Everquest Mysteries

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
I remember during early Kunark, on the nameless server, there was a dark elf warrior(or sk?) named Etpo. Me and Etpo were bros and grouped all the time. We could not understand each other at all cause he was Asian as fuck. most of what he said was "~~~ la la~~ la~" But we still tried to communicate. We would log on and exp together nearly every day.

One day he looks at my awful gear, and is like "la~~~" and opens trade and gives me 3 pieces of cobalt armor(boots, helm, arms i think)which was all still Extremely rare only like 3 weeks(?) into Kunark. I was so goddamned happy, seriously like the happiest moment of my nerd life up to that point.

two days later the server message board erupts with accusations of him duping items, few days after that I saw him again and he gave me a bag of random Kunark armor and 10k gold. Said he was about to get banned. which he did. I kept all my phat loots and never told anyone where I got it. :( RIP Etpo I miss u friend~~~~~~

I think I've told this story before but I had a Cleric buddy named Brolli in Association of Adventurers on E'ci. We were long time buddies and I had hooked him up bigly back in early EQ before my first retirement.

When Kunark came out, I started up an Iksar Shaman named Csin, he was around 45ish at the time. Get a tell from Brolli: "Meet me at EC tunnel."

He's like I have some stuff for you but it's on some alts, brb. Alt shows up starts handing me bags of gear full of high level shit, CoF, RBB, JBB, Fungi tunic, etc. He's like, you can keep all the shammy stuff, give my other chars the rest.

Long story short, he had logged on to his guildies and had plundered something like 10 of his guild mates before transferring to Zeb. I did love having a fungi though

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

kudos

<Banned>
What's amazing thinking back is how nobody could just randomly show up on a server at max level with good gear and nobody know them. There were always questions for that person and if he tried to join a guild he had to come clean with references.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
What's amazing thinking back is how nobody could just randomly show up on a server at max level with good gear and nobody know them. There were always questions for that person and if he tried to join a guild he had to come clean with references.
yeah, old timers knew who had all the dragon and god loot, til like velius, then every guild had a little something something and you couldnt track it.

Siliconemelons

For a good 6mo people had track of who all had rubi and yaks lol

EQ was good like Zelda BOTW is good- what mechanics let you do X even though thats not what we wanted...mmkay, enjoy bros.,

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Don't listen to Lend, he sucked balls.

And CiH somehow survived to Prophecy of Ro? Jesus. I quit in PoP.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
most old timers also knew who were the first lv 50s and 60s and how they did it. soloers were always looked on as cheaters when they were the first ones to reach max level.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
So? Were you having fun exploring? I read something several years ago about how something like 5k+ quests in Everquest were never even completed by any player.

That's because they never worked. Exploring is one thing and having fun trying to figure out a quest is something as well. To find out half the shit wasn't in the game or working correctly? Come on.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Fuckers still ignore my questions about whether the Remagnetized Partisan of Underfoot quest ever actually existed.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Funny is that Aakla, the Main taink of Cats, server transfer to CT, and he told them my story, and the CT people said, that the Cats in Hats Officers were been idiots, who cares if I got that from hacking.

They sound like total faggots. Probably some piece of shit nosy person examining everyone's gear hoping to be able to swing their dick around and start shit like some old fuck HOA president driving around in a golf cart measuring people's grass.

• 1Solidarity

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
this happened to a lot of my guildies and myself included to some degree. you get in a high end raiding guild and you log in go to raid places then on the rare occasion the raid ends reasonably early, maybe you and some guildies run over to do a certain quest or just solo a little bit. you never see whats outside your guild and if you do then it looks like everyone else is a complete moron. and maybe they are or maybe you are just super fucking jaded because you are used to playing with people who raid the hardest hitters/nukers all day and night and have the absolutely best gear in the game to handle it.

i played EQ for 5 years and of those 5 years, i spent 4 years as a member of a high end raiding guild. i had seen it all, done it all and when i hung out in EC tunnel or at a wizard port waiting with the masses of regular players for the portal to activate i would get crowdd and spammed inspection because of the phat l00t i was pimping. inevitably i would get sent tells askingh for cash or buffs. i would put the /AFK tag on and hope they went away. it got so that when a raid was over i would just gate to bind point and log on one of my lesser geared twinks with /anon status so they couldnt tell that i was in the big guild, but after a while even my twinks had better gear than 90% of the server. i tried grouping with regular players on those twinks, but the groups i got in could see i was kitted out like crazy and would always look to me to save them every fucking time. i didnt mind taking the hits, i certainly did that enough on my shaman during raids, but it allowed these regular players to basically fuck off and not play their roles because i was powerleveling them. thats not to say there werent regular players who went above and beyond in their roles and i would ask them nonchalantly if they were in a guild and if they were happy there and maybe they would like to join a better guild and have more fun. i was a big recruiter when i found a good pick. but those times were few and far between.

when EQ started there was some level of dedication in the first players, because the game was targeted at dedicated gamers and RPers so we got a hardier bunch, plus it was kind of expensive with not too many people owning an EQ capable PC and a proper connection. the tech caught up in the 2000s, but for a time if you were in EQ you more or less had some money to play and had a PC background. i had my first PC by 92 or 93 and was already playing online games for 5 years before EQ went live so it was just the next logical step for me. the kiddies were still fucking with the consoles and internet was still silly expensive and not many would pay to look at shitty web sites. plus, the EQ learning curve was on HARD mode so it kept most people away from it.

