a locked level (by spending the star coins to open it) is the EXACT same sound file for the classic EQ "Ding!"..of course it sounds nothing like Ding, it's more like TRIIIIIIIIINK. That sound is forever engraved into my brain.

Found a video! Makes me chuckle every time..

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Hehe since we're talking about weird flashbacks.. I was playing Mario 3D Land on 3DS the other day while bored at the in-laws, and I realized the noise it makes when you unlock a locked level (by spending the star coins to open it) is the EXACT same sound file for the classic EQ "Ding!"..of course it sounds nothing like Ding, it's more like TRIIIIIIIIINK. That sound is forever engraved into my brain.

Found a video! Makes me chuckle every time..

hells yeah.

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
Speaking of the tutorial, one of the l33t sploitz I remember reading about and doing was to go into the eqconfig file and change out the map name and you could use the tutorial to wander around any map in game. There were no mobs and it was janky because of clipping issues, but I spent hours exploiting this "strat" to see high end zones and the inside of Castle Mistmoore when I was just a noob.

Can't remember if that was off of eqsploitz or drtwister or where. Good times.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
Speaking of the tutorial, one of the l33t sploitz I remember reading about and doing was to go into the eqconfig file and change out the map name and you could use the tutorial to wander around any map in game. There were no mobs and it was janky because of clipping issues, but I spent hours exploiting this "strat" to see high end zones and the inside of Castle Mistmoore when I was just a noob.

Can't remember if that was off of eqsploitz or drtwister or where. Good times.
I thought I was hot shit when I learned how to use hex editing to load up any zone in the game using that tutorial.