Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
Would you say that this game is the least p2w game out there? I used to play this game hardcore and dropped out four month later....it has been almost a year....

did it get better?

There is absolutely nothing P2W with FFXIV. You need a monthly subscription and that's it. Unless you wanna buy an anime bunny costume or some exotic looking mount.

Coleslaw

Blackwing Lair Raider
Max level combat for Heavensward is aids. Playing a dragoon at 60 is just not fun and it killed the love I had for the game. Hopefully the next expansion does it better.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
See, the combat is perhaps what I love most about this game. Rotations feel great, abilities are extremely safisfying to use, keeping up DPS while also handling mechanics feels awesome. What I don't like is the experimental shit SE puts out instead of just sticking to what they know works because their experiments almost always turn out to be huge failures. (Choco Racing, Diadem, Verminion, Palace of the Dead.) The only experimental thing from them that I've liked is Aquapolis.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
BLMs were very proc based in ARR and it boosted our burst damage but then they decided we needed to be on a double timer clock that makes procs all but useless. Next expansion they'll either have to reverse course again or go so complex that everyone will switch to summoner and finally call them on it. Doesn't help that most boss have untargetable stages that last 5-20 seconds so we can only sit there watching our timers run out.

Malakriss

Third part of the moonfaire event is total troll right now. They decided it would be good design to require you to get non-duty level 30 enemies to low health and use a key item on them. Looked at it for 20 seconds then passed, maybe I'll care about it next week.

Zastlyn

Peasant
I recently subbed to this. it's ok so far. a little bit on the week side but it's OK overall. Is there any class/job that's completely useless later on in the game that I should avoid? originally I was going to be a scholar but then I saw that terrible casting animation and went conjurer.

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
No, they are all fine pretty much. Tanks seem to be in need(at least in my server cluster) when it comes to the daily roullette's. In general I like the game and consider it one of the better MMOs out there at the moment.

Malakriss

There's pairing between most classes so optimal raid groups tend to pick one from the pairs and not overstack. Like they would take a Summoner or a Black Mage, but not two or three of them. Bard and Machinist, Ninja and Monk, etc. None are unplayable but some are better for individual fights and such.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Don't play Paladin. Get Gladiator high enough to get Provoke then switch to Marauder/Warrior or Dark Knight.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Is paladin that bad? I just logged back in that's my only 50 class. I don't really remember how to play so I'm likely going to start over anyway. Can I use it for a sub job or anything at least?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Is paladin that bad? I just logged back in that's my only 50 class. I don't really remember how to play so I'm likely going to start over anyway. Can I use it for a sub job or anything at least?
I don't think it changed since I last played, but basically paladin had slightly better mitigation sometimes, but way worse damage all the time, so the downsides outweighted the upsides, making them an inferior choice for pretty much anything. On the other hand, short of whatever the current high end raiding is(savage whatever), that's pretty much entirely irrelevant. I mean you might save a couple of minutes running your daillies as a DRK/WAR because of the damage, maybe more if you're way fucking overgeared so you just chill in DPS stance doing max damage and hope the healer you got isn't a complete fucking retard, but it's mostly pointless. Paladin was more than fine for everything but savage where the enrage timers were so tight, it just was pretty boring. As in, they don't really have a whole lot of stuff to do, most of their skills are individual cooldowns you pop when you feel you need to be tankier and the rotation was ultra basic.

I doubt it's to the point where you'd want to reroll something else unless you want to do high end raiding, but yeah if you don't specifically want to play a paladin, the 2 other tanks are probably more fun and overall a bit better.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider

No, PLD isn't that bad, they can do all the content in the game just fine, it's just... you have to do these daily dungeons for currency that lets you buy gear and upgrades and PLD DPS compared to the DPS of other tanks is just embarrassing. They only have one AoE attack on a long cooldown and can make the dungeon take 30 minutes long instead of 25 minutes long. Doesn't seem like a huge deal but it is to me because I just get sick and tired of those damn dungeons.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I wound up just making an entirely new toon, mostly cause I couldn't really figure out what to do at 50 and also so I can be a weeby catboy.

Made it to 15 on lancer and am dicking around on botanist now. I think I want to go rogue/ninja, but I don't see guilds for them anywhere? Are they expansion only?

TheYanger

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Not sure how anyone can say the combat in this feels good. It feels 'fine' but it's still just slow ass wow-clone combat. Yeah you have lots of off GCDs, but your gcd is a year and a half so it might as well just be wow AT BEST. Animation locking stuff still sucks ass and feels clunky.

Game is fine, low level questing is boring but the storyline legitimately got interesting towards late ARR and I loved Heavensward, but all the dungeons and raids are only worth seeing once tops, yet they force you to grind like crazy.

If they want to retain people better in the next xpac, they should probably launch it with more than 2 endgame dungeons that you grind over and over. If I never see Neverreap again I'll be happy, and Fractal is better for its music than its gameplay. I know there's more since then, but the problem is worse than wow/warlords "nothing to do at cap" ever was.

Malakriss

I did the 240 relic without unlocking 50 roulette or 60 roulette, but I'm on Gilg and hunts are a serious option for currency. I despise dungeon grinding in any game because they usually are worthless except for currency farms but at least FFXIV has some variability.

TheYanger

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I did the 240 relic without unlocking 50 roulette or 60 roulette, but I'm on Gilg and hunts are a serious option for currency. I despise dungeon grinding in any game because they usually are worthless except for currency farms but at least FFXIV has some variability.
What? FF14 has the LEAST variety of any MMO. You get 2 dungeons with more being drip-fed, you get hunts. great. fun. really cool guys. And....that's about it. You get seasonal events and shit but those are grindy shit too, just GW2 events wrapped in weeabo skin.

Malakriss

What? FF14 has the LEAST variety of any MMO. You get 2 dungeons with more being drip-fed, you get hunts. great. fun. really cool guys. And....that's about it. You get seasonal events and shit but those are grindy shit too, just GW2 events wrapped in weeabo skin.
I left TOR to come play this again so I am literally laughing IRL right now at your first statement. I'm sure you'll follow up with a qualifier but we all wish even half of the other MMOs out there released content patches as often and consistently as Square.

Even cherry picking the lowest point of their cycle of leveling, progression, and catchups still puts many companies to shame. But we would all love to know which super awesome games you've been playing that are pouring down content by the week.