Final Fantasy 16

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Characters in the game don't seem to be as bothered by the destruction of the Mother Crystals as I feel they should be. Their entire society is based around the damn things and using them for day-to-day magic so I would think losing even one of them would be a really really big deal.

Then again it's silly how they treat bearers like crap...especially since they can do magic without the damn crystals.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chris

Potato del Grande
Characters in the game don't seem to be as bothered by the destruction of the Mother Crystals as I feel they should be. Their entire society is based around the damn things and using them for day-to-day magic so I would think losing even one of them would be a really really big deal.

Then again it's silly how they treat bearers like crap...especially since they can do magic without the damn crystals.
This is dealt with once enough are gone... the NPCs do talk about how they are getting worse crystals from a different Mother Crystal, later there's more stuff going on.

Last edited:

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Same. I'll also go Resolution Mode for Hogwarts Legacy whenever I actually play that. Yeah the lower framerate sucks. Not only is it higher resolution though, they also do some nutso effects with light and reflections via ray-tracing.

Between HL and this, it's kind of cool to see devs making Resolution Mode actually worthwhile now.
If you're tv/monitor supports hdmi 2.1 / VRR, use Balanced mode for HL, looks great and a stable 60fps. Much better than resolution or performance modes.

• 1Like

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

If you mean the Story characters, they have a reason to destroy them as they wish to change society. If you mean the NPC's, they are very aware of what is happening and are quite scared.

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
If you mean the Story characters, they have a reason to destroy them as they wish to change society. If you mean the NPC's, they are very aware of what is happening and are quite scared.
Sometimes you gotta idle next to a group of NPCs.

I have to say that I personally feel very uncomfortable about destroying them with no evidence it will work.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Sometimes you gotta idle next to a group of NPCs.

I have to say that I personally feel very uncomfortable about destroying them with no evidence it will work.
Wtf. You realize it’s a video game with a predetermined outcome right?

• 1Worf

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I've had a suspicion from the get-go that you the player would turn out to be the bad guy or something in the overall game. I hope they have the balls to follow through. Has any RPG done anything like that?

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Think I am closing in on the end. Only a few hundred left for max rep, judge that by completion progress. Done all side quests so far, guessing there is perhaps one or two side quest "stops" in the story where 3-4 come up at once. Done all hunts.

Spoiler for how I play with names of skills and some examples of hunts
I use the Ifrit close in to attack, fire balls for damage reduction and Ifrit ult. Then Garuda pull, claws and ultimate. Last Bahamut megaflare, Bahamut ultimate and Ramuh ultimate.

Packs are instagibbed by Garuda ult and Ifrit ult. For bosses or enemies with two shield bars I use Garuda ult which ticks away constantly at the shield and just hit the mob, once shield drops, use claws as that has a very high stagger/shield reduction. When enemies stagger I use Bahamut ultimate, Ramuh ultimate and if up, Ifrit ult (tho usually save that for healing as it heals all temp lost HP).

Bahamut I added later, as it does more damage than Ramuhs thunderstor, but once you get those and upgrade them.... Shiva or Titan are just nowhere near the DPS. Might be more "fun" to play as I do no counters unless by accident. I have the ring which makes perfect dodges into triggers that double/triple damage (best item in game so far). I died once, and come close to dying no other times. I rarely use pots. Death was when I randomly found the S rank 50 dragon Svarog. Shouldn't have died, but tried to limit break my way out of low HP instead of using pots. When I came back I killed him, think he was 12 or so levels above me. The level 45 Atlas I did at 30 or so without any issues. Seen people play it with trying to counter and such and make the game so much harder for themselves. Though it does look more fun and tactical. I just dodge around until shields and down and do 60k damage. Every boss fight has been the same since ... level 20?
So far

Looks great, playing the 30 fps mode and honestly doesn't bother me. I followed the Digital Foundry tip of just turning it on in the beginning and never looking back. Sound is good. Eikon fights are very spectacular, but .... overly long at times.
Small thing here, but you fight Bahamut .... in SPACE! how the F does not Clive or Joshua react to that. You're in space. In a mideval world. You hear about "airships" but lots of small conversations hint that the people can't really understand what that means. And you fly off the planet and look down. No comment at all on it.

