Everquest Mysteries

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
I played the first few months of EQ with the entire UI being bright pink because I didn't understand video card drivers. When I finally figured out how to install them it changed everything.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

sneakyflute

Golden Squire
Don't know if this guy was mentioned yet, but I was in a Vallon Zek guild Twelve Prophets with Brock Pierce whose claim to fame was a role in Mighty Ducks. I didn't know it at the time but he and the 18-year-old guild leader Alan (I thought he was 30-something) pretty much pioneered gold farming in MMOs. I believe this Brock Pierce dude was accused of sex trafficking at one point.

Looking back, they were some immature, petulant shitheads. We got disbanded because a few decided to corpse camp on Plane of Fear (might have been Hate?) for hours on end.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Desert madman-looking beggar in the Bard's guild/tavern in Freeport East. He'd randomly say (with audio) "Might I have some copper please?" which scared the everloving shit out of me the first time I heard it. I was sitting in there camping some bard npc and the dialogue blasted through my speakers out of nowhere.

I still remember the midi loop that would play in the taverns.

Sounded like muffled conversations, clanging glasses, and a couple line tavern song of people singing.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Vithe

Hardcore Casual

Sounded like muffled conversations, clanging glasses, and a couple line tavern song of people singing.
That annoying shit still repeats in POK when you stand by the vendors closest to the small bank.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>

I spent the other night chilling listening to that for awhile haha. In the West trader building in Plane of Knowledge on The Al'Kabor Project. Good stuff.

kudos

<Banned>
Don't know if this guy was mentioned yet, but I was in a Vallon Zek guild Twelve Prophets with Brock Pierce whose claim to fame was a role in Mighty Ducks. I didn't know it at the time but he and the 18-year-old guild leader Alan (I thought he was 30-something) pretty much pioneered gold farming in MMOs. I believe this Brock Pierce dude was accused of sex trafficking at one point.

Looking back, they were some immature, petulant shitheads. We got disbanded because a few decided to corpse camp on Plane of Fear (might have been Hate?) for hours on end.

Brock Pierce ended up getting into multiple tech companies and making millions. He ran the first internet TV station called "DEN" where him and his co-owners ran a child sex trafficking ring. He ended up never getting caught but a lot of the guys he worked with in Hollywood did. He now works in Bitcoin.

There is a documentary about him and all his pedo friends on Youtube. It has a really high rating on Rotten Tomatoes but nobody will release it due to Hollywood flipping out.

sneakyflute

Golden Squire
I remember reading about a dungeon that would spawn once a month in the middle of the Lake of Ill Omen and would occasionally swim out there like a dumbass. Similarly, there were whispers about a rare creature in the lake somewhere in the Rathe Mountains but I'm pretty sure that was just an urban legend.

Not really a mystery, but rubicite was so damn rare and coveted and the reason I became acquainted with item sales and exchanges on Ebay. . Didn't Sony remove it or make it no-drop to prevent people from profiting from it?

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Similarly, there were whispers about a rare creature in the lake somewhere in the Rathe Mountains but I'm pretty sure that was just an urban legend.

The Lake Rathe monster actually existed during beta I believe, which is part of why the rumor was so rampant.

uncognito

Trakanon Raider
I remember in classic there was a bugged deep water goblin in lake rathe that would path right to the south karana zoneline every time it spawned. made for a nice safe spot to semi afk grind his 5min respawn or whatever it was.
the good ole days of camping a single kill every 5min

sneakyflute

Golden Squire
Speaking of single mob camps, that female dwarf by the lfay-akanon zone line was pretty popular for some reason. I had a shitty halfling warrior and it was the only thing I could solo (I thought soloing would be more efficient at the time). I think I graduated to the dwarves in Ocean of tears after that

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Dorf npcs used to have those expensive weapons like "An Axe" or "Long Sword" that sold for 11 plat if I remember correctly.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
Dorf npcs used to have those expensive weapons like "An Axe" or "Long Sword" that sold for 11 plat if I remember correctly.

At one point in early EQ the dwarves in BB were on a 6 minute spawn and dropped Fine Steel Axes (I think) that were originally worth 34pp before they got nerfed. They also had a chance to drop Box of Abu Kar (10 slot 100% box) which was money at the time, and I think it was also a bug where any mob over level 35 had a chance to drop.

I think I leveled my Druid from 31-39 here and I made so much money. I bought a mana stone for like 3k and that was an absolute game changer. There was a camp with three guards and I would just kill them over and over. Was probably about the only time I ever felt ahead of the power curve while playing EQ.

Dracula's Crew

Molten Core Raider

I remember years later being sent an article about Alan and his rise to fame from Everquest. I knew nothing about the child sex ring though.

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>

Brock Pierce ended up getting into multiple tech companies and making millions. He ran the first internet TV station called "DEN" where him and his co-owners ran a child sex trafficking ring. He ended up never getting caught but a lot of the guys he worked with in Hollywood did. He now works in Bitcoin.

There is a documentary about him and all his pedo friends on Youtube. It has a really high rating on Rotten Tomatoes but nobody will release it due to Hollywood flipping out.

I remember years later being sent an article about Alan and his rise to fame from Everquest. I knew nothing about the child sex ring though.

I was watching part of that documentary when Steve Bannon's name popped up. Crazy shit.

Steve Bannon Invested $60 Million in a World of Warcraft Gold-Farming Company - CraveOnline