Everquest TLP - Aradune and Rizlona Servers (Now with real customer service)

Jais

Trakanon Raider
Noone championing Pallys? Off heals, stuns, root, paci, buffs, LoH, Flash of Light?

Stuns, root and paci alone lead me to the class though a few TLPs.

I did play a rogue in Live so maybe I like underdogs.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Paladins literally underwhelm until GoD. They can tank in classic though, but as soon as Kunark hits they're donezo. Maybe the odd boss in NToV or one or two Phase 4 bosses in Time, but still usually have an SK tank those. They're god-tier ramp tanks with their bullshit hammer, of course, but if you're duoing I wouldn't bother. They don't have the DPS of an SK or even a warrior, unless you're fighting undead and even then SK have the same spell lines for undead DDs.

Sterling

El Presidente
Noone championing Pallys? Off heals, stuns, root, paci, buffs, LoH, Flash of Light?

Paladins are real strong, but I think SK is generally better in a duo. SKs might be the best all around class on TLP in terms just being awesome in every era and being a good choice as pilot character for a box or whatever.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Paladins have a big toolbox and it only gets bigger as you move through the expansions but it's hard to make use of more than a couple of them on raids. SK damage is always decent so if you've got a roster full of them that's that's typically their problem and not the guild's problem. We need a dozen Cudgels of Venomous Hatred you say? Well you all figure it out and get back to us.

The charm changes will be interesting. You can't charm rares, so RIP AJ snaking and Allisaur leveling, but you also can't dispel charms so GG enchanter gank squads.

Damn. Sometimes charm-stealing a rare was a great way to get back at rude groups. But instancing mostly even eliminates that problem anyway. These kids today and their "instances." Fuckin snowflakes. Contest it, or die trying, I say.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider

Pal is a better group tank than warriors, but their dps is the worst in the game and those things you listed are all situational.

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I don't have a strong opinion on class balance since I've never played TLP but i did post this thread that got a lot of feedback. Who knows how potato anyone is on the official forums though.

Your thread seems to have avoided the usual potatodation (probably because an intelligent textwall up front) but the only thing to keep in mind is that most forumgoers are classic-pop-ists and their perspective is heavily skewed against playing past the 65/70 doldrums. Any duo that does not have a war/pal/sk tank has a shelf life. If it uses a charm pet it becomes limited in content access come 65 and falls off in the 70s without ever really recovering. If it uses a mage as the tank it is offline quite quickly and effectively shelved from "normal" tanking until sof really. Anything without slow eventually is niche.

People saying go paladin are jerking off to the idea of a paladin. They stack the worst of the 3 tanks while providing the lowest grind dps. Let them stew about their bullshit utility; a paladin is a flatly worse choice than the other 2 unless you either make it to where they have splashes or have a guild with nobody else (1/split) who can maintain solid raid attendance while holding a da hammer. If you want to make a tank make a warrior or shadowknight; if you aren't sure of your raid attendance being pristine just go shadowknight.

I'm gonna say something that'll get a lot of my post ignored but.... consider skipping the charm niche. A charm pet is like 2x the dps of a mage or monk at their best, but you are literally married to charming. If you do it as your duo you can find yourself in spots where you can't afk because you brought a pet to you or you have to take the long way because of the pet or you cannot invis around because pet and while it's still stronger than all comers by far it's just ANNOYING to deal with as your only option. You also are taking a class that doesn't stack well on raids and tends to not be overly desired... until charm starts to suck of course and suddenly enchanters start being in short supply.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Confirm/deny, clerics tryna support a charming chanter should roll dark elf to get

Regent Symbol of Innoruuk

Any similar race considerations for the enchanter?

Dark Elf for innate racial Hide, since it breaks charm without activating the global cooldown on recasting. EDIT: Someone already answered this above, oops.

I was gonna go with a lazy mage or ranger 1-box but I think I might try the big effort enc/clr duo, at least for classic and maybe Kunark. Might do enc/dru because I find clerics aggressively boring, plus Ensnare.

Last edited:

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Damn. Sometimes charm-stealing a rare was a great way to get back at rude groups. But instancing mostly even eliminates that problem anyway. These kids today and their "instances." Fuckin snowflakes. Contest it, or die trying, I say.

Just charm the PH if possible :p

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I'm gonna say something that'll get a lot of my post ignored but.... consider skipping the charm niche. A charm pet is like 2x the dps of a mage or monk at their best, but you are literally married to charming. If you do it as your duo you can find yourself in spots where you can't afk because you brought a pet to you or you have to take the long way because of the pet or you cannot invis around because pet and while it's still stronger than all comers by far it's just ANNOYING to deal with as your only option. You also are taking a class that doesn't stack well on raids and tends to not be overly desired... until charm starts to suck of course and suddenly enchanters start being in short supply.
Yeah that's my biggest fear with doing enc/cle, that it's a lot of tedious and situational effort that is overshadowed by the reliability of an sk/sha or mnk/sha duo. But I've got a melee-focused six box and a 4xmage / enc / dru 6box on live so I'm looking to try something new.