The one thing that I do notice, with the game being only one character with abilities and a low amount of gear (with only + small number of stat upgrades) it does impact the game exploration. In 60+? hours I think I've found 3 items which were upgrades compared to what I was wearing. Rest are crafting materials, which I have thousands of. The rarer items/crafting come from hunts, so only a few of them. I miss that with earlier FF games, where you had larger parties and as such could find items for everyone, so it usually was always good to find a chest off the beaten path. In this game, vast majority of chests are useless.

EDIT: I should say, most of the itemization is useless. Pointless trinkets with very small utility. Dodge trinket, defense trinket and ... I forget the third. I stopped looking at them. Gil is for what? Buying the records? I haven't seen anything else to spend on. Never bought gear since that's always worse. Itemization of the world (crafting included) is as basic as it can possibly get. /Edit.

I like the game, but I'll probably never play it again once I finish it. It's the "new" direction, but I don't like it. Bring back the charm and turn based of 6-10. (I haven't played any of the older ones than that though I am tempted to buy the Pixel remake thing)

Last edited:

Chris

Potato del Grande
Think I am closing in on the end. Only a few hundred left for max rep, judge that by completion progress. Done all side quests so far, guessing there is perhaps one or two side quest "stops" in the story where 3-4 come up at once. Done all hunts.

I use the Ifrit close in to attack, fire balls for damage reduction and Ifrit ult. Then Garuda pull, claws and ultimate. Last Bahamut megaflare, Bahamut ultimate and Ramuh ultimate.

Packs are instagibbed by Garuda ult and Ifrit ult. For bosses or enemies with two shield bars I use Garuda ult which ticks away constantly at the shield and just hit the mob, once shield drops, use claws as that has a very high stagger/shield reduction. When enemies stagger I use Bahamut ultimate, Ramuh ultimate and if up, Ifrit ult (tho usually save that for healing as it heals all temp lost HP).

Bahamut I added later, as it does more damage than Ramuhs thunderstor, but once you get those and upgrade them.... Shiva or Titan are just nowhere near the DPS. Might be more "fun" to play as I do no counters unless by accident. I have the ring which makes perfect dodges into triggers that double/triple damage (best item in game so far). I died once, and come close to dying no other times. I rarely use pots. Death was when I randomly found the S rank 50 dragon Svarog. Shouldn't have died, but tried to limit break my way out of low HP instead of using pots. When I came back I killed him, think he was 12 or so levels above me. The level 45 Atlas I did at 30 or so without any issues. Seen people play it with trying to counter and such and make the game so much harder for themselves. Though it does look more fun and tactical. I just dodge around until shields and down and do 60k damage. Every boss fight has been the same since ... level 20?
So far

Looks great, playing the 30 fps mode and honestly doesn't bother me. I followed the Digital Foundry tip of just turning it on in the beginning and never looking back. Sound is good. Eikon fights are very spectacular, but .... overly long at times.
Small thing here, but you fight Bahamut .... in SPACE! how the F does not Clive or Joshua react to that. You're in space. In a mideval world. You hear about "airships" but lots of small conversations hint that the people can't really understand what that means. And you fly off the planet and look down. No comment at all on it.

The one thing that I do notice, with the game being only one character with abilities and a low amount of gear (with only + small number of stat upgrades) it does impact the game exploration. In 60+? hours I think I've found 3 items which were upgrades compared to what I was wearing. Rest are crafting materials, which I have thousands of. The rarer items/crafting come from hunts, so only a few of them. I miss that with earlier FF games, where you had larger parties and as such could find items for everyone, so it usually was always good to find a chest off the beaten path. In this game, vast majority of chests are useless.

I like the game, but I'll probably never play it again once I finish it. It's the "new" direction, but I don't like it. Bring back the charm and turn based of 6-10. (I haven't played any of the older ones than that though I am tempted to buy the Pixel remake thing)
I played all 6 pixel remakes but I pirated them on my phone.

