Final Fantasy 16

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Just finished the game, and for someone who hasn't played the previous main line games, it was really good. Fans might get hung up on what its -not- compared to the previous, but its ok, worth playing.

My biggest gripes with the game are that some characters were a bit underdeveloped, pacing was a rollercoaster and visual clarity during combat could be total ass sometimes. Not sure what they could do with DLC, but I'll definitely check it out if they decide to release something down the road.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I feel like Jill is nice but a bit boring...

Trying to think about which female leads she is better than... Lightning and Ashe were offensively bad given that the story revolved around them but they had no personality.

I guess she's about the same as Maria, Rosa and Garnet.

The FF5-FF8 & FF10 female characters have a lot more going on and better developed personalities.

The male characters are pretty good though, I just feel like we are missing some spikey hair and amnesia.

Can't comment on 1 to 6 as I haven't played them yet but come on, the male characters are a bunch of autists too. Japanese writing is questionable at best when you factor in this hugely emotionally repressed culture. Cloud spends most of his time bumbling around trying to remember who he is while Squall spends the entire game coming to terms with what it's like to have friends and Zidane is a child trapped in the body of a furry.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Can't comment on 1 to 6 as I haven't played them yet but come on, the male characters are a bunch of autists too. Japanese writing is questionable at best when you factor in this hugely emotionally repressed culture. Cloud spends most of his time bumbling around trying to remember who he is while Squall spends the entire game coming to terms with what it's like to have friends and Zidane is a child trapped in the body of a furry.
You are right, Tidus IS the best male Final Fantasy lead.

• 1Worf

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Best lead in a FF game was Baltheir in FF12, as the "main" protagonist in that story was more of a side character in terms of the major arc.

Just finished this game, all hunts and sidequests done. Have no interest in NG+ just for the combat and "new items" for more +5 stat upgrades. Last sword upgrade I only got to use for the last boss. Last 10 or so hours I just wanted it to end. 7/10 seems fair.

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
Just finished this game, all hunts and sidequests done. Have no interest in NG+ just for the combat and "new items" for more +5 stat upgrades. Last sword upgrade I only got to use for the last boss. Last 10 or so hours I just wanted it to end. 7/10 seems fair.
Re: Last part of the game.
I got to the last boss so please don't spoil past Joshua's death, I will go back and do sidequests first.

But the peak of the game was Twinside. After that they focus on Odin and his motivations don't really make much sense. Then Ultima's corruption of Clive feels really hollow, like why would Clive ever submit?

Odin should have killed Jill and Gav to invoke some real dispair.

I do think that Ultima is really creepy but I'm not understanding the Typhon fight in Oriflamme, that was a cool fight and felt like the evil Lightning Eikon to Ifrit as the evil Fire Eikon... they should had one of those at each crystal. That was just an Ultima form right?

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If you
Re: Last part of the game.
I got to the last boss so please don't spoil past Joshua's death, I will go back and do sidequests first.

But the peak of the game was Twinside. After that they focus on Odin and his motivations don't really make much sense. Then Ultima's corruption of Clive feels really hollow, like why would Clive ever submit?

Odin should have killed Jill and Gav to invoke some real dispair.

I do think that Ultima is really creepy but I'm not understanding the Typhon fight in Oriflamme, that was a cool fight and felt like the evil Lightning Eikon to Ifrit as the evil Fire Eikon... they should had one of those at each crystal. That was just an Ultima form right?
Well, you're sorta screwed, like I was, if I understand what you mean with that first sentence. You got to the point where Joshua dies and stopped? [/spoiled]

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Best lead in a FF game was Baltheir in FF12, as the "main" protagonist in that story was more of a side character in terms of the major arc.

Balthier was cool as fuck but I'm not sure I'd say he's the best, though probably close. If FF6 ever gets a true remake, most of the characters in that game would clobber most protagonists after that.
The FF5-FF8 & FF10 female characters have a lot more going on and better developed personalities.

The male characters are pretty good though, I just feel like we are missing some spikey hair and amnesia.
Lulu had some very nice personalities.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Balthier was cool as fuck but I'm not sure I'd say he's the best, though probably close. If FF6 ever gets a true remake, most of the characters in that game would clobber most protagonists after that.

Lulu had some very nice personalities.

