Final Fantasy I-VI Pixel Remaster Series

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I am a steam engineer, and I study quite a bit. But playing video games is WAY better.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Screenshot_20230603_235208_FF4 (3D).jpg

Did some more with this, got level 99 and one Onion Sword. Would have liked two, but I think Cecil is gonna be bracing and drawing attacks anyway.

Proto-Babil awaits. Hard mode, with one Limit Break. This'll be the big final boss of the FF series for me for now.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Screenshot_20230608_153307_Video Player.jpg

Finally got around to fighting Proto-Babil, won in one try. I think I over prepared because that wasn't bad at all. Just had to count his HP and unleash the last 125,000 or so damage in burst form. One 99999 Kain jump (Focus x3 and Darkness powered) plus 2x Meteor from Rydia and a Fuma Shuriken from Edge was enough (and had Rosa casting a 2x Holy if it hadn't been). The boss never even got to do his ultimate attack. Would have been easier with two Limit Break augs of course, but it was fine. Not sure I even needed the one Onion Sword I farmed. The one downside to the fight was that it took about 5 minutes longer than it needed to because I had to re-setup Kain right before the final push because he got 9999'd just before doing the powered-up jump (Proto took 2 turns in a row basically).

For the strategy and preparation required that really does seem like the superboss of superbosses, so it's pretty fitting that it was the last superboss for me to beat in main series FF games. Done with the FF series for a while now, that was a fun couple of months.

• 1Like

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
Holy shit fuck ff4.
the story is pretty good and I like learning the history of some things I’ve seen in ffxiv, but what an annoying piece of shit this game is.

• It’s not quite turn based but also not quite real time. So unless I slow in the first 2 seconds of combat I get smoked 3 times while I’m trying to navigate the fucking menus
  • im at the final boss in the mid 60s and I just get smoked. fucker does some energy beam shit that does 3k dmg. I can’t keep up the healing no matter what I do so even if I last 10 turns it’s just a battle of attrition. And ohh yea, every time I die I have to watch the entire pre-battle cutscene shit again. FML. i think I need to go back down the dungeon and farm 10+ levels or something
  • every. Fucking. Thing. In this game counters some gay ass shit. Status effects, massive dmg physical attack each time you press a button, whatever. It’s beyond annoying.

Ive read the strats and know the dude counters with energy beam when you cast, so ive stopped casting, but it just flat out does more dmg than I can heal. I can survive 1-3 of the beams but then someone dies and I’m stuck in a perpetual loop of trying to rez that person while still being blasted and eventually I just can’t recover.

3 was my favorite so far

joz123

Potato del Grande
Holy shit fuck ff4.
the story is pretty good and I like learning the history of some things I’ve seen in ffxiv, but what an annoying piece of shit this game is.

• It’s not quite turn based but also not quite real time. So unless I slow in the first 2 seconds of combat I get smoked 3 times while I’m trying to navigate the fucking menus
  • im at the final boss in the mid 60s and I just get smoked. fucker does some energy beam shit that does 3k dmg. I can’t keep up the healing no matter what I do so even if I last 10 turns it’s just a battle of attrition. And ohh yea, every time I die I have to watch the entire pre-battle cutscene shit again. FML. i think I need to go back down the dungeon and farm 10+ levels or something
  • every. Fucking. Thing. In this game counters some gay ass shit. Status effects, massive dmg physical attack each time you press a button, whatever. It’s beyond annoying.

Ive read the strats and know the dude counters with energy beam when you cast, so ive stopped casting, but it just flat out does more dmg than I can heal. I can survive 1-3 of the beams but then someone dies and I’m stuck in a perpetual loop of trying to rez that person while still being blasted and eventually I just can’t recover.

3 was my favorite so far
Oh My God Wow GIF

• 1Like

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
dude. I’m so frustrated. I gave up I. The 100% shit and just tried to enjoy this game. But from level 15 on, when some fucking porcupine thing would quill me for 300hp every time I hit him I got irritated. Then a flower would breathe on me and cast pig/silence/frog/mini/blind whatever else. After every fucking fight I would basically have to cast ensuna and use hi-potions. Or I could heal during the fight but then it drags on. Better to nuke and deal with it after.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Holy shit fuck ff4.

3 was my favorite so far
Is there not a pause battle when navigating menus in options grandpa? I mean it’s too late now but perhaps look for it in ff5 and 6.

• 1Like

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I hope he's playing 3D, all the other versions of FF4 are pretty much cake walks in comparison. But that game was hard, even for someone who's played the shit out of FF4.

