Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Mao

Trakanon Raider
I'm trying to reserve judgement until actually getting through it all, but if I have to give one more fucking pep talk...
1719701785224.png

• 5Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I havent heard good things so far - I mean Im not surprised that the story could be better. I feel like theyre probably in some kind of weird limbo/transition era. But.. is there anything actually good to say? :/

Granted, I'm not to any of the big reveals yet, almost to end of 3rd zone, but I've been enjoying it so far. It's a lot of world building over in a new area, for sure, but with obvious hints that there is something bigger waiting towards the end. Some of the musical choices are weird, but they always are. Most of it has been top notch. 2nd part of 3rd zone is unreal gorgeous.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mao

Trakanon Raider
I don't think its really bad so far, though I am just at the beginning. It just feels, out of place and like it is aimed at a different audience. I expect we'll eventually get into something more meaty that requires us to come together with the power of friendship to save the world, just like how our simple 'treasure hunt' turned out opening a portal to hell in our Vishy' dragon's personal basement. But atm, we're on some whim of a joy trip coming of age story with a young girl with a heart of gold who we're watching grow to try and become the young leader of a nation.

Meanwhile, our character has seen multiple coups, assassinations, revolutions and all other sorts of political nastiness but we're just bouncing along like this is a vacation and not at all concerned about any of the other claimants starting a civil war. On top of that, our dear friends are backing another claimant and seem to be treating the thing like a Mtn Dew online vote to name a new flavor. No reaching out to the WoL to discuss what is possibly the best future for what is literally an entire continent.

In isolation its not a bad story, however having experienced the coup with the Crystal Braves and the shit in Uldah and Ishgard its tough to just ignore our history and go, "Nah, it'll be fine".

So far its a decent coming of age story that I think will go well with people who relate to Wuk Lamat's character. Unfortunately that might not be me.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Malakriss

Y'shtola outfit doesn't come with pants so I glamoured a black swimsuit years ago. Meanwhile in the 4th zone we get this camera angle during a quest...

ffxiv_06292024_200731_119.png

• 1Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to
So like 4 hours into the expac I get my first combat. Against a frog that spawns when you loot something in a cave.

This ain't good.

• 1Solidarity

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
I don't think its really bad so far, though I am just at the beginning. It just feels, out of place and like it is aimed at a different audience. I expect we'll eventually get into something more meaty that requires us to come together with the power of friendship to save the world, just like how our simple 'treasure hunt' turned out opening a portal to hell in our Vishy' dragon's personal basement. But atm, we're on some whim of a joy trip coming of age story with a young girl with a heart of gold who we're watching grow to try and become the young leader of a nation.

Meanwhile, our character has seen multiple coups, assassinations, revolutions and all other sorts of political nastiness but we're just bouncing along like this is a vacation and not at all concerned about any of the other claimants starting a civil war. On top of that, our dear friends are backing another claimant and seem to be treating the thing like a Mtn Dew online vote to name a new flavor. No reaching out to the WoL to discuss what is possibly the best future for what is literally an entire continent.

In isolation its not a bad story, however having experienced the coup with the Crystal Braves and the shit in Uldah and Ishgard its tough to just ignore our history and go, "Nah, it'll be fine".

So far its a decent coming of age story that I think will go well with people who relate to Wuk Lamat's character. Unfortunately that might not be me.

I think the expac would have started a lot better if our initial reason for going over was to help Krile try to find info on her grandfather, 'cause of course we'll go and help our homie and yo, city of gold? Awesome, adventure and helping a friend. There is literally 0 reason for us to put our hat in the ring for a person we've never interacted with and a country we know fuck all about. If we went over with Krile first, then maybe we could have been pulled into the coming contest or whatever indirectly, maybe interacted with the claimants that way and through our interactions with them realize that we need to back Wuk because the others blow for whatever reasons.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Malakriss

I’m almost 95 doing level 93 MSQ. Debating about leveling another job before I continue
The 6 fates per zone for riding map, sidequests for aether currents, and map exploration I would recommend doing on an alternate job if you are 2 levels ahead of MSQ. Even a 92 tank can hold up against 96 fates and DPS will appreciate the AOE roundup.

• 1Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Aggressive traders with large prosthetic nose masks which seek to dominate using trade.

Hmmmmmmm

• 1Mother of God
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Merrith

I think the expac would have started a lot better if our initial reason for going over was to help Krile try to find info on her grandfather, 'cause of course we'll go and help our homie and yo, city of gold? Awesome, adventure and helping a friend. There is literally 0 reason for us to put our hat in the ring for a person we've never interacted with and a country we know fuck all about. If we went over with Krile first, then maybe we could have been pulled into the coming contest or whatever indirectly, maybe interacted with the claimants that way and through our interactions with them realize that we need to back Wuk because the others blow for whatever reasons.

Well 6.55 was supposed to be our interaction with her and introduction all at once.

And I mean, come on...obviously it's all about Krile's grandfather and the City of Gold at some point, right?

Palum

what Suineg set it to
This story is a swing and a miss so far. Koushirou is exactly right that, they could transition the A/B stories later on but man its bad so far. The protagonist is retarded and naive, everyone acts like its some sort of duty to see it through. The whole mishmash of the main city is... yea I have never liked the FFXIV fake and gay every civilization is America (based beast tribes) but this is even more ridiculous feeling because of the lore.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
I havent heard good things so far - I mean Im not surprised that the story could be better. I feel like theyre probably in some kind of weird limbo/transition era. But.. is there anything actually good to say? :/
Dungeons and trials are great. First part of the story is ass, second half is better by far but still kinda meh coming off Endwalker.

• 1Solidarity

Janx

<Silver Donator>
I strongly suggest turning off mount music btw, starting Zone 3, the music for the areas are great.
Yeah zone 3 onward it gets pretty damn good. The club remix of the Dawntrail main theme later on is pretty good. Some of the later music really has a throwback feel to older FF games.

Mao

Trakanon Raider
I finally broke down and switched over to the Japanese voices. I no longer want Wuk Lamat brained to death with a soup spoon. The difference is night and day. No, I don't speak Japanese but just something in the 'holy fuck I'm a retarded child' of her English mien reminds me of talking with the most obtuse modern day child.

If you haven't tried the JP voices, give it a shot. See if it ends the murderous desire to drown her in a 3 inch deep puddle and helps get you through the initial slog.

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
I’m almost 95 doing level 93 MSQ. Debating about leveling another job before I continue
There's about x1.5 what you need from MSQ.

I have levelled two jobs, WHM 98 and RDM 97 at the start of Zone 4. You can do the dungeons a few extra times or hit some FATES.

Chris

Potato del Grande
I get all that, and I am generally having faith that Yoshi will do a decent job tying it all together

I have faith enough in the FF story team to give them the pass, but it keeps grating like nails on a chalkboard.
It's not Yoshi.

Ishikawa is the story genius behind Shadowbringers/Endwalker and for whatever reason she isn't working on this expansion.

I just did minimal research and it seems like they put the guy who did the Dwarf/Pixie tribal quests in charge for the shit half, and the guy who did Werlyt is doing the better half (so some hope).

Feel like Stormblood where the Ala Migho stuff was terrible and the Doma stuff was OK. But this time you do all the shit first.

Aazrael

I still dont understand why they dont use the over world for the MSQ. Like why even have monsters there, the MSQ is just click shiny stuff and talk to people.