Everquest TLP - Aradune and Rizlona Servers (Now with real customer service)

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
Charisma is a garbage stat and anyone recommending it should feel like garbage.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Maul

Dental Dammer
Monl/Bard any good? Both classes I wanted to try, might as well two box

• 1Like

Maul

Dental Dammer
SK or Mage will be able to do more with bard's skills. Mage will be easier to manage.
Yeah Its mostly to compliment the bard, bard is the class I most wanted to play (due to selos!) During all of vanilla and upto planes of power. Just seems an awesome class.

• 1Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Bard/Monk isn't self contained and it isn't almost all of a group by itself despite both classes being very good. Bard/Monk is a raid pairing. Aside from "I want to play each of these classes" which is more than enough justification you would put those two together because always being in a Bard group during raids is so good for Monks that you're just going to bring your own. It's not uncommon to end up with not enough Bards to go around on any given night especially when splitting raid instances. There are many encounters where any dps class that wants to be competitive on the parses can tell how their night is going to go by seeing whether or not they got assigned a Bard.

Maul

Dental Dammer
Bard/Monk isn't self contained and it isn't almost all of a group by itself despite both classes being very good. Bard/Monk is a raid pairing. Aside from "I want to play each of these classes" which is more than enough justification you would put those two together because always being in a Bard group during raids is so good for Monks that you're just going to bring your own. It's not uncommon to end up with not enough Bards to go around on any given night especially when splitting raid instances. There are many encounters where any dps class that wants to be competitive on the parses can tell how their night is going to go by seeing whether or not they got assigned a Bard.
Yeah its mostly so I have the ability to dick around and complete stuff solo with the two characters, I will just raid on the bard only, but I would like to have the ability to do harder content on my own if i wanted too and not be limited to whoever is around at the time, Bard is an odd choice for a pairing for this, so I just want to make sure its a decent partner for it. I suppose a decent pairing would be Mage, since its so strong soloing anyway?

Zaide

TLP Idealist
Monl/Bard any good? Both classes I wanted to try, might as well two box

Just remember if you decide to use the Monk to pull you'll have to turn off bard songs or else you'll chain aggro to the Bard once you FD. If you do go w/ that duo I def recommend pulling strictly via Bard.

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
Just remember if you decide to use the Monk to pull you'll have to turn off bard songs or else you'll chain aggro to the Bard once you FD. If you do go w/ that duo I def recommend pulling strictly via Bard.

I'm fuzzy on this, but Isn't there a way for monk to reject/turn off beneficial songs?

Yeah its mostly so I have the ability to dick around and complete stuff solo with the two characters, I will just raid on the bard only, but I would like to have the ability to do harder content on my own if i wanted too and not be limited to whoever is around at the time, Bard is an odd choice for a pairing for this, so I just want to make sure its a decent partner for it. I suppose a decent pairing would be Mage, since its so strong soloing anyway?

The awesome thing about mage is that the pet becomes a solid tank that can receive your haste and DS. The mage can heal the pet and provide dps...it becomes a bit of a low-maintenance holy trinity.

SK is great with bard, and solves the tank and healing problem, but SK requires a lot more direct management than mage. And I prefer to main the bard because I get better CC options.

i'm sure two boxers better than I am have figured this out, though.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I'm fuzzy on this, but Isn't there a way for monk to reject/turn off beneficial songs?

The awesome thing about mage is that the pet becomes a solid tank that can receive your haste and DS. The mage can heal the pet and provide dps...it becomes a bit of a low-maintenance holy trinity.

SK is great with bard, and solves the tank and healing problem, but SK requires a lot more direct management than mage. And I prefer to main the bard because I get better CC options.

i'm sure two boxers better than I am have figured this out, though.
I mean, sure the pet can receive songs... In GoD. That's a long time to wait for that pairing to play out.

Bard plus another dotting class makes the most sense to me as a duo. Bard and Monk would be good but only if the monk was raid geared.

Cukernaut

Sharpie Markers Aren't Pens
<Gold Donor>
Why SK + Monk? The monk really seems out of place. SK already give you tanking, pulls, FD splits. Even if you wanted sustained melee dps, going Ranger would give you that + more options. Also, from gear distribution, it would give you a chain user.

