Factorio

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
That would have been me if my first experience wasn't multiplayer w/ friends who'd already been playing it for 20 hours. Gaming ADD would have had me uninstall and request a refund before I got Iron Ore automated.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I picked up on the mechanics pretty quick. Though, this might be because of all the modded MC hours I've put in.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
I caved and got it the other day. I actually found it kindof, ehhhhhh. Didnt remotely grab me like, Rimworld, etc.
I put in only about an hour, since I don't have time to go balls deep ATM and I can understand that sentiment. The game walks you through the bare basics in the tutorial, but even the first campaign is a huge jump in complexity, which the game explains very poorly. The best example is effective mining in Minecraft - pretty much every advanced player knows the layout, but if you don't, nothing much is happening. Here the game is all about expanding on the base automation and making it better, more effective and so on, but they don't really teach you that. That first level brought about thousand different questions and very few answers. How do I expand on what the authors built for me ? Should I even expand on that ? Am I fucking it up ? I think I'm fucking it up... But it sort of works, so I should just sit here and wait until stuff finishes building, which is boring.

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
Factorio 0.15.0 released.

Have to opt into the branch under betas, also may need to turn off cloud saves or it wont start.

Last edited:

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
Yup. Partial patch notes (excluding modding/scripting)

Factorio 0.15.0 • r/factorio

Configuration
  • Configuration has been reset.
Major features
  • Research overhaul. 4 new science packs: Military, Production, High-tech and space. > Space science packs are generating by launching a rocket. > Added infinite researches.
  • Nuclear power.
  • Blueprint library: Allows for keeping players blueprints between individual game saves and allows sharing blueprints in multiplayer games.
Features
  • Map Interaction improvements: > Selectable map overlays: logistics networks, pollution, electric network, turret range, etc. > Train stations and trains can be opened by clicking them while in the map view. > Zoom to the world view from the map. It only shows parts of the map covered by radar or other players though. > Custom map markers can be added by the players.
  • Added wagon for transporting fluids. > One side of pump can connect to the fluid wagon, the other side has to be connected to something else.
  • When dying in multiplayer you leave behind a body with your items that slowly degrades.
  • Added infinite mining productivity research, each tier increases mining productivity by 2%.
  • Fuel type now affects vehicle acceleration and top speed.
  • Added coal liquefaction oil processing recipe.
  • Added Pipette Tool. Picks up items from your inventory used to build the currently selected entity. For resources it will select the fastest available resource extractor.
  • Mini tutorials. Small missions that explain some of the game mechanics. The current content is a testing sample and it only covers trains.
  • New scenarios: PvP and Wave defense.
Graphics
  • Added high graphics quality option. In this settings the following list of things will have double resolution: Car, Trains, Rails, Rail signals, Train stop, Transport belts, Underground belts, Splitters, Pipes, Steam engine, Assembling machines, Oil refinery, Chemical plant, Mining drill, Furnaces, Resources
  • New ore graphics that makes the ore patches look less tiled.
  • Tweaked the GUI graphics.
  • Decreased the size of the recipe icons on assembling machine by 23%.
Minor features
  • Fast in game interactions like fast inserting into/from entity and copy paste can be done by dragging instead of having to click one at a time.
  • Build-by-moving for electric poles now accounts for covering all unpowered entities on the way.
  • Fast replacing input piece of underground belt will also fast replace ouput piece if possible.
  • Added support for setting player color from the /color command using Lua syntax: {r=...g=...,b=...,a=...}
  • Added warning for situation when robots don't have storage place to put items in the logistics network.
  • Pumps show their direction in the detailed view.
  • Belts and pipes show correct connections when building a bluprint.
  • Technologies show the required science packs below the icons in the technology GUI list.
  • Technologies are sorted by the science packs needed.
  • Added /screenshot command - takes a screenshot of your current game screen.
  • Added support for equipment grids in the map editor.
  • The build rotation of each blueprint is remembered independently of the general item build rotation.
  • Infinite resource minimal yield is calculated using the initial resource amount and the prototype minimum yield.
  • Added optional filters to the deconstruction planner.
