Final Fantasy 16

Enob

Golden Knight of the Realm
Would be have great if that was actually in the game!
The only theory part is more on Necron and the rest is pretty explicitly laid out in game but it doesn't beat you over the head with it. Memoria is tied to the Void which is a common theme in FF and is either the vacuum in space separating the game worlds or, more likely, a metaphysical interdimensional nothingness separating them. It can be traveled to and through, ie Gilgamesh. Every incarnation of Gilgamesh is the same guy from FF5 but he visits all the worlds because he's a Void traveler.

In Memoria, you're definitely traveling back in time while also in a place outside of space and time as an observer. It's the "memory" of the universe up until that point, hence Memoria. Cribbing from the wiki here but each screen shows the story instead of telling it and the names are:
  • Outside
  • Entrance
  • Stairs of Time
  • Recollection
  • Outer Path
  • The Past
  • Oblivion
  • Recollection
  • Time Interval
  • Ruins
  • Lost Memory
  • Familiar Past
  • World Fusion
  • Portal
  • Birth
  • Ocean
  • Time Warp
  • Gaia's Birth
  • Stairs
  • Gate to Space
  • To the Origin
Many are only thematic but especially Gaia's Birth chronologically before a big Time Warp (cooling of the initial formation of the world), then Ocean, followed by Birth (of life in the oceans), then World Fusion show the progression. Then "To the Origin" is the final screen before you meet the crystal, which would make the crystal the origin of space and time and the equivalent of the real world singularity before the big bang. Kuja definitely casts Ultima on it to try to end all existence. All of this isn't really theory and is well laid out.

The only theory part is the Hill of Despair and Necron's tie in. Considering the Void theme through all of FF and how emo everyone goes right before they wake up, It's certainly not a huge leap of logic to think they're now fully in the Void and facing the god of the realm of nothingness to fight for existence.

Now explain how FF Mystic Quest ties in with the rest of the series.
Not all game worlds interacted with the Void and larger multiverse but were separated with no knowledge of the larger scope of things. This was one of those along with several other entries.

giphy.gif
+1. I do smoke a lot of weed and this needs to be a reaction option to posts. Would fit so many things.

I'm not as diehard about the larger multiverse theory as I'm probably coming across. It is just connecting the dots fanfic nonsense but is a lot of fun if you're a fan. If you play a lot of JRPGs (I do) or watch a lot anime or read manga (I don't), the FF series is actually fairly coherent.

Edit: Lol, didn't even read the FF9 entry for the Void on the wiki I posted before posting it. But yep, sums everything I said in a different way. Same interpretation.

Although not directly referred to as the Void, Kuja deems everything unfit to live with his sudden knowledge of his limited life span, and goes out of his way to destroy the Crystal, the origin of all life, to revert everything to nothingness. This passion is shared with Necron, a mystical being that has deemed the lives of living beings are suffering due to their fear of death. Necron refers to the concept of a world with no life as the "zero world".

There is also a black Void-like area between Memoria and the Crystal World that Zidane and his friends must cross to get to the beginning of all time, the Crystal. Going through Memoria is implied to be reaching back through time, until there is nothing but Void left, and the Crystal at the end of the Crystal World. This would comply with previous interpretations of the Void as the original state of the universe before the worlds were born.

Last edited:
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 1 user

Chris

Potato del Grande
Can't think of any FF spinoff I enjoyed more actually. I've played every FF and spinoff at this point except for FF Dimensions (the phone game that feels like an FF5 sequel). I should get on that.
Final Fantasy Record Keeper is the best spinoff. Phone game which is F2P friendly.

You can battle with almost every character from the series in a party of 5 against almost any boss in SNES graphics, there's even some PS1 and later dungeons and cut scenes recreated in SNES graphics.

It's gatcha but only for limit breaks and there's two in game currencies to pull for free or just buy them.

• 1EyeRoll

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Final Fantasy Record Keeper is the best spinoff. Phone game which is F2P friendly.

You can battle with almost every character from the series in a party of 5 against almost any boss in SNES graphics, there's even some PS1 and later dungeons and cut scenes recreated in SNES graphics.

It's gatcha but only for limit breaks and there's two in game currencies to pull for free or just buy them.

