Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Seems they already started the upgrade campaign for PS3 > PS4. It lasts until December 2017(so a year+). Can pickup old PS3 copies of the game for cheap and upgrade to PS4 for not much, that said you'd still need Heavensward after(and evenually Stormblood too) so not as useful anymore.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
To the casual player, what does dropping support for the PS3 actually mean?
There's a ton of memory and UI implementation that could not be done due to the low specs of the PS3. Being able to see TP values for your group, linkshells above 128 people, having a minion+chocobo out at the same time, maximum inventory increases, and cities that don't require being split into separate zones are all going to be possible after the support is dropped.

dvoraen

Lord Nagafen Raider
The one part I'm personally ignorant on is:

How much of a gap between PS4 hardware and PC hardware is there with regards to the features available? I mean, obviously it's substantial, but how much variance are we talking here?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I'm not sure all of these are tied to PS3, especially stuff like inventory and towns, that sounds like server issues(the towns not sure maybe some spaghetti code in there, heavensward has areas that are way way bigger than cities and Ishgard itself is split into 2 but each area is like larger than Uldah combined it feels like). Minion+chocobo I'm not sure what's the issue, you mean like the cosmetics pets shit? The only issue with chocobo I remember is having them out+mounting but they fixed that in Heavensward.

I think mostly it's gonna be a matter of letting them do larger rooms with more stuff going on during boss fights, and develop on world boss content like hunts or the treasure hunt island exploration shit they added in HW. PS3 really couldn't handle shit with a lot of people, so they had to tone down some aspects of it, like amount of mobs, mob abilities and loot availability.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
The game looked dogshit when I played it on ps3. I thought it looked cool so I bought another copy of it which was like $20 back when it first came out

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
If dropping PS3 is all quality of life shit that would be awesome. I'm not too caring on the minion + bird crap, but having bird out and being able to queue for dungeon would be amazing. So would being able to queue for all stuff from duty menu. I fucking hate that for certain shit I gotta run to the NPC

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The one part I'm personally ignorant on is:

How much of a gap between PS4 hardware and PC hardware is there with regards to the features available? I mean, obviously it's substantial, but how much variance are we talking here?
The PS4 - PC gap should only be video resolution, feature limitations should no longer be any issue for development. I mean technically you might be able to do 4K 30fps with the new PS4 but original PS4s being limited to 1080p isn't going to hinder any more UI stuff.

krismunich

<Silver Donator>
is the GCD still 2.5 sec? That killed the game every time I tried it for me. Combat felt always super slow and waiiit-for-it . I would love to play FF XIV but after the DDR-pace WOW has nowadays I would last 10 mins after leaving the city

dvoraen

Lord Nagafen Raider
is the GCD still 2.5 sec? That killed the game every time I tried it for me. Combat felt always super slow and waiiit-for-it . I would love to play FF XIV but after the DDR-pace WOW has nowadays I would last 10 mins after leaving the city
Yes, it's still a 2.5 GCD. Whether that will change in 4.0 is hard to say. "Overhauling the battle system" is too vague to interpret until they drop more info on us from (I hope) JP and EU Fanfest. Not sure how PAX South or East will affect things, since we're talking January and April respectively.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I highly doubt overhauling the battle system means reducing the GCD, the GCD works fine and is helpful for gamepad support I think. It'd be a change to try to please some people that didn't like the game at the risk of displeasing many current players, a gamble that probably wouldn't be worth it. People who want faster gameplay play other games already.

The overhaul will probably be more like reworking rotations, cutting some skills to reduce bloat and adding better UI support for stuff to maintain your rotation more easily(especially temp buffs like the dragoon buff they mentionned already or black mage enochian or whatever else). They might also rework some class concepts, like bard/machinist. Maybe make paladins less boring again.

• 1Like

Croetec

Lord Nagafen Raider
Is their anyway around the patcher unable to patch certain files, [30413] [20495], and constantly crashes the patcher. Seems to be a wide spread problem that hasn't been fixed in years.

• 1Like

Kanglor

Silver Knight of the Realm
Is their anyway around the patcher unable to patch certain files, [30413] [20495], and constantly crashes the patcher. Seems to be a wide spread problem that hasn't been fixed in years.

I ended up having to d/l a free VPN, that's after spending hours trying every random suggestion I could find. Hard to believe it's still not fixed...

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Not sure if that shit's still going on but they had severe issues on all NA realms with certain ISPs from what I read.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
now that I am 100% casual and no desire to raid whatsoever, scripture grind and alt leveling is all I got. any more casual stuff that I can do. (apart from leves and crafting)