Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Nehrak_sl

shitlord
01-29-2016, 7:31 PM- I'm still digging it! /fanboy off.
Same here, but I'm taking a hiatus mostly because I've been Witcher binging and wasn't in the mood to grind the relic parts. ;p Having to restart Witcher 3 after being 20+ hours in because I imported the wrong save file didn't help.

I'm sad I don't get to haze Lolitini into becoming Afrotini though. You hypocrite.

smile.png

Major thing I want to know in 3.2 is mostly story things, particularly how the Warring Triad are classified (and what happens when one is defeated). In other words, they better give a straight answer about Primal vs. Eikon differences, like they've been hinting since 3.0's Extreme primal quest.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I started on a server that some of my RL friends had played on, and am about 2 months in. I'm not sure how I feel about the game yet, but there seems to be an awful lot of people who just aren't interested in the end game right now and are taking months off. The Hunts sound terrible (especially whatever the S rank bullshit is), if what I've overheard is any indication. I've seen a lot of complaints in linkshells about needing some program to know where a target is and then half the server seemingly rushing to get there before some douchebag pulls early and the target dies in a few seconds.

I cornered a couple of friends who quit and asked them why they said they weren't coming back, and their position was that they didn't see any reason to dedicate to a grind when in all likelihood their accomplishments would be reset every 6 months or so and they'd have a new grind to go through. That's their words, not mine, so I dunno. It does sound an awful lot like the complaints some people had with WOW whenever a new expac would come out and then you could get green/blue gear that was pretty much what your raid gear was.

I'm not a fan of gating the storyline quests behind forced dungeon content, especially given what I see as a disparity between available classes. And holy fucking shit at how bad the goldseller spam is. My Blacklist is large enough that I wonder if Square is even trying to combat them at all.

Citz

Silver Squire
And holy fucking shit at how bad the goldseller spam is. My Blacklist is large enough that I wonder if Square is even trying to combat them at all.
If you don't feel like using a third party software (guildwork) for that, the easiest way to fix it is to put your whispers in a different tab and forget about it.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
I cornered a couple of friends who quit and asked them why they said they weren't coming back, and their position was that they didn't see any reason to dedicate to a grind when in all likelihood their accomplishments would be reset every 6 months or so and they'd have a new grind to go through. That's their words, not mine, so I dunno. It does sound an awful lot like the complaints some people had with WOW whenever a new expac would come out and then you could get green/blue gear that was pretty much what your raid gear was.
I don't knwo what it's like today but THIS right here is exactly why people have such great and fond memories of Everquest. Your gear didn't get some kind of reset every expac because ilvl got bumped up. I'm especially surprised by this in FFXIV, because FFXI did a great job of not mudflating (until the last year or two). Seriously, anyone that played FFXI, who didn't want a pair of these bad boys?

rrr_img_125288.png

In everquest, you had pieces of gear which lasted expac after expac, just because of something it could do. Cleric epic 1.0 for example. Or the old eye of zomm clicky.

Even your base gear, as long as level didn't change, could be very useful. You could get through a lot of/most of velious with kunark gear. And of course with gear dropping at such small rates we all know that sometimes you just wouldn't get the velious gear you wanted but that was ok, because you didn't need a full set of it because the encounters were not tuned around absolutely perfect gear. It either didnt drop or your guild didn't do AoW/KT/etc or whatever enough. But you made do. You were not hand fed cookie cutter items like they are doing in FFXIV now "XXXX Breastplate of XXX", "XXXX Armplates of XXXX", etc.

That's so cookie cutter and unoriginal.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
All the pieces of gear in FFXIV areboring, too. Everquest 2 had some cool sidegrade options - like whether I wanted the Holy Water Sprinkler gauntlets on my Templar or whether I wanted +Cast Speed gauntlets - but in FFXIV, it's just "prioritize your main stat and Det." The only role that has had some kind of gear variance has been tanks, but with the upcoming STR/VIT changes, that won't even be the case anymore.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I don't knwo what it's like today but THIS right here is exactly why people have such great and fond memories of Everquest. Your gear didn't get some kind of reset every expac because ilvl got bumped up. I'm especially surprised by this in FFXIV, because FFXI did a great job of not mudflating (until the last year or two). Seriously, anyone that played FFXI, who didn't want a pair of these bad boys?
I can see why developers want to keep content within reach for new players and casuals. I just don't agree with how far they tend to go; it's too extreme. Letting people start new toons at higher levels and trivializing old content while adding new grindy McContent might be great for new players but it can really discourage veterans. Plus with how quickly content cycles I can see relatively new players getting to the same point as the veterans all the quicker and then asking the same question: Did I just massively waste my time?