  • Copying from assembling machines to filter inserters will set the filters to the ingredients of the assembling machine recipe.
  • Combat robots and construction robots are maintained between sessions in multiplayer and when changing surfaces.
  • Added reverse-rotate.
  • Offshore pump and generator show pumping speed/fluid usage.
  • Alternative select with blueprints (shift + select) skips the blueprint setup GUI.
  • Mining rails is disabled if mining starts with trains or gates.
  • Toggle fullscreen using Alt + Enter.
  • Added "f"/"force" option to the /players command
  • Added Logistic networks GUI containing a list of all networks and contents with search (opened by the L key).
  • Added /open command - opens another players inventory if you're an admin.
  • Added /alerts command - configures alerts for your player.
  • Added /mute-programmable-speaker command - disables global sounds created by the Programmable Speaker entity.
  • Added /seed command - prints the map seed.
  • Added fluids to the production GUI.
  • Added kill statistics GUI.
  • Added enable/disable all mods button to the mod manager GUI.
  • Added automatic barreling support for all fluids.
  • Cargo wagons can have settings copied from any distance like Locomotives.
  • Added the ability to auto-launch the rocket.
  • Train stops can be colored like trains.
  • Fish can be collected by robots.
  • Extended map generator settings to include an advanced section.
  • Added map generator presets.
  • Show fog-of-war and radar radius when holding radar in cursor.
  • Seed for map creation on the headless server can be specified via map-gen-settings.json
  • Damaged items merge into one stack, the health of the stack will be the average of the items.
  • Added server whitelist support -- see the /whitelist console command.
  • Added /banlist command to operate on the banlist, in addition to the pre-existing /ban and /unban commands.
  • Added "favourite" feature in public games list: Keep your favourite servers at the top of the list.
  • Added /permissions command for managing permissions in a multiplayer game.
  • Added ability to change individual inserter stack size bonuses through GUI or the circuit network.
  • Added ability to export and import blueprints, blueprint books, and deconstruction planners as strings.
  • Server console will print JOIN and LEAVE messages for players joining or leaving.
  • Server console messages that aren't a part of the main log can be logged separately by running the server with the --console-log option.
  • Translatable energy units and SI prefixes (eg. "100 ГВт").
  • Furnaces and assembling machines show the amount of products finished.
Balancing
  • Increased the rate at which resources grow with distance from the center by 50%.
  • Crude oil balancing: Halved the resource amount on the map Increased the minimum yield from 10% to 20% Halved the rate of depletion. Doubled the starting yield. Fixed that the mechanics of increasing richness with distance from start wasn't working for crude oil.
  • Increased module inventory size of Chemical plant and oil refinery from 2 to 3.
  • Increased logistic slot/trash slot count from 5 per level to 6 per level.
  • Removed processing unit from the modular armor and portable solar panel recipe.
  • Increased the pump pumping speed 4 times.
  • Reduced the plastic bar recipe requirement of petroleum gas 30 -> 20
  • Reduced the electric engine recipe requirement of lubricant 20 -> 15
  • Reduced the electric furnace recipe requirement of steel 15 -> 10
  • Reduced the steel furnace recipe requirement of steel 8 -> 6
  • Reduced the pumpjack recipe requirement of steel 10 -> 5
  • Reduced crafting time: Engine unit + electric engine unit: 20 -> 10 Pumpjack 10 -> 8 Advanced circuit 8 -> 6 Processing unit 15 -> 10 Cracking recipes 5 -> 3
  • Increased stack size of stone wall pipe and belts 50 -> 100
  • Increased the maximum power production of steam engine from 510kW to 900kW
  • Doubled the heat capacity of water from 0.1kJ per degree per liter to 0.2kJ.
  • Increased the substation supply area (16X16 to 18X18) and wire reach (16 to 18).
Combat Balancing
  • Player regains health at a much higher rate, but only after being out of combat for 10 seconds.
  • Discharge defense equipment pushes back, stuns and damages nearby enemies when activated by the remote.
  • Decreased the size of Discharge defense equipment from 3x3 to 2x2.
  • Greatly increased the damage of Personal Laser Defense Equipment.
  • Flamthrower gun has a minimum range of 3.
  • The flames created on ground from the flamethrower significantly increase in duration and damage when more fuel is added to them by firing at the same spot.
  • Increased fire resistance of biter bases.
  • Increased the health of player non-combat buildings.
  • Increased player health from 100 to 250.
  • Increased collected amount and effectiveness of Fish.
  • Increased the damage, range and health of biters worms.
  • Decreased health and resistance of Behemoth biters.
  • Doubled the stack size of all ammos.
  • Tweaked the cost and crafting time of some ammos.
  • Increased the damage of most player ammos. Greatly increased the damage and fire rate of Rockets and Cannon Shells.
