Fallout 4

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
How was it original?
I just mean that FO3 built a 3d representation of the fallout world and all the assets. FONV copied most of it. I don't really mind reuse at all (in fact I think gaming companies should reuse content more) but when I played FO3 it was the first 3d fallout game I played. When I played FONV it was more of the same.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
no, i'm with you. i can't NOT play the paragon of virtue and truth. my point is that it's WAY too easy to be good and evil in video games. being evil should result in poeple coming after you, stores not selling to you, quest givers not talking to you. being good should result in being fricking poor. turning down quest rewards because the destitute woman that you just saved from some gang members probably needs those gold coins more than you do. people offer you all kinds of quests, but they take advantage of you because they KNOW you're not going to break their knee caps if they give you an old cloak they have lying around instead of their grandfather's diamond longsword of ethereal vorpal-ness +3.

being evil or good carries no inherent weight in video games. i mean, there was SORT OF weight, like you said, about blowing up megaton, in that the town was gone from that point on... but... so? you were doing your shopping elsewhere at that point in the game. there wasn't really any REAL repercussions of LITERALLY NUKING AN ENTIRE TOWN.
I think there was some of this in FO2. I seem to remember squads of either Brotherhood or the other dudes showing up in my random encounters out for my blood, depending what I had been doing that game. Baldur's Gate did this too I think if you were evil? Outside the stupid town guard thing I mean. I can't really remember.

Cybsled

I just mean that FO3 built a 3d representation of the fallout world and all the assets. FONV copied most of it. I don't really mind reuse at all (in fact I think gaming companies should reuse content more) but when I played FO3 it was the first 3d fallout game I played. When I played FONV it was more of the same.
Same with me. I played FO3 many years after it had come out (all DLC had been released). I sunk a decent amount of time into that game, then I got FONV and it felt too similar. I chalk that up to the proximity to which I had played it in relation to FO3...had there been a multi-year gap, maybe I would have felt different. It also sucked going from Winter Power Armor /w alien tech energy rifles to bootleg shotguns ;p

I think there was some of this in FO2. I seem to remember squads of either Brotherhood or the other dudes showing up in my random encounters out for my blood, depending what I had been doing that game. Baldur's Gate did this too I think if you were evil? Outside the stupid town guard thing I mean. I can't really remember.
FO3 had some of that. The quest where you agree to put the slave collars on folks...if you backed out of that deal (ie, you murdered the slavers instead) after getting the quest, the slavers hired mercs to murder you. They would randomly appear as you went about your way on the map. The Aqua-Pura bit from the end of vanilla FO3 that carried over into the DLC was also pretty big, since it changed the game world a lot.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
NV (bugs aside) was the better of the two, but it was a very narrow divide. Story wise, NV had a much more interesting multiple faction arc to tackle and it tied more directly into the original games. Game mechanic wise, NV was more challenging simply because the more limited perks meant you could not be the master of all abilities like you could in FO3, so your character had to specialize which really improved the replay value beyond the moral choices. NV also had much better balance between the weapon types, though energy weapons might have been a tad overnerfed. The lack of enemies scaling with you also helped the game enormously and is probably the best choice that Obsidian made in design. Finally, the DLC in NV was miles better than FO3, largely due to the whole Ulysses arc tying everything together (though you did have to dig in the game text to notice it), though the finale was pretty much a treadmill.

The areas where FO3 got things a little better were the setting was better (large stretches of unused land in NV vs the tons of hand populated ruins maps) and felt more apocalyptic. NV had this overly civilized feel to it, which I suppose is partly due to the fact that it is a continuation of the NCR arc from the first two games, but it lost he whole lone scavenger in the wasteland feel that FO3 captured so well. FO3 also seemed to have a better variation of enemies occupying intuitively well thought out places than NV. The tree dog radio and song choices also were a lot more entertaining than the NV counterparts (Tabitha aside). Finally, the entire VR dive into the german scientist's computer world was one of the best handled settings I have seen in a game in years.

That said, Tuco is pretty much right on. The games are close in quality and the worst Fallout game is still miles ahead of the best game of other supposed franchises.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Edit- And oh yeah, FO3 also had the whole step out of the vault thing which was just mind blowing the first time you play the game and something NV lacked. I really hope the next game has the multiple faction system of NV but the just stepped out of the Vault experience of FO1/3.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Edit- And oh yeah, FO3 also had the whole step out of the vault thing which was just mind blowing the first time you play the game and something NV lacked. I really hope the next game has the multiple faction system of NV but the just stepped out of the Vault experience of FO1/3.
They're both great. New Vegas had the better story while F03 was more fleshed out. F03 deserved it's praise while NV due to politics was forced to release and came out buggy. With patches and time it's clear it was one of the most underrated games of the decade.

