Fidel Castro is dead

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Another boat full of Cuban refugees landed down here today. Maybe they didn't get the memo Castro died.

Lendarios your ride is here!
OfficialAbleDrongo.gif

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

iannis

Musty Nester
Reading this it sounds to me the Batista regime and american companies did a pretty good job at fleecing the cuban people and the american taxpayers!

Not good enough. A competent general and a rabble of ideological peasants threw them straight off the island. And once american companies stopped fleecing, the entire thing fell immediately to shit.

I'm afraid that's one of those "you can't have it both ways".

The argument is not about if Castro was competent. He obviously was. Even people who despise him have to admit that. He was a successful revolutionary. The question is if his revolution met it's mandate. I would have to answer that it did not, but I suppose that it hinges on what you think the mandate was. If the mandate was "Cuba for Cubans" then I guess it came closer than if you think the mandate was "Cuba can be better".

Which is the specific reason that Castro used the word Colony, even when I have no doubt he understood he was framing the wrong relationship. Cuba for Cubans makes him look a whole lot better and allows supporters to ignore some things that maybe they shouldn't.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I'm glad this boring discussion has its own thread

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Not good enough. A competent general and a rabble of ideological peasants threw them straight off the island. And once american companies stopped fleecing, the entire thing fell immediately to shit.

I'm afraid that's one of those "you can't have it both ways".

The argument is not about if Castro was competent. He obviously was. Even people who despise him have to admit that. He was a successful revolutionary. The question is if his revolution met it's mandate. I would have to answer that it did not, but I suppose that it hinges on what you think the mandate was. If the mandate was "Cuba for Cubans" then I guess it came closer than if you think the mandate was "Cuba can be better".

Which is the specific reason that Castro used the word Colony, even when I have no doubt he understood he was framing the wrong relationship. Cuba for Cubans makes him look a whole lot better and allows supporters to ignore some things that maybe they shouldn't.

Cuba's revolution is an economic failure, it failed to improve the living of Cubans. One of the many reasons why it lasted so long was the economic lifeline the USSR gave the island for decades. Once that was remove in the early 90, the island economy collapse, and social unrest and government suppression triggered the 1994 exodus.

Somehow paradoxically, having the Cuban immigration exception, also has helped the government, as it has foster a feeling of "if you leave Cuba, you'll be welcomed with open arms in Miami". It is pretty much theory-crafting, but I think it worked like a escape valve, whenever the Cuban population was overwhelmed by the living conditions, instead of revolting against the government, It took, to the seas, and escaped to the US haven.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Is this going to be like one of those Sadam Hussein things where he was this horrible evil person that kept everything together and now we're going to have Cuban terrorist groups on Facebook recruiting our youth

• 1Like

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Don't worry about it, in 150 years it will be said, that Americans didn't want to invade Iraq.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
In 3000 more years, if humanity is still kicking, they will still be blowing up deli's and shit there

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Castro kicked the Jew Mafia out of Cuba. They were basically running the place.

At least that's what I learned from Godfather 2. The rest, I dunno.

• 1Like

Szlia

iannis iannis By a number of metrics, such as alphabetization, life expectancy at birth, peasants ownership of the land they work, price of electricity, of telecommunications and of rents, the cuban revolution markedly and quickly made things better for the people of the island. On other fronts, such as political freedom, freedom of the press, freedom of assembly... not so much.

When it comes to industrialization and economic growth, it clearly did not happen, but it's a bit difficult to lay the blame at the feet of the revolution when from the get go the US made a significant effort to make sure it did not happen. Castro mentioned in his 1960 speech (what's not in it?) how the US warned that Cuba needed the american companies to function properly, yet, defeating their own argument, still felt the need to bomb the mills and fire bomb the sugar cane fields in an attempt to thwart the work of the cooperatives that ran them just as well as their previous owners...

More than 5 decades after the revolution, it's a bit futile to try and imagine how would Cuba be today if it did not happen, or if the US treated the new government differently or if Guevara remained the ideological compass refusing an economical infeodation to the USSR. We can only hope that 50 years later, a neighbor that poses no geopolitical or ideological threat could be treated normally for the benefit of all parties.

As for the semantic problem over the word "colony", I guess from a political standpoint it can be argued how much of a hyperbole was Castro's statement, as in how much of a puppet government was Cuba's over the years. From an economical standpoint through the prism of anti-imperialism, you have companies from a single foreign power that is drinking all the Cuban milkshake without the cuban people tasting a drop of it, which is, as Castro is arguing in his speech, a de facto colony (I paraphrase: "Cuba had a different color on the map, but that was the extent of its independence").

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
When it comes to industrialization and economic growth, it clearly did not happen, but it's a bit difficult to lay the blame at the feet of the revolution when from the get go the US made a significant effort to make sure it did not happen. Castro mentioned in his 1960 speech (what's not in it?) how the US warned that Cuba needed the american companies to function properly, yet, defeating their own argument, still felt the need to bomb the mills and fire bomb the sugar cane fields in an attempt to thwart the work of the cooperatives that ran them just as well as their previous owners...

It is not difficult to lay blame. Castro choose the path of not only nationalizing the industries with foreign owners, he also took over the industries of local owners. He simply choose the economic model that allowed him to stay in power longer. He could have done a partial nationalization, but that would require him to eventually give more power to the local bourgeoisie; something clearly he did not wanted to.

Also those communes you mentioned, it was almost forced labor.

iannis

Musty Nester
As for the semantic problem over the word "colony", I guess from a political standpoint it can be argued how much of a hyperbole was Castro's statement, as in how much of a puppet government was Cuba's over the years. From an economical standpoint through the prism of anti-imperialism, you have companies from a single foreign power that is drinking all the Cuban milkshake without the cuban people tasting a drop of it, which is, as Castro is arguing in his speech, a de facto colony (I paraphrase: "Cuba had a different color on the map, but that was the extent of its independence").

I'll admit that much is close enough to true. But that is always going to be the case. Cuba is a medium sized island. The USA compromises the cohesive bulk of an entire continent. There will never be a time, as long as this remains true, that Cuba will be free of American influence. Influence which will seem at times purely dictatorial.

I truly do not see a political situation in which Cuba is not overshadowed by their giant neighbor. Hell, Cuba would be overshadowed by Florida, Lousiana, and Texas themselves. It doesn't take the other 47.

It's not really a semantic argument about the word Colony. Colony implies a level of regard which America has NEVER held for Cuba, and never will. It's not the word, it's the idea that the word represents. That was the hope and dream of some long defeated southern politicians -- for Cuba to become an actual colony, but even then Cuba was nothing but a tool to influence domestic politics. The relationship is vassalage, pure and simple. But there are different shades of that relationship. I happen to agree with you and lend up to a point. If the previous version of vassalage had been a bit more inclusive then Castro would have never had enough support to lead his revolt. But I also agree with Kissinger and Lithose. To pre-emptively stop that revolt would have cost more than America would ever gain in doing so. There comes a point where it just costs less to subjugate them.

I don't really want to see that, either.

But thinking Cuba can be truly free is the delusional dream of a dead man. All Castro did was trade masters. And then his new master collapsed. USA is still here, and the USA is a completely different order of magnitude.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Got a friend who just text me this after I sent him that pic of the trump/Castro meme.

"What's your problem with Castro? The people of Cuba are sad of his passing.
Am I suppose to hate him because my government tells me to?"

Lol he's huge into Oliver Stone.

• 1Like

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
You know, all those folks making fun of Justin Trudeau for looking like Castro are being pretty insensitive to the guy...

...after all, he just lost his father! :D

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users