Ex Machina

ex-genj

Golden Squire
I asked the college kid at the counter what percent of customers pronounced the name of the movie correctly was and he said "10%" yeah...

Column_sl

shitlord
Wow, that was a great movie. Alex Garland's directorial debut, and he hit a home run.
He really kept it tense the whole way through.

If I had to question anything..

Why didn't Nathan have a fail safe in case one of his A.I's try to do harm to him. You could see in one of the previous videos one was very violent.

Unless he wanted this to happen. He talks earlier about emerging A.I. ,and how it a conclusion that they will evolve past us. Maybe he set up the rat experiment to allow the A.I. to pass this one last test to see if it was worthy, and be released in the wild with no one knowing of it's existence. The person or event which provides a sudden, unexpected solution to a story.

I would recommend this movie to anybody who is interested in more artistic story telling. If you are anything like Astrocreep stay far away tho.

Column_sl

shitlord
Not that the same helicopter guy just flew her off no questions asked?
Well the guy in the helicopter was only assigned a pick up. They set up earlier that he couldn't get close to the compound, or knew anything about it.

So why would he ask questions

I liked there wasnt certain twist I was expecting to happen
That was a beautiful scene in the movie. Why wouldn't a guy that smart question his own existence. I'm glad they tricked the audience to thinking that was the twist. Good shit.

spronk

FPS noob
bluray rips are out. decent movie, don't think it deserves the 91% RT rating its gotten though. Its more an artistic movie than a deep exploration of how AI might be created. Some really nice tits in the movie. Pretty slow paced movie so I'd definitely recommend seeing it at home vs in theater.

I don't like the anthropomorphizing of AIs wanting things humans want (body, touching, seeing nature, etc) so that was a disappointment to me and the entire setup of the movie is really clumsy but the middle stuff is all good.

Both the main male leads are going to be in the new star wars movie too.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
I liked it. Some good, some bad, but the behavior of the characters seemed plausible.

I have no issue with the AI wanting to go out and see people and nature, and I was really happy that the robot wasn't romantic or evil. It didn't even seem to have a moral nature. That's more interesting/unpredictable/dangerous than many AI come across.

DMK_sl

shitlord
This movie was fucken brilliant.

I don't like the anthropomorphizing of AIs wanting things humans want (body, touching, seeing nature, etc) so that was a disappointment to me and the entire setup of the movie is really clumsy but the middle stuff is all good.
What do you think an A.I is going to do when created by a human? Of course the first versions of A.I will replicate a lot of human tendencies it's our only reference point a long with the fact we have an ego..

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I was a great movie visually and sound wise. Directing was great. Writing was great. Acting was great. Story was kinda average.

Simas_sl

shitlord
decent movie, don't think it deserves the 91% RT rating its gotten though.
I feel like many people misunderstand this about RT. It rates the percent of positive reviews only, not the strength of those reviews. 91% three star reviews shows the same as 91% five star reviews. If you click through RT and read the reviews you'll see lots of reviewers thought it was decent, not great, but very few thought it was bad.

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
I don't understand this, not saying you are wrong or anything, I just don't understand. Why wouldn't an AI, specifically one created in this movie, want what humans have? It isn't presented that she really has any access to data other than what she is given and was programmed with, everything has to be gleaned from experience.

She is curious and was made in the image of man and is self aware of her differences. Nathan wasn't creating Skynet, he was trying to replicate human consciousness. I can see not wanting to see some AI to want so badly to be human, look human, act human, etc, but this AI was specially made to fool humans into believing she was one.

I don't know how much we need tags since this has been out a while now but,

She even expresses her humanity (or at least the reflection of her creator being a huge asshole) in the final scenes in her betrayal of Caleb.

Edit: Saw this on reddit too, I remember seeing the code on the screen and wondering why it was there since it never seemed to come up again:

Secret code in Ex Machina : movies

spronk

FPS noob
I don't understand this, not saying you are wrong or anything, I just don't understand. Why wouldn't an AI, specifically one created in this movie, want what humans have? It isn't presented that she really has any access to data other than what she is given and was programmed with, everything has to be gleaned from experience.

She is curious and was made in the image of man and is self aware of her differences. Nathan wasn't creating Skynet, he was trying to replicate human consciousness. I can see not wanting to see some AI to want so badly to be human, look human, act human, etc, but this AI was specially made to fool humans into believing she was one.
Yeah I don't have a huge problem with what happened in the movie and its totally fine the way it happened. its just that pretty much every AI movie of the last few years has gone down the same road - Automata, Chappie, Transcendence, The Machine, etc. I actually think Her has done it best, where the AIs want to emulate humanity initially but quickly go so far beyond us as to be impossible to understand.

I guess thats the movie I want, what happens when the AI evolves past us and then starts setting its own goals beyond being a better human. Sadly all the movies end at the point where I want a movie to start. I guess in a few years we'll start seeing the sequels.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
The worst part of this movie was when nathan said that AI (the type that he created, strong AI) was always inventible. After that point i kind of stopped taking the movie seriously and just waited for robot sex.

Also the butchering of the "Turing Test" sucked dick but they did that right away so whatever.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Mad max and then this. I'm on a roll with movies this weekend

The pacing and general vibe I got from this movie reminded me of Moon.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
From wiki
Garland wanted the movie to be made on the smallest possible budget for creative reasons:

"The reason to keep this small was simply because this story and the way I wanted to execute the story required pretty much total creative freedom, and the way to get creative freedom at the level of film I work in is to make it as cheaply as you can. So, it's to do with protecting the movie basically. I mean, you can imagine if somebody said-and by the way,people have said this kind of thing-if we inject a car chase or something like that, you know, or a big fight in a helicopter and then the helicopter crashes and people jump out and carry on the fight on the ground and all that kind of stuff, it would interfere hugely tonally and actually thematically on every level with this film. So, the budget and the contained quality were about having the freedom to do it properly."
"This is an interesting script and all, but could you put in some explosions like BSSSSSHHHFFFFKABOOOOM! FFSSSSSSHHHHBAAAAAM! You know, stuff like that."

Seriously, fuck hollywood right in the teeth.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Good movie but if I lived in the middle of nowhere inside a concrete bunker with no other human within 500 miles I probably wouldn't program my blast-proof doors to seal me into my airtight room every time the power went out.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Awesome movie and I think the story was relatable, so I give it a pass as the weak link in the movie. I have seen other material from all the parties involved in this movie and always enjoyed their movies, and this one was no exception. If you want an action based short attention span popcorn movie, then skip this. If you enjoyed a movie that made you think with slow immersion into the material, then this is an excellent choice. Too bad its up against Ultron and Mad Max.