5 and 6 are the only ones worth paying for. The rest are faily under developed and lack in gameplay and/or story.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

So far

There is some interview where the Dev's said they wanted people to have to rely upon their skill at using combos of the various eikons to defeats mobs, rather than just outgearing encounters. I think the only really useful gear, so far (almost done) are the CD reduction accessories, the +Dmg ones do help, but I prefer lower cooldowns. You might try:
Using Impluse from Bahamut, I shits on the Garuda's Gouge and shreds the Stagger bar, while also being a hard CC on small mobs, and since it doesn't lock you into a long animation, I find it much more useful. All the best accessories have been from exploration.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
There is some interview where the Dev's said they wanted people to have to rely upon their skill at using combos of the various eikons to defeats mobs, rather than just outgearing encounters. I think the only really useful gear, so far (almost done) are the CD reduction accessories, the +Dmg ones do help, but I prefer lower cooldowns. You might try:
Using Impluse from Bahamut, I shits on the Garuda's Gouge and shreds the Stagger bar, while also being a hard CC on small mobs, and since it doesn't lock you into a long animation, I find it much more useful. All the best accessories have been from exploration.
That’s weird they want you to rely on skill but they checkpoint the actual fights and if you die they fully cap your potions, whether you had any to start the fight or not.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
There is some interview where the Dev's said they wanted people to have to rely upon their skill at using combos of the various eikons to defeats mobs, rather than just outgearing encounters. I think the only really useful gear, so far (almost done) are the CD reduction accessories, the +Dmg ones do help, but I prefer lower cooldowns.
Berserker ring is easily the best accessory imo. Unless I know I'm about to fight a boss I just use +SP and +XP in the other slots, for boss I like cooldown on the Ifrit ult and the cleric one. Swap on the gil ones (I think they stack?) before turning in quests if I think of it, though gil does indeed seem pointless for anything but buying BGMs unless you really feel the need to use elixirs for some reason.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Considering you only have 6 Eikon abilities loaded at any one time there really are a ludicrous number of them.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
That’s weird they want you to rely on skill but if you they checkpoint the actual fights and if you die they fully cap your potions, whether you had any to start the fight or not.

Yeah, like...wot?

Like I said before, raise the potion cap by 2x or 3x and don't refill potions on death. Can keep the checkpoints, whatever, but take away death being an advantage.

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I fell off this one due to being overworked and tired as hell. But now I have 5 weeks vaccation so need to get into it again. Last I did was Garuda fight and it felt a bit slow story wise.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I fell off this one due to being overworked and tired as hell. But now I have 5 weeks vaccation so need to get into it again. Last I did was Garuda fight and it felt a bit slow story wise.
You’re in Europe right? What’s overworked mean there, 30 hours in a week? 😁

The story picks up some after Garuda, the next big area with the city is pretty cool.

• 1Like

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
You’re in Europe right? What’s overworked mean there, 30 hours in a week? 😁

The story picks up some after Garuda, the next big area with the city is pretty cool.
I wish. :p Been 6 days a week for a while and working in "climate crisis" weather.

I think I ended right before going to the big city to destroy the mother crystal. Looking forward to continue it and getting more skills etc. Ended up unequipping the Game Journalist rings also, that made it way wierd to play when it did everything automatically.

Chris

Potato del Grande
I feel like Jill is nice but a bit boring...

Trying to think about which female leads she is better than... Lightning and Ashe were offensively bad given that the story revolved around them but they had no personality.

I guess she's about the same as Maria, Rosa and Garnet.

The FF5-FF8 & FF10 female characters have a lot more going on and better developed personalities.

The male characters are pretty good though, I just feel like we are missing some spikey hair and amnesia.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I wish. :p Been 6 days a week for a while and working in "climate crisis" weather.

I think I ended right before going to the big city to destroy the mother crystal. Looking forward to continue it and getting more skills etc. Ended up unequipping the Game Journalist rings also, that made it way wierd to play when it did everything automatically.
The game has some really high highs, but also some pretty low lows (as in filler).