Everquest - Phinigel server

lost

<Bronze Donator>
Hey everyone!

There has been a lot of feedback around recent adjustments to load balancing for zones (aka /pickzone). We appreciate everyone sharing their experiences with it thus far. We have additional updates coming, and wanted to take a moment to explain what’s changing and why.

Load Balancing

To help with how crowded some zones can get, we have “Load Balancing” tech in many zones on our servers. Once a zone reaches a specific threshold of players, it will spawn another version of itself. The number of players needed to trigger a new load balanced zone is relative to the amount of combatable population in that zone. You will be able to choose which version of the zone you want to enter upon zoning in, or you will be able to use the /pickzone command to choose another version.

The goal of this is to let people group up with friends while reducing crowding, so players can try to find NPCs and things to kill.

An unintended byproduct of our previous system unfortunately allowed multiple zone versions -- some of which were under-populated. Keeping these additional instanced zones up until a server is restarted can cause performance and memory issues for all servers. These zones behave differently than normal instances (LDoN, Raid, etc.) because they aren’t designed for it. Normal instances have spikes of activity that can easily reclaim memory reserved for that zone.

When these full instanced zones are not shutdown, servers require a lot of CPU to constantly update these nearly empty zones of data changes. In addition, these types of zones generally have more internal data than a standard instance and the requirements to keep them running are greater. As a result, it’s important we limit them to ensure performance and additional stability for the game as a whole.

Updates

When an instanced version of a zone falls below a predetermined minimum number of players, the zone will lock and players will get a 15-minute warning that the instance is closing. If players are in the zone when it closes, they will be sent to the base version of the zone along with player corpses.

Testing

This change is planned to go to the test server on (or around) Wednesday, March 8, 2017. The March update is scheduled for Wednesday, March 15, 2017. Once you’ve had a chance to test the new system, we’d appreciate any feedback you have in the Test Update Note section of the forums!

porkchop sandwiches

Potato del Grande
The number of characters necessary to trigger a new load balanced zone (pickzone) has been adjusted to better reflect the amount of combatable population in each zone. In the vast majority of cases, the threshold has been lowered, meaning it will be easier to trigger the new pickzone, requiring fewer characters in a zone to do so, than before the update.

I had to read this twice. Did DBG actually take player feedback and not double down and fuck it up even more?!

Sterling

El Presidente
Also finally adding timestamps to chat if you want them. That's only something that should have happened like 10+ years ago.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
They should just say fuck it and incorporate all passive MQ2 functionality into the game. Hire Mule while they're at it.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Producer's Letter - March 2017

Next up, our plans are weaving together for our new Progression server: Agnarr! We're planning on launching around early summer this year. This is a new time-locked progression server with a unique rule set. Here are a few details:

• Agnarr is a time-locked progression server that will start at the base game and eventually lock at Lost Dungeons of Norrath… permanently
    • We will refer to this server informally as "PoP-locked" even though it will eventually include Legacy of Ykesha and Lost Dungeons of Norrath
  • Expansions automatically unlock 12-weeks per expansion
  • Experience rates will be the same as Ragefire and Lockjaw
  • True Box server rules apply (one account per machine)
  • We will have a limited store that will start with lower-tier consumables (potions & buffs), appearances, and bags – and some mounts will unlock with Luclin, but marketplace offerings will not be too powerful for each expansion's era

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Although not included in that list Agnarr will also have full raid instancing like Phinny. It was confirmed in their Livestream thing today.

Also, you can log in until the end of the month and get a free decked out level 85 (heroic) character. It's handy to have one if your account is a prog server wasteland just to go run around with.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
POP locked, god DAMN. I could play on that shit forever, grinding LDONs and bullshitting with lonely EQ cougars all the day long.

I thought my rage on Phinny last year got it out of my system but maybe I can bard it up one more time if WoW takes an inexplicable turn shitward.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
O.M.G. How long did this take?!?!?!? I could punch someone in the face but i'm too happy. My body is ready.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
i wish they would just release it with every expansion up to LDoN open on day one. so tired of progresion BS.

Sterling

El Presidente
So many people talk about PoP lock being great, but once people realize the endgame is super shallow it'll lose a lot of players.