And maybe I'm overestimating things but I feel like I won't be that tied to whatever I roll with first. It seems really easy to level new characters from 1 to 65, but I guess I don't know how hard gearing them is if I don't care about best in slot or even raiding really. I'm thinking about rolling a mnk/sha afterward but I'm guessing I'll get to the 30s and wonder wtf I'm doing when I already have a war/brd/sha/3xber team on live.

Last edited:

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yeah that's my biggest fear with doing enc/cle, that it's a lot of tedious and situational effort that is overshadowed by the reliability of an sk/sha or mnk/sha duo. But I've got a melee-focused six box and a 4xmage / enc / dru 6box on live so I'm looking to try something new.

And maybe I'm overestimating things but I feel like I won't be that tied to whatever I roll with first. It seems really easy to level new characters from 1 to 65, but I guess I don't know how hard gearing them is if I don't care about best in slot or even raiding really. I'm thinking about rolling a mnk/sha afterward but I'm guessing I'll get to the 30s and wonder wtf I'm doing when I already have a war/brd/sha/3xber team on live.
On Selo's, where granted the experience rate was higher, I started up and went 1-70 in like 12 hours played. That was pretty slow too, in that we didn't try to maximize it or anything. I was just the 6th man in my buddies 6 box crew. It won't be that easy on Aradune, but still the point stands that you are right, it'll be easy.

Do you want to play either Enc or Cleric solo in raids? or 2 box in raids? If not, I'd say skip it and play something else. I say this because you are again right that eventually the enc/clr duo fades out and at that point you have to give up all the work you put into those characters or keep playing them on their own. If you don't want to do that, I wouldn't waste the time in the beginning.

I'm rolling for the first time a Ranger despite all the memes of shit DPS, and only good for taking death touches. I'll look hella good in Thorny Vine doing it baby!

Zaide

TLP Idealist

With Cleric/Ench you can do some hilarious things that you probably never thought were possible in era just as a duo. Like others have said though the window for that style of play is short.

Monk/Sham used to be the classic duo but the further you go the more the Monk will fall short with tanking even group level mobs. Sk will Dps slower but he is a reliable tank for all but the toughest of named mobs and with a Shaman instead of a cleric you can slow (the most important part) and also contribute some good DPS.

Also, over the last few years I feel like charm has fallen under the gaze of devs more and more. In 2012 an Enchanter/Cleric duo could charm Irak Altil in Fear and duo Cazic Thule in era. As late as 2017 I believe you could duo Chardok Royals in era, and even in 2019 you could charm some really dumb named mobs in places like Velks that let you do incredible DPS. It does seem like they limit this a bit more every server with things like gate/Rez breaking charm, flagging mobs as “rare” and making it impossible to charm most mobs with that flag etc.

So if you go Ench/Cleric go into it knowing that your combo is at the top of the chopping block when it comes time for the nerf bat.

• 1Like

Vedette

<Donor>
Enchanter/Cleric is also going to be the top duo to get a AoE group spot. The cleric pulls, and the enchanter is scripted, so easy. Which is how God intended you to level.

• 1Worf

Maul

Dental Dammer
So I fired up Mangler yesterday to try out some fresh classes to level and see how it is. Tried Bard, getting crushed constantly and its painful as fuck, then tried mage and after a bit of a ball ache, saved the silver for the first few spells, got pet and suddenly you're soloing yellows like they are nothing. The power levels between classes is fucking insane! Somehow I have to drag a bard to 50 though, seeing as how the songs dont appear to effect pets, it seems as if I'm in for a bit of a long haul :(

Mage though, what the fuck!

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
So I fired up Mangler yesterday to try out some fresh classes to level and see how it is. Tried Bard, getting crushed constantly and its painful as fuck, then tried mage and after a bit of a ball ache, saved the silver for the first few spells, got pet and suddenly you're soloing yellows like they are nothing. The power levels between classes is fucking insane! Somehow I have to drag a bard to 50 though, seeing as how the songs dont appear to effect pets, it seems as if I'm in for a bit of a long haul :(

Gotta be better pairs with a bard where the songs actually hit the tank, no? Maybe sk or pal?

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

They rock as a starter character. Needs no gear, solid dps and group desirability, don't die much. However, especially in classic, you're going to eventually run out of places where you can solo effectively because you can't split a camp or handle adds. Boxing a bard should solve all that. Never tried that particular combo but I think it could do well.