Balthier was a great protagonist who should have been main. He reminded me of Spike from Buffy.

Lulu's personalities were great, I'd love to motorboat those personalities.

FF6's characters really were great. Most Japanese game protagonists drive me nuts, especially where "love interests" are concerned. So many men acting oblivious while women flirt with them. Then the men who actually do seem to actually care about women and show interest in them usually get treated as the "playboy" type character that all the women are skeptical of and avoid. So in the end nobody ever actually gets laid. I'm not even sure if the "couples" get laid.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Jill is barely a character. Her entire 'arc' is simplistic at best and for 99% of the game she is a total cypher. There were several fights where I saw a big Ice effect go off (with no actual effect on the hps of the target mind you) and only then remembered that she was with me.

The entire final act of the game starting with Odin is just not good at all.

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
Jill is barely a character. Her entire 'arc' is simplistic at best and for 99% of the game she is a total cypher. There were several fights where I saw a big Ice effect go off (with no actual effect on the hps of the target mind you) and only then remembered that she was with me.

The entire final act of the game starting with Odin is just not good at all.
They needed a flashback of her being captured by Rosaria, more flashbacks of her in the Iron Kingsom and an optional dungeon in the blighted place she came from. Then a consequnce on her personality for all of that.

She has the same story as Theon Greyjoy but is a somehow still a normal person. She should have been the one to betray Rosaria in the beginning with that being a big reveal later on, with Clive only forgiving her if she died.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You all have it wrong.

Vivi > all.

tumblr_p9imbtFTFw1snz2reo2_500.gif

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
You all have it wrong.

Vivi > all.

tumblr_p9imbtFTFw1snz2reo2_500.gif
My favorite of the series.

I've shut my expectations of 'Final Fantasy' off and I'm enjoying this game. The combat can be really fun when you chain all kinds of shit together. The voice acting is probably the best I've seen in a jrpg. The story is...ok'ish, I guess.

Fadaar

That guy
Balthier was a great protagonist who should have been main. He reminded me of Spike from Buffy.

Lulu's personalities were great, I'd love to motorboat those personalities.

FF6's characters really were great. Most Japanese game protagonists drive me nuts, especially where "love interests" are concerned. So many men acting oblivious while women flirt with them. Then the men who actually do seem to actually care about women and show interest in them usually get treated as the "playboy" type character that all the women are skeptical of and avoid. So in the end nobody ever actually gets laid. I'm not even sure if the "couples" get laid.

It's too bad they had to Japan-ify 12 so much with the stupid kid characters. At least with the last few releases they realized their target audience isn't a bunch of school age children anymore.

• 1Like

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I have no idea how far in I’m in, but I will say the combat makes me feel like a badass once you can LB.

spronk

FPS noob
Just finished the Dahlmekian (sic) story line and goddamn that was some Attack on Titan shit lol, loved it

I want every game to have the Active Time Lore stuff during cutscenes now, helps so much in keeping up with the story.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

joz123

Potato del Grande
Just finished the Dahlmekian (sic) story line and goddamn that was some Attack on Titan shit lol, loved it

I want every game to have the Active Time Lore stuff during cutscenes now, helps so much in keeping up with the story.
FF13-2 had a good lore system where you get new data during story stuff then you can just pause it and look up lore/bestiary stuff any time.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
For those who haven't finished the game yet, and would like to get 100% progress completion: (might be a spoiler, but minor)
Finish all the side quests and all the Hunts before committing to the final encounter. Once you start it, there is no way to leave, and when its done, it just rolls credits with no way to go back and finish things up outside of loading a save or starting a new game. At least, as far as I know. I ended up at 90% completion with no way to go back and finish the side quests / hunts.

Chris

Potato del Grande

tumblr_n1tre5YSbb1r503xfo5_250.gif

Chris

Potato del Grande
For those who haven't finished the game yet, and would like to get 100% progress completion: (might be a spoiler, but minor)
Finish all the side quests and all the Hunts before committing to the final encounter. Once you start it, there is no way to leave, and when its done, it just rolls credits with no way to go back and finish things up outside of loading a save or starting a new game. At least, as far as I know. I ended up at 90% completion with no way to go back and finish the side quests / hunts.
I backed out in the first fight against Ultima at Origin, not including the cinematic Eikon one before. Seemed fine. I guess there are several phases after that though.