Extraction (2020)

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
ending stuff
i think it's totally fine for him to be alive, outside of it being pretty unrealistic based on the type of wounds he had, but whatever... it doesn't screw up his arc, is what i mean. his whole thing is that he wanted to die because he wasn't there for his kid. if that IS him at the end, then it shows that he gave up his life (metaphorically) to be with the new kid. he's not a merc anymore, he can't be. the merc died, now he can be a father.

but it also could make sense that it's just the kid seeing hemsworth as a blurry memory... though i don't quite buy that, since the kid makes the point, you don't drown from falling in the water, you drown from staying in it. when hemsworth sits at the bottom of the lake, we never actually see him get out of the water, but we DO see the kid get out of the water, making the point that he isn't wallowing in guilt or self-pity, he's moving forward. which would mean he SHOULDN'T see hemsworth all fuzzy.

really enjoyed it. story was super thin but it was serviceable. i remember listening to the russo's when they made civil war, that actions scenes need to be in service of the story, otherwise who cares. this movie is REALLY pushing the boundaries on that. the actions scenes all made sense for why they were happening, but i wonder how much less we would have cared about them if the main character was someone the audience didn't already have a connection with. chris hemsworth is very much like the rock, in that even if he's in a bad movie, HE'S still enjoyable because of how charming he is.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
The ending of this movie pissed me off as much as the end of sicario 2 did.

Little shit that shot Helmsworth should not have survived the movie, much less land a lethal shot on Helmsworth

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
If you look at this film broadly, the only thing is really has going for it is the inventiveness of action sequences: long takes and hand to hand fighting, but thats not enough to carry a film.

Everything else is bad: the hostage is about as unlikable as it gets (some rich indian kid whos father is a criminal drug lord), plot nonexistent, villains/adversaries are forgettable, 95% of enemies are wearing full tactical kit including facemasks so you dont even care about the kills by the time the 5th guy dies, theyre all just meaningless, faceless cannon fodder.

Its the same conundrum as John Wick, you have stunt guys working as directors, who just want to stage stunts for 2 hours and thats all the movie becomes. First JW is fun, the next 2 are tiresome. First extraction is barely decent, and the quality will only go down.

• 1Like
  • 1Great Review
Reactions: 1 users

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
who just want to stage stunts for 2 hours and thats all the movie becomes.
giphy.gif

First JW is fun, the next 2 are tiresome
giphy.gif

I'm just funning, I can see how some people might find them tiresome. Me? I love JW1 and consider it one of the best action movies made especially in recent memory however I can see how 2 is not as good and 3 is an action schlockfest. I love 3, I love good action schlock, and think it is almost as good 1 just for its action alone.

Your review makes me want to watch this movie, I love a good "leave your brain at the door" "popcorn" movie at times and this sounds like it might fit that bill.

Last edited:

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
It has its audience for sure, ive just seen this type of film too many times by now i guess.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
it fills that weird new niche where if you went to theaters and paid the extra money and time that involves you'd say it sucks, but if you're at home this, The Old Guard, Palm Springs, etc are "fine" ways to pass 2 hours especially if its all rolled into your netflix/hulu sub.

Everything has happened before, these are basically the 80s made-for-TV movies starring John Ritter and Raymond Burr but now we get actual movie stars in em. I honestly wouldn't know what I say is better, Extraction or Bad Boys 3 for example.

• 1Like

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
it fills that weird new niche where if you went to theaters and paid the extra money and time that involves you'd say it sucks, but if you're at home this, The Old Guard, Palm Springs, etc are "fine" ways to pass 2 hours especially if its all rolled into your netflix/hulu sub.

Everything has happened before, these are basically the 80s made-for-TV movies starring John Ritter and Raymond Burr but now we get actual movie stars in em. I honestly wouldn't know what I say is better, Extraction or Bad Boys 3 for example.

Yeah thats a good point. Reviews would range from "Good enough" if someone lets you watch it for basically free from the comfort of your own home, to "dont waste your money" if you had to schlep to your local AMC and shell out $40 to watch it with your gf/wife.

I honestly still dont understand the financials about these projects that Netflix does. This is supposedly their best performing film and something like 100 million households have watched it. But how are they exactly monetizing this? This will never be sold or rented separately, so no money there. No one will sign up for Netflix just to watch this, so no new subs. And no one will refuse to cancel their subscription just because they wont be able to see Extraction again, so no retention bucks. Same for Birdbox and Old Guard, etc.

I get that they want to be build their own library of original content to lessen their dependence on movie and TV studios, but churning out forgettable $70M action flicks seems to be a really bad way to go about it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Goatface

did not see this, but they released a clip a couple of months ago adding 20 second to the ending

Tyler Rake is back! Chris Hemsworth returns in Extraction 2 as Rake is sent on another deadly rescue mission.
FGLG5w5UcAcEmrN

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
At some family thing ( some months back ), we got into a "Seen any good films lately"

I mentioned Extraction, I liked it. My sister turned up her nose. "eew, I saw that, it just long fight scenes with endless guys getting shot in the head"

Me:

thats why im here.jpg

And PUMPED for a second!!

• 1Like

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
There is now way he lived after falling into that river, even if he didn't have any wounds to get infected, rivers in India are like 80% shit and 20% garbage just looking at them probably gives you sepsis

• 1Worf

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
There is now way he lived after falling into that river, even if he didn't have any wounds to get infected, rivers in India are like 80% shit and 20% garbage just looking at them probably gives you sepsis
Ones near cities are, other ones are untouched