Yeah, I spent a lot of time with FFRK too, especially back when I had a job conducive to playing it in bursts. I think the last time I was "caught up" on the story mode was about a year ago. Wouldn't mind seeing what's been added since then. I lost interest because things like Torment Dungeons got to the point where they were a hassle (had to basically micromanage the party into oblivion rather than use the party I wanted to in the way I wanted to). Think I finished most of those 12 Relic Dungeon things, or maybe there were a few I couldn't. It's the kind of thing I played to relax, have enough challenging micromanag-y games at home. But yeah, just the basic game of FFRK where you can mix characters from different games and fight bosses across the spectrum is great. I hope they added some final bosses in at some point.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Yeah, I spent a lot of time with FFRK too, especially back when I had a job conducive to playing it in bursts. I think the last time I was "caught up" on the story mode was about a year ago. Wouldn't mind seeing what's been added since then. I lost interest because things like Torment Dungeons got to the point where they were a hassle (had to basically micromanage the party into oblivion rather than use the party I wanted to in the way I wanted to). Think I finished most of those 12 Relic Dungeon things, or maybe there were a few I couldn't. It's the kind of thing I played to relax, have enough challenging micromanag-y games at home. But yeah, just the basic game of FFRK where you can mix characters from different games and fight bosses across the spectrum is great. I hope they added some final bosses in at some point.
They have only done Final Bosses for 1-3 in anniversary events. The rest are still being left for later.

They ramped the Torment dungeones, there's an easy level, a medium one which is the one you remmeber but now powercreeped and a very hard one hardly anyone can kill yet. There's a realm version of magicite to help too.

6* Magicite is at the point where it's reasonable too. A festival started today with lots of free pulls, I got Celes and Cloud's Sync abilities :)

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
They have only done Final Bosses for 1-3 in anniversary events. The rest are still being left for later.

They ramped the Torment dungeones, there's an easy level, a medium one which is the one you remmeber but now powercreeped and a very hard one hardly anyone can kill yet. There's a realm version of magicite to help too.

6* Magicite is at the point where it's reasonable too. A festival started today with lots of free pulls, I got Celes and Cloud's Sync abilities :)

I'm going to check it out. Any pull recommendations? I've got like 600 mythril IIRC and outdated weapons (I think, they're all holy USB and OSB weaps for FFT/FF4 chars, I can run over holy-weak foes).

Chris

Potato del Grande
I'm going to check it out. Any pull recommendations? I've got like 600 mythril IIRC and outdated weapons (I think, they're all holy USB and OSB weaps for FFT/FF4 chars, I can run over holy-weak foes).
Pull for Syncs, you'll end up with more than me if you spread your pulls out amoungst the 5 festival banners.

Meta is all about having a Sync (best) or Awakening (good), they are single use double cast limit breaks but you can buy USBs from the shop to use after they run out.

Glints and Arcane Overstrikes can speed things up too. Chains are still required but there's a free version on the fights you need them for.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
FF12 is basically star wars with several character arcs. First is the two kids in an occupied nation. Then there is the disgraced knight and abandoned princess seeking revenge. Then is Fran and Leading Man trying to unfuck things his father unleashed on the world. The finale is basically the common thread, Vayne's ambitions fucking over the world and Vaynes brother working with you to end that conflict. The real hero of FF12 is Cid (Balthier's father) who conspires with a rogue god to break the world from an endless cycle of slavery to the gods that sets off endless conflicts and fueled Vayne's ambitions. Biggest problem with FF12 is Vayne has almost no direct interaction with any of the main characters.

The Shinra connection is basically sort of cannon. Its complicated and even gayer than cross dressing cloud, so don't bother digging too deep into it.

• 1Like

bytes

Molten Core Raider
I'd rather have Dragons Dogma 2 than this shit, can Square please stop poaching developers?

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
They actually fucked up Dragons Dogma by trying to turn it into an MMO. ITs amazing how devs with great IPs seem so hellbent on giving people the complete opposite of what they want these days.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
They actually fucked up Dragons Dogma by trying to turn it into an MMO. ITs amazing how devs with great IPs seem so hellbent on giving people the complete opposite of what they want these days.

Whoa whoa whoa, dont you bring DD in this shit! DD:DA was some quality shit, i dont care how much you Skyrim bootlickers hate on it!