If you don't want to do something cheezy (5 Mages + Cleric), consider this group:

Tank/Puller: Warrior, Paladin, SK, Monk
-Pick: SK, Gnome, Plate. The monk would be a better puller and a lot more DPS, but ultimately you are putting a ceiling on how big of raid targets you go after with a leather tank. The SK has no agro issues, FD split pulls, snares, and mitigates a lot of damage with life-steal abilities. It is the best options for a Tank/Puller.

Healer: Cleric, Shaman, Druid
-Pick: Cleric, Dwarf, Plate. The other healers are just pretenders that will have you pulling your hair out with the down-time they cause. The utility they offer will be covered in the other roles by other classes. Heals will be the one thing that kill momentum and cause downtime, and if you have ever tried to Enchanter-Charm with a druid or shaman, you will realize it doesn't really work without CH. Plus everyone needs a 96% rez. So, Cleric is clearly the best option.

DPS 1/Utility
-Pick: Enchanter
, Gnome, Cloth. Charming will provide x3 the DPS any other class will. The mana regen and haste put everyone else over the top. Slows are mostly on par with Shamans % wise. Mezzes & stuns if shit hits the fan. They do all the trade-skill stuff if you want to go down that road (Go Gnome Ench, just incase for Tinkering).

DPS 2/Utility
-Pick: Mage
, High Elf, Cloth. The group is going to rely heavily on the Mage for levels 1-30. It provides the early, solid foundation of tanking and DPS that will never cease to be useful. Summoned gear with focus it very helpfully to beginning groups. Also has the best damage shields which scale incredibly on SK's in later expansions.

DPS 3/Utility
-Pick: Wizard
, High Elf, Cloth. Ports, insanely efficient DD's with lots of mana from the Bard & Ench. Later, you have options for AE group in the Kunark & Luclin eras. Wizards might seem the most lack-luster pick, but the fill the port slot and they are enhanced so much by the Bard/Enchanter combo, that they will feel like the star of the group a lot of times. They are also the only caster that can still do incredible damage to raid-level targets by by-passing their resist checks.

DPS 4/Utility
-Pick: Bard
, Wood Elf, Plate. With a full group of 6, no other class provides as much value as a Bard. If you are going to have a 6 box crew, you simply have to have a Bard. Among the notable things it will provide, Mana/Haste, Move Speed, Enhanced Nukes, 2nd Mez, 2nd Charm, 2nd Pulls, Unbreaking Invis for AFKs, Snares, & Tracking.

Summary
-SK, Cleric, Enchanter, Mage, Wizard, Bard
-Ports, Fastest Travel, Tracking, Best Mana Regen, Best Haste, Best Heals, Best Damage Shields, Best DPS, Rez's, adequate slows/debuffs, and much more. Your HP buffs from your cleric and your caster (includes SK) all stack.The only thing better than Charm DPS, is AE groups in some eras. The Enchanter/Wizard/Mage, give you the ability to destroy content in Kunark-Luclin and get a major advantage. You will get 10+ AA's an hour when a lot of groups will be getting 1. A solid tank and spank is always an option also with a SK & Mage tanking pulls very efficiently. Charm DPS is the most broken thing about EQ and this group takes full advantage of it. There is nothing that this group combo cannot do. From tank & spank, to raid targets, to Charming, to AE... The group does it all and it has no holes.

Analysis was tldr -- but the summary is accurate. Thats the 6 box i rolled.

Xevy

Log Wizard
SK Shaman is THE duo outside of charm bullshit Enc/Clr or Enc/Dru or Dru/Clr (animal charm). Monk/Shaman is fine until you need run into the REAL shit and you need SHM healing + lifetaps to stay up. Plus SK burn potential on "OH SHIT" moments is better than Monk. Monk is consistent damage, but their gear is absolute dogshit until basically end game Velious. However, a well made SK can have decent mana, big hp, and some out of era bullshit like Shard of Night 21/24 piercer fucking shit up.

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I don't have a strong opinion on class balance since I've never played TLP but i did post this thread that got a lot of feedback. Who knows how potato anyone is on the official forums though.

Sterling

El Presidente
2 box group depends on what you're looking to do. Chanter/Priest is certainly the strongest in classic, but like SK/Shm is literally good forever as both classes are very strong in basically every era and compliment each other extremely well. Something like Warrior/Cleric will give you a pretty nice leg up for raiding, but playing a warrior in classic just sounds awful.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users