Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Palum

what Suineg set it to
This expac is tilting me hard. God damn is this bad.

This is basically FFXIV Dragonflight

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Valorath

Trakanon Raider
lol. I'm enjoying it well enough. It's a vacation for the Warrior of Light bro, relax!! Just finished the first trial - that fight was a lot of fun! Gonna be awesome on extreme.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to
lol. I'm enjoying it well enough. It's a vacation for the Warrior of Light bro, relax!! Just finished the first trial - that fight was a lot of fun! Gonna be awesome on extreme.
That's fine and if it was literally just find the city or gold it would be Indiana Jones expac and be ok. The whole political thing is aggravating.

Magimaster

Trakanon Raider

I've been enjoying it as well; the WoL is on vacation and the Scions are playing Mentor Roulette with the Dawnservants kids. The WoL gets to relax and if things really go pear-shaped we get to go remind everyone why we get to put Godslayer on our business card.

I'm only into the 3rd zone but I'm sure once we reach the city and beyond that the Scions will end up having to step in rather than playing the more passive backup they have been until now since whatever is in there will be way outside what the Turalli can handle.

localhost

Golden Knight of the Realm
Seriously, it is awful.
The leaders we met before were Aymeric, Hien, compare that to Wuk Lamat...Hildebrand would make a better more suited ruler than her! And less annoying. Why the fuck the WoL would even agree to come and just stay here nodding at her.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
FFXIVGFX.png

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Plausible Deniability. See look we're helping with some ordinary stuff, it's not like twisted star ending stuff happens because we're around!

Chris

Potato del Grande
Hit 100 but hardly touched the last zone yet.

It seems like all the story is contained in the 5th zone, it is very interesting and I stopped skipping the story scenes, but I don't know why the other stuff is here.

They should have combined the first two zones, have half a zone of succession story for the first few zones (rest being the next story) and then split the 5th zone into three zones.

They have taken from FF9 for the last two zones, but they took the wrong stuff.

They didn't take the out of place ruins in undiscovered continents or haunting music, they took Alexandria and music/themes from there, only the first hour of FF9.

They took the planet merge and Memoria but upgraded them to sci-fi of a sort FF14 has already covered, which makes it way less enigmatic than the Gaia civilisation in FF9.

I hate the 6th zone. I hope to god it gets better, but I turned off the game. They may have killed FF14.

That being said, these are the best dungeons I've done in any MMO. The level of challenge is very satisfying.

Last edited:

Mao

Trakanon Raider
I appreciate the complaint that the first couple zones are more visual novel than MMO game. Only like two fights? in total for the zones and its a long rather slog. Swapping over to the JP voice for Wuk Lamat was a game changer though. I actually feel like she is a good hearted, compassionate person who is trying to deal with personal insecurities in order to strive for the good of her people from a place of genuine care. The EN voice is insecure smug, flat, and seems to have the unwarranted entitled belief she should rule. Its a vacuous personality that quite literally makes me hope she is eaten by a coeurl.

I talked a friend who is a JP voice purist into listening to a cutscene in EN. I think his responce was on the level of, "My god, what is wrong with it." Was amusing cause we were disagreeing over the character, "I don't get why you hate her so much. Yeah, she's young and naive but she's not that bad..." swapped to 'Oh...... oooohhh..... my god."

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Chris

Potato del Grande
I appreciate the complaint that the first couple zones are more visual novel than MMO game. Only like two fights? in total for the zones and its a long rather slog. Swapping over to the JP voice for Wuk Lamat was a game changer though. I actually feel like she is a good hearted, compassionate person who is trying to deal with personal insecurities in order to strive for the good of her people from a place of genuine care. The EN voice is insecure smug, flat, and seems to have the unwarranted entitled belief she should rule. Its a vacuous personality that quite literally makes me hope she is eaten by a coeurl.

I talked a friend who is a JP voice purist into listening to a cutscene in EN. I think his responce was on the level of, "My god, what is wrong with it." Was amusing cause we were disagreeing over the character, "I don't get why you hate her so much. Yeah, she's young and naive but she's not that bad..." swapped to 'Oh...... oooohhh..... my god."
Someone said ingame... She's ARR "Crystal Braves" era Alphinaud and there's no Heavensward to develop the character.

Worst thing is that she's going to show up randomly from now on, like Aymeric or Hien does.

Wait. Just had a thought.

Didn't we already do this succession stuff in Azim Steppe? That zone was really fun, but would have dragged if it was three.

Merrith

The voice acting stuff doesn't bug me in the slightest, but I know people have their tastes. Lot of world building first 3 zones, into the meat of the real story now. 97 dungeon music was so good, and the fights have been a lot of fun. Avoiding spoilers cause eager to see where this goes. Obviously I had some theories and thoughts, but they haven't quite been right at all (although so far what little info I have is within the "ok yeah" realm of I'm cool with that).

Mao

Trakanon Raider
Comparing Wuk Lamat to ARR Alphie is interesting. ARR Alphi was annoying as shit, but at least had competence to back him up. His comeuppance though was like honey.

