Factorio

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Holy shit man. Less than 3 weeks ago you had half that playtime. You're apparently putting in like 9-10 hour days every day.
3 of us playing, but ive played quite a bit :)

1714421505005.png

1714421514421.png

Those are 2 week / lifetime stats and we're 5 weeks into this playthrough.

There's one more who's time would exceed mine but his stats are private.

Currently making the first tier of astronomic and material sciences. Probably energy 1 and either material 2 or astro 2 next, which would put us on a path towards playing with the space elevator I think.

The imersite crystal sink that is the material science research is just, oof. Think 2 complete rockets of imersite yielded something like 300 research.

As raw resource demands increase in orbit I've started making more things on the surface and sending them up. The raw cards that become data cards was the first I did that with because of the volume of stuff like iron plates. Think I'll do the blue engines on the surface too soon.

I'm still learning really basic things with the logistics. For example I realized I could have 2 belts look at each other and have one only go if the other is empty, so that lets me prioritize the core drill-derived coal instead of them trying to merge and the core-drill coal backing up. Much better to let mined stuff sit there and trains take a break than for trickle of resources from the core drill to stop. Remedial things for what you guys are doing, but concepts I'll apply later and on future playthroughs forever.

Heading to a conference tomorrow and new wow classic expansion... so will be easing up a bit on this probably.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
3 of us playing, but ive played quite a bit :)

View attachment 526755
View attachment 526756

Those are 2 week / lifetime stats and we're 5 weeks into this playthrough.

There's one more who's time would exceed mine but his stats are private.

Currently making the first tier of astronomic and material sciences. Probably energy 1 and either material 2 or astro 2 next, which would put us on a path towards playing with the space elevator I think.

The imersite crystal sink that is the material science research is just, oof. Think 2 complete rockets of imersite yielded something like 300 research.

As raw resource demands increase in orbit I've started making more things on the surface and sending them up. The raw cards that become data cards was the first I did that with because of the volume of stuff like iron plates. Think I'll do the blue engines on the surface too soon.

I'm still learning really basic things with the logistics. For example I realized I could have 2 belts look at each other and have one only go if the other is empty, so that lets me prioritize the core drill-derived coal instead of them trying to merge and the core-drill coal backing up. Much better to let mined stuff sit there and trains take a break than for trickle of resources from the core drill to stop. Remedial things for what you guys are doing, but concepts I'll apply later and on future playthroughs forever.

Heading to a conference tomorrow and new wow classic expansion... so will be easing up a bit on this probably.
Some 800 hours into Factorio and I'm still learning little tricks to improve my factories. Most of it is UPS related though.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Behold, Arco Balancer Mk. I

BalancingMk_I.jpg

It uses a rules based system ( Rule-based system - Wikipedia ). Basically for each of the 10 balancing machines,

1. If output too low, we want to run this machine
  2. If input is too high, we want to run this machine
  3. If we want to run this machine and have enough of the input, then run this machine by requesting its inputs.
It works well but I haven't really seen what other people have built so I don't know how other people have solved this. It also seems like the balancer has to run a bunch of cycles every time the other factories that Naquium Tesseracts or sciences run and disrupt the natural order. The one thing I wanted to integrate was some logic to defer running a given machine if it has too much of the output.

The other idea I had was to use a score-based system that would score the inputs and outputs and run if it exceeds some threshold. I think I'll let this one run and continue building my factory.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Rebuilt my nauvis research base. Don't mind the huge yellow storehouses, they are just holding glut and will be depleted as the factory produces stuff. This uses the "box of chocolates" approach I've been using in addition to the compressed requester train stations. I wish there was a way to have multiple items in a train provider, but I don't know how with LTN. Maybe Cybersyn has that???

Biggest new thing I'm trying out is maximizing usage of underground belts. I heard it improves UPS but after reading about it I'm not so sure. I like the aesthetics of long straight lines of belts over a bunch of undeground belts, so I probably won't use this in the future.

full res:

53691782572_ad35fce1b7_k.jpg

Last edited:

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
'oh ill get to setting up a decontamination process later' I thought, a week or two ago as I dropped a couple boxes to corral it as I setup material science.

This week I setup a better pipeline of imersite and the material testing pack production on the surface, and the above thought came back to haunt me when I got a logistics out of room warning shortly after launching a 2nd full rocket to orbit...

1714857371199.png

'oops'

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
It's all good. You've got a good supply to turn into material testing packs for those material sciences.

I've basically burnt out on this playthrough. Naquium is stupid. All the processing and amounts required are already stupid, but then to make them only stack to 10? C'mon man.

