Everquest TLP - Aradune and Rizlona Servers (Now with real customer service)

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
What do you think is the most broken / bad / useless / everyone-hates-you combination of race-class-god out there?

Zaide

TLP Idealist
What do you think is the most broken / bad / useless / everyone-hates-you combination of race-class-god out there?

In classic it's probably a Troll SK worshiping Cazic Thule. All good race/classes hate you, and even the evil ones prefer you worship Innoruuk or RZ.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I noticed a rallos wood elf gets attacked by dorf guards. I wonder if ogres would like a rallos wood elf? Probably not.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
It will modify the faction so if you decided you wanted to fix ogre faction as a wood elf it would take less work. There's a faction tab/window now so you can just go look at where you stand with everyone at any time rather than needing to run over and /con them.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
In classic it's probably a Troll SK worshiping Cazic Thule. All good race/classes hate you, and even the evil ones prefer you worship Innoruuk or RZ.

Faction wise, but aren't SKs pretty damn good and Troll regen solid in classic as well?

It would probably be something like Dark Elf Rogue with either Bristlebane or Innoruuk. Rogues are just awful with no redeeming qualities

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
That broke you too? Played an enchanter on Phinigel, and I ground out to 60 on Juggs, and never played the rest of the expansion, or the server for that matter.
It was the excess of time I was spending on EQ that made me stop. If I can find a good balance I like the game, but I'm sure like a lot of other people here, once we get sucked in it's poopsock central for days/weeks/years.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Troll Warrior of an evil god during vanilla would be pretty shitty. You don't have the big disciplines yet to make selecting Warrior worthwhile, your faction is ass in a lot of places and you don't have any utility to mitigate it. Troll SKs have poop for rep but the class is sweet and comes with Hide, Feign Death, Gather Shadows, Shadowstep, etc.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Troll Warrior of an evil god during vanilla would be pretty shitty. You don't have the big disciplines yet to make selecting Warrior worthwhile, your faction is ass in a lot of places and you don't have any utility to mitigate it. Troll SKs have poop for rep but the class is sweet and comes with Hide, Feign Death, Gather Shadows, Shadowstep, etc.

Plus they look awesome.

• 1Like

Crone

It was the excess of time I was spending on EQ that made me stop. If I can find a good balance I like the game, but I'm sure like a lot of other people here, once we get sucked in it's poopsock central for days/weeks/years.
Yea, back on Phini during Kunark I was working 3rd shift, and so on my "weekends" in order to maintain the sleep schedule I'd wake up and hang with the family until they went to bed, and then I'd play from about 10pm-8am a couple nights a week. Not sure how, but I'd then hold off and not play all week. Friends got used to it and would be all see you next weekend where I'd once again, play all through the night. Schedule worked out for EQ, where you have to have at least 4 hours of free time to get anything done.

Regime Regime Probably playing a Ranger this time around!

Crone

I’ve never played a Ranger past lvl 20.

I’m playing a cleric again. I’ve always wanted a rez stickepic.
This is perfect, so you can rez me over and over again as I sacrifice myself for the good of the raid!!

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
For a six box on Mangler, I rolled with Paladin/shaman/druid/bard/monk/mage.

Knowing what I know now, this would be my six box: SK, Enchanter, druid, cleric, monk, mage. I think having a bard box is very useful but I don't think it really shines until Luclin, to be honest. Plus they're super easy to PL, so can always make one later. I prefer druid over wizard for ports/evac because backup healing is useful and their dots are very good (as are their debuffs later on). If you want to take down high value targets (like hate minis, for example), you're going to need efficiency. Wizards kind of suck without FT and focus to elevate them. It was dumb not to have a cleric originally -- they're just too damn good at the primary job of healing.
Why SK + Monk? The monk really seems out of place. SK already give you tanking, pulls, FD splits. Even if you wanted sustained melee dps, going Ranger would give you that + more options. Also, from gear distribution, it would give you a chain user.

If you don't want to do something cheezy (5 Mages + Cleric), consider this group:

Tank/Puller: Warrior, Paladin, SK, Monk
-Pick: SK, Gnome, Plate. The monk would be a better puller and a lot more DPS, but ultimately you are putting a ceiling on how big of raid targets you go after with a leather tank. The SK has no agro issues, FD split pulls, snares, and mitigates a lot of damage with life-steal abilities. It is the best options for a Tank/Puller.

Healer: Cleric, Shaman, Druid
-Pick: Cleric, Dwarf, Plate. The other healers are just pretenders that will have you pulling your hair out with the down-time they cause. The utility they offer will be covered in the other roles by other classes. Heals will be the one thing that kill momentum and cause downtime, and if you have ever tried to Enchanter-Charm with a druid or shaman, you will realize it doesn't really work without CH. Plus everyone needs a 96% rez. So, Cleric is clearly the best option.

DPS 1/Utility
-Pick: Enchanter
, Gnome, Cloth. Charming will provide x3 the DPS any other class will. The mana regen and haste put everyone else over the top. Slows are mostly on par with Shamans % wise. Mezzes & stuns if shit hits the fan. They do all the trade-skill stuff if you want to go down that road (Go Gnome Ench, just incase for Tinkering).