Sean used to bitch all the time on IRC that games were too fucking easy and he only played EQ for the skill. he was right. before i had internet i was playing fucking hard Sierra games, goddamned Phantasmagoria took a giant shit on me for winning that game because it took so long to do it after dying many times and didnt get all the easter eggs. when i won Conquest of Camelot i swear the game said something like, you won, i guess, but your score sucks, you suck, kill yourself now!

Released today.

Release: Conquests of Camelot: The Search for the Grail

maxresdefault.jpg

Also checkout Conquests of the Longbow: The Legend of Robin Hood

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Released today.

Release: Conquests of Camelot: The Search for the Grail

View attachment 137531

Also checkout Conquests of the Longbow: The Legend of Robin Hood
that game can go suck a Saracen dick. i finally gave a big FU to Sierra with their Gabriel Knight werewolf mystery game and never bothered with Phantasmagoria2. i played those games with my dad and so we only played once a week for 3 hours. the in game computer saw that as me taking too long and lowered my grade, some of those puzzles were purposely misleading, so of course you are going to die more til you find that fucking notch in the shitty cdrom FMV cut scene. the noughties had better graphics and more fun games. i never got all the Easter Eggs in RTCW, but at least they didnt shit on me for it.

Maul

Dental Dammer
Favorite part EQ was my alt wizard and being a complete fucking tool bag as him while having the same class in the best guild on the server and no one ever knew. Loved nothing more than to show up in a zone and watch OOC just explode with people bitching by just having my name show up in the /who because aggregate damage didn't exist and I had no issues stealing people's rares.

I used to keep a list of the mobs I ks'd and the items, I also loved to speed loot rare items as my good guy wizard and pretend the common dropped. I wouldn't join a camp if I didn't have the common and if someone beat me to speed looting and the rare dropped I just spoofed the roll to win. Always used the bad guy wizard to sell my ill begotten loot because trust me people would seriously question when you got something.

If you cast a teleport and /q it would send the group and leave you behind, best use ever of it was porting a faggot named Ranadin to hate when he went afk fd for 3hrs and spent the next two days playing where's my corpse because I had them make me group leader, booted them did the /q port and came back and pretended like I just went LD.

Another favorite was the staff of temporal flux would cancel someone's IVU if you targeted them and right click but not remove the buff icon, I killed so many people and caused so many trains with that in Lguk and Unrest.

Never giving anyone consent to drag my corpse because fuck you, you weren't going to be the asshole that looted my corpse and stole my shit. My cleric box always got shit for rezzing him but I'd just pretend that he paid me 500p and people understood.

Lady Daegarmo was just awesome he constantly pretended like he punished me and would tell me to go to the other wizard and lay low for a few hours or days. The irony of it all the item that broke the camels back was an item that I didn't steal, a carmine robe. Shortly after people learned about roll spoofing, items started giving a loot message and aggregate damage was implemented. So I stripped the account, sold it for $5k and had another wizard max leveled and geared within a month.

God that shit was fucking fun.

Haha I remember Ranadin on 7th hammer, was in TDE for a little bit as well!

Hackers in our Midst in Village Idiot's Convention Forum Awesome Drama Necro here.

I remember running into you in permafrost, you were laying low. You told me even newbies knew of your name and your "I'll gotten" carmine robe. Lol i remember having to get a selfie with you. I love how even after all this time googling "destined ninja loot" brings me here lol.
Destined To'roole

Aeon is still a cunt and I laughed my ass off when he/she stole a thorny vine breast plate claiming vengeance for my alleged theft, Inner Circle had no fucking clue I was in their guild.

sneakyflute

Golden Squire
I didn't know EQ had music until about a month in. I was grouped with a guy in Dagnor's Cauldron and when he told me the zone's music was creepy I thought he was pulling my chain. I opened up the options menu and sure enough the music was off by default. Changed my whole experience.

Also, anyone remember that beggar who uttered some weird lines in Freeport? He's the only I remember having any audible dialogue.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Desert madman-looking beggar in the Bard's guild/tavern in Freeport East. He'd randomly say (with audio) "Might I have some copper please?" which scared the everloving shit out of me the first time I heard it. I was sitting in there camping some bard npc and the dialogue blasted through my speakers out of nowhere.