Final Fantasy VII Remake

Zaide

TLP Idealist
Starting the second mission now, party level is 16. So far the game is a lot of fun, I have been enjoying combat but I do wish I could use my magic without filling the ATB bar or w/e first.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Also, clearly the only acceptable way to max the darts minigame in 6 throws is 3 triple 20's, a single 20, a triple 17, and a bullseye to finish.

Siliconemelons

How does classic combat work...do you still only control 1 character and the others work off of some stupid ai while running around aimlessly

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I ended up doing the sidequests as I go in this first go-around, even though I want to see the end of the game sooner than later. Turns out the sidequests are all really short, at least in the early-game, and inoffensive. Even did the "kill 50 monsters" non-labelled sidequest and got MP Up from that random babe. Point is I ended up actually wanting to do them all and it worked out fine.

Right now the only thing I'd change about the game is that it'd be nice if you could switch your lead character outside of battles so I could look at Tifa instead of Cloud.

• 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Gotta be up early so only got to dip my toe in for an hour, work is gonna draaaaag tomorrow.

Few QOL improvements I noticed from the demo. You can turn down the camera stick sensativity in the options and it was a game changer for me. Also, I found moving the camera back made combat and exploration a little more fluid. Speaking of combat, it took me till the end of the demo to get the hang of it but now going through it again at release knowing what I know i'm really quite enjoying it. Can't wait to get into materia and whatnot. Lastly, they fixed it so you don't need your ATB bar full to use a potion out of combat which is a no brainer. Got stuck in a bit of a death loop in the demo because of that. Couldn't get JP audio to work though, gonna have to look into that. Lips not syncing with the dub is kinda triggering.

Soon as the intro started I got all those feels I got as a 15 year old way back when the original launched. Really wasn't expecting that. Trading in my juice boxes for cheap beer, it's gonna be a fun weekend!

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
Am I getting too old for this shit? I'm on the first boss and no idea what the fuck I'm looking at, or what I'm targetting lol..

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Metalhead

Blackwing Lair Raider
Gotta be up early so only got to dip my toe in for an hour, work is gonna draaaaag tomorrow.

Few QOL improvements I noticed from the demo. You can turn down the camera stick sensativity in the options and it was a game changer for me. Also, I found moving the camera back made combat and exploration a little more fluid. Speaking of combat, it took me till the end of the demo to get the hang of it but now going through it again at release knowing what I know i'm really quite enjoying it. Can't wait to get into materia and whatnot. Lastly, they fixed it so you don't need your ATB bar full to use a potion out of combat which is a no brainer. Got stuck in a bit of a death loop in the demo because of that. Couldn't get JP audio to work though, gonna have to look into that. Lips not syncing with the dub is kinda triggering.

Soon as the intro started I got all those feels I got as a 15 year old way back when the original launched. Really wasn't expecting that. Trading in my juice boxes for cheap beer, it's gonna be a fun weekend!

I am man enough to admit that when the FF7 logo flashed during the intro while the camera pans above the city and the music really hits I teared up a little. God damn.

• 4Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 5 users

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
I’m a few hours in and I’d been scoffing at Utnayans rants about textures until I saw this door. This is my apartment, it’s a door I can interact with, and even after ten minutes the appropriate texture doesn’t “pop” in.

View attachment 261595

Also, seems like they’re really weebing it up with the invisible monsters thing.

The worst texture I've seen is when you get to that one place after that, I think where you do the lights. At the very beginning there you can clearly see two seperate non-seamless textures on the wall.

However, with that said, I'm having a fuckload of fun and taking my time with everything. 15 hours in and am in the kids hideout. The texture thing doesn't bother me, though it is a very low-quality deal form Square for sure.

Is there any way to change the controls? Using X to being up a menu is constantly fucking with me.

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Has there been any discussion as to when the second part is likely to release? Are we talking 6 months, a year, more?

Zaide

TLP Idealist
Really depends if they're working on a mainline 16. I'd guess we're 2-3 years out

This was my biggest issue going into the game, I originally planned to just wait until the whole thing was done because I don’t want to spread the remake out over the better part of a decade.

But then 2020 happened.

It would be cool if they could do the next few parts in 12 to 18 month intervals but I don’t believe that for a second sadly.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
A big part of the work is the art assets; since they can reuse a good portion (reskin monsters, main characters, etc) it should cut down overall development time to a degree on any sequel. Granted, knowing square they will want to spend a non-trivial amount of time modifying the character's looks to a degree just "because" so that may be somewhat negated, but just having the combat animations and what not in should reduce overall development time a bit.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I am man enough to admit that when the FF7 logo flashed during the intro while the camera pans above the city and the music really hits I teared up a little. God damn.

That's been me a couple times too. The Barret/Marlene stuff with Tifa's theme playing also gets me a little bit, and just being able to look around at Midgar.

Has there been any discussion as to when the second part is likely to release? Are we talking 6 months, a year, more?

I don't think Square said anything concrete, though if I had to guess...18 months between episodes? They've got the engine and basic assets all finished, which should speed up development time. It wouldn't shock me if it ended up being a yearly release, but I know better than to get my hopes up with Square. Might be bi-yearly. We'll see. If I were a betting man I'd put part two at Q4 2021 though, on PS5.

A big part of the work is the art assets; since they can reuse a good portion (reskin monsters, main characters, etc) it should cut down overall development time to a degree on any sequel. Granted, knowing square they will want to spend a non-trivial amount of time modifying the character's looks to a degree just "because" so that may be somewhat negated, but just having the combat animations and what not in should reduce overall development time a bit.

That reminds me of the Xenosaga series. It wasn't Square, but it ended up being a bit of a disaster. They had goals of making it a six-part series and ended up shortening it to 3 (with the story heavily rushed) because it was too expensive. The way the characters looked completely changed between episodes, as did the combat systems, etc. I hope FF7 doesn't end up being another Xenosaga. Funny thing is the original concept of Xenosaga was for it to be a drastically-expanded multi-game reimagining of the Xenogears story, sorta like this game.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Can’t believe I am saying this but going to wait for full game, getting to end of this one will just be aggravating.

• 1Solidarity

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
I love that we are a terrorist cell that uses public transport. Well that and people don't seem to react to the 7 foot tall muscled dude with a minigun where his arm should be.

Last edited:
  • 1Like