  • Increased the collision box of Cannon Shells.
  • Increased Tank health and resistances.
  • Added research for Tank Cannon Shells damage and shooting speed.
  • Tweaked research bonuses and added more end-game research for military upgrades.
  • Greatly increased the damage of Mines. They also stun nearby enemies when they explode.
  • Added uranium rounds magazine and uranium cannon shells.
  • Added flamethrower to the tank.
  • Other minor changes.
Optimizations
  • Improved performance of mining drills in general and significantly improved performance when mining drills get backed up.
  • Improved performance when tiles are changed due to migration/mod removal.
  • Significantly improved GUI performance for inventories that required scroll bars.
  • Improved GUI performance in general.
  • Improved performance of radars scanning chunks.
  • Improved map generation speed and generation algorithm.
  • Improved game load performance when a large amount of mod data exists in the save.
  • Optimized graph rendering in production statistics window.
  • Improved regenerate entity performance.
  • Improved network map transfer performance.
  • Improved train performance when building/mining rail related entities.
  • Optimized memory requirements for storing tiles under concrete.
Circuit Network
  • Significantly improved circuit network performance. Up to 25 times less CPU usage and 10% less memory usage.
  • Added the Programmable Speaker: it shows alerts and plays sounds based on circuit network signals. It can be used to make simple songs.
  • Train Stop can output the contents of the stopped train's cargo.
  • Train Stop can be disabled using the circuit network. Trains will skip disabled Train Stops, allowing simple train control.
  • Mining Drills can be turned on and off using the circuit network. They can also output the remaining expected resources.
  • Pumpjacks can be turned on and off using the circuit network. They can also output the current oil mining rate.
  • Added Modulo, Power, Left Bit Shift, Right Bit Shift, Bitwise AND, Bitwise OR and Bitwise XOR to the Arithmetic Combinator.
  • Added >=, <=, != to the Decider Combinator and Circuit Conditions.
Changes
  • Boilers are more powerful and bigger and have dedicated output for the steam. Default boilers output steam at the fixed temperature 165.
  • Removed support of 32 bit systems.
  • Removed alien artifacts and alien science packs from the game completely.
  • Changed bounding box of burner mining drills and pumpjack, so it is possible to walk in between them.
  • Disabled loading of saves before 0.12.0 version (You can use 0.12 to load older saves and re-save them).
  • Changed "small pump" to "pump". Small pumps in old saves will be migrated but they will be misaligned and disconnected from pipes.
  • Train station adds 2000 tiles penalty when path finding, so trains try to avoid stations not related to their path.
  • The map seed is used to generate unique maps instead of just shifting the starting position.
  • The "decorative" entity type has been deprecated and replaced with the prototype type "optimized-decorative".
  • Multiplied all fluid amounts by 10.
  • All default map editor actions are now on left click.
  • Change fluidbox height and base level of boiler, steam engine and pump to improve fluid flow.
  • When the active train stop is removed trains will immediately leave the station if they're waiting at the station.
  • Changed the default comparison type for train conditions to "or".
  • Fast replacing splitters maintains the splitter contents on the new splitter instead of returning it to the player.
  • Research started/changed notifications are only shown when in multiplayer.
  • Crafting is now paused when the results can't be given to the player instead of spilling them on the ground.
  • Changed evolution from global to per force.
  • Disabled mining of vehicles other players are driving.
  • Decreased biter sounds volumes
  • Laser turret projectiles move much faster
  • Roboport construction area changed from 50 to 51 to allow roboports build/deconstruct each other even when there is a 1 tile gap between their logistic areas.
  • Restart button now uses map generation settings from currently loaded save.
  • New rocket silo GUI and visbility button for freeplay and sandbox scenarios.
  • Unified internal name of the 'flame-thrower' to 'flamethrower'.
  • Manual ghost building will mark trees/rocks for deconstruction similar to alt-building blueprints.
  • Trains are now always visible on the map, not only on chunks observed by radars or players.
  • Renamed "armor-making-2" to "heavy-armor".
  • Renamed "armor-making-3" to "power-armor".
  • Renamed "diesel-locomotive" to "locomotive".
  • Increased blueprint book size to hold 1000 blueprints
  • Blueprints, blueprint books and deconstruction planners are obtainable from the library GUI with no crafting cost.
  • Added combinator working, wire hold and wire place sounds.
  • Single player can be continued when you die.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
No more alien artifacts? Wut replace with?

