Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
I only started playing at Christmas, Scholar Item level 96, cleared all the Hards minus Odin and did Garuda/Moggle Mog EX. Game is super fun, caught up to the 2.5 story line but haven't started it yet. Only done WP Hard of the new 4 mans and fuck that place seriously. Way too long and the boss mechanics fall under annoying more than fun or unique. WoD is super fun, run it 4 times already but have not seen a single healer piece drop
frown.png
I do like the new weekly that allows you to upgrade Accessories to 130 without having to do Turn 12, as I have only done 1-3, so much content.... so much content.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Would rather quietly toil away on my relic than work on EX primals.
Eh, Shiva EX is really pretty easy, though what you get in PF can be a mixed bag I assume, there's people who have cleared it and still suck at doing the most simplest thing. As a DPS especially, it's like herpderp mode. She goes up in the air while spinning? Go to your assigned spot(they're chosen before the pull) and wait for the aoes to pass. 9 icicles nonsense? Find the first one, go next to it, that's where last one is, wait for mid to blow up, run to mid. She was in staff/sword and is going up the air again? That's bow time, get the fuck behind her(which you should be close to anyway if you're meleeing, just stop with side attacks for a second). During bow time, get a blue mark on your head? Get behind her. Screen flashes black? Stop moving. And that's the fight. And all of that shit is really easy to see and do.

It's one of the easiest EX, along with Levi and Mog. Ramuh and Titan are probably the hardest, Ramuh because you actually have to think about what's going on and react as a group, Titan because "OMFG SHIT'S EVERYWHERE".

Issue being, you need all the other EX first other than the 3 originals, so that can take a while, especially Ramuh. Don't know the state of the FC you're in or what though, we do primals carries every now and then. It's very easy at this point for 7people to carry a corpse through any of the content up to final coil. Hell I'd say you could do it up to T12, at which point I'm not sure if you can make the DPS checks even geared. Maybe.

Otherwise you can continue your relic I guess, but books are shit. Getting a 110weap from soldiery is an option, that's something and it's easy to get. I assume next patch they'll add welfare weapon drops for poetics weapon, but you'll need 1300poetics which takes 3weeks of poetics to get. That'll be 120 though, and they'll probably add a better way to get carbontwine too(atm you need 3000allied seals from hunts which sucks) to upgrade it to 130, which is basically, 2nd best in the game.

Saban_sl

shitlord
Suffer through an entire miserable cutters cry only to not have it give me credit for my book when i finished. Yes i had my atma equipped, i dont have any other weapon.

rrr_img_88794.jpg

Nehrak_sl

shitlord
Things I wish they'd change, relic wise:

ANIMUS
- Set <Relic Atma> to i95 in weapon damage, so that it's actually an upgrade from Zenith.
- Make the Trials of the Braves/Animus step just one big catch-all book, only they pare down the total requirements. Also would change the "must be alive in dungeon" requirement. They could even make it cost the full 1k+ in tomestones again.
- Unique books for each relic so you can do multiple at the same time (relates to the 'catch-all' book; each relic requires something a little different from the others, particularly in dungeons and the FATE bosses).

NOVUS
- Have mysterious maps have a chance to drop multiple pieces of Alexandrite (1-5). Usually is 1-2, but 3-5 possible if rarer.
- Change the infusion so that the materia you're melding puts in its listed stat, rather than 'gates' it by grade. Alternatively, make the progression equal to the grade, so you get +1/+2/+3/+4 to the stat if it's grade I/II/III/IV respectively.
- The infusion fail rate grows as the stat gets closer to its cap. In other words: you use more Tier I/II but have a much higher success rate (Tier I = 100%?), but Tier III/IV get you done faster, so your total Alexandrite count varies based on the materia grades you use. (See examples.)

Novus Example (Materia Bonus)
- Assuming no failures in infusion and Crit/Det are the infused stats; they are 44/31 respectively for stat caps on infusion in the sphere scroll.