I am starting my annual FO1-NV marathon and I suggest some bros do the same. Time to write some wrongs and see what the Master is up too.

rrr_img_49882.jpg

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
New Vegas is only not better basically because Bethesda fucked Obsidian by only giving them a year to make the game. Had they given them 6 months more even, or preferably a year, that whole Legion encampment and all the empty areas would have been fully fleshed out and Vegas proper would have been larger.

But again, all this is moot now.You can play Fallout 3 and New Vegas together as one game using the Tale of Two Wasteland mods provided you actually own the gamesThat's right. You can start the game being born in Fallout 3, travel by train station to the Vegas wasteland, start that storyline, and complete both games and all missions in them together using all the UI and gameplay improvements from New Vegas in both wastelands.

Its fucking incredible

Tale of Two Wastelands

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Fallout 3 crashes a lot on Win 7 and above. This mod fixes that as well. Makes the game much more stable. Its pretty great all around.

Oh and the DLC can all be played in this mod no problem. It unifies both games entirely.

They should also stop being pussies about vehicles. Walking everywhere is tarded.
Yeah, the best part about Fallout Tactics was driving around in an APC, real-time mode, with sniper rifles in the window ports, and running over shit. Would be nice to see that in Fallout 4 in addition to multiplayer.

The no-vehicles deal is probably due to whatever mediocre-ish engine Bethesda always uses. They should just switch to something like Unreal where you have vehicles pretty much out of the box like Borderlands.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Modding bethesda games is always a value vs compatibility/stability/bug balancing act. I don't really see the value of porting FO3 content into FONV and then using that as a platform to add mods to. Unless somehow it works really well. I guess I'd have to try it to see. Having Project Nevada fully working in FO3 would be great.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
There's a list of compatible mods on the Tale of Two Wastelands site.

No idea if Project Nevada is compatible or not.

Tale of Two Wastelands Mod Releases | Tale of Two Wastelands

Looks like it might be there's a patch to fix a problem or two with it.

They're basically the same engine New Vegas just has a year or two of patches applied for the most part. Same reason you can port Morrowind's world into both Oblivion and Skyrim's engines if you desire.

The advantage is you get all the New Vegas improvements, including survival mode or hardcore mode whatever its called, plus you can take New Vegas weapons back to the Capital Wasteland. Its pretty sick all the way around.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
There's a list of compatible mods on the Tale of Two Wastelands site.

No idea if Project Nevada is compatible or not.

Tale of Two Wastelands Mod Releases | Tale of Two Wastelands

Looks like it might be there's a patch to fix a problem or two with it.

They're basically the same engine New Vegas just has a year or two of patches applied for the most part. Same reason you can port Morrowind's world into both Oblivion and Skyrim's engines if you desire.

The advantage is you get all the New Vegas improvements, including survival mode or hardcore mode whatever its called, plus you can take New Vegas weapons back to the Capital Wasteland. Its pretty sick all the way around.
What's your mod list for FO3 in FONV's engine?

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I enjoyed NV more than FO3, personally. FO3 was huge in scale and scope but mostly it wasn't fleshed out. You'd have vast zones with little purpose. In NV it seemed like every zone had a meaning for being around. If they would have actually made the Legion storyline/questline as fleshed out as the other faction it would have been amazing.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
What's your mod list for FO3 in FONV's engine?
I dunno what you mean. I haven't sat down and gone through like Nexus looking for mods for any bethesda title in a good long while.

When I found about about Tale of Two Wastelands, I fresh reinstalled both games for the first time in about a year and just installed that mod for the most part.

But at that link I posted there's a ton of threads on mods and what are compatible with both and what probably aren't as well.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Oh ok, thanks.

You should look up the FONV/FO3 thread we have around and mod it up and follow whatever advice I said!

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Why would I do that?

I'm not getting your point here. When did this turn into a mod dick waving contest?What is your point/problem/issue with this mod that has led you to post this post?

When NV came out, people wanted to see the two games put together, and Bethesda said it wouldn't be possible because of legal issues with the two different companies making the game. These guys had one version of this mod but was shut down over those legal issues by Bethesda, but they came up with this self installer work around that Bethesda's lawyers were okay with that allows you to combine the two games into one, playing the entire thing as a singular experience.

Because they are so compatible, other mods should work with this mod for the most part. Some may need updates or slight changes from their developers. Luckily I linked you a comprehensive list of them.

You may not see the value of putting both games, including all their DLCs together with the far superior New Vegas leveling and hard core mode and perks system, etc. but luckily there are plenty of people who aren't you who do, apparently. Hence the mods popularity.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
You say this like it is a good thing.
Would you prefer the franchise to never evolve beyond 2d iso and just die instead? Fallout has never been more popular than it is now and that is thanks to the evolution to 3d.