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
Yeah, I've been meaning to look into a path to building those in orbit to see if it's viable with our current setup, have plenty of other things soaking up the resources that does generate at the moment though.

Think I'm going to work on material 2 and energy next, or whatever it is to get us to the space elevator. And then astro 2 which I think will get us to the first level of spaceships. Got a few days off, if im not playing the Cata pre-patch on classic or dealing with kids it'll probably be this.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
You should definitely setup one on Nauvis for testing packs. But you'll pump out so much scrap in orbit it'd be stupid to ship it back down, reprocess it, and then ship it back up.

Especially when you start considering contaminated scrap. If you process it on Nauvis, now you've also got to shuttle up contaminated water for no apparent reason. And I'd have to look, but that may not even be a thing you can do outside of space, since I think cosmic water is in the loop there at some point.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Rebuilt my nauvis research base. Don't mind the huge yellow storehouses, they are just holding glut and will be depleted as the factory produces stuff. This uses the "box of chocolates" approach I've been using in addition to the compressed requester train stations. I wish there was a way to have multiple items in a train provider, but I don't know how with LTN. Maybe Cybersyn has that???

Biggest new thing I'm trying out is maximizing usage of underground belts. I heard it improves UPS but after reading about it I'm not so sure. I like the aesthetics of long straight lines of belts over a bunch of undeground belts, so I probably won't use this in the future.

the biggest thing about belts, is that they are more "Optimized" when the belt is full with 1-Item , (This has been stated by Wube several times) it's when you start mixing items on 1-belt system(Aka Sushi Systems are the most horrendous TPS lag you could ever create), Undergrounds help, but full 1-item belts are just better optimized..

Eventually though.. sadly Bots > Belts after a point.. Trains can help but those have different problems.

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
You should definitely setup one on Nauvis for testing packs. But you'll pump out so much scrap in orbit it'd be stupid to ship it back down, reprocess it, and then ship it back up.

Especially when you start considering contaminated scrap. If you process it on Nauvis, now you've also got to shuttle up contaminated water for no apparent reason. And I'd have to look, but that may not even be a thing you can do outside of space, since I think cosmic water is in the loop there at some point.

Oh no, all scrap I process in orbit. In fact, I don't think we do anything with scrap on the surface and stashed some on a rocket earlier just because I had the room and knew it'd give me some oil and scraps of other materials. Rare metals goes to the motors for belts, so does iron plates (and 1-2 other uses I think) and copper plates go to wire or cosmic gel I think. Then today I added a decontamination loot, which ultimately saves the bio stuff I have no use for yet and adds more scrap to the existing setup.

It's the material packs im creating on Nauvis and shipping up, otherwise I'd have to ship so many resources to orbit to do it there

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Here's my scrap processing on Nauvis. When material research is going this place gets buuusy. Looking at it now I'm not sure why I built it on Nauvis instead of Nauvis Orbit, since I believe scrap is less dense than the materials it turns into.

I think this base was my first time creating a "side buffer" with a simple circuit that puts materials into the buffer only if the train stop chest is full, and then extracts from the buffer when the train stop chest is emptyish. This has the benefit of getting full less quickly while not incurring a UPS cost of generally moving materials through a huge buffer.

Before I got a space elevator I remember just storing all the copper/iron etc in a massive number of chests that I did fuck all with, lol. I should have processed it into plates onsite and don't remember why I did it that way.

I'll probably copy-paste this quadrant into orbit.

nauvis_scrap.jpg

Last edited:

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
As usual, much cleaner than my ad hoc, cramped setup in orbit. I just don't see a meaningful amount of return on scrap for whatever reason. Apologies for the blown out HDR image. Scrap enters the system from the blue requestor then spits out the resources to the smelters which eject it back out via purple chests. On the right side of the screen is the new recycle setup I just put down for the contaminated stuff.

1714952167820.png

What I mean for not a meaningful return, current stats on the above:

111,000 scrap processed
494 iron plates
500 copper plates
576 raw materials

So the rest has been heavy oil or stone.

It's not that im getting nothing out of the process, but hardly anything I can rely on for something else. Those are all materials being used, so they're seamlessly being absored into:

- small electric motors (rare metals, iron plates) (considering moving this to Nauvis and shipping them up w/ the material packs and rough data storage substrate)
- copper wire
- 25 dergree thermofluid (iron and copper plates)
- blank data cards (copper plates)

..and probably a couple others. Bots just sorting them out from there

I guess, if I feel I might be able to get to the space elevator in the next week or two, all of these decisions could take a bit of a turn? heh. Can I really just run trains up/down the elevator? That feels like such a massive change, heh.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Like with everything Factorio, once you get further you'll start getting fuckloads of scrap and it'll pump out a pretty significant amount of resources. You've gotta do something with it all or it will pile up massively.