- Player 1 uses only grade I/II. They would require a max of 11x Savage Aim II + 15x Savage Might II + 1x Savage Might I, = 27 total Alexandrite.
- Player 2 is a gillionaire and uses grade III/IV mostly. They would require 4x Savage Aim IV + 1x Savage Aim III + 1x Savage Aim I + 1x + 5x Savage Might IV + 1x Savage Might I = 13 Alexandrite
- Player 3 just uses grade I for each. This would mean 22x Savage Aim I + 31 Savage Might I = 53 Alexandrite

Novus Example (Grade Bonus)
- Assumes no failures and infusing Crit/Det.
- Minimum number is 11x Savage Aim IV + 10x Savage Might IV + 1x Savage Might I = 22 Alexandrite
- Maximum number is still 75: 44x Savage Aim I + 31x Savage Might I.
- Typical number is probably around 30-40: 6x Savage Aim III + 10x Savage Aim II + 5x Savage Might III + 8x Savage Might II = 29 Alexandrite

NEXUS
- Make Brilliant/Blinding/Newborn Star light higher, to match primal farming in light-per-time. Given that a Garuda Ex takes like 2-3 minutes tops for 8 bright, and Syrcus/World of Darkness can last about 30, I'd say the numbers should be something pretty high like 75 for Newborn Star.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
They might nerf the relic steps further next patch, maybe, since they're adding a new step. At this point though unless you dedicate your entire time to the thing, you'll probably not get done before the expansion, it takes a fucking long time to do everything. You can do fairly decent progress(unlike original atma, you generally get visible small progress all the time or RNG based progress regularily) but it's slow as shit.

I think I'll be done with Zodiac by next week or so. I'm 5/16 on the drops, have been getting 2 a day, I got super lucky and got DD and AV out of the way early, DD took one run and AV took 4. But like the shit took forever otherwise, I only had to farm "1500" old light since I was at 1000ish when the patch hit and alex I did hunts for a few days to buy what I needed, which sped up the process a decent amount and I had like 35alex from before I quit playing during 2.4 first month. But even then it took me like, a month or whatever to get 40alexandrites, meld it, then get the light. Mind, I didn't no life it as much as possible, but I still play more than most people.

On the Novus materia, tbh it's not so bad. It's only bad if you're going for the .5% DPS increase a full crit/det meld gives you, if you split 3ways with accuracy(or piety if heal), it's like 1.5-2millions depending on your server(could be less too depends I guess), which is a fair amount but not like crazy. If you then inherit several millions from a nigerian prince later on, you can just remake the stats anyway, it's like 750solds for the scroll or something and a few alexandrite, which if you do your EXDR(for solds/poetics) with the quest, you'll have sitting on your retainer anyway. Shit's totally not worth the price atm unless you're a crafter with a lot of money to spend. The alexandrite is the really annoying part of that step, not the materias.

Saban_sl

shitlord
Midgardsomr annoys the fuck out of me as a monk, a million different things firing off at the same time while trying to keep up a rotation based entirely off positional abilities? Get fucked. Also super annoying when the blue dragon aoes everyone out of the shield at the last second.

apparently you can activate the shield too early too.

Nehrak_sl

shitlord
@Pyros: That's kind of why I want them to change the progression on Novus with how materia is infused. The alexandrite quantity would drop as an indirect result, while not necessarily messing with the materia market. Grade IIs are easy to get, and would become the 'pauper' version by far, with IIIs the 'middle-class' ones for speeding it up.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
@Pyros: That's kind of why I want them to change the progression on Novus with how materia is infused. The alexandrite quantity would drop as an indirect result, while not necessarily messing with the materia market. Grade IIs are easy to get, and would become the 'pauper' version by far, with IIIs the 'middle-class' ones for speeding it up.
IIs are more rare than IIIs, for the most part. They're more expensive by a fair margin on my server. Reason is everyone spiritbinding does 45+ gear, which drops a lot of IIIs, for the chance of getting IVs. But IIs? Not nearly as many people bind those, and you still need a good amount. I guess you could bind IIs gear though if you changed the materias stuff.

