Everquest - Phinigel server

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I am assuming you VM and use a VPN on each to different locations. Otherwise, your IP would be the same from your ISP which is what DBG is looking for.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I am assuming you VM and use a VPN on each to different locations. Otherwise, your IP would be the same from your ISP which is what DBG is looking for.

Don't think it's VPN based, I goofed with VPNing and it jacked my EQ login even with a single account.

lost

<Bronze Donator>
Nah they don't care about IP. Had a GM visit me while on multiple VM/comp setups on same IP. Frankly they dont really seem to care about shit as long as youre at the keyboard when they come. Had a buddy report that rosengard guy in sebilis that would have like 40 people and broadcast casters at same time, GM didnt care that he had 40 or could cast ae spells at the same time every time. Maybe he wasnt boxing all 40 but the broadcasting ae at same time..

As for the rest, trade secrets.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Hmm... maybe I should tinker with VM some then see if I can get the handle on it - only care about 2 (maybe 3, but I doubt it) box on a single machine so manual would work fine anyhow, just need to understand the VM side.

Denjoy

Molten Core Raider
I would love to hear how, I know how to make multiple VM's. I mean how do you control them all properly with software and not several keyboards and mice. To me that part sounds immensely frustrating but it is EQ so nothing is exactly super intensive. Unless something has changed I don't know about.

When I used to 3 box I used MQ2 with the MQ2EQBC plugin. It runs a simple chat server on your PC and all the EQ instances connect to it and monitor it for broadcasts/tells. So you'd make macros on your "main" to control all the other characters. The commands were like /bct ClericName //cast 1 to send a direct command or /bca //command to mass broadcast.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Wouldn't that system be highly detectable?

BCS plugin is all client side. The broadcast server is a 127 loopback address on your own PC. MQ2 knows to look for MQ specific commands being sent, and before sending those to the game server, it's stripped out and used by MQ to process commands. If you sent /bca whatever in EQ chat it would just tell you invalid command. Do it with MQ and it will just strip that command out of the EQ packet that and process what you are telling it to do.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
I thought they banned you from running EQ in a VM?

They have the capability of detecting some VMs, and can detect if you have MQ2 loaded. The info posted about MQ2's BCS plugin is false; it still has to inject into the memory space of EQ for MQ2Main.dll, MQ2EQBC.dll, and all the other MQ2 plugins that auto-inject once the game client is loaded. You can easily use a packet to call GetModuleHandle(nullptr, "MQ2Main.dll") with the text not being in the game client if you were Daybreak. Especially considering they have source.

They have also done class variable integrity checks since 2006 or so, as well as included warping detection in movement packets. See: crc32mem function in 2003 eqgame map file x-refs.

They don't act on it from what I have seen unless it's causing grief to other players.

Last edited:

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
They have the capability of detecting some VMs, and can detect if you have MQ2 loaded. The info posted about MQ2's BCS plugin is false; it still has to inject into the memory space of EQ for MQ2Main.dll, MQ2EQBC.dll, and all the other MQ2 plugins that auto-inject once the game client is loaded. You can easily use a packet to call GetModuleHandle(nullptr, "MQ2Main.dll") with the text not being in the game client if you were Daybreak. Especially considering they have source.

They have also done class variable integrity checks since 2006 or so, as well as included warping detection in movement packets. See: crc32mem function in 2003 eqgame map file x-refs.

They don't act on it from what I have seen unless it's causing grief to other players.

So you think its safe to use a VM to box on the truebox servers? This is without MQ2/any cheating programs. I just dont want to have to setup my laptop too.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
So you think its safe to use a VM to box on the truebox servers? This is without MQ2/any cheating programs. I just dont want to have to setup my laptop too.

Depends on how you set up the VM. By default, VMs will be easily detectable. They can probably see your default VMware/VBox/HyperV devices installed by checking the hashes on them to a list of known VM devices. There's also some windows function that's high level that can be used to detect what kind of VM you're using; software like VMProtect can actually prevent VM usage based on that flag.

IMO it's going to be better of with a KVM switch. It's less risk in case they update their detection.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
Depends on how you set up the VM. By default, VMs will be easily detectable. They can probably see your default VMware/VBox/HyperV devices installed by checking the hashes on them to a list of known VM devices. There's also some windows function that's high level that can be used to detect what kind of VM you're using; software like VMProtect can actually prevent VM usage based on that flag.

IMO it's going to be better of with a KVM switch. It's less risk in case they update their detection.

I mean, yeah, busting out the old KVM is probably the easiest method. Just not as mindless as I wanted. Thanks

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
Does anyone actually know someone who has been banned for VMs? I know at least 20+ people using them (including me) and none of us have ever had an issue. I just wonder if someone actually knows someone who has been in trouble for using one from DBG.

Sterling

El Presidente
Does anyone actually know someone who has been banned for VMs? I know at least 20+ people using them (including me) and none of us have ever had an issue. I just wonder if someone actually knows someone who has been in trouble for using one from DBG.
It's probably like everything else. They ignore it until someone gets reported enough or complained about enough. But the stuff that would get that kind of attention brought to yourself would likely get you suspended/banned based on the behavior to begin with.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
Can someone tell me what the proper EQ host login server is? I'm trying to login to live servers, but I don't seem to have a copy of my non EMU EQ folder and I can't find the proper host on the internet. Currently mine says:

[LoginServer]
Host=login.eqemulator.net:5999

Anyone mind checking their eqhost.txt file and telling me what it should say for live?

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I have a thread on boxing tech, but I think the best thing if you use multiple PCs is steam or moonlight streaming. If you want to use just one, use VMs. I think Sterling is correct on them not caring unless people bitch enough.

As far as MQ goes, I know pretty well how it works and the only reason it won't work on Phinigel is because EQMule makes it not work. They can detect it, but only because it's not attempting to hide. A deal was pretty much made to keep it off of phinny and DBG would turn a blind eye for all other servers. I'm not sure yet if the deal will stand for Agnarr. Interestingly, eqmule did make a "light" version very briefly for Phinigel that was basically just EQBC and stick - which would make boxing (in any form) infinitely easier. I'd personally love to have just those 2 modules, but the major concern is that would enable armies and we all know how the TLP crowd feels about those.

Flaw

Molten Core Raider
It was always easier for me to just use multi comps and bind all hotkeys to number pad, and my pagedwn button would tab through targets. I'd tab and slow targets so fast. Pgdown and number pad 4 spam. Close together, so easy.

Beyond controlling like 3 main keyboards two on top row, one below those (easy easy to play three at once) you may set up something to broadcast msgs for all other boxes to cast in sequence off of your main keyboard hotkeys.

Controlling the main three independently was important for me at least. As long as you don't spam all keyboards at once and get disconnected.

Also had hotkeys for all number pads to
/Target main
/Target main
/Follow

With only one /target it seemed to mess up a bit

lost

<Bronze Donator>

Not yet, lol. Think they'd have fixed it after the RG3 guy AEing seb with like 25 accounts on top of him, but yeah.