All the pieces of gear in FFXIV areboring, too. Everquest 2 had some cool sidegrade options - like whether I wanted the Holy Water Sprinkler gauntlets on my Templar or whether I wanted +Cast Speed gauntlets - but in FFXIV, it's just "prioritize your main stat and Det." The only role that has had some kind of gear variance has been tanks, but with the upcoming STR/VIT changes, that won't even be the case anymore.
I can't get over how often many skins get reused...it might be as bad as EQ2....maybe.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
I can see why developers want to keep content within reach for new players and casuals. I just don't agree with how far they tend to go; it's too extreme. Letting people start new toons at higher levels and trivializing old content while adding new grindy McContent might be great for new players but it can really discourage veterans. Plus with how quickly content cycles I can see relatively new players getting to the same point as the veterans all the quicker and then asking the same question: Did I just massively waste my time?

I can't get over how often many skins get reused...it might be as bad as EQ2....maybe.
Funny thing about that, one of the new "features" of the upcoming patch is that the popular Kirimu Coat, a snazzy chest piece previously only available to BRDs and MCHs, will have a new crafting recipe that allows it to be worn by all classes. That seems to be the 18th Floor's plan: release cool class-exclusive armor, then later make it available to the masses and call it a "new feature."

Vinen

God is dead

rrr_img_125288.png

In everquest, you had pieces of gear which lasted expac after expac, just because of something it could do. Cleric epic 1.0 for example. Or the old eye of zomm clicky.

Even your base gear, as long as level didn't change, could be very useful. You could get through a lot of/most of velious with kunark gear. And of course with gear dropping at such small rates we all know that sometimes you just wouldn't get the velious gear you wanted but that was ok, because you didn't need a full set of it because the encounters were not tuned around absolutely perfect gear. It either didnt drop or your guild didn't do AoW/KT/etc or whatever enough. But you made do. You were not hand fed cookie cutter items like they are doing in FFXIV now "XXXX Breastplate of XXX", "XXXX Armplates of XXXX", etc.

That's so cookie cutter and unoriginal.
Not Peacock Charm or Kraken Club. GTFO

Next thing you will say that Pin from Valkrum Dunes or something.

I miss Mr. Argus. Fucking made so much bank with that.
Waking up in the morning with a Peacock Charm in my inventory after an liquor induced nap was ROFLZ

PS: I miss FF 11. Was better then Everquest. FF14 is just WoW 2 electric boogaloo

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Of course, thats the thing, there were lots of pieces of loot like that. And yeahhhh kraken club, lawd. That's the thing. You can reminisce about loot like that.

You just don't have that for... "Aetherial Iron Breastplate of Maiming"

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Emperor's Hairpin, btw.

Equal access sort of does dumb down the rarity of various items. Relic weapons are something that are cool, when it takes lots of coordination and shit to get one. When it's just slogging through enough daily bullshit to unlock it, it definitely isn't as neat.

The fact that I don't think any NA guilds on Druzzil Ro (EQ reference hooooo) had a Palladius' Axe of Slaughter until after Luclin released is a good example for me. That shit was droolworthy as an SK. It was a reference point for -the best- shit you could attain with a certain class set. FFXIV has turned the second best weapon a class could receive into a grindfest, but an eventual unlock type grindfest. Changes the dynamic a lot.

I hope nobody who reads the theorycrafting threads viewed that statement.

Nehrak_sl

shitlord
Final Fantasy XIV Patch 3.2 Trailer

They sure made the throwback fight awful purty; Sephirot ain't gonna play around on Extreme I bet.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Rest assured I will be checking your last-login times and calling you out on it if you change your mind later~
Haha! I do really miss FFXIV but if I came back now, I'd end up quitting in a week. I need there to be more stuff to do before I make my glorious return!

...also I think my FC went RIP.

Stave

Potato del Grande
I quit before 3.1. I figure once I get bored of The Division, that will be a good time to come check out whats new in FFXIV.