Anyway, cleared T12 today, one more turn to go. Fight was really cool, even though you see a bunch of issues with the FFXIV engine. Not so much the "I was so out of that" stuff which imo is pretty clean cut nowadays, unless you're lagging, but more like, anything where you have to enter in contact with another player is such a fucking mess since there's a massive delay on characters/objects positions. Like for example you have to touch someone to pass a debuff during a specific time. You want to do it asap cause damage comes hard right after but the thing is, if you both move towards each other, you will absolutely miss it everytime. If you dare move in other directions, you're even more fucked. The only decent way to do it is have one person stand still while the other run into them. Another mechanic you have to intercept balls moving towards a player along a visible tether. Sounds like easy shit. Problem is if you actually try to connect with the ball, you're never hitting it. You have to go to the tether ahead of the ball, then intercept it that way because the ball is like half a second ahead of where you see it.

T13 doesn't look too too hard, but one of our DPS is a shitty DPS. Mechanics he kinda does alright, but his DPS is fucking garbage. He's an i120 monk and the most he does is like 400DPS. On our Phoenix kill, he got outdpsed by our DPS bard(we have 2 bards, one sings songs and the other does the deeps). This is problematic since T13 is a massive DPS check, and even for T12 we got into enrage and killed it like 10secs after(soft enrage shit). That's with no DPS deaths either. We have a BLM doing 450+ DPS luckily but it's fairly messy otherwise, and we're not really at a stage where I get to DPS while the whm solo heals. So it'd be a good time to replace him possibly, but at the same time, he just got our first carbontwine so it's kinda annoying. I think the leader is gonna check his DPS next week since he finally has poetics to buy an i120weap, if he can't DPS better with an i130weapon, there's no hope for him.

Saban_sl

shitlord
I wouldnt mind seeing either the positional requirements of monk abilities go away or greased lightning go away or have its duration doubled.

Pinadil

Lord Nagafen Raider
I just picked this up and started a Marauder on Gilgamesh. My god the backtracking on the main quest is horrendous.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
To the lurker that tried to get an FC invite from me: you caught me right as I got pulled into a duty. /Tell me again and I'll invite you this time!

Saban_sl

shitlord
Finished my Animus. Feels good man.

Apparently drop rate for Alexandrite from fates got a big boost, i just wish i could grind fates on another character. And the amount of light earned for nexus was doubled.

icarr757_sl

shitlord
Anyone know is there are any server that are good for late play? Like midnight - 8am est, and english is primary language? Ya, I don't ask for much but thats what working nights does for you.

Also, any good youtubes, wikis for getting started? Played the original long ago, and enjoyed the heck out of the Red Mage (why no RedMage now! So Iconic FF!) but am starting totally ignorant on XIV.

Thanks!

Nabi

Trakanon Raider
Anyone know is there are any server that are good for late play? Like midnight - 8am est, and english is primary language? Ya, I don't ask for much but thats what working nights does for you.

Also, any good youtubes, wikis for getting started? Played the original long ago, and enjoyed the heck out of the Red Mage (why no RedMage now! So Iconic FF!) but am starting totally ignorant on XIV.

Thanks!
I play from Korea (approx 12 hrs ahead) and it was doable. Around 6-7AM EST, max level dungeon queues as dps takes about 10 minutes to pop, but was around 20-30 when leveling ninja for lower level stuff. I'm in ISIS in Gilgamesh, so I can help you out if you decide to roll there. Also, since Gilgamesh is a pretty high pop server it should be better than most during non-peak times.

If you're going into xiv thinking it'll be anything like xi, you'll be disappointed. I think of xiv as a wow clone with some xi flavor sprinkled in. Fights are much faster paced compared to xi and no individual limit breaks or that 1hr cd special skill. There are no xp party group camping while pulling mobs for xp chains. You'll be mostly doing pug dungeons and zerg area group quests (which isn't very good during your play times). Parties are only 4 (tank, healer, 2 dps). Still I've had the most fun in xiv since xi and vanilla wow.