Everquest - Selos Server - 20th Anniversary Casual Server

Korillo

Molten Core Raider
Isn't that gear still going to someone, though? So even if you have a character who is poorly geared, the overall strength of the guild should stay the same.

Or is it to the point where a lot of gear rots even though it's a clear upgrade for people?

Overall strength wouldn't be the same. The gear isn't rotting, but it will go to someone who doesn't really need it. An alt or "2nd main" or a raider who is already reasonably geared will just pick the item up because it is relatively cheap. Meanwhile, it would be a significant upgrade for the person who is hoarding, but they are unwilling to spend any dkp because they feel they need it all for whatever big item they want.

Honestly there is no real solution to hoarding when it comes to a dkp system. You can add all the decay you want, make all the rules in the world, but the people who want to hoard will hoard. You also have to be careful adding too many rules or conditions. Even if you have the best intentions, eventually it becomes too complicated and people just feel like they are not being allowed to purchase what they want, or that the system is somehow actively working against them.

Ultimately the best solution is to just make a simple system, let people buy what they want, and go out and kill a bunch of shit. Get as much loot as possible, and people won't really have any choice but to get geared. It's EQ, you'll always end up carrying a few people.

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I have seen solutions like bid caps that are then broken by attendance tiebreakers to put an upper limit on hoarding need, item price breakdowns as mentioned, scaling decay on dkp (think a democratic tax policy), or just item reservations. Every instance of that I saw appeared to carry drama. The only effective counter to hoarding with minimal drama is straight up shitting on them. Just publicly say in guildchat "drzztagorn are you going to bid on this? You have 3k dkp and are wearing pog armor." But arguably thats drama in itself.

Also collusion is sometimes worse than judaism in a dkp system, so you have to avoid punitive hoarding penalties causing people to make secret deals. People min bidding on shit and then dumping vs other classes, especially when its frequently the shit classes that have few enough total to easily do it, sucks way more.

I liked merit loot but eq is too big and fast for that now.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Occlusion of sound pls....
No, just one..
Thank you that is it.
Its ok. you are good.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
The dude that is always talking about how he's going to buy the first AHR necklace while also showing up to raids in the same mixture of small bronze and ass day after day is better handled by a conversation or two with leadership than any amount of rules and regulations.

SorrowsEnd

Trakanon Raider
I really enjoy mocking those people openly in voice chat.

Shitting on Corro on Agnarr was some of the most fun I've had in gaming.

Origin

Molten Core Raider
There's a billion DKP models and some of them are good, some of them suck. But even the worst ones are better than Loot Council. Fuck anyone running LC in 2019.

• 1Seriously?
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 1 users

Mrniceguy

Trakanon Raider
Just publicly say in guildchat "drzztagorn are you going to bid on this? You have 3k dkp and are wearing pog armor." But arguably thats drama in itself.

Sig and Mealin convinced me that this doesn't work. In the later case that shit backfired.

Last edited:

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I really enjoy mocking those people openly in voice chat.

Shitting on Corro on Agnarr was some of the most fun I've had in gaming.

Voice cracks me up because the internet tough guys usually have lisps or sound feminine.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

lost

<Bronze Donator>
ya whats this bootstrutter server? its showing on the event calendar as opening same day as selos..it unlocks with luclin too

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Bard main...hahahaha

It's a box class, you won't convince me otherwise.
Bard are incredible in capable hands. In my experience, almost every bard is functionally retarded or a buff bot, so most people haven't seen what they can do. Because their only real weakness is personal dps, there isn't much incentive for the true autists to play them.

It's kinda like enchanters. Such an amazing class, but you can function fine with their buffs, so most people don't look much past that. Nobody cares to play them because that's the part their doing that everyone sees.