The reason the voice acting bugs me, and perhaps this is a me thing, is it keeps ruining the suspension of disbelief. Every step of the way I kept finding myself questioning why am I helping this person? This petulant child would be the downfall of her country if she becomes leader. Nothing about her inspires any belief she should be allowed anywhere near rulership. So every time she opened her mouth in a cutscene I just wanted to nope out. Only reason to put her in place is if I wanted a puppet and running the damn thing myself. This is especially worsened by the examples of leaders we've had before. Hell, I'm not a fan of Lyse but she stood head and shoulders above what Wuk is present as in the English.

JP comes off as earnest, yet unsure and growing. It makes the trip around the nation to learn and grow feel much more on the mark.

Again this may be just a me thing but it was extremely jarring and immersion breaking in the EN.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Merrith

Comparing Wuk Lamat to ARR Alphie is interesting. ARR Alphi was annoying as shit, but at least had competence to back him up. His comeuppance though was like honey.

The reason the voice acting bugs me, and perhaps this is a me thing, is it keeps ruining the suspension of disbelief. Every step of the way I kept finding myself questioning why am I helping this person? This petulant child would be the downfall of her country if she becomes leader. Nothing about her inspires any belief she should be allowed anywhere near rulership. So every time she opened her mouth in a cutscene I just wanted to nope out. Only reason to put her in place is if I wanted a puppet and running the damn thing myself. This is especially worsened by the examples of leaders we've had before. Hell, I'm not a fan of Lyse but she stood head and shoulders above what Wuk is present as in the English.

JP comes off as earnest, yet unsure and growing. It makes the trip around the nation to learn and grow feel much more on the mark.

Again this may be just a me thing but it was extremely jarring and immersion breaking in the EN.

early on she's definitely like that, I guess I just thought she progressed actually at a somewhat believable (for FF standards) way and became way less petulant child. It's funny everyone compares her to Lyse, another person I was more than happy to just be a one expansion main character, but no real problems with, either. I never get any sense of how they "sound" in JP without being able to understand the language. It's like how some people hate Emet's English VA and sweat by the JP one...while think his English VA absolutely crushed the role in every way.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Koushirou Koushirou

Xbox issue mentioned

In the meantime, have you considered playing on Dynamis or another server with no queue just while they get it fixed?

Saw that. Asked if he wanted to hop to Dynamis a while back, but he said no. Wonder if maybe he didn't realize you can just visit vs. a full transfer. But yeah, sounds like it's going to be a bit. Pretty disappointing we've gotten almost nothing done over the early access, but oh well, we'll get it eventually. Just don't want to run into spoilers.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
Saw that. Asked if he wanted to hop to Dynamis a while back, but he said no. Wonder if maybe he didn't realize you can just visit vs. a full transfer. But yeah, sounds like it's going to be a bit. Pretty disappointing we've gotten almost nothing done over the early access, but oh well, we'll get it eventually. Just don't want to run into spoilers.

Yeah make sure he knows it's literally just two clicks to be able to jump to another server and a single click to come back, and is pretty much instantaneous both ways.

You won't have XP buff, or be able to do things like access retainers, but the MSQ would be 100% playable with no queue.

Chris

Potato del Grande

She has Hispanic SJW voice acting, where this person is the avatar of all hispanic people so can do no wrong and always must be 100% friendly. Thankfully she's not dropping in random spanish words, but she does have the taco obsession the trope normally has.

Imagine if Doma had Japanese accents and everyone liked sushi, or if Thavnir had Indian accented elphant people eating curry... oh wait...

Having global accents is fine, but you can't start half way through so the Arab and Japanese people already have English accents.

Now someone tell me why Erenvillie has a Spanish accent and his villiage is USA American.

Mao

Trakanon Raider
early on she's definitely like that, I guess I just thought she progressed actually at a somewhat believable (for FF standards) way and became way less petulant child. It's funny everyone compares her to Lyse, another person I was more than happy to just be a one expansion main character, but no real problems with, either. I never get any sense of how they "sound" in JP without being able to understand the language. It's like how some people hate Emet's English VA and sweat by the JP one...while think his English VA absolutely crushed the role in every way.
I have very much been a EN holdout amongst my friends and thought Emet was wonderful. The Endwalker set of Ascian VAs were all good. FF14 has been one of the few games or shows where I have felt the EN voice cast has been stellar pretty much across the board. I didn't actually dislike Lyse either, character or VA. Just felt she was way in over her head for running a country and they resolved that by having Raubhan act in concert with her. Lyse felt believable in her role, even if she wasn't as good of a character as some of the rest of the cast.

I play a lot of gacha and asian games and generally find myself swapping to the Asian voice actors at some point. A friend of mine described it as most of the EN voice acting community is still trying to put animated works and games on the same level as Saturday morning cartoons and not 'real' acting. I don't think that is far off the mark, but FF14 has been a happy exception.

Chris Chris : I haven't seen the Hispanic accent of Wuk Lamat myself but I am not familiar with it and a number of other people have said the same. She just seems off. The SJW 'oh she's so cute and quirky and can do no wrong' doesn't feel too far off the mark. And if in game chat and social media feeds are any indication, this is how people are treating her and they all seem to revere her character. I almost feel like I am taking crazy pills and partly why I keep commenting on it here. I'm in a huge mega FC and they gush over her and I just can't figure it.

I'm told I'm just too old and jaded :)

Merrith

Oh no I see plenty of people disliking Wuk Lamat, especially early on in the story. Was a lot of backlash over it back in the 6.55 MSQ, as well. It just seemed at least partially intended, if a little over the top on the VA part.