I saw that they had planned on this removal a good while ago, but don't have time to comb the notes. Anyone have any idea if the assets (and whatever code) are still accessible for modders? I do like how much utility (and mostly optional combat utility) the Bob's set of mods added for the alien artifacts. I'd be slightly miffed if there was no way to have killing bugs be involved in your research anymore.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Having pimped out power armor for ruining bugs was awesome. Pretty easy once you got all your armor mods

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
This game is really pretty rough to play without having some lets play or tutorial to help you. I guess it's the tax for how much you can do in the end, but somehow even looking things up doesn't get boring.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Looks interesting, but I get the idea if I wanted to accomplish much I would spend more time watching some videos/streams for a while.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
It really depends on how you approach the game, honestly.

When I was actively playing it, a large portion of the fun was slowly going through the various phases of gameplay and coming to revelations, where I would then build more optimized versions based upon those revelations. Which would then lead me to other ideas that constantly had me refining my layout/research. Revisions and optimization became as fun/important as progress in the game.

If you -have- to do things efficiently from the get-go without your own R&D, videos and tutorials are the way to go probably. But for me, the fun was in figuring out better ways to do things and then implementing those incremental changes, while discovering pitfalls or "age" specific techniques that had to be largely discarded with advances in tech.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Intropy

Shit Gamer
It really depends on how you approach the game, honestly.

When I was actively playing it, a large portion of the fun was slowly going through the various phases of gameplay and coming to revelations, where I would then build more optimized versions based upon those revelations. Which would then lead me to other ideas that constantly had me refining my layout/research. Revisions and optimization became as fun/important as progress in the game.

If you -have- to do things efficiently from the get-go without your own R&D, videos and tutorials are the way to go probably. But for me, the fun was in figuring out better ways to do things and then implementing those incremental changes, while discovering pitfalls or "age" specific techniques that had to be largely discarded with advances in tech.

This right here has been the whole fun of the game for me. I feel like watching tutorials from the get go about how to make a hyper optimised factory would really undermine the experience of the game.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
This right here has been the whole fun of the game for me. I feel like watching tutorials from the get go about how to make a hyper optimised factory would really undermine the experience of the game.
Depends, maybe I'm retarded, but even figuring stuff like burner drills supplying each other coal would take ages for me, so youtube is invaluable. Easpecially when you aren't watching uberleet speedruns but something more akin to Factorio 101

Intropy

Shit Gamer
Depends, maybe I'm retarded, but even figuring stuff like burner drills supplying each other coal would take ages for me, so youtube is invaluable. Easpecially when you aren't watching uberleet speedruns but something more akin to Factorio 101

Just have them drop shit on the ground and pick it up like a noob. Then have them feed wood chests like a player. Then have them belt that shit right to the boilers like a boss. Then run around refueling them by hand like a scrub. Then build a clusterfuck spaghetti mess of belts and burner inserters to make them self-fueling like a mad engineer. Spend three hours making the perfect recursively self-fueling setup, then delete it all 15 minutes later when you finally realize what that electric mining drill does that you unlocked two hours ago.

If you aren't playing it like that, then you're missing the whole game.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Just have them drop shit on the ground and pick it up like a noob. Then have them feed wood chests like a player. Then have them belt that shit right to the boilers like a boss. Then run around refueling them by hand like a scrub. Then build a clusterfuck spaghetti mess of belts and burner inserters to make them self-fueling like a mad engineer. Spend three hours making the perfect recursively self-fueling setup, then delete it all 15 minutes later when you finally realize what that electric mining drill does that you unlocked two hours ago.

If you aren't playing it like that, then you're missing the whole game.
For real, especially that part about the electric drill!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Borzak

I downloaded the demo. Other than left click to do something and open a chest that was about it. I felt like I got a demo of the demo. That was it, lasted about 30 seconds.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I downloaded the demo. Other than left click to do something and open a chest that was about it. I felt like I got a demo of the demo. That was it, lasted about 30 seconds.
Follow the list of things to do and it will advance you to the next level.

Borzak

What list? I Literally fired up the demo and said look at X and I clicked X. End of demo.