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Whoa whoa whoa, dont you bring DD in this shit! DD:DA was some quality shit, i dont care how much you Skyrim bootlickers hate on it!
Hey I just want a fun single player RPG, even an action one. The first DD was about as perfect of a game as there ever was at that time. Them spending all the effort making an MMO out of it was an immediate nope from me. It might have been a good game, but its now what made me like the original. I am not comparing it to Fallout 76 or anything, its just that its not what the draw was. Sometimes it can work (Fallout 3 moving into FPS RPG from isometric turn based, Wasteland 2 and 3 becoming tactics RPGs) but more often than not you just wave off your built in audience. FF has been on this path for years with the constant nudges towards action RPGs and the horrifically incomprehensible (or just plain gay) plots. FF7 was actually the real point that this trend gained momentum (no class system at all, Cross Dressing Cloud, super nihilistic) but 6 was so good and a lot of things were so new in 7 that a lot of us gave it a pass. In retrospect, its really where the spiral started. I think 12 was sort of an attempt at a course correction, but from 13 on it has been a lot of treadmill shit tier anime plots and Action elements replacing turn based systems.

And I know the turn based battle line em up on each side is largely a dead genre, but tactical RPGs sure as hell are not. FFT and Tactics Ogre are still two of the highly regarded RPGs of all time and even Square Enix who made those games has made almost no attempt to build on that concept. Instead we get Japanese Soy Boy Mash X simulator every fucking game.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Hey I just want a fun single player RPG, even an action one. The first DD was about as perfect of a game as there ever was at that time. Them spending all the effort making an MMO out of it was an immediate nope from me. It might have been a good game, but its now what made me like the original. I am not comparing it to Fallout 76 or anything, its just that its not what the draw was. Sometimes it can work (Fallout 3 moving into FPS RPG from isometric turn based, Wasteland 2 and 3 becoming tactics RPGs) but more often than not you just wave off your built in audience. FF has been on this path for years with the constant nudges towards action RPGs and the horrifically incomprehensible (or just plain gay) plots. FF7 was actually the real point that this trend gained momentum (no class system at all, Cross Dressing Cloud, super nihilistic) but 6 was so good and a lot of things were so new in 7 that a lot of us gave it a pass. In retrospect, its really where the spiral started. I think 12 was sort of an attempt at a course correction, but from 13 on it has been a lot of treadmill shit tier anime plots and Action elements replacing turn based systems.

And I know the turn based battle line em up on each side is largely a dead genre, but tactical RPGs sure as hell are not. FFT and Tactics Ogre are still two of the highly regarded RPGs of all time and even Square Enix who made those games has made almost no attempt to build on that concept. Instead we get Japanese Soy Boy Mash X simulator every fucking game.
Highly regarded doesn't mean a new one would sell well. Now it's possible they could start the revival of a fairly dead genre but the few games that still release in this genre aren't probably hitting crazy enough sales for them to bother. I'd say the best case scenario was Valkyria Chronicles, which was also very well received yet only sold barely a million on console, and then managed to sell another million when it re-released on Steam(a fair amount of which were probably double dips but still). Even if we look at the western strategy RPGs, X-Com 2 only sold about 1.5millions and that's a really big franchise.

Now those aren't terrible numbers, but you'd be looking at a certain amount of money spent on the game that would aim for "only" 1-2million sales that might not match up with the expectations of people who want a new FFT, and as such you might hit even lower sales numbers as a result.

Meanwhile the action RPG girls/boys band anime stuff people seem to hate so much sell ~10millions(FF13 was over 10million counting the 2 sequels, XV is almost 10millions on its own and also had a bunch of DLCs).

• 1Like

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Highly regarded doesn't mean a new one would sell well. Now it's possible they could start the revival of a fairly dead genre but the few games that still release in this genre aren't probably hitting crazy enough sales for them to bother. I'd say the best case scenario was Valkyria Chronicles, which was also very well received yet only sold barely a million on console, and then managed to sell another million when it re-released on Steam(a fair amount of which were probably double dips but still). Even if we look at the western strategy RPGs, X-Com 2 only sold about 1.5millions and that's a really big franchise.

Now those aren't terrible numbers, but you'd be looking at a certain amount of money spent on the game that would aim for "only" 1-2million sales that might not match up with the expectations of people who want a new FFT, and as such you might hit even lower sales numbers as a result.

Meanwhile the action RPG girls/boys band anime stuff people seem to hate so much sell ~10millions(FF13 was over 10million counting the 2 sequels, XV is almost 10millions on its own and also had a bunch of DLCs).

I would say FF has a lot more brand recognition than Valkyria Chronicles, plenty of people likely bought FF15 on name alone. A better comparison might be Fire Emblem.

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
4 years? No wonder is looks game of thrones-ish. I would rather have liked to see a FFIV style in modern graphics... but hey.. at least it's not science fiction this time.