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
I’m playing PR. And I didn’t say it wasn’t easy except for maybe 3 fights that gave me a challenge. It’s just annoying. Every single mob you hit or cast on does some annoying fucking counter, I didn’t get ribbons until the last dungeons so after every fight I would have to remove 3-4 status effects from people and the counters are just so strong I’m also healing after every fight.

maybe That is how an rpg should be? Just compared to ff1-3(PR) where I was steamrolling things without even trying to overlever stuff it is a giant wake up call. I don’t mind the challenge in the sense of using a strategy or the right spells, but the constant counters and unblockable status effects every fight is just flat out annoying.

and as far as the last fight, yes I’m finding that one difficult as he nukes everyone at the start for 3k when I have 4k hp. I can get my health back up before the next ones but by the 4th or 5th I die and have not done enough dmg yet. Yes, I am slowing him as well. I don’t mind losing either, get better and try again, but I also need to watch the entire cutscene over and over. So I think I’m just going to head down a few floors to the save point and farm 10 more levels

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
I’m playing PR. And I didn’t say it wasn’t easy except for maybe 3 fights that gave me a challenge. It’s just annoying. Every single mob you hit or cast on does some annoying fucking counter, I didn’t get ribbons until the last dungeons so after every fight I would have to remove 3-4 status effects from people and the counters are just so strong I’m also healing after every fight.

maybe That is how an rpg should be? Just compared to ff1-3(PR) where I was steamrolling things without even trying to overlever stuff it is a giant wake up call. I don’t mind the challenge in the sense of using a strategy or the right spells, but the constant counters and unblockable status effects every fight is just flat out annoying.

and as far as the last fight, yes I’m finding that one difficult as he nukes everyone at the start for 3k when I have 4k hp. I can get my health back up before the next ones but by the 4th or 5th I die and have not done enough dmg yet. Yes, I am slowing him as well. I don’t mind losing either, get better and try again, but I also need to watch the entire cutscene over and over. So I think I’m just going to head down a few floors to the save point and farm 10 more levels

FF4 in particular was fairly annoying with the counters, I agree. I think the status effect complaints are hyperbole though, there are some annoying mobs but it's far from most mobs. In fact the status shit was more annoying for me in FF3 with all the mini/toad shit.

Zeromus is a big faggot, I beat him at level 70+ (had to get that trophy anyway), and he wasn't bad, but I did try him around 55 and I was like "lol right."

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
Ok, I stand by my original statements, but I now understand why everyone was laughing at me.

First time in the final dungeon, around level 50 and it was an absolute brutal slog. Burned through all my potions and skills, finally got all the special weapons and attempt boss. Died 3-4 times, now around 58-62.

Complain on FoH

Crawl my way back out of the dungeon(on purpose to try and xp) go back to earth, replenish all my missing potions. Start dungeon over, now around 63-65. Literally fight my way back up to the floor which has the save point. I now have 99 cabins and it is my intent to farm that floor using cabins as needed until I feel comfortable to try boss again. However this time, on my way back to that spot I could literally do auto-mode with normal attacks and only heal every 5ish fights. Completely different than my first experience!

• Can completely farm for near infinity with only auto-attack
  • Status effects barely ever land
  • Behemoth's counter physical attack previously did 700+ now does maybe 250
  • Every level after 70 starts giving me more than 1 point in each stat, making me significantly stronger
  • Go back up to boss, win on first attempt.....can literally heal everyone to full with 1 cast of the high level cure from rosa Everyone else just attacks
  • Used 2 of the 99 cabins I bought

Sigh. It seems i was just drastically underleveled/geared for the content. The entire farming process above took maybe 2-3 hours, so not terrible.

Last edited:

Chris

Potato del Grande
Ok, I stand by my original statements, but I now understand why everyone was laughing at me.

First time in the final dungeon, around level 50 and it was an absolute brutal slog. Burned through all my potions and skills, finally got all the special weapons and attempt boss. Died 3-4 times, now around 58-62.

Complain on FoH

Crawl my way back out of the dungeon(on purpose to try and xp) go back to earth, replenish all my missing potions. Start dungeon over, now around 63-65. Literally fight my way back up to the floor which has the save point. I now have 99 cabins and it is my intent to farm that floor using cabins as needed until I feel comfortable to try boss again. However this time, on my way back to that spot I could literally do auto-mode with normal attacks and only heal every 5ish fights. Completely different than my first experience!

• Can completely farm for near infinity with only auto-attack
  • Status effects barely ever land
  • Behemoth's counter physical attack previously did 700+ now does maybe 250
  • Every level after 70 starts giving me more than 1 point in each stat, making me significantly stronger
  • Go back up to boss, win on first attempt.....can literally heal everyone to full with 1 cast of the high level cure from rosa Everyone else just attacks
  • Used 2 of the 99 cabins I bought

Sigh. It seems i was just drastically underleveled/geared for the content. The entire farming process above took maybe 2-3 hours, so not terrible.
The only thing that's hard in Pixel Remaster are Cloud of Darkness and Zeromus spamming Particle Beam/Big Bang and I was around lv50 in FF4.

I don't remember counter attacks at all unless it's a Lightning Whelk or Guard Scorpion, feels like you are doing something wrong.

• 1Seriously?

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
FF2 down and FF3 started, where all the early FF games developed by the same team? The FF2 spell/skill systems being very different is interesting.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
FF2 down and FF3 started, were all the early FF games developed by the same team? The FF2 spell/skill systems being very different is interesting.
It had a larger team and people from the first game had different roles on the second game. It was early in the series and they were experimenting.

• 1Like