• 1Like

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
As usual, much cleaner than my ad hoc, cramped setup in orbit. I just don't see a meaningful amount of return on scrap for whatever reason. Apologies for the blown out HDR image. Scrap enters the system from the blue requestor then spits out the resources to the smelters which eject it back out via purple chests. On the right side of the screen is the new recycle setup I just put down for the contaminated stuff.

There is a Data set you need for Material science later, you are literally throwing full trains at Iridium Girders and taking the Stress data you get from that for material science.

You get so much scrap out of that 1 Data set, that if you don't have a robust enough scrap processing setup, it will choke the whole factory.

• 1Like

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
So how many surfaces / orbits do you guys have a presence on? As a multiplayer game we're pushing 250mb of maps to download everytime we load the game now. We have 8 bases/outposts currently. Currently need to get a better source of iridite so probably setup a new outpost dedicated for that and we have touched vitamelange yet so that'll require another. So we'll be hitting double digits shortly.

Edit: and yeah.. i take it all back, im drowning in scrap. Need to redo that meager setup, lol. I send up a rocket of material packs and suddenly im at over 20k scrap and counting in all my random boxes and shit as my current setup slowly catches up.

Last edited:

Tholan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Never played krastorio or SE, but is there a reason why your trains are that short ? I usually try to have a t leas 6-8 wagons in the original game, is there some super wagon there or there is so few items built that you can't wait for a full train to load ?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Never played krastorio or SE, but is there a reason why your trains are that short ? I usually try to have a t leas 6-8 wagons in the original game, is there some super wagon there or there is so few items built that you can't wait for a full train to load ?
In my case, almost all my trains are 1-1 (1 engine, 1 cargo). I have some areas where I use 1-4-1 (1 engine, 4 cargo, 1 engine). Initially I had most things at 1-4-1, and it worked fine but for most items the volume being transported is so low that it's not justified. If you have multiple cargo wagons they have to be split from your source factory/mine and then merged into your destination factory. This is usually done using belts or containers which incurs a UPS cost. You additionally need a much larger train and station footprint, which will increase the size of your factory. After unlocking artillery, your factory size isn't a big deal, but I find the closer I am to my mall the more enjoyable it is to build stuff because I don't have to wait as long for logistics bots. Finally, so many resources I don't want to have a bunch of containers full of stuff to transport around. Even to the point where many of my trains transport only 10 stacks at a time. I might relax this later, but all my space sciences only transport 10 stacks, and many of my super expensive resources are at 10 stacks. Embracing 1-1 simplifies factories dramatically, as you can see from my screenshots of factories that occupy a small space and have some ~10 inputs/outputs.

Finally, 1-1 throughput in congested and small networks is suprisingly good compared to 1-4-1. In congested networks the trains spend so little time at top speed that the higher acceleration of the smaller trains wins against the higher volume of the 1-4-1 trains. This could be offset by using 2-4-2 trains, but then you exacerbate the problems with larger stations. Long ass trains excel at long ass distances, which SE doesn't really have.

I'm working on a new naquitite factory that will probably use 2-5-2 trains on a dedicated railway network with a dedicated space elevator and I'm really excited about it.

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
So how many surfaces / orbits do you guys have a presence on? As a multiplayer game we're pushing 250mb of maps to download everytime we load the game now. We have 8 bases/outposts currently. Currently need to get a better source of iridite so probably setup a new outpost dedicated for that and we have touched vitamelange yet so that'll require another. So we'll be hitting double digits shortly.

Edit: and yeah.. i take it all back, im drowning in scrap. Need to redo that meager setup, lol. I send up a rocket of material packs and suddenly im at over 20k scrap and counting in all my random boxes and shit as my current setup slowly catches up.
I'll probably end up with an outpost for every core fragment product except iron, copper, rare earth metals (from Krastorio2) and coal. Then a couple for asteroid belts, 1 for asteroid fields and another for sun orbit for my energy glaive farm.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Tholan Tholan Note that my railway network hasn't been truly stressed because my realized SPM production has always been way lower than what my factories can produce. And most factories are only active intermittently as I am moving through the tech tree. I've almost finished the tech tree and when I do I'm going to try to get a consistent SPM which will activate all my factories. At that point I might realize my rail network is grossly underprovisioned and have to rethink a lot. We'll see!