DPS 2/Utility
-Pick: Mage
, High Elf, Cloth. The group is going to rely heavily on the Mage for levels 1-30. It provides the early, solid foundation of tanking and DPS that will never cease to be useful. Summoned gear with focus it very helpfully to beginning groups. Also has the best damage shields which scale incredibly on SK's in later expansions.

DPS 3/Utility
-Pick: Wizard
, High Elf, Cloth. Ports, insanely efficient DD's with lots of mana from the Bard & Ench. Later, you have options for AE group in the Kunark & Luclin eras. Wizards might seem the most lack-luster pick, but the fill the port slot and they are enhanced so much by the Bard/Enchanter combo, that they will feel like the star of the group a lot of times. They are also the only caster that can still do incredible damage to raid-level targets by by-passing their resist checks.

DPS 4/Utility
-Pick: Bard
, Wood Elf, Plate. With a full group of 6, no other class provides as much value as a Bard. If you are going to have a 6 box crew, you simply have to have a Bard. Among the notable things it will provide, Mana/Haste, Move Speed, Enhanced Nukes, 2nd Mez, 2nd Charm, 2nd Pulls, Unbreaking Invis for AFKs, Snares, & Tracking.

Summary
-SK, Cleric, Enchanter, Mage, Wizard, Bard
-Ports, Fastest Travel, Tracking, Best Mana Regen, Best Haste, Best Heals, Best Damage Shields, Best DPS, Rez's, adequate slows/debuffs, and much more. Your HP buffs from your cleric and your caster (includes SK) all stack.The only thing better than Charm DPS, is AE groups in some eras. The Enchanter/Wizard/Mage, give you the ability to destroy content in Kunark-Luclin and get a major advantage. You will get 10+ AA's an hour when a lot of groups will be getting 1. A solid tank and spank is always an option also with a SK & Mage tanking pulls very efficiently. Charm DPS is the most broken thing about EQ and this group takes full advantage of it. There is nothing that this group combo cannot do. From tank & spank, to raid targets, to Charming, to AE... The group does it all and it has no holes.

Last edited:

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
long quote

I'm not sure your suggestions really make sense for TLP, especially initial expansions. Keep in mind, I play my six box without any automation -- six physical computers and screens, no KVM or automation software, no mouse or keyboard macros.

I can't imagine why you'd want to have a ranger over monk for pretty much most of the game I'm familiar with (classic to pop). Monk DPS is always going to be way better and it's not even close until Luclin -- and then you have to deal with having distance with your ranger, which is annoying for a movement based grind. I grant you not having an option for chain class gear kind of sucks, but that's no reason to have one in there. Also, sustained melee will beat out any of the casters except enchanter charm, especially before AA/FT options. Furthermore, it's a lot easier to box, especially for raid targets.

Until Luclin, a Bard and an Enchanter in a group is kind of redundant except for the mana increase. Minimal overhaste, no damage focus song, weak melee songs, poor melee DPS. Also, trying to charm/mez with the enchanter and a bard at the same time with their duration while six boxing seems ridiculously complex for the added DPS/control.

Once Druid gets their mana skin line, you feel the hurt of not having mana song even less. Also, for druids, you have pretty efficient Dots along with massive AC/ATK debuffs -- those do a lot of good on raid targets. In an XP grind group, I grant you that wizard might be better, but when it comes to taking down raid mobs with a single groups, dot efficiency is pretty important for kill time unless you're able to get a lot of AAs and FT, which won't even be an option until Luclin. You also get patch healing and eventually an okay CH. In PoP, there's some raid targets that I doubt I could kill without a druid to add in some CHs and let my max FT/AA cleric med some.

With your group, a bard really doesn't make sense until Pop. You only have one decent melee class, SK, who in a full burn situation does almost as much damage from casting as melee. Bard probably makes a better rampage tank than a monk, though, depending on the gearing you're able to do.

I think, though, over time, you'd want to build up other boxes, too. Having a Shaman, Bard, and Ranger on the sidelines for different raid mobs can be real helpful. Disease slow makes a huge difference on one grouping some bosses (Seru, evolved burrower in Luclin era come to mind offhand) and being able to have very high ranged DPS Luclin+ with the ranger can help avoid some nasty AEs that you'd face on a mage pet or monk. And frankly, bard resists are almost mandatory to do some raid mobs with one group. But most of these considerations don't start becoming present until Luclin, anyway.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Elderan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Going with

- War
- Bard
- Necro
- Mage
- Enchanter
- Cleric

Will be my setup pretty sure

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Confirm/deny, clerics tryna support a charming chanter should roll dark elf to get

Regent Symbol of Innoruuk

Any similar race considerations for the enchanter?

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Confirm/deny, clerics tryna support a charming chanter should roll dark elf to get

The Regent Symbol of Innoruuk is an excellent item and the best of the cycle but the darkness doesn't last very long. It also is a dot so if the Enchanter is looking to mez before recharming they'll conflict. For Charm support it's Ensnare that you really want from either a Druid or a Ranger. it lasts like ten minutes and doesn't break mez.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I think Zaide wins, look at all that hate

brutal.png

• 1Solidarity

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Dark elf for hide ability, gives you a way to break charm without having to cast invis and triggering the spell cooldown. It's also a handy for AFK'ing since it doesn't wear off. Max CHA high elf for stats. Other than that, any agnostic is fine but you may want to pick a convenient origin location (Neriak, Freeport).